In quarantine on Equinox. Ask me anything. I’m bored.

Parkerson

13 hours ago, Pushkin said:

We stayed at Four Points for our pre-cruise stay (January 2nd).   I would Never stay at that hotel again.  The room was barely adequate, but the service personnel were among the worst I have ever seen!  Front desk were indifferent, provided wrong information, shuttle to/from airport was unreliable - just a mess.  And now I hear that it was housing Covid positive cruisers.  Somehow it seems that I should have been informed of that at check-in.  I would definitely NOT stay there for Covid quarantine.

It seems to me that any hotel could have Covid positive cases.  No one is asking for a negative Covid test to check into a hotel in Florida that I’ve heard of.   Get off a ship needing to quarantine, book a hotel that does contactless check-in and quarantine.

Room service or delivery food, get some snacks, wine etc delivered , spend a couple of hours at the outdoor pool if feeling well.  It would be boring as H but I  think there are positive travelers in many hotels 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

It seems to me that any hotel could have Covid positive cases.  No one is asking for a negative Covid test to check into a hotel in Florida that I’ve heard of.   Get off a ship needing to quarantine, book a hotel that does contactless check-in and quarantine.

Room service or delivery food, get some snacks, wine etc delivered , spend a couple of hours at the outdoor pool if feeling well.  It would be boring as H but I  think there are positive travelers in many hotels 

And probably plenty that don't even know it, or just have a 'cold'.  Much like anywhere else these days. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 3:39 AM, canderson said:

Hmmm... good point.  I distinctly recall that this is how the airlines used to manage it.  Got stuck in Seattle (not quarantine, just mechanical issues) when our flight for Tokyo was cancelled.  Some of us were put up at the Hilton, but most were sent to the local Red Lion or something along those lines.  The difference was 1st/business vs. economy.

@LGW59

The airline I use to work for would put first and business in Hilton,  Sofitel or similar 4 or 5 star. Economy was usually Holiday Inn, Premier Inn or Novotel, 3 or 4 star but sometimes whatever was available. Difficult sometimes trying to get 400 plus rooms at 10pm plus transport when the last flight of the day goes tech 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

The airline I use to work for would put first and business in Hilton,  Sofitel or similar 4 or 5 star. Economy was usually Holiday Inn, Premier Inn or Novotel, 3 or 4 star but sometimes whatever was available. Difficult sometimes trying to get 400 plus rooms at 10pm plus transport when the last flight of the day goes tech 

Perhaps its different in the U.K.  Here in the US, the airlines have agreements multiple hotels yet the hotels have agreements with multiple airlines.  First/Business vs economy doesn't matter, there can be some special treatment for whom the airline designates VIPs yet simply booking 1st/business doesn't necessarily qualify.  It's a complete first come first serve basis, yet because 1st/business class is the first to get off the plane, they will generally receive the most attractive hotels.

Here's one of my experiences.  In Jan 2020, directly due to a covid related medical emergency our long haul flight was delayed and we missed our connecting flight.  Landed at 1230am, there wasn't a gate agent we were directed to visit ticketing if we wanted to change our replacement flight which was booked for 6am.  While there wasn't too bad a wait for immigrations, thanks to global entry we beat about 50 pax most who were business class.  We elected to NOT grab our bags yet in favor of heading straight to ticketing.  We get to ticketing and the agents were recommending that anyone that had a super early flight to just "relax, find a quiet place in the airport and take a snooze".  99% of people including us were unsatisfied with this and requested a hotel room and later flight.  They were making it difficult as we were there for about 10mins and heard many other passenger and ticket agent conversations; pretty much the same dynamic, you really had to plead your case if you wanted a room and a later flight, agents needed to call supervisors to get that approved.  We were at SFO, we received the very last room within SFO area thanks to us rushing to ticketing, the next hotel was in San Jose and was an hour away.  The bigger problem is that hotel only has one shuttle so if that shuttle just left the airport you're not going to see it again at least for two hours.  All and all, everything was based on a first come, first serve basis.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Perhaps its different in the U.K.  Here in the US, the airlines have agreements multiple hotels yet the hotels have agreements with multiple airlines.  First/Business vs economy doesn't matter, there can be some special treatment for whom the airline designates VIPs yet simply booking 1st/business doesn't necessarily qualify.  It's a complete first come first serve basis, yet because 1st/business class is the first to get off the plane, they will generally receive the most attractive hotels.

Here's one of my experiences.  In Jan 2020, directly due to a covid related medical emergency our long haul flight was delayed and we missed our connecting flight.  Landed at 1230am, there wasn't a gate agent we were directed to visit ticketing if we wanted to change our replacement flight which was booked for 6am.  While there wasn't too bad a wait for immigrations, thanks to global entry we beat about 50 pax most who were business class.  We elected to NOT grab our bags yet in favor of heading straight to ticketing.  We get to ticketing and the agents were recommending that anyone that had a super early flight to just "relax, find a quiet place in the airport and take a snooze".  99% of people including us were unsatisfied with this and requested a hotel room and later flight.  They were making it difficult as we were there for about 10mins and heard many other passenger and ticket agent conversations; pretty much the same dynamic, you really had to plead your case if you wanted a room and a later flight, agents needed to call supervisors to get that approved.  We were at SFO, we received the very last room within SFO area thanks to us rushing to ticketing, the next hotel was in San Jose and was an hour away.  The bigger problem is that hotel only has one shuttle so if that shuttle just left the airport you're not going to see it again at least for two hours.  All and all, everything was based on a first come, first serve basis.

You'll be lucky to find an airline  ticket desk now at a major airports. Pre covid a lot of national airlines were closing their outstations ticket desks.  Covid accelerated this practice

With modern practices with disruptions rebookings are done at head offices and new flights sent to paxs phones .

Aviation has changed a lot since I started working at airline ticket desks in the 70s....