One person tests positive, but…..

Lbicklel

There are three of us traveling in the same cabin. None of the three of us live together and we will be meeting up at the airport (so none of us would be exposed to either of the others prior to going to the airport). We sail on a Sunday so will fly out on Saturday and get Covid test done on Friday.  Of course if anyone tests positive that person won’t even get on the plane.   In that situation would the other two of us also be denied boarding since none of us had been together? Would it be better for that third person to just be a no-show?  Obviously we would like that person to be able to get a refund if the worst happens, but we’d rather eat her fare than the others to not be able to sail.

I get the concept of no one in the state room being allowed to sail if anyone is positive but I feel like that assumes the people would have been together in the daily life so therefore are a definite risk.  Two of us plan to completely hibernate in the two weeks leading up to the cruise but the third person won’t be able to so I’m worried about her.

• Like 1

This sounds a bit tricky.  One view would be that since you are not in close contact prior, then the 2 can go, but that is just ‘what could be’. If you are worried enough about this prior to the cruise test, then call your TA or who you booked with.  

But my suggestion is what my wife and i did. We taught a class of about 15 people that ended a month prior to our cruise. We did a COVID regular free CVS/pharmacy drive up test getting results back a few days later to insure we were OK. I didn’t want to wait to find out 2 days prior to the cruise. So I suggest your friend, or even all 3 of you, get tested well prior. That cuts down the chances of testing 2 day prior - doesn’t insure you are OK, but greatly reduces the chance of a positive test just prior. 

Den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tricky is a good choice:

Highly recommend you read very carefully the Celebrity Web that touches on this issue:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

Especially: 

• If you report, or we identify, that you may have been exposed to or are likely to have been infected by COVID-19, we may require that you and others in your Traveling Party do not travel to the port. This is in order to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. Anyone effectively denied boarding in these circumstances will be entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to Celebrity.

Because you will most likely be identified as Traveling Companions - it may be an uphill path to being allowed to embark. Proof of different living arrangements/travel paths may help. I would not try to deceive them, no good will come of that, as the first question to be asked will be what else are you hiding...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Tricky is a good choice:

Highly recommend you read very carefully the Celebrity Web that touches on this issue:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

Especially: 

• If you report, or we identify, that you may have been exposed to or are likely to have been infected by COVID-19, we may require that you and others in your Traveling Party do not travel to the port. This is in order to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. Anyone effectively denied boarding in these circumstances will be entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to Celebrity.

Because you will most likely be identified as Traveling Companions - it may be an uphill path to being allowed to embark. Proof of different living arrangements/travel paths may help. I would not try to deceive them, no good will come of that, as the first question to be asked will be what else are you hiding...

Totally agree here.  Under the circumstances provided by the OP, I would def not chance this, even with the option of a refund, there are way to many other variables that come into play.  Good luck!

If someone tests positive, it seems like the problem would be to discuss the situation with someone knowledgeable at Celebrity within the 24 to 48 hour period before the cruise departs.  Our cruise departs on January 3, so that means testing on New Years' Day (Sat) or Jan. 2nd (Sun).  If one of the six of us tests positive (3 different households), what is the likelihood that I could get straight answers from Celebrity before the day of the cruise?  Stressful times.

20 hours ago, DCPIV said:

If you are willing to eat the fare, then I'd go with the "no show" option unless you can get reliable word from Celebrity that only the one who tested positive would be denied boarding.

Yes, I have thought about that as an option. Oh well, I only have 7 more days to obsess!