Bathtubes removed from Penthouse Suites on the Pearl-Just got a letter.

JCMass.

Royalty used to fill their tubs with champagne or other spirits -

and then there were the milk baths - baths in oil AND MUD !

Come on NCL what are you replacing the square footage with

the absence of the tub - maybe some new fangled amusement

park ride ? Water Slide to Pool Deck hot tub ?

There are 10 suites on deck 11 of the JEWEL and DAWN class ships.

The JEWEL class has 10 in the Haven on deck 14

The Garden Villa and DOS OS have bath-tubs

Edited by don't-use-real-name

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:
3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I honestly had no idea that folks still used tubs….you live and learn..

Only on a cruise ship and then only when they know it is no more 

I can't tell if you both are joking/trolling, but in case you aren't - yes, lots of people use bathtubs every day, even on cruise ships. I know numerous cruisers (myself included) who have booked these cabins specifically because they have lovely bathtubs with a view, and yes, we do use them. On prior NCL cruises, I used that bathtub in the 2 Bedroom Suite every day! I'm incredibly disappointed to hear that they are removing these tubs. They're a unique feature compared to other cruise lines, particularly the ones with a view of the ocean. If these tubs were older or in disrepair, an easy option is to simply replace them with new ones - they could even have put in pedestal type tubs instead of jacuzzi tubs, if the jacuzzi feature was too much upkeep. Personally, I don't understand the thought process behind this change.

• Like 2

That is it "BATHTUBES" !

--- NCL is replacing the bathtubs with vertical Bathtubes  aka showers 

OK that was better than throwing blindfolded darts at a revolving pinata dart board !

Wished that NCL would update their cabin diagrams to show the floorplan in REAL time.

And encourage more videos of cabins - a clue - a hint of what to expect.

I just got the email today, and am very upset, I love a hot soak every night before dinner, so having to endure a shower for 11 nights for my cruise will be hell for me. NOT Happy.  We booked this cabin specifically for the Bathtub and as it will be my 60th Birthday onboard.  Am awaiting the response as I am not prepared to pay the upgrade cost for a cabin with a bathtub, and only have a shower, I will downgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

That is it "BATHTUBES" !

--- NCL is replacing the bathtubs with vertical Bathtubes  aka showers 

OK that was better than throwing blindfolded darts at a revolving pinata dart board !

Wished that NCL would update their cabin diagrams to show the floorplan in REAL time.

And encourage more videos of cabins - a clue - a hint of what to expect.

No... but you may be correct anyway!

It's not going to be just "Bathtubes aka showers".   I mean, after all, those 2BR suites *already* have a very nice separate shower in the main bathroom.  

Thus, it MUST be "BathTUBES" after all!  Brilliant, NCL!

The suite guests are going to have STAND UP BATHS!  It will be so much easier to get the water all the way up over one's shoulders.  Instead of lying horizontal in a "TUB", with one's neck crooked so the head stays above water, one stands in the nifty "TUBE"!  Body remains in a nice upright plane!  No bent neck!  Yes, BRILLIANT.

Oh, wait... relaxing and *reading*....

I'm sure that NCL will provide the affected suite guests with waterproof Kindles or such.

Problem solved.

But that will still leave some extra floor space where the TUB was before the TUBE replaced it.

Oh, wait.  What about those who can't easily "just stand there" for very long [raising my hand here!] ?  Or those who find sitting/lying in a TUB so very relaxing, taking weight off of one's feet at any time, but perhaps particularly after one of NCL's nice excursions? [Yes, raising my hand here again!]

"No bath for you!"  after all....

😱

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I'm not sure I can think of anything nastier to do than get in a bath tib in a hotel room or on a cruise ship.  Go only know who all did what ever in that place.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I bring along cleaning supplies and clean the tub VERY thoroughly before using it! There's even a way to clean a jacuzzi bathtub so that the jets are sanitized. I do this anywhere I'm staying that has a tub that I know I'll want to use. I'm sure that not everyone does this, but I like to know that it's super clean!  😉

I applaud them for removing tubs from shower/tub combinations.  I hate showering in a tub.  Nothing is more low rent than showering in a tub.  The higher end suites like owners/2 bedroom suites have separate tubs and showers.  The penthouse on NCL on many of their ships have these shower/tub combinations.  It ruins the shower experience and the tub is not great and ruins the tub experience.  If a tub is important to you, book a 2 bedroom suite.  In my own house I removed my tub and have only a shower in my bathroom and LOVE IT.   Nothing like showering on a level floor and more room to move around. Even on Epic showering in those giant garden tubs was odd. A huge step in and out and the curved walls limited your movement.

I applaud NCL for removing these shower/tub combos.   The suite will look and be more high end IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I applaud them for removing tubs from shower/tub combinations.  I hate showering in a tub.  Nothing is more low rent than showering in a tub.  The higher end suites like owners/2 bedroom suites have separate tubs and showers.  The penthouse on NCL on many of their ships have these shower/tub combinations.  It ruins the shower experience and the tub is not great and ruins the tub experience.  If a tub is important to you, book a 2 bedroom suite.  In my own house I removed my tub and have only a shower in my bathroom and LOVE IT.   Nothing like showering on a level floor and more room to move around. Even on Epic showering in those giant garden tubs was odd. A huge step in and out and the curved walls limited your movement.

I applaud NCL for removing these shower/tub combos.   The suite will look and be more high end IMHO.

They are removing the tub where there IS A SEPARATE SHOWER.

No need to "step into the tub", unless one wants to take a bath there.

The shower does indeed have a nice level floor, etc.

I absolutely "get it" about the combo.  But that's not what this is about (or not most of it?).

Some people also have trouble getting into a tub, and needing to do that just to shower, yeah, not good.  And those people may not want an "accessible" cabin, plus those can be difficult to find, anyway.

But WHY remove a nice soaking tub when immediately next to is is a nice separate shower?

Why are they going to the expense of doing that?  And what are they putting in that area?

???

GC

• Like 1

Having just done a courtyard penthouse on Breakaway I can definitely see the appeal to removing those tub shower combos as it wasn't  very usable as a tub and a nice walk in shower would probably be an upgrade.

Removing it from the rooms that have the tub near the window however as a separate entity from the stand alone shower that doesn't make much sense. Especially for anyone who paid a premium expecting that feature in their room (those rooms aren't cheap). This isn't a change that would seem acceptable for anyone already booked. 

Lose a port or something out of the control of NCL, yeah it happens. Book a spa cabin or 2 bedroom with a tub with a view and get there and the tub has been ripped out? That's a significant change. Good luck to anyone who is caught in this window where you've already booked and now the room is different, maybe you can get NCL to do a credit for you for the change but who knows.

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

They are removing the tub where there IS A SEPARATE SHOWER.

No need to "step into the tub", unless one wants to take a bath there.

The shower does indeed have a nice level floor, etc.

I absolutely "get it" about the combo.  But that's not what this is about (or not most of it?).

Some people also have trouble getting into a tub, and needing to do that just to shower, yeah, not good.  And those people may not want an "accessible" cabin, plus those can be difficult to find, anyway.

But WHY remove a nice soaking tub when immediately next to is is a nice separate shower?

Why are they going to the expense of doing that?  And what are they putting in that area?

???

GC

The OP is on the Pearl and the letter states "some Haven suites."  I am just assuming they did not rip out the bathtub in the owners suite or 2 bedroom suite. Perhaps the OP can specify which suite they are in.  The Epic tubs in the spa suites are over 10 years old that require lots of maintenance.  I bet it was a cost saving issue because they are jacuzzi style tubs.  One peeve many had about the Ownes hot tubs on Sky is that they were always broken.  Even the jacuzzi tub I had on Sky was broken.  

7 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The OP is on the Pearl and the letter states "some Haven suites."  I am just assuming they did not rip out the bathtub in the owners suite or 2 bedroom suite. Perhaps the OP can specify which suite they are in.  The Epic tubs in the spa suites are over 10 years old that require lots of maintenance.  I bet it was a cost saving issue because they are jacuzzi style tubs.  One peeve many had about the Ownes hot tubs on Sky is that they were always broken.  Even the jacuzzi tub I had on Sky was broken.  

The NCL letter explicitly states that there is no longer a bathtub in the 2BR Haven suites on the Pearl, for example.  That is the only suite that we currently have reserved with NCL.  And only the main bedroom had that nice tub by the window, plus a separate shower.

The smaller bedroom only has a shower to begin with, so NCL cannot be referring to that bathroom.

They are sorry for the late notice... as if this is something they planned and implemented at the last minute...

I'm still scratching my head about what they'll put in that space.

ETA:  I have separate email correspondence with NCL confirming this "change".

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

11 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The OP is on the Pearl and the letter states "some Haven suites."  I am just assuming they did not rip out the bathtub in the owners suite or 2 bedroom suite. 

It looks like they are, indeed, ripping out the bathtub by the window in those 2 bedroom suites (both Haven and non-Haven) and the ones in the Owner's suites on the Pearl. On NCL.com, it says this under all of the above mentioned suites:

"Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change."

The only Haven suite that doesn't say this, is the 3 Bedroom Garden Villa. It also says this for those same suites on the Jewel, just with a date of "after December 22, 2021".

It still makes no sense to me to remove the bathtub entirely, when there's also a stand alone shower. As I mentioned before, if the jacuzzi feature was too much maintenance, they could simply replace it with a deep soaking tub or pedestal tub. It also doesn't make much sense to make major and costly renovations during this season, where NCL is already struggling financially. 

ETA: I just saw GeezerCouple's response; if you find out anymore regarding what the space looks like, please do let us know. We're booked in the 2 Bedroom Suite on the Pearl next year, but will likely cancel if they completely reconfigure that bathroom. I'm really disappointed about this; we book that suite specifically for the "tub with a view."  😞 

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer
  • Like 1

To be fair, we won't be impacted that much by the removal of a tub from the Club Balcony Suite we'll have for our next NCL cruise, which isn't on the upper tier of staterooms like those of you who have suites booked.  But, if we paid the extra $$$ for one of the affected suites, I would definitely want to know how NCL is changing that space or even perhaps if there may be a price adjustment.   Can understand that losing that tub with a water view would be a giant disappointment.

Also wonder why at this time, NCL is doing this, especially if they're trying to recoup some of the lost revenue from the pause in cruising...doesn't make sense to be spending a lot on a change like this now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Arizona Packer Backer said:

It looks like they are, indeed, ripping out the bathtub by the window in those 2 bedroom suites (both Haven and non-Haven) and the ones in the Owner's suites on the Pearl. On NCL.com, it says this under all of the above mentioned suites:

"Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change."

The only Haven suite that doesn't say this, is the 3 Bedroom Garden Villa. It also says this for those same suites on the Jewel, just with a date of "after December 22, 2021".

It still makes no sense to me to remove the bathtub entirely, when there's also a stand alone shower. As I mentioned before, if the jacuzzi feature was too much maintenance, they could simply replace it with a deep soaking tub or pedestal tub. It also doesn't make much sense to make major and costly renovations during this season, where NCL is already struggling financially. 

ETA: I just saw GeezerCouple's response; if you find out anymore regarding what the space looks like, please do let us know. We're booked in the 2 Bedroom Suite on the Pearl next year, but will likely cancel if they completely reconfigure that bathroom. I'm really disappointed about this; we book that suite specifically for the "tub with a view."  😞 

Absolutely... when (if?) I get more information, I'll post it here.

Maybe we could post on the Roll Call for that first Pearl sailing, to find out what the actual passengers *see*.  I think I'll do that!

What really puzzles me is... how could they not have posted this information - and shared it with affected pax - waaaay back?  It's not like they have a few contractors come on board a bit before the ship is sailing and have them replace some mirrors or change some headboards.  This involves plumbing and bathroom flooring, and in more than one location on the ship.

I doubt they now still have designers still trying to decide, "Hey, what in the world should we put in the place of that tub, and how should we position it!?"

And it's odd that they are going to post the updated floor plans for the Jewel (I think that's the one) at a different time.  That ship maybe has yet a different set of designers still trying to decide how to re-arrange those bathrooms?? 😠

I'm trying to imagine an architect telling a customer, "Okay, we'll get your the final floor plans of your house a few days before you move in, don't worry!"  Heh.

But the biggest puzzle is why are they doing this now?

You'd think they would want to do everything possible to lure/encourage passengers to come back!

Did they do any market research on this, about the suites where there is a separate shower?

I'm guessing that maybe they only asked about whether tubs were still desired, and heard how some people have trouble getting in and out, etc.  Fair enough, and good for NCL/other hospitality providers for taking that into consideration.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with suites that already have separate tubs and showers.

What am I missing here!??

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

The NCL letter explicitly states that there is no longer a bathtub in the 2BR Haven suites on the Pearl, for example.  That is the only suite that we currently have reserved with NCL.  And only the main bedroom had that nice tub by the window, plus a separate shower.

The smaller bedroom only has a shower to begin with, so NCL cannot be referring to that bathroom.

They are sorry for the late notice... as if this is something they planned and implemented at the last minute...

I'm still scratching my head about what they'll put in that space.

ETA:  I have separate email correspondence with NCL confirming this "change".

GC

I thought I was going crazy.  I went back and read the letter 5 times.  The OP's letter does not state the suite but you are stating that YOUR letter states a tub was removed from the 2 bedroom suites.  The OP's letter says "some Haven suite tubs were removed"  It does not specify which ones.

IF a tub is removed from the bigger suites then its puzzling.  

However could it be that the NCL letter department sent out the letter to everyone staying in the Haven suites to blanket everyone in the Haven about this possible change to expect.  However some tubs may still be in some suites.  When you get back from your cruise let us know.

2 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I thought I was going crazy.  I went back and read the letter 5 times.  The OP's letter does not state the suite but you are stating that YOUR letter states a tub was removed from the 2 bedroom suites.  The OP's letter says "some Haven suite tubs were removed"  It does not specify which ones.

However could it be that the NCL letter department sent out the letter to everyone staying in the Haven suites to blanket everyone in the Haven about this possible change to expect.  However some tubs may still be in some suites.  When you get back from your cruise let us know.

We'll be happy to post when we return (IF we go!), but that's not until 2023 (alas).

However, to clear things up a bit (maybe!), here is a verbatim quote from the letter we received:

"...As part of our ongoing efforts to continuously elevate the guest experience, Norwegian Pearl underwent a renovation prior to her restart in December 2021, resulting in redesigned onboard accommodations.  As such, bathtubs in select staterooms, including The Haven Suites were removed. This change was not reflected in our system until recently. It has come to our attention that you are currently reserved in one of the affected staterooms or suites, however, please note this does not change your current stateroom location or number...."

[emphasis added]

As mentioned, we are currently booked in a Haven 2BR suite, and there is only one bathtub in that suite, right next to that nice, separate shower.

Oooops!  There *previously* was one bathtub in that suite.

I don't know how to be more clear than I already was that NCL *IS* indeed stating that those bathtubs with a view ARE being removed... yes, the tubs where there are very nice separate showers right next to them!

Amazing that it just "has come to [their] attention" that there are actual, real, live people already reserved in those suites. 😱

And some of them are actually, really, sailing... next week!!

(However, that does not include us, not for quite some time... if at all).

GC

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arizona Packer Backer said:

I can't tell if you both are joking/trolling, but in case you aren't - yes, lots of people use bathtubs every day, even on cruise ships. I know numerous cruisers (myself included) who have booked these cabins specifically because they have lovely bathtubs with a view, and yes, we do use them. On prior NCL cruises, I used that bathtub in the 2 Bedroom Suite every day! I'm incredibly disappointed to hear that they are removing these tubs. They're a unique feature compared to other cruise lines, particularly the ones with a view of the ocean. If these tubs were older or in disrepair, an easy option is to simply replace them with new ones - they could even have put in pedestal type tubs instead of jacuzzi tubs, if the jacuzzi feature was too much upkeep. Personally, I don't understand the thought process behind this change.

Not joking…no interest in sitting in a tub…I like to get clean… 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I’m with ya…

49 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

If you look at NCL's website and try to book a Haven suite, only the 3br villa and DOS with large balcony don't mention losing a bathtub.  Here's what it says for the others:

The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony

Your enclave awaits. Retreat with your family to a modern room with the finest touches throughout. Then enjoy the calming sounds of the sea from your private balcony. Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change.

The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite with Balcony

Leave the everyday behind and retreat to a private oasis of luxury. With fine appointments, incredible views and the services of a concierge and butler, you’ll experience the ultimate escape. These Suites can connect to a Penthouse. Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change.

The Haven Owner's Suite with Large Balcony

Pampering all the way. Glorious vistas are yours from your large, private balcony. And get used to being spoiled with 24/7 butler and concierge service. They also can connect to a Penthouse. Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change.

I look at the tub as a private hot tub with an unobstructed view.  Use the shower for regular bathing. A hard surface such as a as tub can be disinfected.  It’s much more difficult with soft surfaces such as a bed or pillows. 

This same information about the removal of bathtubs is also noted by many on another social media site.  So far I as I know the Pearl and the Jewel are affected.   The NCL website confirms this as @a1betprnoted.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, milolii said:

I look at the tub as a private hot tub with an unobstructed view.  Use the shower for regular bathing. A hard surface such as a as tub can be disinfected.  It’s much more difficult with soft surfaces such as a bed or pillows. 

This same information about the removal of bathtubs is also noted by many on another social media site.  So far I as I know the Pearl and the Jewel are affected.   The NCL website confirms this as @a1betprnoted.  

"I look at the tub as a private hot tub with an unobstructed view."

Exactly! 😁

GC