ECLIPSE sailings cancelled March through 16th April

christybell

Just received the following email..... so disappointed. Back to the drawing board!

Dear Guest,

We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2022 cruise vacation. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to continuously evaluate our operational plans and ship itineraries. As a result, we will be suspending four Celebrity Eclipse sailings departing March 26, 2022 through April 16, 2022.

I am sorry that your cruise was cancelled.

I am posting a copy of the letter that is being sent out for others to see:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vgN3KnWUuqpnAccYrlfQL3MFx8GmS6-K/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=117499661719044014957&rtpof=true&sd=true

At least Celebrity is giving you 2 weeks to exercise your Lift and Shift option although it is limited to Sep/Oct 2022 Millennium sailings.

Edited by mahdnc

A total of four 7 night Eclipse sailings were cancelled.   Those affected can Lift and Shift to any one of five Millennium sailings in Sep-Oct 2022.  One of them is an 8 night sailing.

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that shows it more clearly.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

We had a SV balcony booked on Eclipse, can anyone advise how a lift and shift works with cabin type? 

The Millennium is a different class of ship, can anyone advise what category the aft balcony cabins are on Millennium?

Many thanks

33 minutes ago, christybell said:

We had a SV balcony booked on Eclipse, can anyone advise how a lift and shift works with cabin type? 

The Millennium is a different class of ship, can anyone advise what category the aft balcony cabins are on Millennium?

Many thanks

When you Lift and Shift, you are transferred to a cabin of the same category.  There are some small exceptions to this general rule when transferring you to the same cabin category doesn't work (e.g. the are no more of those cabins available on the shifted cruise, you need a triple when doubles are all that are left, etc). For us, we were lifted and shifted from a quad balcony cabin (Millennium) to two adjoining balcony cabins (Solstice) for one of our cancelled cruises.

Currently on Millennium there are 3 aft balcony cabins on Decks 7, 8, and 9 that are categorized as C1 cabins which are supposed to re-designated as SV cabins (deck plan below).  You will want one of these 9 cabins.  I typically advise people to stay away from Deck 9 though because it is directly beneath a public deck.

Although those 9 cabins are currently category C1 (which Celebrity may consider as an upgrade to an SV), you should point out to Celebrity that they are scheduled to become SV cabins by the time you sail.

If you have more than 2 people in your Eclipse SV cabin that have to be shifted, you might be able to convince Celebrity to put you in one of the FV cabins (aft, dark maroon/brown color cabins in the deck plans below).  Those cabins are much larger, furnished to sleep 4 passengers, and the ones on the corner have a huge balcony.

Current deck plan with current cabin designation (purple aft cabins are C1):

image.thumb.png.4ab6d1012f4d206e4593f12ee0b4e20e.png

Effective May 2022, there will be SV cabins:

image.thumb.png.ce6dcda99760ddb0b6cba4b0c113f6a1.png

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

When you Lift and Shift, you are transferred to a cabin of the same category.  There are some small exceptions to this general rule.

Currently there are 3 aft balcony cabins on Decks 7, 8, and 9 that are categorized as C1 cabins which are supposed to re-designated as SV cabins (deck plan below).  You will want one of these 9 cabins.  I typically advise people to stay away from Deck 9 though because it is directly beneath a public deck.

image.thumb.png.ce6dcda99760ddb0b6cba4b0c113f6a1.png

Thank you, that's really helpful. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, christybell said:

Thank you, that's really helpful. 

IF (big IF) they will allow it, see if you can press for any of the 12 aft FV cabins. There are two in each corner of decks 7, 8 and 9.  The far corners are the best, and the next inside of those almost as good.  Either are to be preferred above the aft C1s if you can snag one of them.

• Thanks 1

I am seriously upset w/Celebrity - not only b/c they cancelled our cruise but also b/c I had to find out here and not from them! Still haven't rcvd any official notification, altho we did go to their site and sure enough, our cruise wasn't listed any longer. Called them and requested the 100% refund, which will take several weeks, and up to a month, to process. This would have been our 1st cruise w/Celebrity, we usually sail w/Viking or Crystal. When those lines have any changes, even the most trivial, they immediately notify passengers. Don't think we'll ever book w/Celebrity again. So disappointed with the entire experience.

Very unhappy at the moment with Celebrity.  We paid for our April 9th Eclipse cruise in full and the April 16th payment was due on Friday, THE SAME DAY THEY CANCELLED ALL OF THE CRUISES.  However, the sales agent did accept my payment from our TA Friday morning. 😞  The refunds for both cruises had better be refunded before our charge card payment date or they will be protested with the charge card company.  I will not pay fees on over $20,000 in charges that need to be refunded.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

Very unhappy at the moment with Celebrity.  We paid for our April 9th Eclipse cruise in full and the April 16th payment was due on Friday, THE SAME DAY THEY CANCELLED ALL OF THE CRUISES.  However, the sales agent did accept my payment from our TA Friday morning. 😞  The refunds for both cruises had better be refunded before our charge card payment date or they will be protested with the charge card company.  I will not pay fees on over $20,000 in charges that need to be refunded.

You have every right to be unhappy.  I would be furious.  In my experience it has taken quite some time for refunds to come back when Celebrity cancelled our cruises.  Maybe that has changed recently.

6 minutes ago, Veinless said:

Is it even possible to book those if sailing as a couple?

We've done it many times, but we never requested those cabins except when school is universally in session and hence, demand for these cabins lower.  Our TA is a major X agency, and had a wink wink arrangement with X that made it possible in spite of the old 5 pax rule for these cabins.

23 minutes ago, Veinless said:

Is it even possible to book those if sailing as a couple?

When FV cabins for a given sailing are first made available, they require 5 passengers minimum to be booked.

As the actual sailing date draws nearer, the 5 passenger minimum requirement is completely dropped to fill any unsold FVs. There is no hard rule on when that happens. You just have to diligently check online every day if you're intent on getting one. Some people on Cruise Critic have managed to book two people in an FV as far out as one year in advance. 

2 hours ago, Phalgal said:

I am seriously upset w/Celebrity - not only b/c they cancelled our cruise but also b/c I had to find out here and not from them! Still haven't rcvd any official notification, altho we did go to their site and sure enough, our cruise wasn't listed any longer. Called them and requested the 100% refund, which will take several weeks, and up to a month, to process. This would have been our 1st cruise w/Celebrity, we usually sail w/Viking or Crystal. When those lines have any changes, even the most trivial, they immediately notify passengers. Don't think we'll ever book w/Celebrity again. So disappointed with the entire experience.

I'm sorry to hear your cruise was cancelled.

It is typical for Cruise Critic members to hear about a Celebrity cancellation thru this forum first because information travels at an uneven rate through the system.  It's one of the things that makes this forum so valuable. 

I had booked one of the last pre-Covid cancelled cruises (Jan 31 2020 Silhouette). Several months before we were scheduled to sail, we had a TA post on our roll call that the sailing had been cancelled because the dry dock date and location had changed. That was the first that anyone on the roll call had been alerted to it. When many of us called out TAs (or even Celebrity) to inquire, they had not heard the news.

Usually the reservation system is the first thing affected by an impending cancellation and there is always someone here that catches it and reports it on Cruise Critic. Sometimes it's a false alarm, sometimes it's not. 

Edited by mahdnc

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

When FV cabins for a given sailing are first made available, they require 5 passengers minimum to be booked.

As the actual sailing date draws nearer, the 5 passenger minimum requirement is completely dropped to fill any unsold FVs.

As noted above, t'aint necessarily so (with apologies to G. Gershwin).  There are ways to get around the delaying of booking provided you're not requesting in 'high' season.  

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

As noted above, t'aint necessarily so (with apologies to G. Gershwin).  There are ways to get around the delaying of booking provided you're not requesting in 'high' season.  

I didn't say that there weren't work arounds (with apologies to my English teachers).

Edited by mahdnc

3 hours ago, Phalgal said:

If you book with a TA the cancellation notice goes thru them.  If X cancells the notice usually takes a few days to go out.

You are dealing with a pandemic and some 1/3 of staff out with covid today.  Our local grocery was missing over half their employees. 

A bit of patience is needed today 

On 1/14/2022 at 11:12 AM, koolforkatz said:

Princess also cancelled three of its spring Coastals out of Vancouver yesterday including one of ours 😞 

Exactly why we are not cruising again until 2023, but even then who the hell knows!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, mahdnc said:

As the actual sailing date draws nearer, the 5 passenger minimum requirement is completely dropped to fill any unsold FVs. There is no hard rule on when that happens. You just have to diligently check online every day if you're intent on getting one. Some people on Cruise Critic have managed to book two people in an FV as far out as one year in advance. 

On 1/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, canderson said:

We've done it many times, but we never requested those cabins except when school is universally in session and hence, demand for these cabins lower.  Our TA is a major X agency, and had a wink wink arrangement with X that made it possible in spite of the old 5 pax rule for these cabins.

Great info! Thanks!

On 1/15/2022 at 8:15 AM, Phalgal said:

My cruise was canceled too so I understand your frustration.  All I can say is if you never sail Celebrity you are missing out. Their onboard experience is a hundred times better than their IT department!