Splendor Christmas and New Years Cruise

mrlevin

Onboard today; easy embarkation.  Initial impressions are that some of the serious flaws with Explorer have been addressed whilst others remain.  Lots of new crew; only welcome back were from Boogie and Kasia (so far); a few kids onboard; and I still miss Horizon Lounge.  BTW, there are now inside cabins on Regent; 883 is across the hall from us.  

More later,

Marc

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Onboard today; easy embarkation.  Initial impressions are that some of the serious flaws with Explorer have been addressed whilst others remain.  Lots of new crew; only welcome back were from Boogie and Kasia (so far); a few kids onboard; and I still miss Horizon Lounge.  BTW, there are now inside cabins on Regent; 883 is across the hall from us.  

More later,

Marc

Have a wonderful cruise.  Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to all of you on the wonderful Splendor.  Say a prayer for those of us planning to board the Mariner on January 5th.  We are in the realm of hope now.

We are supposed to sail in January on an itinerary very similar to yours. We signed up months ago for lots of great excursions. From Cozumel, it’s the Mayan ruins in Tulum. 

I know things can change a lot from now till then, but I’m encouraged that things are going forward as planned for your cruise. 

Looking forward to the pool bar too!

1 hour ago, Frncie said:

We are supposed to sail in January on an itinerary very similar to yours. We signed up months ago for lots of great excursions. From Cozumel, it’s the Mayan ruins in Tulum. 

I know things can change a lot from now till then, but I’m encouraged that things are going forward as planned for your cruise. 

Looking forward to the pool bar too!

Hope you get to do that tour. It is really a long day, but very interesting if you have never been. We did it with our grandchildren with RCL several years ago and was fun. It should be great with Regent. As their tours are usually nicer than the mainstream lines

Merry Christmas to all of you onboard the Splendor and to all of you posting. We can't wait till January 6th when we board the Splendor for our back to back cruise. The first in 2 yrs. Looking forward to traveling again, especially with Regent Seven Seas. 

Regent never ceases to amaze me.  Today at pool grill I commented that neither pizza choice today included anchovies.  The young lady immediately offered to have a pizza baked just for me with anchovies and capers; fantastic service and fantastic pizza. 

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 10

155 of us are continuing to next segment.  We found out yesterday that we will be tested tomorrow morning.  It is understood that if we test positive (including on retest) we will be put ashore in Miami instead of being put in isolation onboard (as would have happened if we test positive during the cruise).  No explanation of this additional testing has been given.  I don't think it can be a Puerto Rican requirement as we aren't scheduled to arrive in San Juan until 30th; three days after the test.  

Instead of enjoying a wonderful sea day, I am tied in knots looking forward to test results tomorrow.  If we get kicked off tomorrow I am seriously considering canceling 2022 Grand Arctic and 2023 World Cruise due to this breach of trust.  (Of course, I really don't know how I would react and I hope I never will find out.)

Marc

PS This extra testing has never been indicated under Health voyage requirements (at least that I have seen).

• Like 1

Per the CSO, the CDC recommends testing for B2B cruises. It seems to be fairly standard procedure for cruise lines. We had to have a test on a B2B on Crystal this summer (before all the recent variants).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Per the CSO, the CDC recommends testing for B2B cruises. It seems to be fairly standard procedure for cruise lines. We had to have a test on a B2B on Crystal this summer (before all the recent variants).

Which is why I didn't sail on the Crystal Bahamas cruises or Viking with daily testing.

Been spending as much of our shipboard credit as we can today just in case.  We have not been off the ship since we boarded.  We "should" be ok.

33 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Here’s a question unrelated to Covid and testing…

My wife enjoys berries with her breakfast in the morning. What is available at the breakfast buffet or elsewhere for fresh berries? Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.  

Thanks in advance! 

On our Splendor cruise earlier this month, all berries mentioned were always available.

Entertainers still in quarantine; here that some will be let out later today so there will be live music tonight.  Unsubstantiated report (i.e., have only one source) that John Barron is one to test positive.  Word from reception is that no one is sick.  Been interesting debarkation and embarkation today with announcements from Franck and Chief Purser and no entertainment crew helping out.

Marc

PS All in transit passengers tested negative.