Bathtubes removed from Penthouse Suites on the Pearl-Just got a letter.

JCMass.

See the letter below, our cruise isn't until next October we will be going to Bermuda out of Boston.  I am happy to see the tubs go, they were very narrow with a soft bottom and were difficult to get in and out of.  I think this will be a great improvement.

December 14, 2021

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding stateroom category changes aboard Norwegian Pearl.

As part of our ongoing efforts to continuously elevate the guest experience, Norwegian Pearl underwent a renovation prior to her restart in December 2021, resulting in redesigned onboard accommodations.  As such, bathtubs in select staterooms, including The Haven Suites were removed. This change was not reflected in our system until recently. It has come to our attention that you are currently reserved in one of the affected staterooms or suites, however, please note this does not change your current stateroom location or number.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Pearl for your vacation at sea!

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Senior Vice President, Guest Services

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

See the letter below, our cruise isn't until next October we will be going to Bermuda out of Boston.  I am happy to see the tubs go, they were very narrow with a soft bottom and were difficult to get in and out of.  I think this will be a great improvement.

December 14, 2021

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding stateroom category changes aboard Norwegian Pearl.

As part of our ongoing efforts to continuously elevate the guest experience, Norwegian Pearl underwent a renovation prior to her restart in December 2021, resulting in redesigned onboard accommodations.  As such, bathtubs in select staterooms, including The Haven Suites were removed. This change was not reflected in our system until recently. It has come to our attention that you are currently reserved in one of the affected staterooms or suites, however, please note this does not change your current stateroom location or number.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Pearl for your vacation at sea!

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Senior Vice President, Guest Services

Club balcony suites also.

I'm VERY disappointed.

It's not like there is *only* a "tub/shower" combination.

For those who don't want to use the tub, or have difficulty getting in and out, those 2BR suites have a very nice completely separate shower (much nicer than what a "tub shower" combo would be).

I loved soaking in that tub, reading, and having that remarkable view of the water...

It was obvious I wasn't home! 🙂

Are they reconfiguring the entire bathroom area?

GC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not just the Pearl. They removed the tubs in the haven spa suites on the Epic but they didn't tell anyone.

And I see that the Jewel is doing the same.

My partner likes soaking in the tub especially after a full day out and about. 

• Like 1

@GeezerCouple I just looked at the floorplans and it does seem like it would have been a lovely experience. I didn't realize it was right next to windows! This is the note on the page "Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change."  My quick google search didn't turn up any new floor plans.

8 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@GeezerCouple I just looked at the floorplans and it does seem like it would have been a lovely experience. I didn't realize it was right next to windows! This is the note on the page "Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change."  My quick google search didn't turn up any new floor plans.

At least we have our "faux x-rated fun photo" from a previous sailing in a Haven 2BR.

I am sitting in bubbles up to my shoulders, looking out the window, so my face is in silhouette (so it IS "me"!).

After our little photo session, it was back to reading, adding more hot water, and then another sip of champagne, as I watched the ocean and the skies, as we sailed along...

What a vacation!

We have another reservation in a Haven 2BR suite in the future, but that may be the last of it.

I wasn't crazy about the view from the *bed* initially.  Looking "through a bathroom, with the sinks along the side wall"... well... not quite my idea of a "suite with a view"!  But there was a view from the bed, at least.

To have that TUB... I forgave a lot! 🙂

Does anyone know what the new configuration is?

I saw something a couple of years ago that had me concerned, but that may have been only for their newer ships (??).  I just don't remember.

GC

19 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We have another reservation in a Haven 2BR suite in the future, but that may be the last of it.

I wasn't crazy about the view from the *bed* initially.  Looking "through a bathroom, with the sinks along the side wall"... well... not quite my idea of a "suite with a view"!  But there was a view from the bed, at least.

Interesting...lying in bed looking through the bathroom with sinks right along the wall. Sounds like the same thing people complain about on the Epic. Wonder why these cabins never got the same complaints? IIRC, aren't the toilet and showers in these rooms also just behind a glass door?

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Interesting...lying in bed looking through the bathroom with sinks right along the wall. Sounds like the same thing people complain about on the Epic. Wonder why these cabins never got the same complaints? IIRC, aren't the toilet and showers in these rooms also just behind a glass door?

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Epic bathroom "problems", but one difference might be that this is only in the bedroom.

There is a completely separate and large LR with sofa, DR table, etc.  So one isn't required to move between two halves of a bathroom (IF I understand the Epic problem correctly??) in full view of "everyone in the cabin".

This is the primary bedroom, which is "ensuite".

There are also 2 "PH" level suites at the end of the 2BR suites, and those are missing the second bedroom.  But those still have the *same* separate full LR/DR/etc., that have no view of any bathroom areas.

But yes, it was really odd when we first stepped inside.  Not my favorite suite.  But that wonderful tub-with-a-view...! 🙂

Anyway, this ship is going where we want to go, when we want to go, so... this is "it".

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'm VERY disappointed.

It's not like there is *only* a "tub/shower" combination.

For those who don't want to use the tub, or have difficulty getting in and out, those 2BR suites have a very nice completely separate shower (much nicer than what a "tub shower" combo would be).

I loved soaking in that tub, reading, and having that remarkable view of the water...

It was obvious I wasn't home! 🙂

Are they reconfiguring the entire bathroom area?

GC

From what we received it sounded like they are removing the tubs from the cabins that have tub/shower combinations.  There is no view from those tubs.  Was there information saying they were removing the tubs from suites where there is a separate shower in the bathroom as well ??

12 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

From what we received it sounded like they are removing the tubs from the cabins that have tub/shower combinations.  There is no view from those tubs.  Was there information saying they were removing the tubs from suites where there is a separate shower in the bathroom as well ??

Yes.  We have a 2BR suite with that "window view" tub, and a lovely/large separate shower.  We got that same letter from NCL a short time ago.... "Sorry... we've removed the tub from your bathroom."

(There is no tub in the smaller second BR/BA area.)

I've written back to complain (totally wasted effort, I know, but I wanted to register our reaction) and to ask what the new arrangement WILL be!

EDIT TO ADD from the NCL letter:

"...As such, bathtubs in select staterooms, including The Haven Suites were removed. This change was not reflected in our system until recently. It has come to our attention that you are currently reserved in one of the affected staterooms or suites, ..."

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

Yes.  We have a 2BR suite with that "window view" tub, and a lovely/large separate shower.  We got that same letter from NCL a short time ago.... "Sorry... we've removed the tub from your bathroom."

(There is no tub in the smaller second BR/BA area.)

I've written back to complain (totally wasted effort, I know, but I wanted to register our reaction) and to ask what the new arrangement WILL be!

EDIT TO ADD from the NCL letter:

"...As such, bathtubs in select staterooms, including The Haven Suites were removed. This change was not reflected in our system until recently. It has come to our attention that you are currently reserved in one of the affected staterooms or suites, ..."

GC

Which ship? 

1 minute ago, milolii said:

Which ship? 

Sorry... I thought this was about the Pearl:

"Bathtubes [sic] removed from Penthouse Suites on the Pearl-Just got a letter."

So yes, I'm referring to the Pearl.

However, I suspect this is or will be happening to other "2BR" suites (Haven or not), at least in the Jewel class ships, but I don't have direct information about the others.  The original post refers to the PH suites, so they are affected, too.

I think there are notes on NCL.com where floor plans are shown, at least in some cases.  They don't all seem to be up to date, and even where the bathtub is definitely being removed (per NCL letter or as stated on the ship's Deckplan), the Floorplan still shows.... that bathtub next to the window...

I have not been able to find even a hint about what the configuration will be like.  What are they doing with that "bathtub space"?  Are they "re-doing" the entire "bathroom area"?

GC

20 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Pictures from NCL DAWN Cabin 11530 - 2 BR Suite - similar to JEWEL Class ships -

JEWEL - PEARL - JADE - GEM

DSC07419.JPG

DSC07420.JPG

DSC07421.JPG

DSC07422.JPG

Yes, this is how the apparently "OLD" bathrooms were, prior to whatever changes are being made.

Any idea what they are doing with the "bathtub space"?  Or are they re-doing the entire bathroom.  It's hard to imagine that just the tub disappears.  But renovating those entire bathrooms is a major task, and $$$$$$.

I still wonder why.  Anyone who "doesn't like tubs" can just use that very nice shower...

Very curious...

GC

13 minutes ago, BSR said:

I hope they don't remove the bathtub in the 2 bedroom suites.  I enjoyed soaking in tub, looking out to the ocean while drinking champagne. 

Unfortunately, this is *precisely* what the letter from NCL a few hours ago announced... this particular "bathtub" in the 2BR Haven suite was being taken out, and would not be there when we arrived.

However, our cruise is far in the future, so it also isn't clear when these changes will show up, and just how the changes will be done.  But NCL are making it very clear... no more bathtubs there, at least "soon".

And others seem to be getting similar notifications for other types of suites.

GC

Well, I just think this change re removal of the bathtubs is pretty strange.    Coincidentally, only a few hours after receiving the email as shown in this thread, we received a call from our "new" NCL cruise planner, just touching base to see if he could answer any questions, etc. about our upcoming booking on the Pearl.  So, since the opportunity presented itself, I told him about this latest "renovation".  He had absolutely NO clue about the email or any idea or knowledge about the bathtubs being taken out and the reasons why.  I did ask him if he could look into it and let us know what he finds out. 

Bet I don't hear back....

• Haha 2

Yes, this is how the apparently "OLD" bathrooms were, prior to whatever changes are being made.

Any idea what they are doing with the "bathtub space"?  Or are they re-doing the entire bathroom.  It's hard to imagine that just the tub disappears.  But renovating those entire bathrooms is a major task, and $$$$$$.

I still wonder why.  Anyone who "doesn't like tubs" can just use that very nice shower...

Very curious...

GC

I wonder - humm ? humm  ? humm ?

Maybe NCL is putting in one of those walk-in-bath arrangements -

the one with 3 foot high door I see advertised on TV and in newsprint.

Fancy ones have the jacuzzie jetted water outlets

Only thing about these is they must be drained before stepping out opening that step-thru door.

And then there is that water conservation issue -

Since bath water is fresh water and not swimming pool salt water.

14 minutes ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Well, I just think this change re removal of the bathtubs is pretty strange.    Coincidentally, only a few hours after receiving the email as shown in this thread, we received a call from our "new" NCL cruise planner, just touching base to see if he could answer any questions, etc. about our upcoming booking on the Pearl.  So, since the opportunity presented itself, I told him about this latest "renovation".  He had absolutely NO clue about the email or any idea or knowledge about the bathtubs being taken out and the reasons why.  I did ask him if he could look into it and let us know what he finds out. 

Bet I don't hear back....

Sure just what the cruise planner needs to deal with.