Booking shore excursions to get Platinum discount

Kruzin Karen

I want to book some shore excursions for our January Hawaiian cruise, but I'm confused. Do we get $50 off per cabin for each port or each excursion? Since there are two overnights on this cruise we might do two excursions per port. Also, how do you get the 10% Platinum discount when booking beforehand? Do I have to wait until I get on the ship to book to get the discount? TYIA!

13 minutes ago, Kruzin Karen said:

I want to book some shore excursions for our January Hawaiian cruise, but I'm confused. Do we get $50 off per cabin for each port or each excursion? Since there are two overnights on this cruise we might do two excursions per port. Also, how do you get the 10% Platinum discount when booking beforehand? Do I have to wait until I get on the ship to book to get the discount? TYIA!

From NCL.com Promotional Terms & Conditions:

$50 USD Shore Excursion Credit
Offer is applicable to first guest on the cruise reservation.
The first guest shall receive free shore excursions priced at $50 or less (“the promotion”)
In the alternative, first guest will receive $50 in Shore Excursion Credits to apply against shore excursions priced greater than $50.
$50 Shore Excursion Credit is applicable to all tours, including debarkation tours.
In the event the tour is less than the value of the credit the $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be adjusted to match the tour value.
The first guest may redeem the promotion of $50 Shore Excursion Credit on more than one shore excursion per port.
Latitude Members Discount is combinable with the $50 Shore Excursion Credit.
In the case of multiple excursion credits or discounts, the $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be applied first followed by any additional shore excursion discounts.
In the event a port of call or shore excursion is canceled, the guest will be refunded the amount that the guest paid for the excursion.
For shore excursions purchased prior to cruise, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits will be applied to the first guest at time of purchase.
For shore excursions purchased onboard, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be applied to the first guest’s onboard account.
Please see additional restrictions below:

• If the first guest purchases shore excursions tickets for other guests, the promotion and $50 Shore Excursion Credit will not apply to such tickets.
  • The first guest cannot purchase shore excursions for themselves where the duration of such excursions overlap in time.
  • For port calls in Great Stirrup Cay and Harvest Caye, the promotion and $50 Shore Excursion Credit does not apply to equipment rentals.
  • Pre-cruise and post-cruise land tours are not eligible for this promotion.
  • $50 Shore Excursion Credit has no monetary value, are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for actual currency of any value.
  • Other guest in the stateroom are not eligible to receive the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits.

Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by booking online via NCL.com, by calling 1-866-625-1167, or onboard.

• Thanks 1

If you have never cruised on NCL before, I suggest you review the excursions available for your cruise and then call the Shore Excursion Desk at number above.  They should be able to clarify any information that the above post doesn't answer for you.

This answers one of your questions:

"The first guest may redeem the promotion of $50 Shore Excursion Credit on more than one shore excursion per port."

• Thanks 1

I call the Shore Excursion desk and book my tours in advance especially if I think it could sell out.  They apply the $50 discount on the first passenger listed on the reservation and should then apply your 10% Plat discount.  I always remind them I have the extra discount.    In addition if you book two tours for one port, the $50 is applied to each excursion as well as the Plat discount.  The disadvantage is you have to pay when booking while in the past you did not pay until you took the excursion.  And you have until 48 hours prior to embarkation to call to cancel before the cruise plus once onboard you can cancel for full refund 48 hours prior to scheduled tour.  Refund is back to your payment method and not to onboard account if cancelled prior to embarkation.  Not sure how refund is handled if cancelled once onboard.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kruzin Karen said:

Hi Karen, I do not know if NCL would offer two $50.00 shore excursion credits if you are in the same port, but I am just off the 12/12 Encore cruise and this was how we were billed for excursions. My wife and I are both Platinum status and as such we received 10% off the cost of every excursion we booked.  A beach excursion in Puerta Plata was $89.00 per person. As I was the “Primary’ guest, I received the $50.00 shore ex discount, (the shore ex discount is per cabin, not per each guest in the cabin) reducing the cost to $39.00 dollars. NCL then gave me the Platinum discount of 10% of the balance ($3.90) which made my final cost $35.10. My wife’s cost was $89.00 minus the 10% platinum discount ($8.90} so her cost was $80.10. 

I am curious to find out on overnight stays in the same port if you would get two shore ex credits. 

Enjoy your cruise

Regards, 

Vinegarjoe 

• Thanks 1

I very rarely take shore excursions, so I don’t have much experience of this, but if I go to my online account (or use the NCL app) then when selecting an excursion the prices include the free at sea discount. If I add anything to the basket then the prices are also adjusted for latitudes discounts.

So, unless this is UK specific, you can do it all online. A test should also answer the question about multiple excursions in one port.

• Thanks 1

As stated in the t&c posted above, the discount is for any and all excursions booked by the primary on the cabin reservation.  If you book online or call prior to your cruise, the $50 credit is applied and any latitudes discount is automatically applied at checkout.  If you book onboard, you have to tell them you have a latitudes discount and they will apply it when you book; the $50 credit will be applied to your account after the excursion.

If your excursion is cancelled while you are onboard, it will be credited to your account.  For whatever reason, your onboard account will show the credit for your actual payment, then a $50 charge with another -$50 to reverse the charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mertziek said:

I call the Shore Excursion desk and book my tours in advance especially if I think it could sell out.  They apply the $50 discount on the first passenger listed on the reservation and should then apply your 10% Plat discount.  I always remind them I have the extra discount.    In addition if you book two tours for one port, the $50 is applied to each excursion as well as the Plat discount.  The disadvantage is you have to pay when booking while in the past you did not pay until you took the excursion.  And you have until 48 hours prior to embarkation to call to cancel before the cruise plus once onboard you can cancel for full refund 48 hours prior to scheduled tour.  Refund is back to your payment method and not to onboard account if cancelled prior to embarkation.  Not sure how refund is handled if cancelled once onboard.

We were on the Bliss in Oct. and also booked and paid for our excursions through the Shore Excursions Desk beforehand.  Doing that means you can't use your OBC for excursions, of course.  Once onboard, we had the concierge change the excursions so we could use our OBC to cover them.  She called the Shore Excursion Desk to do so, so I'm sure standing in line there will get the same result.  I believe they cancel and rebook and the costs for each excursion were the same.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

As stated in the t&c posted above, the discount is for any and all excursions booked by the primary on the cabin reservation.  If you book online or call prior to your cruise, the $50 credit is applied and any latitudes discount is automatically applied at checkout.  If you book onboard, you have to tell them you have a latitudes discount and they will apply it when you book; the $50 credit will be applied to your account after the excursion.

If your excursion is cancelled while you are onboard, it will be credited to your account.  For whatever reason, your onboard account will show the credit for your actual payment, then a $50 charge with another -$50 to reverse the charge.

Correction to the accounting info - slightly different than what I originally thought.  If your excursion is cancelled, you will see a credit that is the total off what you paid plus the $50 rebate.  Then there will be a $50 charge to your on board account. Very confusing, as I had a couple of cancellations and booked replacements so lots of movement of money on my account!

3 hours ago, Kruzin Karen said:

I now know they give the primary the $50.00 plus 10% discount on every excursion booked, same port or not.

They definitely do allow you to book as many as you'd like . I did 3 excursions in one day in st. Thomas. I booked all excursions on line , I advance, 50 credit and platinum discount was applied automatically. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Soooo, I'm the primary guest (guest #1). If my son and husband wanted to go jet skiing or do zip lines, I assume the $50 credit will NOT apply to them, correct? Right now, when I log in for these excursions, it shows it applying the $50 to me and $0 for the rest of them.

54 minutes ago, vinotinto said:

Soooo, I'm the primary guest (guest #1). If my son and husband wanted to go jet skiing or do zip lines, I assume the $50 credit will NOT apply to them, correct? Right now, when I log in for these excursions, it shows it applying the $50 to me and $0 for the rest of them.

If you're not able to make it work now online, I'm sure the excursion desk can help after you board.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vinotinto said:

according to the shore excursion terms and conditions located at https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions  it says this:

Offer is applicable to first guest on the cruise reservation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1