Crew Members ….

Markmom18

Thank you for sharing this.  I spoke to many crew members on an rccl cruise last week and shared pretty much those exact sentiments  that the crew had shared with me.  While many understood, too many didn't seem to care.  The misinformation and politics aside, the "I don't have to follow rules I don't like" or that the rules simply don't apply to them has become far too normal and accepted.  Until the cruise lines start to enforce these rules with consequences, I'm afraid we will all have to suffer the consequences of their childish behavior. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Anyone that ignores a crew member or acts defiantly should be put off at the next port.

What makes you think that the next port will want or accept them? Other countries also have the right to keep their population safe!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, AQW said:

My son Dexter decided at the age of 12 that he wanted to be a FUN Squad Member... he'll be 20 soon and he's still 100% committed to working for Carnival! He's pursuing a degree in Communications with a concentration in Entertainment and Tourism and always looking to build skills that will make him a more attractive candidate -- hosting/emcee/mic skills, working with diverse groups of people, etc. Please message me if your son might be willing to share some info about his experience... I'd love to connect them via email or something. 

Enjoy your son being home!

Our son didn’t have a degree. He was a Theatre Major at a junior college, but did not finish.  He was always active in school productions from Kindergarten to J.C.  He applied for a FunSquad position in late 2016. Went through a few interviews via online. 

Then THAT happy day came … we were both shopping at Ralph’s Supermarket and got the call saying he was hired!   They arranged his flight / a night in a local hotel to Jacksonville, FL.  

Carnival provides the training. And then it sounds like you are teamed up and off you go. It’s a pretty active job, all those FUN dances to learn. 😄🤣.  It’s a long day … early morning that goes till night … depending on what is your job assignments that day. Seems like naps are a must. Again, no days off. This last Fun Squad Contract was for 7 months. They used to be 6 months. Each Dept on board has their own length of Contract. 

He was put on as Comedy Club Manager when the person doing the job left. Learned by doing, he said the guest Comedians were fantastic in helping him too!  

BINGO, Karaoke machine, Hosting HASBRO Games, you name the activity ….  Your other Team Members and the Cruise Director are your on the job teachers. 

Would Dexter be interested in applying now?  Short staffed is what I’m hearing in all the departments. Might be the opportunity is right in front of him … 

Best of everything to you & your son!

🛳🛳

Bobbi & Mark

21 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Thank you for sharing this.  I spoke to many crew members on an rccl cruise last week and shared pretty much those exact sentiments  that the crew had shared with me.  While many understood, too many didn't seem to care.  The misinformation and politics aside, the "I don't have to follow rules I don't like" or that the rules simply don't apply to them has become far too normal and accepted.  Until the cruise lines start to enforce these rules with consequences, I'm afraid we will all have to suffer the consequences of their childish behavior. 

Our son told us exactly what some folks told him. RUDE and Obscenity filled sentences … oh, trying to be polite here on the Forum.  No, not just a couple times.  

Being the Mask Police and being verbally attacked was not what brought him to want to become a member of the Fun Squad.

It seems to be everywhere in our daily life. I’ve witnessed really bad behavior, aggressive behavior in public places.

I know I’m not alone. I CHOOSE to continue to be  kind. 🌌💙📘 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wennfred said:

Great post Markmom18, I just got off the Panorama this Friday 24 Dec and have sailed on Panorama on 18 Sept & 13 Nov, my roll calls all reflect those trips with daily posts and pictures. 

The passenger numbers on my 3 Panorama cruises were

18 Sept 2300 pax

13 Nov 2954 pax

18 Dec 4000 pax

Carnival Panorama maintained outstanding Covid procedure’s at all times, Everyone seemed to comply with the mask rules and I didn’t see anyone sick nor did I get sick on any of those 3 cruises.

i commend the Panorama staff for always reminding everyone whether at shows or indoors to always keep your mask on. They explained this all the times in their shows as to why it was needed to continue to cruise and have fun.

I always felt safe while onboard Panorama and this time around due to this new Omiron I wore a N95 mask and my black cloth mask over it. I don’t have any issues with masks, I’m so used to it already. Carnival don’t mess around, they keep this Covid issue a serious matter.

Fred

Thanks Fred,

My husband and I were on the Panorama in September too.  Passenger numbers were what you wrote. I loved the low numbers. Not once did we witness any cruiser being a nasty person re: masks. And the Crew was as always just wonderful!  Even more friendly because there were so few of us cruisers. 

I went on the Miracle by myself for the Halloween B2B … basically could write the same things about my experiences with Crew & Guests & low passenger rates (on a smaller ship no less ).

We go back on the Panorama at the end of March. Of course, we booked so we could cruise with our son. 😕  But, after talking we decided we’ll still go ahead with the cruise. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Guest BasicSailor
22 hours ago, icft said:

It would be interesting to know how much Carnival spends each year on those little round circles they use for eyes on these things... What do they call those things anyhow? iPads?

😃 To my understanding the crew pays for those out of pocket. I remember the days the crew would tear off the blue parts of the fun times for the towel animals eyes.

Edited by BasicSailor

On 12/26/2021 at 4:28 PM, groundloop said:

That's different than what I witnessed (we sailed on Magic in September, Pride for Thanksgiving, and Pride again a week ago to the Panama Canal).  The only place crew members were reminding guests to mask up was entering the buffet.  At the shows and comedy club announcements were made that masks were required but quite a number of people simply ignored the request and nothing was ever said to them.  Hopefully Carnival is taking this more seriously now.

Quite honestly, It's simply not worth the trouble many times. People underestimate what it would take, not to mention look like, of having aggressive enforcement like many demand. Ideas are easy, practical implementation, operational costs, liability exposure, etc have to be factored in. I don't think you'll see packs of bouncers roaming the ships keeping mask compliance, in between tossing undesirables off between ports anytime soon lol. Just don't see it. 

The reality is that the lowly employee has nearly no power and the passengers know it. Besides heckling passengers that aren't masked, there isn't much they can do. Most people will comply. You can remind folks but keep it moving. Berating folks and having shouting matches and physical altercations isn't a good look. Then you're left to ask if the solution isn't worse than the problem? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MomtherOfDragons said:

I hate the masking rules (they make no sense) but I won’t argue with an employee about it. It’s not their fault the rules are stupid. I’m sorry your son (and the crews) have had such a difficult time. They definitely dont deserve it. 

Well said! Concur 100%. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Quite honestly, It's simply not worth the trouble many times. People underestimate what it would take, not to mention look like, of having aggressive enforcement like many demand. Ideas are easy, practical implementation, operational costs, liability exposure, etc have to be factored in. I don't think you'll see packs of bouncers roaming the ships keeping mask compliance, in between tossing undesirables off between ports anytime soon lol. Just don't see it. 

The reality is that the lowly employee has nearly no power and the passengers know it. Besides heckling passengers that aren't masked, there isn't much they can do. Most people will comply. You can remind folks but keep it moving. Berating folks and having shouting matches and physical altercations isn't a good look. Then you're left to ask if the solution isn't worse than the problem? 

This is why I believe you will hear about some families or groups being quarantined or even disembarked for mask rule violations.  They have to show they are serious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

No, because that behavior will no longer be acceptable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

This is why I believe you will hear about some families or groups being quarantined or even disembarked for mask rule violations.  They have to show they are serious.

Even thinking you could pull something off like this is nuts. They (Carnival) throw off the "wrong" type of passenger and end up labeled some kind of "ist" and drive the cancelers, haters and blood suckers out more. There are logistics and international laws and relations. Dumping off problems isn't a strong selling point when pitching port stops. It's simply a terrible idea. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, LHARTWICK said:

Just off the Glory this morning.  Quite honestly, I was surprised to see how well people were adhering to the masking protocols. Yes - there are always a few “bad apples” in any setting, not just cruising, but most people were compliant.  And those that weren’t were reminded by crew members to mask up. 

Agree, on our Legend cruise mask wearing was pretty compliant, close to 💯 and when reminded people quickly responded as asked. Our CD did tell us during the Life Onboard Q and A that crew generally like the Baltimore passengers as they are an easy group to work with and on the surface we just looked like any typical Carnival group, I never saw any bad behavior among any age or demographic on the ship.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

Our son who was working on the Panorama for the last few months (his first Contract after the Covid Pause) has come home.  Thankfully, he didn’t get sick with any virus. He’s been with Carnival as a Fun Squad Member for a number of years.  Loved the job!  
  After the initial happiness by both himself and most cruisers … both groups being able to be on ships again … shifted.  

The comments here on CC about wearing masks , not wearing masks, saying “I’ll always have a drink in my hand”  (to avoid the mask rules), is absolutely ‘noticed’ by the Crew.

How about the Crew doing their job and reminding guests everyday (hour) to pull the mask up over their nose or just please wear one in this room?   Responses our son heard from guests are unprintable here!  He’s on the FUN Squad, doing the tasks that his employment required. 

What has happened to us? Rudeness,entitlement,  the … I don’t have to follow the rules attitude — backed up by personal political opinions! I have to say I’m not shocked.  

Our son had a great adventure while it lasted, pre-Covid. One he can tell about to a future family of his own one year.  

I hope WE (including me aka a “cruiser” too) will remember to treat any person with respect & KINDness. 

Our words spoken to that Crew Member  - X thousands of people -  are heard.  It makes a difference, so be nice, ok? 

To the great people our son HAS met, he tells us about you too!  There are regular cruisers and the Crew remember & love ya!!  Truly.

🛳🛳

Bobbi  

Hello Bobbi,

Thanks for your post.I will be on the February 26th sailing on the Panorama and would love to meet your Son if he rejoins the Panorama by then. Your post about the masking is spot on as we. need to protect everyone. I got my Booster and am ready to get another one if needed. I fully wear my mask and agree with and follow all policies set forth by the Cruiselines.

I work in Tourism Research and Development so I represent the profession and I could  get into serious trouble if I don't follow the rules . In fact I set the good example.

Wishing you all the best. Please tell your Son to take good care of himself.

Happy New Year!

On 12/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, Markmom18 said:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Even thinking you could pull something off like this is nuts. They (Carnival) throw off the "wrong" type of passenger and end up labeled some kind of "ist" and drive the cancelers, haters and blood suckers out more. There are logistics and international laws and relations. Dumping off problems isn't a strong selling point when pitching port stops. It's simply a terrible idea. 

It has nothing to do with any of that.  If you do not follow the rules onboard, any of them, you are subject to being disembarked.  They are not labeling anybody, although they will probably try to label themselves.  On a ship, if you do not do what the Captain orders, bye bye.  It's also in the cruise contract, 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

It has nothing to do with any of that.  If you do not follow the rules onboard, any of them, you are subject to being disembarked.  They are not labeling anybody, although they will probably try to label themselves.  On a ship, if you do not do what the Captain orders, bye bye.  It's also in the cruise contract, 

Sounds great in theory and so simple, right? Just start tossing individuals and large groups off? In reality, it's anything but. There is no way to accomplish compelling human behavior without force and/or violence. There is a reason you gear up to deal with folks when you expect to go hands on. It's can get real ugly, real quickly and get out of control with inexperienced people given a bit of power and tunnel vision. Controlling combative, drunk, and angry folks looking for trouble isn't easy. I've seen the results go terribly when not done correctly and end up with a bigger problem. Sometimes you settle for controlling the controllable, preventing large scale conflicts/escalation, and leave well enough alone.      

5 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I think you are a bit naive. First, the offender will swear to the world they did follow the  rules. Second, their traveling companions (who might not have even been there) will swear the offender followed the rules. Third, there will be claims of some kind of slur by the crew. Fourth, some unrelated passenger who is mad because he was told to follow the rules some other place and time will start yelling about the crew acting like a bunch of ***. At that point the thing that you assume as fact - that the person violated the rules - comes into question. Next comes the Monday morning quarterbacking about the punishment. Then come the lawyers.

Carnival has to tread lightly. I think they are doing pretty good job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, icft said:

I think you are a bit naive. First, the offender will swear to the world they did follow the  rules. Second, their traveling companions (who might not have even been there) will swear the offender followed the rules. Third, there will be claims of some kind of slur by the crew. Fourth, some unrelated passenger who is mad because he was told to follow the rules some other place and time will start yelling about the crew acting like a bunch of ***. At that point the thing that you assume as fact - that the person violated the rules - comes into question. Next comes the Monday morning quarterbacking about the punishment. Then come the lawyers.

Carnival has to tread lightly. I think they are doing pretty good job.

And there will be video showing that they were lying, both from the ships cameras and probably security body cams.  Also, if they start abusing crew members for any reason, they will be disembarked for that, regardless of the reason.  The lawyers could try and do anything, but they will loose.

13 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sounds great in theory and so simple, right? Just start tossing individuals and large groups off? In reality, it's anything but. There is no way to accomplish compelling human behavior without force and/or violence. There is a reason you gear up to deal with folks when you expect to go hands on. It's can get real ugly, real quickly and get out of control with inexperienced people given a bit of power and tunnel vision. Controlling combative, drunk, and angry folks looking for trouble isn't easy. I've seen the results go terribly when not done correctly and end up with a bigger problem. Sometimes you settle for controlling the controllable, preventing large scale conflicts/escalation, and leave well enough alone.      

Again, people that act this way for any reason are often disembarked.  Abusing the crew is not tolerated for any reason.  This would be handled by security, and they are trained and equipped to go "hands on" if necessary.  Try striking a crew member for any reason at all and see what happens.  You, and possibly your traveling companions, will be watching the ship sail away from the next port.  Go read about how the ship prepared for the planned "protest" a couple of weeks ago.  Thankfully what they prepared for did not happen, but they were ready.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. The poster above made some valid points on how I think it would go too. You dismiss lawsuits and court cases as insignificant, they cost a lot of money. PR is also delicate. Some groups are more equal than others and untouchable for the most part (you can spend the money to be "right" but it isn't worth it most of the time). Also, having spent years doing exactly what you are insinuating and countless incidents of dealing with physical removal and physical altercations, it almost never goes exactly the same each time, some are easy and some you nurse your bruises/cuts and dunk your face in ice water to relive the OC burning your face/lips. A few guys end up with broken bones or concussions inevitably also. Medical care isn't cheap and medical evacuations are very expensive. Not conducive to a family line vacation MO IMO.    

I agree. Why elevate a nonproblem to an international issue. Wait till the press gets ahold of that! The same press that today says that most ships are now being investigated by CDC (without stating the low threshold needed for an “investigation”) and cruising should stop. Even highly trained law enforcement need to hesitate to uphold the law these days. They can get in trouble for doing their jobs. Presume the same for ship crew.

• Like 1