Bathtubes removed from Penthouse Suites on the Pearl-Just got a letter.

JCMass.

17 minutes ago, emilysmom97 said:

I'm not big on baths but I did decide to take one on The Gem in the Haven once. I noticed a security camera right outside and got out immediately. LOL. You're too low to see out the window anyway. F7C861F1-2765-4F42-B722-43FB22492DBC_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c7e8b72a6aac7b2d24a6a287566fb50d.jpeg

Is this from one of the OS on Deck 9 or 10?

I'm pretty sure the window in the 2BR suites are bigger, with a good view... and no security camera.

I had read about those cameras and tubs in the Owner Suites...

😞

GC

9 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'm pretty sure the window in the 2BR suites are bigger, with a good view... and no security camera.

😞

GC

Security cameras outside the tub window?? Yikes! Just...why? I didn't know it was like this on the Gem. Anyhow, on other ships (Pearl, Jewel, Star, etc.) the tubs in the 2 Bedroom Suites had huge windows right at the tub level, so you can see out perfectly. And there are no cameras, you're just looking out over the side of the ship to the ocean.

P.S. @ GC - on the Panama Canal Roll Call, disneyfan72 said they are booked in a 2 Bedroom Suite, and promised to report back after the cruise! Fingers crossed that the new layout is as nice as the original, even if there's no tub.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

Agree this is from the Star 2BR March 2019. Looks straight down onto the water.  No cameras. We checked.  The balcony is off the living room. So the bathroom window and tub here is where a second balcony would be. And there was a small window on the side that faces the balcony form a side view. . We kept that shade closed. 

9B8FBA0B-9883-468D-852D-6BFE7F515D1D.jpeg

19 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

😞

GC

Yes, it was the owners suite. I swear there was a security camera outside. I even made a joke to the captain during the meet and greet. 😄

2 minutes ago, milolii said:

Agree this is from the Star 2BR March 2019. Looks straight down onto the water.  No cameras. We checked.  The balcony is off the living room. So the bathroom window and tub here is where a second balcony would be. And there was a small window on the side that faces the balcony form a side view. . We kept that shade closed. 

9B8FBA0B-9883-468D-852D-6BFE7F515D1D.jpeg

Oh, now that is so nice!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Arizona Packer Backer said:

Security cameras outside the tub window?? Yikes! Just...why? I didn't know it was like this on the Gem. Anyhow, on other ships (Pearl, Jewel, Star, etc.) the tubs in the 2 Bedroom Suites had huge windows right at the tub level, so you can see out perfectly. And there are no cameras, you're just looking out over the side of the ship to the ocean.

P.S. @ GC - on the Panama Canal Roll Call, disneyfan72 said they are booked in a 2 Bedroom Suite, and promised to report back after the cruise! Fingers crossed that the new layout is as nice as the original, even if there's no tub.

About those cameras...!!

The OS on decks 9 & 10 have two balconies, a forward-facing one off the BR, and a side balcony off the LR.  The tub (see the floor plans, IF they are still accurate, ahem...) has a window onto the side balcony.  I think there is a regular "side view" security camera off the side there and it happens to catch that window.   I would have thought there'd be a shade or louvres to close the view there.

But wait...  I didn't realize there was a larger "side of the ship" window, so maybe this isn't what I was thinking of?

Which is the oldest Jewel class ship?  The Jewel?  Maybe that's what this photo is of?  It's hard to tell without more detail showing just which bathroom this is.

Arizona PB... what do you envision the layout being if "as nice" without the tub?  What would you put in that space?   They'd need to match the floor tiles... or...?
Well... we'll see eventually.  Maybe it will make sense. (??)

All we can do at this point is aimlessly speculate!

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Arizona PB... what do you envision the layout being if "as nice" without the tub?  What would you put in that space?   They'd need to match the floor tiles... or...?
Well... we'll see eventually.  Maybe it will make sense. (??)

All we can do at this point is aimlessly speculate!

And speculate I happily will!  😄 I'm wondering if they might have enlarged the shower area? Because granted, that wasn't the largest shower, just kind of long and narrow. (Not that I'm complaining, because that view!!)  But if they had to remove the tub, then maybe they are putting a huge shower area against the outer wall where the windows are now? Maybe a steam shower or something, or one of those showers with lots of different jets? While hopefully still preserving the view through the windows, although I wouldn't mind if the window was a tad higher if it's just a shower. Anyway, I can't imagine what else would go there. A bench window seat??? Lol! So for me, that's best case scenario, I guess.

What I'm worried they will do is remove the wall between the bathroom and the living area, and reconfigure everything so that the bathroom no longer has windows, and the living space/bedroom is "open concept", with the bathroom where the master bedroom is now. Which, IMHO, would ruin the whole point of that suite! One of the great things about those 2 bedroom suites is that you can have 6 people in there, and each "couple" has their own space. I've been in that room with other relatives in the 2nd bedroom, and it was nice because if they wanted to be up early, they could make coffee, watch TV, sit out on the balcony, etc., and we could sleep in because the bedroom was separate. And, I actually like how the master bed is laid out in that room - it's kind of cozy and easy to make it dark in there if you want to nap during the day. 

Lastly, I love the wood paneling in the suites of the older ships (Jewel class, Star, etc.) and I'm REALLY hoping that they don't remove it and make everything grey and white like every other hotel around the world has done. There's enough grey rooms for the people who like that, please leave the beautiful paneling for those of us who still enjoy it! But I don't have high hopes on that one.

That's my two cents!  😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Packer Backer said:

And speculate I happily will!  😄 I'm wondering if they might have enlarged the shower area? Because granted, that wasn't the largest shower, just kind of long and narrow. (Not that I'm complaining, because that view!!)  But if they had to remove the tub, then maybe they are putting a huge shower area against the outer wall where the windows are now? Maybe a steam shower or something, or one of those showers with lots of different jets? While hopefully still preserving the view through the windows, although I wouldn't mind if the window was a tad higher if it's just a shower. Anyway, I can't imagine what else would go there. A bench window seat??? Lol! So for me, that's best case scenario, I guess.

What I'm worried they will do is remove the wall between the bathroom and the living area, and reconfigure everything so that the bathroom no longer has windows, and the living space/bedroom is "open concept", with the bathroom where the master bedroom is now. Which, IMHO, would ruin the whole point of that suite! One of the great things about those 2 bedroom suites is that you can have 6 people in there, and each "couple" has their own space. I've been in that room with other relatives in the 2nd bedroom, and it was nice because if they wanted to be up early, they could make coffee, watch TV, sit out on the balcony, etc., and we could sleep in because the bedroom was separate. And, I actually like how the master bed is laid out in that room - it's kind of cozy and easy to make it dark in there if you want to nap during the day. 

Lastly, I love the wood paneling in the suites of the older ships (Jewel class, Star, etc.) and I'm REALLY hoping that they don't remove it and make everything grey and white like every other hotel around the world has done. There's enough grey rooms for the people who like that, please leave the beautiful paneling for those of us who still enjoy it! But I don't have high hopes on that one.

That's my two cents!  😉 

Interesting.

IF they put some sort of ultra shower in front of that window... no water view from the main BR/bed at all.  Not at all good for us.

But thinking about moving the bathroom to where the Master bed is.  Well, they'd have to move ALL of the plumbing include the toilet, so any speculation about this possibility is, in my opinion, nuts.  But anyway 😉 that would work IF they kept the main BR with that window (I don't see them changing an exterior window on a ship), but they keep a wall with door there.  Just switching the BR and BA areas.  Keep the LR separate.  I agree about keeping the three separate areas in those 2BR suites.

Oh, and PUT THE TUB BACK IN THAT NEW BA AREA!

Heh.

GC

13 minutes ago, Arizona Packer Backer said:

That's my two cents!  😉 

Seems they are competing with Celebrity and the Iconic suite.  They won’t be able to do it but they can try.

9 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

IF they put some sort of ultra shower in front of that window... no water view from the main BR/bed at all.  Not at all good for us.

And THAT'S why I'm not an architect, lol! I hadn't thought of that aspect. But then again, I don't mind not having a water view from the bed; I usually spend a lot of time out on the balcony, anyway, and I love being in that bathroom and doing my hair/makeup with a water view. But I know that lots of folks like a view from the bed, so I totally understand that.

Either way, the suspense is killing me!! 

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

3 minutes ago, Arizona Packer Backer said:

And THAT'S why I'm not an architect, lol! I hadn't thought of that aspect. But then again, I don't mind not having a water view from the bed; I usually spend a lot of time out on the balcony, anyway, and I love being in that bathroom and doing my hair/makeup with a water view. But I know that lots of folks like a view from the bed, so I totally understand that.

Either way, the suspense is killing me!! 

Okay, keep your day job! 😁

I have a bad foot, so I tend to spend more time horizontal than many others.  (And okay, at this stage in my life, I can sometimes be a bit lazy...)

Note our avatar.  Those are our feet.  In the DOS of the Dawn, when I finally (FINALLY!) got DH to "just try this one cruise with the kids and grand".  My first cruises were back in the 1970s, and I got tired of sailing without him.  

So... there we were with this AMAZING forward view, right over the Bridge.

By the second day, he was totally hooked, and he took this photo of us relaxing in bed making sure the Captain kept the ship on track.  Heh.

But we both agree that a VIEW is essential (and we feel the same way at destination hotels).  Preferably a forward view, but that is not always available or feasible, depending upon capacity or pricing, etc.

Our favorite was the OS (should be a DOS for sure) on the Sun, with a northbound Alaska cruise. We snagged the starboard OS, so we had a view of the coast and all of those snow-capped mountains, etc.  We had almost all of our meals served en suite, and we sat there watching the scenery... when we weren't in the bed watching the scenery!  (No view from the big bathroom, but we were very happy campers!). Oh, HUGE forward balcony, private hot tub.  Yup!!

What I just cannot shake is... WHY remove a Tub With A View when there is a very nice separate shower?  Yes, we'll see what they NCL powers-that-be thought was so important that *this* was the time to spend money on something not at all critical...

Maybe, just maybe, they'll have a wonderful surprise for all of us!

GC

30 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

So... there we were with this AMAZING forward view, right over the Bridge.

By the second day, he was totally hooked, and he took this photo of us relaxing in bed making sure the Captain kept the ship on track.  Heh.

I love your story and pic, that's awesome!  😄  And I don't blame you one bit, that sounds like a fabulous way to cruise - especially that OS in Alaska, niiiice!!

What also annoys me from the email is this comment    - 'continuously elevate the guest experience'  By depriving me of my relaxing pre dinner soak in the tub, this in no way elevates my experience - it totally detracts, as a 5 minute shower cannot compare to a relaxing half hour reading a good book, enjoying a quiet drink wallowing in my hot, germ ridden bubble bath tub (I dont mind germs, I am British, I have lived with them for 59 years and they have not harmed me).

• Like 2

A poster on FB currently on board the Dawn reports tubs still in rooms, and did not  think the change had occurred on the Dawn.  

Poster asked at M&G about the changes and communications to guests, but crew did not seem to be aware of that timeline, but took note of guests concerns. 

On 12/14/2021 at 4:42 PM, GeezerCouple said:

At least we have our "faux x-rated fun photo" from a previous sailing in a Haven 2BR.

I am sitting in bubbles up to my shoulders, looking out the window, so my face is in silhouette (so it IS "me"!).

We did the same thing! 🙂

15 hours ago, rigs32 said:

Huh.  Apparently 90% of my friends/family, and me, are “low rent” for having tubs in our master bathrooms.  

Thats not what I said and I was talking about myself.  My entire life I lived in apartments and houses built in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970's and 1980's.  No matter where I lived, I showered in a tub. Its just the way houses and apartments were built.  My mom used to tell me as a kid that true luxury is having a separate tub and shower. But that is something we never had.  I loved showering in nice hotels or even cruise ships in just a shower.  Just this year I ripped out my 1957 small bathtub and remodeled my bathroom to have just a shower.  It is so nice to shower on a level floor and have more room.  This summer I stayed in a remodeled Hampton Suites hotel and they also ripped out the small tub/shower combo and put in a big shower.  If you have small kids, you need a small tub.  But a combo (of anything really) never lets you shower well or have a nice soak.  The tub is too small and your shower has you standing pretty much in the same spot.

So that is what I meant in a JOKING manner that shower/tub combos are low rent.  I am 51 and I finally made it to the luxury side and dont shower in a tub 😆😁😉

IMHO shower/tub combos are going the way of shower curtains 😗

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Thats not what I said and I was talking about myself.  My entire life I lived in apartments and houses built in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970's and 1980's.  No matter where I lived, I showered in a tub. Its just the way houses and apartments were built.  My mom used to tell me as a kid that true luxury is having a separate tub and shower. But that is something we never had.  I loved showering in nice hotels or even cruise ships in just a shower.  Just this year I ripped out my 1957 small bathtub and remodeled my bathroom to have just a shower.  It is so nice to shower on a level floor and have more room.  This summer I stayed in a remodeled Hampton Suites hotel and they also ripped out the small tub/shower combo and put in a big shower.  If you have small kids, you need a small tub.  But a combo (of anything really) never lets you shower well or have a nice soak.  The tub is too small and your shower has you standing pretty much in the same spot.

So that is what I meant in a JOKING manner that shower/tub combos are low rent.  I am 51 and I finally made it to the luxury side and dont shower in a tub 😆😁😉

IMHO shower/tub combos are going the way of shower curtains 😗

"...But a combo (of anything really) never lets you shower well or have a nice soak.  The tub is too small and your shower has you standing pretty much in the same spot..."

[emphasis added]

There is no reason why a shower using a tub instead of its own tile/etc., floor needs to be "too small" for a "nice soak"!  When we redid our two main bathrooms, in the primary, we put in a large stone tiled shower with separate showerheads and separate thermostats.  In the second bathroom, we have nice large, deep soaking tub, and there is a regular showerhead from the upper wall and a separate hand-held shower.  This is the same as is set up for uncountable "tub/shower combos".  The size of the tub was not constrained by the fact that water falling from a showerhead might be landing inside it.

If size matters, then choose the size you want. 😉

GC

47 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

"...But a combo (of anything really) never lets you shower well or have a nice soak.  The tub is too small and your shower has you standing pretty much in the same spot..."

[emphasis added]

There is no reason why a shower using a tub instead of its own tile/etc., floor needs to be "too small" for a "nice soak"!  When we redid our two main bathrooms, in the primary, we put in a large stone tiled shower with separate showerheads and separate thermostats.  In the second bathroom, we have nice large, deep soaking tub, and there is a regular showerhead from the upper wall and a separate hand-held shower.  This is the same as is set up for uncountable "tub/shower combos".  The size of the tub was not constrained by the fact that water falling from a showerhead might be landing inside it.

If size matters, then choose the size you want. 😉

GC

I am sure its beautiful and no doubt you like it.  Its just not for me.  After a half century I cherish my real shower.  In fact, the bigger the tub creates problems stepping in etc.  On the NCL Epic, the penthouse suite has a gigantic garden tub where you had to shower.  It was a pain getting in and out and the walls curved so much that you could only stand in the same place.

Shower tub combos are like wire hangers to me.  NO SHOWER/TUB COMBOS EVER!!!

To each their own 😊

2 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I am sure its beautiful and no doubt you like it.  Its just not for me.  After a half century I cherish my real shower.  In fact, the bigger the tub creates problems stepping in etc.  On the NCL Epic, the penthouse suite has a gigantic garden tub where you had to shower.  It was a pain getting in and out and the walls curved so much that you could only stand in the same place.

To each their own 😊

Absolutely, to each their own, etc.!

My point was not about difficulties with "tub/shower combos", and especially when there is no other way to shower for those who have trouble with the high sides.  That can be a real problem, for sure, and dangerous.

(But if there is a separate shower, then that "problem" vanishes".  No one is required to use a tub they don't want to use if they prefer to use a shower that is also available.  That's the question to NCL, too, obviously.)

My point was about your statement that the tubs in a "tub/shower combos" were "too small" for nice baths, presumably for those who do want to take baths.  Tubs come in a tremendous choice of sizes (and shapes, etc.).

That's all.

One other issue with "shower only" may be difficulties for those with little ones...  I never had to bath wee ones or toddlers or even certain youngsters with "only a shower", but I wouldn't want to need to do that all the time.  Fortunately, that's no longer a problem for us.

GC

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

"I understood that reference!"  😉 😆

Regarding tubs/showers, *don't go to Europe! We joke that the bathtub/shower combos in Europe are like doing the Lambeau Leap to get in and out! I don't know what the European fascination is with high walled tubs that contain showers, and that useless, narrow wall of glass perched on the tub (which does NOTHING to contain the water) but it seems like half the hotels in Europe got their bathrooms fitted out by the same company, lol! I don't generally mind bathtub/shower combos, but I will say that I could do without the ones in Europe.

*P.S. Do go to Europe. It's lovely. You've probably been there. Just wanted to clarify. 😉 

We have an upcoming b2b on the Pearl in a penthouse with "large" balcony and we got the same letter, sharing NCL's dedication to elevating our experience and then taking away something we enjoy! On the same day we received the tub letter we also got this one. I am not sure what it is referring to. Did anyone else get one of these? I don't know about you but I am starting to wish they valued us a little less and cared about us a little more....margretha

PS: What is the priority access package? TA on holiday until the 29th and our invoice doesn't show anything like any priority access to anything.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,
We are delighted you will join us onboard in the near future.
As we return to sail, we are doing everything we can to make your experience truly spectacular. However, at times, we must modify our offerings slightly. To that end, we are not able to offer the priority access package for your sailing.
Please be advised that a full refund will be automatically returned to the form of payment you provided at the time of reservation for the priority access package. No further action is required on your part, your refund will be automatically processed within 30 business days. You will see the refund returned within 7-10 business days from the processed date. The visibility of the funds is dependent on your
financial institution’s internal policies.
We appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard!

4 minutes ago, margretha said:

We have an upcoming b2b on the Pearl in a penthouse with "large" balcony and we got the same letter, sharing NCL's dedication to elevating our experience and then taking away something we enjoy! On the same day we received the tub letter we also got this one. I am not sure what it is referring to. Did anyone else get one of these? I don't know about you but I am starting to wish they valued us a little less and cared about us a little more....margretha

PS: What is the priority access package? TA on holiday until the 29th and our invoice doesn't show anything like any priority access to anything.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,
We are delighted you will join us onboard in the near future.
As we return to sail, we are doing everything we can to make your experience truly spectacular. However, at times, we must modify our offerings slightly. To that end, we are not able to offer the priority access package for your sailing.
Please be advised that a full refund will be automatically returned to the form of payment you provided at the time of reservation for the priority access package. No further action is required on your part, your refund will be automatically processed within 30 business days. You will see the refund returned within 7-10 business days from the processed date. The visibility of the funds is dependent on your
financial institution’s internal policies.
We appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard!

I never heard of it before.

However, Google has just helped:

https://www.ncl.com/priority-access-faq

Apparently it's a way to pay extra to get on sooner, get priority tendering, plus goodies like one day's worth of canapes, a $50 spa discount per person, and complimentary "standard" room service for breakfast...

And it wasn't free:

Q - How much does it cost?
A - Package prices are set by cabin and on the number of days in the sailing: 

• 3 to 5 Days - $99 per cabin
  • 6 to 9 Days - $179 per cabin
  • 10 to 15 Days - $249 per cabin
  • 16+ Days - $299 per cabin

GC