Elegant Dress?

leitmotif

I leave tomorrow and just found out there's some sort of dress up thing. I don't own anything other than jeans. What is the dress code and what night is it? I'm debating on if I go buy a pair of pants I'll never wear again, or just skip it.

• Like 1

There are "elegant" nights when people do dress up.

However, it is not a requirement.

If you don't mind people pointing a finger at you and whispering about how "underdressed you are, then go as you please! (j/k)

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It used to be far more strict than it is now. On "elegant" night you will see people dressed in tuxes and evening gowns and still see people in shorts.  Those in tuxes/gowns will certain shoot looks at you but they would also be shooting looks at a lot of other people.  Some people loves to get dressed up and some people do not care.  I am of the "do not care" camp and I do not care what others wear as long as they are happy and nothing bothering me.  I used to take a coat and tie, then it was just a coat and now I do not even take a coat although I do wear a nice dress shirt and slacks.  Relax and enjoy yourself!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

If a dress code is in place (which it is), generally I wish that people would not behave like the rules do not apply to them.  But that is up to Carnival to enforce, not me.  Practically speaking, I never judged others dressed casually, nor was a meal ruined because someone at our table (or anywhere in the dining room) wore jean shorts and flip flops.  The OP would be more than welcome at our table in the attire of their choice. 

My wife, though, is a little more judgey.   What's wrong with a thong and tube top in the buffet line (when I can find my size)?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, leitmotif said:

Nice to see some judgment from strangers when I'm merely looking for advice. Can't wait to go on a cruise with you! Really, folks? 

So, yes, technically I own a suit but that euro fit 31 waist just ain't happening anymore. I suppose I'll see if I have time to procure a pair of dockers or something. NO!

For your critics; in the words of Sgt. Hulka, "lighten up Francis."

Wear your jeans. I just completed cruise number thirty-seven dating back since the Mardi Gras in 1976. The "old days" as some speak of haven't been around for two decades. I haven't seen two tuxes in the main dining room in a long time. Last month the maître d' said "don't sweat the dress policy. Just don't wear shorts."  Dress in feathers if you want, just sit down with my wife and I and let's talk about our day.

For those that judge someone by their attire or any other attribute I would guess that the pregnant gal in the manger a few hundred years ago would have been banished to the buffet...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I see men’s dress clothes as an antiquated method for taking away one’s individuality. A standard designed in the old days of the corporate world. Sure, nowadays there are more colors and styles which allow for moderate expression but I have never been a fan. The times have changed and for all you know I could be a millionaire or I could run a charitable organization that saves lives but some Karen on a cruise would judge me because I show up to dinner in denim. 

I guess I’m still a bit irked by the above posters who assumed I was either a younger person with negative connotations  or that I had kids/work events/date nights and confirmed to the life they built for themself. I just don’t deal with this sort of thinking. Ever. I have a great job and nice place to live and a great life so how dare you. You know who owns a suit? Criminals going to court. I’m taking the first vacation I’ve been on in almost a decade and you’re pissing in my kool aid because I asked about dress code.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

If a dress code is in place (which it is), generally I wish that people would not behave like the rules do not apply to them.  But that is up to Carnival to enforce, not me.  Practically speaking, I never judged others dressed casually, nor was a meal ruined because someone at our table (or anywhere in the dining room) wore jean shorts and flip flops.  The OP would be more than welcome at our table in the attire of their choice. 

My wife, though, is a little more judgey.   What's wrong with a thong and tube top in the buffet line (when I can find my size)?

There is NO " dress code " in place on Carnival. Suggest you read the language about elegant nights on their website or app for the correct information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

For those that judge someone by their attire or any other attribute I would guess that the pregnant gal in the manger a few hundred years ago would have been banished to the buffet....

and on a day without bacon no less! 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leitmotif said:

I see men’s dress clothes as an antiquated method for taking away one’s individuality. A standard designed in the old days of the corporate world. Sure, nowadays there are more colors and styles which allow for moderate expression but I have never been a fan. The times have changed and for all you know I could be a millionaire or I could run a charitable organization that saves lives but some Karen on a cruise would judge me because I show up to dinner in denim. 

I guess I’m still a bit irked by the above posters who assumed I was either a younger person with negative connotations  or that I had kids/work events/date nights and confirmed to the life they built for themself. I just don’t deal with this sort of thinking. Ever. I have a great job and nice place to live and a great life so how dare you. You know who owns a suit? Criminals going to court. I’m taking the first vacation I’ve been on in almost a decade and you’re pissing in my kool aid because I asked about dress code.

1 hour ago, leitmotif said:

I get what your saying. I think it’s more if there’s a rule people should follow it or dine elsewhere. I get that it’s not common but still. To me a rule is a rule. I don’t think you need a suit even black jeans would be fine. I think people weren’t making a life for you. It’s just pretty common to need at least a pair of khakis or something nice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, leitmotif said:

I leave tomorrow and just found out there's some sort of dress up thing. I don't own anything other than jeans. What is the dress code and what night is it? I'm debating on if I go buy a pair of pants I'll never wear again, or just skip it.

Don't say what port you're leaving from, but if it's Galveston you're OK. In Texas jeans are formal wear if they're clean and you haven't got them ripped too often by the barbed wire. Collared shirt, some shoes, you're good to go. Formal wear has died a natural death. RIP.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, leitmotif said:

You know who owns a suit? Criminals going to court. 

23 hours ago, leitmotif said:

You know who owns a suit? Criminals going to court. 

This made made laugh!  So true.  Usually an ill fitting suit.  Please don't wear the Borat green thing into the dining room, otherwise enjoy thyself on your cruise....

On 12/17/2021 at 10:44 AM, leitmotif said:

As others have said you can get away with fairly casual on "Formal" night. As far as skipping it though- I mean there's no real reason to go versus any other night in the MDR imo in this day and age. It's not really different from any other night. In addition if you're worried about clothing and want to do a specialty restaurant then just do it on Formal night instead. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, sanmarcosman said:

There is NO " dress code " in place on Carnival. Suggest you read the language about elegant nights on their website or app for the correct information.

Thank you so much for setting me straight (Post #8). 

Hmm, wonder what that section on Carnival's web site entitled "Dress Code" is all about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1