Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

43 minutes ago, markgray said:

I read this as "you can use our tests onboard, as long as we don't run out".  We are on Athens April 9th cruise and assume this means we will test (on the ship at their facility) the sea day before we fly out on disembarkation morning.

As I read the rules regarding coming back to the US from Canada you only need a test if returning by air not if you are returning by rail or car. Can anyone verify that ?

On 3/17/2022 at 3:42 PM, hubble said:

I came across a link today that I-Health now offers a verified proctor service for only $20 a test if you use your own I-Health Antigen Rapid Test kit (these are the ones that many US Citizens got free from the Govt starting in January).  If you don't have one of the free test kits, they sell a 2 pk test kit w/one procotor test result for $37.  This seems like a great price, and worth the money to do it on-line vs. going to CVS or Walgreens before our upcoming cruise.  Has anyone done this successfully for their Princess cruise?  The I-Health site says it meets the requirements of the CDC for all airlines coming into the US, and they do provide you with a email confirmation.  It does not confirm if it is accepted by cruise lines, and says you need to verify your line will accept it.  

Anyone with first hand knowledge if this test is acceptable?  I'm only 30 days out from my cruise, and honestly hoping testing will no longer required by then.  Happy to see Canada and the UK are no longer requiring testing for their countries, so maybe the US AND the cruise lines will follow suit before I leave.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

I ordered several free test kits from them US government. iHealth will monitored the test for $20.00. I sent them the Princess antigen requirement for boarding in Fort Lauderdale and this was their reply:

Brian (iHealth Labs, Inc.) 

Mar 17, 2022, 4:06 PM PDT 

Hello,
Yes, our Verified Test can be used to fulfill the testing requirements of Princess Cruise Line, provided that you are fully vaccinated.
Customer Service Representative

iHealth Lab, Inc.
http://ihealthlabs.com

13 minutes ago, billco said:

I ordered several free test kits from them US government. iHealth will monitored the test for $20.00. I sent them the Princess antigen requirement for boarding in Fort Lauderdale and this was their reply:

Hello,
Yes, our Verified Test can be used to fulfill the testing requirements of Princess Cruise Line, provided that you are fully vaccinated.

iHealth Lab, Inc.

That's good news as I'm fully vaccinated + booster.  I already have a number of the free govt IHealth tests at home, so I think I'll go ahead and purchase the monitored test for $20 and set up the appt.  Looks like you can book an appt. 30 days out.  If anyone actually does this with IHealth, please post your experience so we know what to expect.  I think this is a really good inexpensive option.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, billco said:

Hello,

iHealth Lab, Inc.

Great post! Thank you for doing this! You do your fellow cruisers proud.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:54 PM, Honey-B said:

Hi Waddle,  

Do you know if the tests that they do at Boots for £30 are acceptable or do you have to go somewhere else?

Think we’ll book the supervised at home test through Prenetics, recommended by Princess and results within 20 mins for £30

2 hours ago, waddle said:

Think we’ll book the supervised at home test through Prenetics, recommended by Princess and results within 20 mins for £30

What computer will you use? Can this be done with an IPhone?

I am going to pay Princess “nominal” (lol) charge of $60 per person at port for covid tests, however I will “recoup” it by NOT spending it on on board spends, like photos, bingo, shop purchases, extra tips etc. People only have so much money. 

49 minutes ago, Rachand said:

I am going to pay Princess “nominal” (lol) charge of $60 per person at port for covid tests, however I will “recoup” it by NOT spending it on on board spends, like photos, bingo, shop purchases, extra tips etc. People only have so much money. 

Excellent point!

15 hours ago, billco said:

Hello,

iHealth Lab, Inc.

Don't you need Princess to say this is acceptable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rachand said:

Where do you see $60? Posters have mentioned $150. Princess website says $100 at LA and FLL. I have thought of this as a fallback position in case other tests do not come through in time. You do need an appointment, right, how do you make an appointment. Finally, the risk is doing test at last minute, perhaps using a home test as a check before you leave home?

17 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Where do you see $60? Posters have mentioned $150. Princess website says $100 at LA and FLL. I have thought of this as a fallback position in case other tests do not come through in time. You do need an appointment, right, how do you make an appointment. Finally, the risk is doing test at last minute, perhaps using a home test as a check before you leave home?

I just chatted with Princess via website and was told that the "nominal fee" is $100 pp. This doesn't seem right for people flying in from other countries. We (Americans) took a cruise in January out of Ft. Lauderdale and the fellow cruisers from the UK were able to test at the pier for free. Americans had to pay if they showed up without a test, however. 

18 hours ago, billco said:

Hello,

iHealth Lab, Inc.

This sounded like a great option until I read the technical requirements.  Will only work with a laptop or desktop, not a tablet or phone.  😩 

Hope someone can answer this.  If you do a rapid antigen test at home and it is positive we now isolate for 5 days (I’m in Canada), but we don’t have proof of a positive test.  We now test the day before flying into the US, cruising April 3, if that test is positive how do we prove we are recovered without proof as it was an at home test.  Any ideas?  Hope this makes sense.  

thanks kindly,

Diane 

2 minutes ago, PrincessDano said:

Hope someone can answer this.  If you do a rapid antigen test at home and it is positive we now isolate for 5 days (I’m in Canada), but we don’t have proof of a positive test.  We now test the day before flying into the US, cruising April 3, if that test is positive how do we prove we are recovered without proof as it was an at home test.  Any ideas?  Hope this makes sense.  

thanks kindly,

Diane 

You can't, and apparently you're either not recovered or reinfected.  Either way, you have a travel problem.

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Don't you need Princess to say this is acceptable?

Following is the text of the e-mail I sent to iHealth who replied with a "Yes." It is enough for me. I am only passing the information. Others may have a higher risk level.

"We will be departing the US on a Princess Cruise Line ship on April 8, 2022. We are required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3 days before embarkation. Will your Verified COVID Test Service for Travel meet the following cruise line criteria for monitored self test. 

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as an at-home test) that meets the following criteria:

The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.
Princess has partnered with Optum and Radeas so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door. These at-home tests include a telehealth service. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your Optum test kit^ or Radeas test kit online^."

What annoys me, is I have to rapid test EVERYDAY as part of my job, but the results are not valid for travel for Princess. Plus I can PCR test  for free at work, and it won't count.   Just less money for me to spend on the trip

57 minutes ago, carma7007 said:

What annoys me, is I have to rapid test EVERYDAY as part of my job, but the results are not valid for travel for Princess. Plus I can PCR test  for free at work, and it won't count.   Just less money for me to spend on the trip

Is you PCR test not done by a medical professional ?  We get PCR tests for free at our health provider and have assumed they will be good for travel

18 hours ago, billco said:

Following is the text of the e-mail I sent to iHealth who replied with a "Yes." It is enough for me. I am only passing the information. Others may have a higher risk level.

Great, thanks. BTW I was not being argumentative, I thought Princess spelt out the acceptable vendors versus the features of the test.

23 hours ago, PrincessDano said:

thanks kindly,

Diane 

As soon as you get a positive from a at home test, you can take an other one from a private laboratory to have an official result in hand.

32 minutes ago, Moustique said:

As soon as you get a positive from a at home test, you can take an other one from a private laboratory to have an official result in hand.

I’m confused… do you mean a negative test. Excuse my ignorance re positive/negative tests 🤔

Edited by devonuk
Error