Experience with Switch Health Tests

Atlantic Girl

We decided to go ahead and travel to our Allure Cruise leaving Dec 30th. Got the Switch Health tests at Halifax Airport and had the results before we got back to the parking spot. Test #1 a go. Flew to Ft Lauderdale on Dec 27th and had 3 seperate Antigen tests booked (2  backups) for Dec 28.  That gave us 2 days to get our tests done. First test was with Beepermd at the hotel, they didn’t show or reply to texts, phone calls or emails. So on to test #2 booked at Walgreens. We had received an email confirming our tests and that we had to call the location and tell them we were a walk-in as we didn’t rent a car. Walgreens said no, they were not allowing walk-ins any  more. On to Test#3 our Switch proctored tests purchased through Aeroplan. We had a winner, so easy to do and the agent stayed and chatted while waiting for the results. She did both of us together, and stayed with us until she Declared us negative. Will be doing this for sure again, but it is essential to have backups. Wore N95 masks. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Atlantic Girl said:

We decided to go ahead and travel to our Allure Cruise leaving Dec 30th. Got the Switch Health tests at Halifax Airport and had the results before we got back to the parking spot. Test #1 a go. Flew to Ft Lauderdale on Dec 27th and had 3 seperate Antigen tests booked (2  backups) for Dec 28.  That gave us 2 days to get our tests done. First test was with Beepermd at the hotel, they didn’t show or reply to texts, phone calls or emails. So on to test #2 booked at Walgreens. We had received an email confirming our tests and that we had to call the location and tell them we were a walk-in as we didn’t rent a car. Walgreens said no, they were not allowing walk-ins any  more. On to Test#3 our Switch proctored tests purchased through Aeroplan. We had a winner, so easy to do and the agent stayed and chatted while waiting for the results. She did both of us together, and stayed with us until she Declared us negative. Will be doing this for sure again, but it is essential to have backups. Wore N95 masks. 

I joined aeroplan to get cheaper pricing on covid 19 rapid antigen test kits mailed it's 79$ for two in the box. Is it safe to say one box will do a couple? I have 4 people should we buy more than is needed. Anyone use these and have trouble?

Thanks for sharing, this puts my mind at ease with our current plans. I plan on using the RT-LAMP test from Switch Health for re-entry into Canada. Will complete it early in the morning of disembarking, as soon as I can connect to cellular data on my phone (I never buy wifi packages on board). Seems to be the least stressful option for me personally when catching a 2 PM flight home. Testing at pier and terminal will be our back up options. Switch Health antigen test will be used when entering the US. We have a rental car so planning on making a couple appointments at Walgreens & CVS for testing to board the ship.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, katiecat said:

I joined aeroplan to get cheaper pricing on covid 19 rapid antigen test kits mailed it's 79$ for two in the box. Is it safe to say one box will do a couple? I have 4 people should we buy more than is needed. Anyone use these and have trouble?

If you wade through a couple of threads you will find a few reports of issues using the test. One that comes to mind involved two tests, one worked the other didn't.

27 minutes ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of ordering the Aeroplan kits too but wonder do they have an expiry date on them? My cruise is at the beginning of February so wonder when to order them.

Thanks for any help.

Stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

The kits do have an expiry date. There have been a few posts about these dates. If memory serves, none have been before February 2022.

• Like 1

I also have questions about the 2 pack.  If you load the instruction manual it says something about Test #1 and Test #2 and them being for one QR code or something.  I forget the exact words but it made me pause and wonder if we cant share a 2/pack of antigen tests but each need our own??

25 minutes ago, melbrook said:

I also have questions about the 2 pack.  If you load the instruction manual it says something about Test #1 and Test #2 and them being for one QR code or something.  I forget the exact words but it made me pause and wonder if we cant share a 2/pack of antigen tests but each need our own??

I did find it confusing as well but after reading it thoroughly I was left with the impression that you could indeed use the two included tests for two separate people.  I believe each of the two included tests included two stickers with the QR code, one is a spare in case you mess up the placement of the sticker.  One of these has to be visible when submitting your results via a photo in an email.  In the four stickers included there are two pairs of matching QR codes; the matching pair could only be used for one person.  Hope that makes sense.

58 minutes ago, kellk said:

I did find it confusing as well but after reading it thoroughly I was left with the impression that you could indeed use the two included tests for two separate people.  I believe each of the two included tests included two stickers with the QR code, one is a spare in case you mess up the placement of the sticker.  One of these has to be visible when submitting your results via a photo in an email.  In the four stickers included there are two pairs of matching QR codes; the matching pair could only be used for one person.  Hope that makes sense.

Yes that is very helpful thank you!   I am still ordering 2 boxes as I think a spare is good to have in case of a malfunction (most likely mine vs the product).  Hopefully one box will suffice and we can use the other for our next trip or gift it to a friend if they need it.    Do you happen to know if we book an appt for the call of just dial in and wait in a queue?  

I will try to answer all the questions posted. The expiry date on our box was June 2023 and I purchased  them in November. Ours were Antigen tests so you can not use them to get back into Canada, you need to purchase the RT-Lamp -2 tests for $149 mine cost $79.00 for 2 tests. We used them to board the ship. A couple of tricks that we learned through having issues getting going that I would like to share, they don’t tell you this on the instruction sheet. They will do one call for 2 people, just tell them once they come online that you both are here and ready to go. The directions says that you can use IPad or phone but that didn’t’t work for us. Only the phone would work. There is a rectangular paper card that you write your name on and then set your testing strip in the outlined area on the card. There are 2 QR codes provided to attach on the left hand side of your collection strip, for each person but you can only use 1, 1 is a backup. That’s because the tiny QR code stickers are so fragile that in trying to peel the backing off you will assuredly tear the first one. If you do then scrape it off the collection strip and put the backup one on. There that’s the hardest part over! Now another thing you need to know is you have to go into your Safari settings(if you are using iPhone) or Chrome if you are using Android , and make sure that you check Allow for both Camera and Microphone. Just using your phone camera to scan the QR code that you put on your collection device will not work. So all that done go into your ASMO account and follow the directions. Choose “At Home Kit” then it will bring up a “Launch Camera “ , do that, scan the QR code on your collection strip, it registers your kit and puts you in the queue for an agent. If it says that it times out on your call, well it really doesn’t , once you are in the queue  you’re on there til you are done. They say it takes 15 minutes to get results, but not really. The agent did me first , then my husband and she stayed and chatted for 5 minutes or so and then asked us to check our strips.she said your both negative and I thought I heard the angels sing. Then the agent goes and 15 minutes after your test you log back into your ASMO account and it asks you to upload the photos of your strips. Then you get the results in an email. Super efficient agents, I understand that there is a failure rate in the kits, but we will be doing this again in February and we will buy 2 kits next time, so we do have a backup kit. Way easier than trying to get a test somewhere in the city. Now off to the Allure in 3 hours.

B17B5C7E-6741-420F-AF75-021E9F2A0D69.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dog said:

As an aeroplan member can I purchase a Switch PCR day 2 test required by UK?

Is there a link you can direct me to so I can read up about this? 
flying YYZ to LHR. March 2022  on air Canada 

So this antigen test is acceptable to fly YYZ to LHR 

do they offer the PCR test needed while in UK?

On 12/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, melbrook said:

My husband and I were able to share one package.  However, the purpose of having 2 tests in one package is in case one doesn't work or is damaged.  We ordered 2 packages but only needed to use one.  As others have said, we all need to have a back up plan.

• Like 1

Atlantic Girl you are a super star in this house. If we go through with are 2 coming cruises you have given us the solution to the where and how to Covid testing no more gee will Princess test us and when so we can fly home. And if we arrive early for some site seeing where to get tested in Italy to board our ship. Thank you and a wedge cheese to you.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cheese please said:

Atlantic Girl you are a super star in this house. If we go through with are 2 coming cruises you have given us the solution to the where and how to Covid testing no more gee will Princess test us and when so we can fly home. And if we arrive early for some site seeing where to get tested in Italy to board our ship. Thank you and a wedge cheese to you.

(If we go through with are 2 coming cruises) this is a good example to all do not I repeat Do Not drink and write. Our are is out to lunch. Our apologies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hello, just making sure it was RCL Allure that someone has used the Switch test for. We have booked beeper Md but want a back up. So was thinking of bringing the switch health antigen with us. I wasn't sure that they would work with RCL as I didn't see US certification. If anyone knows. 

3 minutes ago, Keirandyl said:

Hello, just making sure it was RCL Allure that someone has used the Switch test for. We have booked beeper Md but want a back up. So was thinking of bringing the switch health antigen with us. I wasn't sure that they would work with RCL as I didn't see US certification. If anyone knows. 

Well that will teach me to not rely on search function 🙂 found answer. The test recieved approval from FDA in December. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the excellent information - I have 2 boxes of the switch antigen test (both expiring in June 2023) and I think we will also order the PCR-LAMP test as well now that Celebrity is moving to testing on the pier after disembarkation.  

Most probably spending an extra day post cruise so hoping we can do this 'unstressed' in our hotel room - may also try and find a backup in the local area around the hotel possibly?

• Like 1