Covid pre-departure testing

Megabear2

We ordered LFT but then when the rules changed we were given a credit towards the PCR and kept the LFT which we now can use. The company also kept our original code and would inform UK government that we had changed. Cost was £54 this is now £74 bit of a rip-off.

My in person at Boots PCR fit to fly is £79.00 and my drive through in person PCR at Gatwick airport on day of arrival is £69.00. Considering these are in person appointments I seem to have got of light from the prices being mentioned here!

Randox, £35 for ‘day 2’ PCR if you collect the kit from one of their many locations across the country before you leave, and result by midnight next day if you drop off at one of their even more numerous collection points when you come back (and they have a drop box in Southampton so you could drop it off on the way home).

Fortunately the country I am currently in does free pre-departure tests for visitors, so no extra cost due to the recent changes for my current trip.

Edited by picsa
  • Like 1

Please be aware I have had problems finding a suitable dropbox location for use over the bank holiday period. This is from Randox when looking for a suitable drop box:

"**CHRISTMAS HOURS. THIS DROP PONT WILL BE CLOSED FROM 24TH DECEMBER THROUGH TO 04TH JANUARY 2022. THIS LOCATION WILL BE OPEN BUSINESS AS USUAL AS STATED BELOW FROM 05TH JANUARY 2022. ANY SAMPLES DROPPED BETWEEN 24th DEC 2021 TO 04TH JAN 2022 WILL NOT BE COLLECTED**

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Please be aware I have had problems finding a suitable dropbox location for use over the bank holiday period. This is from Randox when looking for a suitable drop box:

"**CHRISTMAS HOURS. THIS DROP PONT WILL BE CLOSED FROM 24TH DECEMBER THROUGH TO 04TH JANUARY 2022. THIS LOCATION WILL BE OPEN BUSINESS AS USUAL AS STATED BELOW FROM 05TH JANUARY 2022. ANY SAMPLES DROPPED BETWEEN 24th DEC 2021 TO 04TH JAN 2022 WILL NOT BE COLLECTED**

All the Randox drop boxes around me say - **THIS DROP POINT WILL REMAIN OPEN AS NORMAL THROUGHOUT THE CHRISTMAS PERIOD**

Booked on Iona for now less Christmas Markets cruise on 11 December and, as usual, P&O are impossible to contact.

I am concerned as to what happens if Pre-Departure test for re-entry to UK shows positive bearing in mind that result will be apparent whilst at sea en route back to Southampton. Are we forced into Hotel Quarantine at massive expense or would we be permitted to travel home to isolate?

Anyone have any thoughts?

10 minutes ago, mobilegb12 said:

Booked on Iona for now less Christmas Markets cruise on 11 December and, as usual, P&O are impossible to contact.

I am concerned as to what happens if Pre-Departure test for re-entry to UK shows positive bearing in mind that result will be apparent whilst at sea en route back to Southampton. Are we forced into Hotel Quarantine at massive expense or would we be permitted to travel home to isolate?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hotel quarantine is only for those returning from red list countries atm. I guess we will know for sure when the rules change tomorrow.

8 hours ago, jipsy said:

"Also should the requirement for these tests change do said providers have a refund policy."

Randox have just been taken to task on this (by the gov/CMA - see link) , hopefully other reputable firms will also adapt.. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-secures-changes-from-major-pcr-testing-provider

ps I used Randox earlier in the year and they were absolutely fine 

I have just returned from America today. I had bought Day 2 LFTs from Testing for All for £17 each, before we travelled. Whilst away they emailed me to explain the change in the UK rules, they refunded the cost of the Day 2 LFTs,  and gave a link to purchase their Day 2 tests for £48 each if we wanted too.

The tests were at home when we arrived, very easy to do, and dropped into our local Royal Mail priority box.

We used Testing for All on a previous trip 3 months ago, and we got our PCR results in less than 48 hours.

14 hours ago, Notts1964 said:

I have just returned from America today. I had bought Day 2 LFTs from Testing for All for £17 each, before we travelled. Whilst away they emailed me to explain the change in the UK rules, they refunded the cost of the Day 2 LFTs,  and gave a link to purchase their Day 2 tests for £48 each if we wanted too.

The tests were at home when we arrived, very easy to do, and dropped into our local Royal Mail priority box.

We used Testing for All on a previous trip 3 months ago, and we got our PCR results in less than 48 hours.

We have also used Testing for All as it is recommended by Which? Both of our results came back on the day TFA received them mine at 2.30 pm and the DH's at 10pm

Has anyone obtained any info from their travel agent or P&O how the 48hr pre U.K. arrival test will occur. Last port of call is  Vigo. There are then 2 days at sea. 

Will testing be done at Vigo and positive case’s offloaded. Or will it be done on the last 2 sea days. If the latter will passengers not be allowed to disembark in Southampton 🧐

Edited by Stu UK

Have just spent 40 minutes on the telephone asking what arrangements P&O are making for these 48 hour before arrival tests to have a script read to me stating they are currently having a meeting to discuss this.  Apparently this is on the agenda today because they consider it new from 4.00am this morning and did not feel the need to meet on the announcement in case it changed again.

Hopefully an announcement will be forthcoming after this meeting. 

Regarding PCR day 2 tests a search of available postal tests over the Christmas period 24 to 4 January has thrown up only 18 companies in the UK operating a guaranteed drop box/mail in service.  In person has around 148 companies available but for those in less accessible areas it will mean a drive of around 60 miles or so.  My friend in Truro would need to travel 130 miles apparently.  No wonder Javid told the House yesterday he was having words with the testing companies.

Hopefully anyone needing a quick turnaround for work will already have booked something.

• Like 2

I’m trying to shelve my “not knowing what on earth the logistics will be” on this cruise until later this week when hopefully P and O will have processed updates and convey this clearly to us. But it’s not easy!

And some of these PCR companies - some who seem to be little more than scalpers -  using all this as an opportunity to make more money. But can’t wait to be on this cruise….fingers and toes crossed tightly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Have just spent 40 minutes on the telephone asking what arrangements P&O are making for these 48 hour before arrival tests to have a script read to me stating they are currently having a meeting to discuss this.  Apparently this is on the agenda today because they consider it new from 4.00am this morning and did not feel the need to meet on the announcement in case it changed again.

Hopefully an announcement will be forthcoming after this meeting. 

Regarding PCR day 2 tests a search of available postal tests over the Christmas period 24 to 4 January has thrown up only 18 companies in the UK operating a guaranteed drop box/mail in service.  In person has around 148 companies available but for those in less accessible areas it will mean a drive of around 60 miles or so.  My friend in Truro would need to travel 130 miles apparently.  No wonder Javid told the House yesterday he was having words with the testing companies.

Hopefully anyone needing a quick turnaround for work will already have booked something.

I am further down than Truro and my mother lives in a village nearby and I have spent ages trying to sort things out prior to our cruise  on 15th January. I know we have a while yet, but there as you say there is Christmas and the New Year to contend with.

21 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I am further down than Truro and my mother lives in a village nearby and I have spent ages trying to sort things out prior to our cruise  on 15th January. I know we have a while yet, but there as you say there is Christmas and the New Year to contend with.

Hopefully postal will be okay for you.  It's the very long period where Royal Mail, couriers and local drop off points are closed that is causing the problem for those travelling over Christmas/New Year.

Good luck with your organisation and enjoy your cruise.

Does anyone know that if a PCR or LTF is required two days before departure how this will pan out for a cruise taking 10 days to return to the UK. 6 sailing, 1 in Ponta Delgada and another 3 back to Southampton. I understand that because I am full vaccinated the LTF is sufficient and then a PCR within two days of returning to the UK.

Just now, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Does anyone know that if a PCR or LTF is required two days before departure how this will pan out for a cruise taking 10 days to return to the UK. 6 sailing, 1 in Ponta Delgada and another 3 back to Southampton. I understand that because I am full vaccinated the LTF is sufficient and then a PCR within two days of returning to the UK.

Sorry meant LFT.

24 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I assume that P&O will carry out the tests in the two days prior to arrival in Southampton. 

I had an Email yesterday from my Travel Agent and it states that I will be able to get the 48hour test regarding entry back into the UK onboard ship but cost was unknown.

I am going on the Xmas/New Year cruise on the Iona and I think P&O should be more proactive in updating its website as it is not leaving us much time to sort something out if this is not the case. I have already purchased my PCR day 2 test.

Does anyone have more information on this.

Thank you

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shipper23 said:

as it is not leaving us much time to sort something out if this is not the case. 

To be honest, if P&O do not organise the tests on board, it will be virtually impossible for you to arrange to do the tests yourself, other than through a video link, which I would think would be problematic at sea. 

• Like 1

They are aiming for tests on board, confirmation will follow after their meeting. I get the impression its logistics rather than product which is geing discussed.  My returned call from my P&O contact said the costs would most likely be as advertised.

I think that for those on Caribbean itineraries the discussions also include the "return" inside 72 hour PCR test to get back into Barbados and whether there's anyway they can sort out not testing the whole ship twice which will take some organising if deemed necessary.

Edited by Megabear2

• Host Sharon changed the title to Covid pre-departure testing

Looks like Cunard have updated their FAQ’s. Shame P&O are so slow. I’m guessing it will be similar. 

From Tuesday 7 December (GMT) onwards, all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LF (lateral flow) Covid-19 test before they travel to England from abroad. They must take the test in the 2 days before their journey to England departs.

• For those people on a cruise returning to Southampton, this can be provided and organised on board at a cost of $25. This will be charged to your on board account. “

Still no explication re a positive test. 

1 minute ago, Stu UK said:

Looks like Cunard have updated their FAQ’s. Shame P&O are so slow. I’m guessing it will be similar. 

From Tuesday 7 December (GMT) onwards, all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LF (lateral flow) Covid-19 test before they travel to England from abroad. They must take the test in the 2 days before their journey to England departs.

• For those people on a cruise returning to Southampton, this can be provided and organised on board at a cost of $25. This will be charged to your on board account. “

Still no explication re a positive test. 

If you are driving home then if positive you will be allowed to go straight home and self isolate for 10days. If you are on a coach or other form of transport that is a totally different ball game and very difficult to know what would happen. People have mentioned that in that situation then P&O arrange a taxi to take you home at cost to yourselves but depending on where you live could cost a fortune and dont know if you could claim it off travel insurance.