Tested Positive on Ship - Anyone with experience on how return home handled?

I know for a while they were sending covid positive guests home via private flights.  Looking for anyone with actual experience to share their story so we can understand how to be prepared.  Any guidance helpful!    A side note.   Our care has been wonderful and the staff including medical doing everything to make us comfortable.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Stewiesmom66 said:

I know for a while they were sending covid positive guests home via private flights.  Looking for anyone with actual experience to share their story so we can understand how to be prepared.  Any guidance helpful!    A side note.   Our care has been wonderful and the staff including medical doing everything to make us comfortable.     

I think you should be asking the staff on the ship what to expect.  I do not think they provide private flights anymore.  I thought I saw something about people having to arrange their own travel changes to get home.  You may have to continue to quarantine after you get off the ship depending on how many days you are in quarantine on the ship.  

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

I've got a b2b next booked so I fear the mid way test.

Did you drive or fly, that might help people know what you are looking for more specifically.  I'm driving. So might be different. 

Sorry to hear you tested positive. Following.

We flew from Michigan and embarked in San Juan.  My husband tested positive and is mildly sick.  Much better today.  I tested positive but asymptomatic.     We plan to discuss with staff tomorrow but was hoping to get some insight into how others similar situations were handled.   In all transparency.  They have been moving people to isolation all day.   On the bright side we were moved to the same type of balcony room we booked just on a different floor

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hope you are able to get things worked out expeditiously. And hope you have mild cases, recover quickly. 

If on the social media site we can’t mention here, and part of a group for your ship, you might get a response there about sailings from PR. 

Edited by barbeyg

8 minutes ago, Stewiesmom66 said:

We flew from Michigan and embarked in San Juan.  My husband tested positive and is mildly sick.  Much better today.  I tested positive but asymptomatic.     We plan to discuss with staff tomorrow but was hoping to get some insight into how others similar situations were handled.   In all transparency.  They have been moving people to isolation all day.   On the bright side we were moved to the same type of balcony room we booked just on a different floor

There is a long thread by someone who tested positive on Explorer and was trying to get back to the UK, so different scenario.  Will try to find it and link it though.

Edit:  Found it.  It got out of control but there might be some information in it for you.

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've got a b2b next booked so I fear the mid way test.

Did you drive or fly, that might help people know what you are looking for more specifically.  I'm driving. So might be different. 

Sorry to hear you tested positive. Following.

@firefly333I also fear the test before the second cruise on our B2B.  Especially since our second cruise is a special group cruise and our whole reason for going.

We booked these during the shutdown before the testing protocols were determined.  If we had known, we would have made our group cruise the first leg of our B2B.

Good luck to you on your B2B!

----------------------------------------------------------------

To the original poster @Stewiesmom66:  I'm sorry you tested positive.  Until the surge in positive cases around the holiday sailings, most accounts I read sounded like Royal followed through on their promises.  They made reservations in quarantine hotels (and transportation to them) and sent people home on private jets.

Then the positive cases surged during the holiday cruises happened and Royal dropped the ball big time.  Some threads here had lots of details and were shut down.  Some people were told to figure out their own hotel quarantine arrangements and to just take an Uber to the hotel.  And they were told to arrange their commercial flights home by themselves.  Basically a sh@@show

I hope they treat you better.  Hopefully they will since the sailings are less crowded now and there are probably less positive people to deal with.  Please post back and let us know about your experience.

Edited by D4
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Stewiesmom66 said:

Just curious why you were both tested in the first place? Negative to board - mild symptoms, did you have to test for a port ? Are there temp checks on board? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, twobeautifulgirls said:

Just curious why you were both tested in the first place? Negative to board - mild symptoms, did you have to test for a port ? Are there temp checks on board? 

I'd like to know this also.

• Like 2

The website says only that private transfer is provided if needed. The cancellation policy says it will pay costs without specifying private transportation.

I’d say count on finishing quarantine on shore and flying home commercially at the cruise line’s expense unless you drove to the port.

1 hour ago, twobeautifulgirls said:

I would hope anyone with even mild symptoms is getting tested.  If people do not try to isolate when they are contagious the ships are going to have to completely shut down again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I would hope anyone with even mild symptoms is getting tested.  If people do not try to isolate when they are contagious the ships are going to have to completely shut down again.

The single best way to avoid getting covid is to never get tested for it !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@cindycruiselinked to my thread above.  Like you we are still in the middle of it but my husband tested positive yesterday on Odyssey.  Details are in the link provided above, but we are still working through logisitcs. We have to get back to Canada which it appears as of tomorrow requires 10+ days after a postive test before you can fly, so I think we will be in a hotel until 1/23 or 1/24

I think because you are American and flying from a US territory, you just need to quarantine for 5 days.  Depending on how many days you are quarantined onboard, you may only need to stay a few nights in a hotel then can take a commercial flight home.

Travel Guidelines | Discover Puerto Rico

• Like 3

6 hours ago, twobeautifulgirls said:

We both tested negative on the test to get into San Juan and two days later to get on ship.  Husband started feeling sick Tuesday night and got tested on ship wed morning.   As I shared a cabin with him i was automatically tested.   Our friends had a similar situation

We were initially offered isolation in San Juan but have told them we don't feel comfortable with that and prefer to get home as soon as possible.  They are working on a plan for us.  Will keep you posted.  Am hoping as there are four of us we can get the private flight

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Stewiesmom66 said:

We both tested negative on the test to get into San Juan and two days later to get on ship.  Husband started feeling sick Tuesday night and got tested on ship wed morning.   As I shared a cabin with him i was automatically tested.   Our friends had a similar situation

We were initially offered isolation in San Juan but have told them we don't feel comfortable with that and prefer to get home as soon as possible.  They are working on a plan for us.  Will keep you posted.  Am hoping as there are four of us we can get the private flight

I wish you luck let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

So its been an interesting couple days!   We pressed about the private flights home and were told the are only doing for medical emergencies now.   We will isolate in a hotel in San Juan and my husband flues home Monday and myself and our travel companions on Tuesday.  Changing flights was 6 hours waiting on Deltas chat but were able to make chgs at no cost to us.   Our companions did have a charge to change and RC said they would reimburse and gave them instructions on how to do so which will be about $900.  Happy with the hotel they are putting us in, good reviews and told we will utilize room service there.   They have continued to be kind and solicitous and dr has taken good care of my husband who was the sickest of the four of us.   In St Maarten today with four other ships that all look empty. In fact one has a banner on it that say....SECURITY WARNING STAY 50 METERS AWAY.   Our friends that avoided covid said the ship has become more and more empty.  We were only at 1100 total guest to begin with.   Our cootie floor is full based on the number of food drops we see when we get food delivered outside our door.    Crazy times friends!   We do not regret decided to come on board and are remaining positive....BUT..... please make your decisions knowing there is a distinct possibility what happened to us could happen to you.   If you still sail, go have a great time, remain positive, show grace to the staff and if this happens chalk it up to a great story to tell your friends.....in a month or two. 😊

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Stewiesmom66 said:

So its been an interesting couple days!   We pressed about the private flights home and were told the are only doing for medical emergencies now.   We will isolate in a hotel in San Juan and my husband flues home Monday and myself and our travel companions on Tuesday.  Changing flights was 6 hours waiting on Deltas chat but were able to make chgs at no cost to us.   Our companions did have a charge to change and RC said they would reimburse and gave them instructions on how to do so which will be about $900.  Happy with the hotel they are putting us in, good reviews and told we will utilize room service there.   They have continued to be kind and solicitous and dr has taken good care of my husband who was the sickest of the four of us.   In St Maarten today with four other ships that all look empty. In fact one has a banner on it that say....SECURITY WARNING STAY 50 METERS AWAY.   Our friends that avoided covid said the ship has become more and more empty.  We were only at 1100 total guest to begin with.   Our cootie floor is full based on the number of food drops we see when we get food delivered outside our door.    Crazy times friends!   We do not regret decided to come on board and are remaining positive....BUT..... please make your decisions knowing there is a distinct possibility what happened to us could happen to you.   If you still sail, go have a great time, remain positive, show grace to the staff and if this happens chalk it up to a great story to tell your friends.....in a month or two. 😊

Thanks for the update.  Hope everyone feels better soon.  Did you happen to see the name of the ship with the warning sign on it?  I wonder if that is one of the crew quarantine ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stewiesmom66 said:

I'm happy things are being taken care of for you & your family & companions.  Kindness goes a long way.

Sorry you had the long wait with Delta I had to make a change for a flight we have in August on Delta and waited 7 hours for Chat to pick up at 3am. I went to bed and put my phone next to me. On another note I called United to ask a question about if I cancelled left my number & they called me back in 40 min. With Delta it is non stop with United we have a stop but I needed to use a certificate I had from 2020.

Where in Michigan are you from? We're from Michigan too.

Safe travels home for everyone.

Edited by Lorey2007
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, D4 said:

Thanks for telling us all the details.

Did your husband have the option to wait and fly home with you on Tuesday?

Yes but as he was the sickest thought it best to get him home and close to our primary physicians.  That and we have pets that while they were being well cared for are missing us.  I dont mind traveling solo so wasnt a big deal for us

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I'm happy things are being taken care of for you & your family & companions.  Kindness goes a long way.

Sorry you had the long wait with Delta I had to make a change for a flight we have in August on Delta and waited 7 hours for Chat to pick up at 3am. I went to bed and put my phone next to me. On another note I called United to ask a question about if I cancelled left my number & they called me back in 40 min. With Delta it is non stop with United we have a stop but I needed to use a certificate I had from 2020.

Where in Michigan are you from? We're from Michigan too.

Safe travels home for everyone.

Grand rapids… you?