Anyone Back from Costa Maya...

Getting out of the cruise port can be a real pain.  They closed off the exits.  Best way is to head for the pool and then exit out without having to transverse through every kiosk and shop.

There is no tram running to Mahahual, but they do allow taxis into port now.  Having been to Costa Maya/Mahaual many times over the years, I was a bit disappointed.  Several places in Nuevo Mahahual(old Las Casitas) have closed.  The hotel there needs a new palapa over the entry way.  And all along the malecon places have closed (notably Pitaya and Ibiza Sunset) or beaches have been taken over by expanding clubs like Krazy Lobster. Also the clean store facades of the beach clubs are now littered with  porticos selling similar wares as in the cruise port and hawked by the strolling vendors.

Best bets these days is tours by Native Choice or try to book at Maya Chan or Hayhu(?) for quieter beach days and still good food and drink.  Or get one of the dive operations to take you snorkeling outside the beach area.   Sad because we've loved Mahahual since the old Cats Meow/Cha Chi days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Is the map they sent out recently accurate in terms of getting out of the shopping area?

Yes, to get out of the shopping area to get to Maya Chan's rendezvous site, stay towards the left towards the pool, and you can either exit through the official archway, or you can also go through the "Earth" skincare store or the Gelato shop next door.  After going through the backside of the store/archway, you turn right and go down the shop-lined walkway until you get to the parking area.  From the parking area go towards the little shack at the security gate, and walk down the center boulevard area until you pass by the second security gate.  The Maya Chan meetup is to the right less than 100' past the second security gate.  They have a sign on the center boulevard pointing to the right, and they'll be there with a clipboard to check you in and have you sign the waiver.

We were there on HOTS on Dec 2.  The tram was sitting on the pier near the ships but when we asked they said it was "broken", which I think was bull.  Anyway, even with my knee issue we walked the pier.  From our cabin it was 1/3 mile to the end of the pier.  Most everything was open.  We walked around.  I bought a magnet and we walked back to the ship.

Edited by BND

I haven’t been there in 12 years. Last time I was there we walked to the left about a 1/2 mile and had unlimited drinks and food all day with a woman who had like 10 kids and was a Mormon.

she also gave me the best massage I ever had. This place was legendary 10-12 years ago.

Does this ring a bell? Does anybody know her name or the name of the place?

Edited by Wakepatrol

1 hour ago, BND said:

We were there on HOTS on Dec 2.  The tram was sitting on the pier near the ships but when we asked they said it was "broken", which I think was bull.  Anyway, even with my knee issue we walked the pier.  From our cabin it was 1/3 mile to the end of the pier.  Most everything was open.  We walked around.  I bought a magnet and we walked back to the ship.

I was there three times in five weeks, and the pier tram was working at the beginning of my stretch, but not at the end.

Edited by brillohead

Was there Saturday and the trolley was just sitting at the end of the pier.

Did Native choice Mayan Experience tour with Joel as our guide. Very knowledgeable and then had a great Mayan lunch. Stay away from the pepper sauce. 🌶 

20211218_103619.thumb.jpg.e00f722c16265c4430eecc10b57f4a7f.jpg

20211218_125711.thumb.jpg.a75a4b4e5940163de02d0b0c8f8845a9.jpg

Also if you don't get a massage at the beach you can negotiate for one at the healing place in the port. 

On 12/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, HicksRA said:

We were there last Sunday. The trolley was not operating and we didn’t want to walk all the way to port so turned around and got back on the ship. Been there many times already got the T-shirt.  

Please try to remember that not everyone has had the opportunity to visit Caribbean ports numerous times.

M

43 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Ok, I’ll try to remember. 
Thanks Mom……..

We are frequent cruisers and like to sit in a common area on boarding day and watch the passengers come on board.  You can easily tell first timers just by the look on their face. Amazement.    We tend to take a few things for granted.

M