CDC Advice Against Cruises

tring

10 hours ago, tring said:

The BBC news website is reporting that the CDC has advised Americans to avoid cruises. 

OK not applicable to the UK, but I wonder if this will be followed with restrictions on cruising elsewhere.

I am sure we will not be far behind with QM2 cutting short a cruise and heading home.

I don't think the authorities here will move too quickly on this. It is worth remembering that in the USA only just over 70% of those aged 12 and over have received two doses of vaccine and only 36% of over 18's have had a booster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I don't think the authorities here will move too quickly on this. It is worth remembering that in the USA only just over 70% of those aged 12 and over have received two doses of vaccine and only 36% of over 18's have had a booster.

Andrew that's true, in fact I saw on CNN that it was only 61% fully vacc'd.  Today they are saying they have more children in hospital with this than at any other time.  Whole thing is a nightmare.

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

Totally agree. There is no need for the UK government to get involved, especially with the head of the NHS declaring that no new government restrictions are required.

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Andrew that's true, in fact I saw on CNN that it was only 61% fully vacc'd.  Today they are saying they have more children in hospital with this than at any other time.  Whole thing is a nightmare.

The figures I quoted are from the CDC vaccination tracker Jean. As you say however, the situation over there is pretty dire at the moment.

I too think it very unlikely the UK government will get involved.  The CDC is a very different beast from, for example, the FCDO.  And the UK (English, certainly) approach at the moment seems to be to allow individuals to make informed decisions rather than mandating measures.  And the CDC's ongoing focus on cruising in isolation makes no sense at all given that the testing and vaccine regimes associated with cruising (including on US lines out of the US) probably lead to a risk far lower than that associated with air travel and much of day-to-day life.

• Like 3

But cruising in many cases has associated air travel and day-to-day life immediately before it. Testing and vaccines aren't a cast iron guarantee. Its all down to whether you think the risk is less than the reward

Edited by howmuch!
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am sure we will not be far behind with QM2 cutting short a cruise and heading home.

That is not quite accurate. They are remaining in Barbados waiting for additional crew to arrive to provide cover for any that are in quarantine/sick. The delay will mean they cannot make NYC and will sail straight home. Passengers can remain on board till Southampton or fly home at Cunard's expense. 

• Thanks 1

• Host Sharon changed the title to CDC Advice Against Cruises

The problems in the UK though seem to me to partially be because of infection from children.  The US and Canada are both vaccinating children from the age of 5.  Everyone we have heard of who has become infected has got it from a relation and the initial infection was taken into the family by a child.

I must admit the news about the government preparing Nightingale units does show that the intention is to let numbers rise without any more controls, though I have no idea where they think they will get the staff for them.

What I would like to see is vaccine passports brought in for all public venues and for bars, restaurants etc.  We have needed them for a bar and a museum in France and to go into the restaurant of  the Parador in La Gomera.  They just scan the QR code as we enter and they can see we have had three vaccines.  That is the only way the non vaxers will think of getting vaccinated.  At least my husband eventually made a hospital appointment on Wednesday, which had previously been delayed at short notice on three occasions.

Cruises do have more constraints than other places, so should be safer, but what the cruise lines can continue to control as numbers increase remains to be seen.  I do not want controls on my life any more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I have enquired with my UK travel insurance provider whether or not I am still covered on a cruise out of the US due to this new advice from the CDC. Due to fly out to Miami 3 weeks tomorrow. I don't feel optimistic of their response. 😞

Incase anyone else is interested. The CDC recommendation doesn't have any impact on my travel insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 cruises cut short in Europe  because of Covid and the passengers flown home.  Tui, Aida and Costa.  It would be such a disappointment to miss the ports you have chosen and then have the holiday cut short and you are flown home.