Covid pre-departure testing

Megabear2

19 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

They are aiming for tests on board, confirmation will follow after their meeting. I get the impression its logistics rather than product which is geing discussed.  My returned call from my P&O contact said the costs would most likely be as advertised.

I think that for those on Caribbean itineraries the discussions also include the "return" inside 72 hour PCR test to get back into Barbados and whether there's anyway they can sort out not testing the whole ship twice which will take some organising if deemed necessary.

Someone asked about how they would get tested in Barbados on Twitter before the flight home and P&O replied saying they would need to find a private provider. Utterly ridiculous, they have just quoted the government website and caused more confusion for everyone. They would be better off saying that they don’t know yet! It would be impossible to find a private provider before the flight when everyone will be needing to use the coach transfers provided by p&o to the airport. I am also going on the Britannia on 31st December.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If you are driving home then if positive you will be allowed to go straight home and self isolate for 10days. If you are on a coach or other form of transport that is a totally different ball game and very difficult to know what would happen. People have mentioned that in that situation then P&O arrange a taxi to take you home at cost to yourselves but depending on where you live could cost a fortune and dont know if you could claim it off travel insurance.

I would hate to think how much a taxi would cost us as we are at the far end of Cornwall! 

50 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I would hate to think how much a taxi would cost us as we are at the far end of Cornwall! 

I live in Kent and will be travelling by private hire car to Southampton. In August it was £320 return. Hopefully the price will be the same in January but the extended journey time we experienced means the company are considering increasing the price. The alternative is train with changes and a cross London journey. Something which I want to avoid in these Omicron times.

11 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I live in Kent and will be travelling by private hire car to Southampton. In August it was £320 return. Hopefully the price will be the same in January but the extended journey time we experienced means the company are considering increasing the price. The alternative is train with changes and a cross London journey. Something which I want to avoid in these Omicron times.

Blimey ! It makes you realise the value of the Saga "free" transfer to and from the port.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Blimey ! It makes you realise the value of the Saga "free" transfer to and from the port.

Yes, but if you look into the small print there is often a limit on the distance. 

We have booked a taxi which is £400. Train journeys from here can take about 6 hours, if there are no problems, but include either 1, 2 or 3 changes depending on the routes they take. A taxi for 3 of us is a slightly more expensive option, but we are not lugging luggage around.

43 minutes ago, jipsy said:

Just seen that P&O will supply the 2 day arrivals PCR test @ £25 and its will be added to our on board account, so no need to arrange before departure. 

Just wondering where you saw this information, please as this could affect my imminent cruise plans?

2 minutes ago, whycantilogin said:

Just wondering where you saw this information, please as this could affect my imminent cruise plans?

It is on the P&O web site, Q&A

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.our-covid-19-protocols.Do-I-now-need-to-take-a-Covid-19-test-prior-to-entry-re-entry-into-England.summary?sf251960258=1&fbclid=IwAR3Ielf2mIhpx-iN0rIuPrBEa5wjC3Y3hfUwRPgTKdUt4M3S7C3R09Gw3-Y

Edited by yorkshirephil

3 minutes ago, whycantilogin said:

Is that Q&A of FAQs, please as I cannot find it?  Would it be possible to provide a link?  Thank you. 

Already have so much documentation to complete today that it has become a bit of a nightmare.

Thank you for providing the link.  Much appreciated.  It's just a shame that P&O do not seem to think it necessary to directly contact and update passengers who have already telephoned and asked this information only two days ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whycantilogin said:

Thank you for providing the link.  Much appreciated.  It's just a shame that P&O do not seem to think it necessary to directly contact and update passengers who have already telephoned and asked this information only two days ago.

Agree. I get how challenging it must be for them as things rapidly change but sadly this sort of proactivity is not one of their strengths.

Edited by Camberley

1 hour ago, jipsy said:

Just seen that P&O will supply the 2 day arrivals PCR test @ £25 and its will be added to our on board account, so no need to arrange before departure. 

I cannot see this at all. Do you mean the pre departure test:

From Tuesday 7 December (GMT) onwards all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LF (lateral flow) COVID-19 test before they travel to England from abroad. They must take the test in the 2 days before their journey to England departs:

• For those people on a cruise in the days before returning to England, this can be provided and organised on board at a cost of £18 (POC)/$25 (CUN). This will be charged to your on-board account.
  • If you are entering England via a direct flight or an indirect flight (a flight with multiple stops or connecting flights) you must take the test in the 2 days before your first flight.

These rules apply to everyone, whether they qualify as ‘fully vaccinated’ or not."

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I cannot see this at all. Do you mean the pre departure test:

From Tuesday 7 December (GMT) onwards all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LF (lateral flow) COVID-19 test before they travel to England from abroad. They must take the test in the 2 days before their journey to England departs:

• For those people on a cruise in the days before returning to England, this can be provided and organised on board at a cost of £18 (POC)/$25 (CUN). This will be charged to your on-board account.
  • If you are entering England via a direct flight or an indirect flight (a flight with multiple stops or connecting flights) you must take the test in the 2 days before your first flight.

These rules apply to everyone, whether they qualify as ‘fully vaccinated’ or not."

Given it is either PCR or LF, then hoping I can take the free NHS LF kits with us to save paying onboard in the last 2 days before returning to Southampton. Just waiting for P and O to confirm this query that I contacted them about earlier.

Edited by Camberley

Just had an e-mail from P&O in relation to 'Iona' cruise departing Saturday that the test required for entry back to UK will be conducted on board at no extra cost. Still not clear however as to outcome on return to UK should this prove positive.

Saga free transport is up to 75 miles in a private car or - I believe - 250 miles in shared transport which normally means a minivan with one other couple so considerable saving.

• Like 1

Can someone please help me? I’m getting married on Tuesday 28th December and due to fly to Barbados on Friday 31st December. I need to get a PCR test done before flying and as far as I was aware I could get it done anytime within 3 days of flying so could either get it done on 28th, 29th or 30th. 

If I look on P&O’s FAQ it states: If you arrive in Barbados on a Friday, you will be required to have the PCR test any time on the 3rd day before which would be a Tuesday.

I can’t get tested on the Tuesday as it’s my wedding day so have booked it in Boots on the 29th at 10:30am with hope I will receive the results back before check in. Will this be suffice? Thanks

Not sure whether this is the best place to post this, but this concerns P&O's pre-flight antigen test at Gatwick...

I drove to Collinson's drive through Covid testing centre at APH Parking, near Gatwick Airport today for my own PCR test compliant with Barbados entry requirements. 

Everything went smoothly and expect results to be returned within 48 hours (or maybe a little later since the laboratories are now over-stretched).  Was told that all the P&O airport antigen tests will be taking place there through Collinson.  As I had already arranged to leave my car at APH anyhow whilst on my cruise, I was told to drive to the Covid testing area again on the day of my flight, remain in the car where the test will take place.  Results should be available within 15 minutes.  After receiving these I then drive a few metres further to leave my car in the usual parking drop-off area in APH.  After leaving my car keys at reception I then hop on their bus, along with my luggage, and am transported to the airport (around 10 minutes drive). 

It was recommended that I do not drop off my car first and then proceed with my luggage to the white tent where the tests will also take place for those who have been bussed in from the airport, as it would be much warmer in my car whilst waiting for the results.

Those going directly to Gatwick airport by car may find this information useful to avoid going to and fro with their luggage in tow.

2 hours ago, JessicaB97 said:

Can someone please help me? I’m getting married on Tuesday 28th December and due to fly to Barbados on Friday 31st December. I need to get a PCR test done before flying and as far as I was aware I could get it done anytime within 3 days of flying so could either get it done on 28th, 29th or 30th. 

If I look on P&O’s FAQ it states: If you arrive in Barbados on a Friday, you will be required to have the PCR test any time on the 3rd day before which would be a Tuesday.

I can’t get tested on the Tuesday as it’s my wedding day so have booked it in Boots on the 29th at 10:30am with hope I will receive the results back before check in. Will this be suffice? Thanks

If it is not possible to have the PCR test on the Tuesday then I suggest asking Boots what their turnaround time is.  Most tests are sent away to outside laboratories and it therefore depends on them.  There are other companies which provide next day results, but you would have to find out those in your area.  Also be aware that you are not allowed to have a Rapid PCR test for entry either (see https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-19-travel-guidelines-2021 ).

Hope this helps and have a lovely wedding day.

2 hours ago, mobilegb12 said:

Just had an e-mail from P&O in relation to 'Iona' cruise departing Saturday that the test required for entry back to UK will be conducted on board at no extra cost. Still not clear however as to outcome on return to UK should this prove positive.

Saga free transport is up to 75 miles in a private car or - I believe - 250 miles in shared transport which normally means a minivan with one other couple so considerable saving.

Yes, you are correct about the Saga transport,  but at present all transfers are done by private car - no shared van. As no overnight hotel is required,  I reckon we "save" about £350 with the Saga transfer,  once you take the  car park saving  into account.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, you are correct about the Saga transport,  but at present all transfers are done by private car - no shared van. As no overnight hotel is required,  I reckon we "save" about £350 with the Saga transfer,  once you take the  car park saving  into account.

I guess the return transfers cannot possibly happen for any cruisers who catch the new variant

Which brings up the question how exactly would they get home safely? Or would they need to quarantine in Southampton until negative?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

15 hours ago, purplesea said:

Yes, but if you look into the small print there is often a limit on the distance. 

We have booked a taxi which is £400. Train journeys from here can take about 6 hours, if there are no problems, but include either 1, 2 or 3 changes depending on the routes they take. A taxi for 3 of us is a slightly more expensive option, but we are not lugging luggage around.

Not since Covid. Neither is the transport shared at present.