Experience with Switch Health Tests

Atlantic Girl

We ordered a set of antigen from Switch Health for boarding our Jan 20 sailing.  I have also booked a backup appointment at Shoppers Drug Mart in case there are issues with the at home tests.  I had been wondering if there would be a delay in receiving the tests due to demand.  I ordered them on Wednesday just before 1:00pm, chose standard shipping and they arrived today just before 1:00pm.  Just about 48 hours.   We are in Burlington, Ontario.

Expiration date of June 6, 2023.  I think I will order a set of PCR as a backup in case our port testing doesn't go as planned after we leave the ship.  Given the longer expiration date I can use them when we go to Las Vegas in April.

20220107_132552.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, edrussell said:

We ordered a set of antigen from Switch Health for boarding our Jan 20 sailing.  I have also booked a backup appointment at Shoppers Drug Mart in case there are issues with the at home tests.  I had been wondering if there would be a delay in receiving the tests due to demand.  I ordered them on Wednesday just before 1:00pm, chose standard shipping and they arrived today just before 1:00pm.  Just about 48 hours.   We are in Burlington, Ontario.

Expiration date of June 6, 2023.  I think I will order a set of PCR as a backup in case our port testing doesn't go as planned after we leave the ship.  Given the longer expiration date I can use them when we go to Las Vegas in April.

20220107_132552.jpg

Same here. Bought as a back up. Expires 6/6/23. $79 Canadian through aeroplan. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:56 AM, Atlantic Girl said:

We decided to go ahead and travel to our Allure Cruise leaving Dec 30th. Got the Switch Health tests at Halifax Airport and had the results before we got back to the parking spot. Test #1 a go. Flew to Ft Lauderdale on Dec 27th and had 3 seperate Antigen tests booked (2  backups) for Dec 28.  That gave us 2 days to get our tests done. First test was with Beepermd at the hotel, they didn’t show or reply to texts, phone calls or emails. So on to test #2 booked at Walgreens. We had received an email confirming our tests and that we had to call the location and tell them we were a walk-in as we didn’t rent a car. Walgreens said no, they were not allowing walk-ins any  more. On to Test#3 our Switch proctored tests purchased through Aeroplan. We had a winner, so easy to do and the agent stayed and chatted while waiting for the results. She did both of us together, and stayed with us until she Declared us negative. Will be doing this for sure again, but it is essential to have backups. Wore N95 masks. 

1 hour ago, greendoc said:

Thanks for sharing this information. Just wondering with the LAMP PCR test if we need to order 2 or will 1 kit test 2 persons. Thanks

Wondering the exact same thing.  We have used the Switch antigen which has 2 tests but when looking at the Lamp it looks like it is an individual.

Thanks everyone for all the positive posts. We disembarked Allure this morning (Saturday Jan 8) here is how the terminal testing went. RCCL was using a company called Med Lab today. Going forward they will no longer do onboard tests. On Day 5 we received a letter giving us the details on how to book our PCR tests. We used the Royal app, didn’t need internet , it was a simple process to do. We chose the earliest time slot , which was 7:15-7:30. The app gave us a confirmation number and they also sent us a confirmation email. They advised us  to walk off the ship and bring our luggage with us. Off the ship at 7:00. The testing area was inside the terminal, after customs. By 7:20 we were registered and by 7:45 we were both done the test. We sat outside by the bus area, and after  30 minutes the results came in. Uploaded them to Arrive Can , and grabbed a taxi. At the Fort Lauderdale airport by 8:35. Very efficient service but get the earliest appointments available. When we left the testing lineup had over 50 people in it, and lots more coming. They  sent us a very  official looking results document. Much easier than expected  and nothing to be fearful about in the way it is being done now. Next trip we will be taking as a backup RT-Lamp kits from Switch Health as well as the Rapid antigen Switch Health tests. Please ask me anything about the testing that I haven’t explained.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Atlantic Girl said:

Thanks everyone for all the positive posts. We disembarked Allure this morning (Saturday Jan 8) here is how the terminal testing went. RCCL was using a company called Med Lab today. Going forward they will no longer do onboard tests. On Day 5 we received a letter giving us the details on how to book our PCR tests. We used the Royal app, didn’t need internet , it was a simple process to do. We chose the earliest time slot , which was 7:15-7:30. The app gave us a confirmation number and they also sent us a confirmation email. They advised us  to walk off the ship and bring our luggage with us. Off the ship at 7:00. The testing area was inside the terminal, after customs. By 7:20 we were registered and by 7:45 we were both done the test. We sat outside by the bus area, and after  30 minutes the results came in. Uploaded them to Arrive Can , and grabbed a taxi. At the Fort Lauderdale airport by 8:35. Very efficient service but get the earliest appointments available. When we left the testing lineup had over 50 people in it, and lots more coming. They  sent us a very  official looking results document. Much easier than expected  and nothing to be fearful about in the way it is being done now. Next trip we will be taking as a backup RT-Lamp kits from Switch Health as well as the Rapid antigen Switch Health tests. Please ask me anything about the testing that I haven’t explained.

On 1/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, broberts said:

Has anyone tried using the PCR-LAMP test using shipboard internet?q

I am wondering the same thing. I was planning on using my iPad and the ship internet on my next cruise.  Hoping someone has had experience with this and can share. 

2 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Great service again from Switch - ordered the Lamp tests on Saturday with expedited delivery ($15) and they were delivered in Winnipeg on Tuesday by Purolator.

Now if only they could get their in person test results that fast 🙂

(Sorry I couldn't help it 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I’m not cruising until mid April (NCL) and I know a lot can change by then, but do you have to test to disembark in the US? Or can a PCR (or equivalent) test be booked at the airport the day of the return flight to Canada?

It sounds like most cruise lines are moving away from testing on board. 

36 minutes ago, Blueberry89 said:

I’m not cruising until mid April (NCL) and I know a lot can change by then, but do you have to test to disembark in the US? Or can a PCR (or equivalent) test be booked at the airport the day of the return flight to Canada?

It sounds like most cruise lines are moving away from testing on board. 

At the moment the US does not require a negative test to enter by land or sea, just by air.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:19 PM, Atlantic Girl said:

When we left the testing lineup had over 50 people in it, and lots more coming. 

I'm not excited to think of how long that line will be for our March break cruise, with what would normally be thousands of Canadians.  That is, if we go.  

Might have to look into the switch tests and do them on the last sea day with Surf and Stream. Either that, our book a test between Detroit and Port Huron before we drive over the border after we land in Detroit. I should probably check DTW to see if they offer tests there.  I would think they do.  Results could be received and uploaded before we get close to the Blue Water Bridge. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the pcr test info. This greatly helps.

Do you remember around what time you received the letter to book your test? Was it left in your cabin? 

Were there a lot of spots to choose for early appointments?

We asked every day at the Guest Services Desk about our PCR test appointments. Every day they said to check back the next day, as they were waiting direction from head office. Finally they indicated that it would be around Day 5. Sure enough as we were leaving to go to dinner on Day 5 , there was a letter on our door. It had a QR code to scan and you could use the Royal app.and then gave us the directions on how to proceed. There were appointments spaced 15 minutes apart but it appeared that there were several spots in each 15 minute interval. How many, I don’t know , but there were 2 testers available and 3 people doing checkin. Get the early appointment, we were out of there fast, definitely could have made a 11:00 flight.

• Like 1

So glad I came across this thread!

I'm traveling on Sunday to board Anthem on 1/31and had ordered the Switch Health kit at the beginning of the month, thinking I'd be good as I'm traveling solo and the kit has 2 tests.

However, i've just booked a back up test at Shoppers for Sunday morning in case I have issues with the test. I plan to get in the queue by 7am Sunday morning which I hope is enough time for a successful test and to cancel the booking.