Florida - Daily New COVID Cases

Newbury newbie

Due to fly into FL on 11th Feb to join Silhouette on 14th Feb. We’re still up for this and already checked-in and looking forward to it. The stats right now look alarming for Florida, but I appreciate that the media like to blow this up somewhat! So, what’s it like in reality? Are those going down predominantly the anti-maskers and anti-Vaxers? Or is it also affecting those fully faxed, wearing a mask and generally doing the right things to stay safe?

We live in the sarasota area. The hospitals are reporting 98% hospitalized are not vaccinated. Numbers are high. But I work in medical and believe if you mask, practice good hygiene and social distance the odds are with you. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, cbfb said:

We live in the sarasota area. The hospitals are reporting 98% hospitalized are not vaccinated. Numbers are high. But I work in medical and believe if you mask, practice good hygiene and social distance the odds are with you. 

Thank you for that. That’s what I was hoping for. I get it that being vaccinated and boostered doesn’t rule anything out, we wouldn’t want to be going “positive” in the 3 days we’re there awaiting boarding the ship. 

We also live in Sarasota.  As cbfb has already said, the vast majority of hospitalizations for COVID here are unvaccinated.  However, in the past ten days we have seen a dramatic rise in mild or asymptomatic breakthrough cases among the vaccinated.   I personally know at least 4 folks who are in that category, and they were all diligent about masking, etc.  Reports of how easily Omicron spreads do not appear to be exaggerated.

If anything, I think the case numbers reported in FL are actually skewed low.  We know people who did at-home self tests, were positive and just self-isolated for 5 days.  Others who are feeling unwell but with mild cold symptoms are not bothering to wait in lines to get tested, as around here the mass testing stations are reporting wait times of up to four hours and it is now taking 4-5 days to get results back from those tests.  The latest numbers I have seem for Sarasota show a positivity rate among the tested between 16-19%, which is shockingly high.

My best advice to those coming into FL a few days before a cruise is to self-isolate as much as practical and wear a mask or two whenever you need to be out in public.  Our governor and the state administration are doing all they can to downplay this latest outbreak (they still actively threaten to sue any businesses, including cruiselines, that want to impose vaccine mandates), but the truth has a way of bubbling out.

• Like 2

Good luck..just stay away from crowded spaces..wear masks.  They may help. Where are you testing?

We flew here (fl west coast) on a full flight in Nov.  Everyone wore masks on the plane and in the airport.  Increasing mask usage  is now observed in supermarket, home depot, etc   semi  mandatory at the bank to sign papers, and optional most places..restaurants space folks out. Pool is no masks...we mostly eat in, do take out or use  food trucks that come into the Community

We are laying low,.family could not visit over holidays..They were quarantined in NY by Covid tracers..who finally let go of them. We have tix to fly back fir a few days  in late Jan..nervous about that..covid and or canx flts.

Hope you have a great cruise

Hang by the pool and keep as best distance you can.  I'd also take your test as soon as you can given the 2 day deadline.  

You have 5 weeks before arrival.  Even Fauci has said it may peak before then.   Hope so...we have Oceania on Feb 7.

37 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

We were planning on getting the proctored self test kits delivered to our hotel, ready for our arrival. 

Hi - on another thread I have been asking what X do if you test positive before even boarding the ship!  If you have booked your own flights (like we have) then the answer is very little - my worry is how on earth we find somewhere to stay that accepts people who are positive!

We are going to try for the Walgreens drive through tests (which are Free) and if that fails our hotel in FLL offers free tests too.

I'll post back on our Brit experiences and how we are getting on!

BTW: my mother was born and married in Newbury!!  We go back generations there! 

We are in Central FL. Infection rate is very high. But our recent anecdotal experience is that at least half of the local population is not masking or distancing. One family member contracted a breakthrough case a couple of weeks ago. She had the cold like symptoms. Not too bad, but it would keep you off the ship. She contracted it by eating out with a few other people - one of whom was +.

We echo the advice from others:

• self test after your flight to give you a heads up if not taking the proctored test a short time after arriving.  
  • Avoid contact with others as much as possible because it IS spreading here. Think room service instead of restaurant, and staying outside or in your room. 

In summary, we have not seen evidence that the risks of serious effects are very high for vaccinated. But, if infected, it will keep you off the ship.

We are on the Apex on 1/22 and we are voluntarily quarantining at home until then.

Good Luck - hope you avoid infection and have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Hi - on another thread I have been asking what X do if you test positive before even boarding the ship!  If you have booked your own flights (like we have) then the answer is very little - my worry is how on earth we find somewhere to stay that accepts people who are positive!

We are going to try for the Walgreens drive through tests (which are Free) and if that fails our hotel in FLL offers free tests too.

I have four nights pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale and have the same worries as my flights are not booked through Celebrity.

I thought I might find a list online of local hotels who are government approved (or are simply willing) to take people who have to quarantine.

I've totally drawn a blank. It seems even if they are willing, understandably, they're not particularly keen on advertising the fact.

Like you say, at that point, it's not Celebrity's problem.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the positivity rate. It varies greatly from one county to another here in Florida. We recently traveled to NYC, Long Island and Northern NJ and the positivity rates there were just as high or higher than they are here. Mask wearing seemed to be the same there as here.

As long as you take the steps you can (vaccinating, hand washing etc) then you are as protected as you can be.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Hi Little Britain,

You’ve got a few cruises under your belt there!!

We arrive on a self booked VA flight Friday pm and plan to self test Saturday am. Our hotel (The Riverside) is offering free tests but these are PCR with results within 48 hours of receipt at the lab. There’s a concern we won’t get these by the Monday am, hence going the other route. 

I’d be interested how you fare later this month. 

Phil

50 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

Hi Little Britain,

You’ve got a few cruises under your belt there!!

We arrive on a self booked VA flight Friday pm and plan to self test Saturday am. Our hotel (The Riverside) is offering free tests but these are PCR with results within 48 hours of receipt at the lab. There’s a concern we won’t get these by the Monday am, hence going the other route. 

I’d be interested how you fare later this month. 

Phil

We are also at the Riverside. They used to offer both LFT and PCR: let’s hope LFTs are put back on the menu! 

1 hour ago, Tatra603 said:

I have four nights pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale and have the same worries as my flights are not booked through Celebrity.

I thought I might find a list online of local hotels who are government approved (or are simply willing) to take people who have to quarantine.

I've totally drawn a blank. It seems even if they are willing, understandably, they're not particularly keen on advertising the fact.

I can’t find anything either! …. X must have struck a deal with hotels in the area where they put the pax off the ships- perhaps they will share the names if pressed. I can kind of understand hotels not wanting the advertise that they take the “unclean”!

I was wondering about an air bnb….?

4 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

There isn't "government approved" hotels here in the US for any purpose.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, little britain said:

Make your Walgreens appointment one week out or you won’t be able to get an appointment as they are appointment only.  The tests are also done through the drive through window so you need a car.