Worried I won't be able to get a test

carribbound

17 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I just ordered our Binax Now Ag...am I correct that we should have no issues using our smartphones to conduct?  Do we need to download any specific app to video chat or is it zoom or something like that?  TIA

It's the Navica app, if I remember correctly, it's on the box.  I have heard people having trouble listening on their phones while also keeping their test flat on table in full view of the proctor.  I used my laptop.  Check youtube videos to watch how it is done.

1 minute ago, maureencruiser said:

Well, although that lot number is not on the Jan 2022 list, only the May 2021 list, the Abbott letter does say this.  "This letter is to notify you the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card, part number 195- 000, in your possession may now have a longer than labeled product expiry date. All BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Kits currently have a fifteen-month expiry date....For customers using the NAVICA app, an update to the NAVICA app will be implemented to recognize the extended expiry date....If you have further questions, please contact Abbott Technical Services at: • Telephone: 1 800 257 9525 • Email: ts.scr@abbott.com"

I have 4 kits and need 3 for 3-26. Guess I could call or use one mid-March to make sure the 15 month expiry applies. Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I just ordered our Binax Now Ag...am I correct that we should have no issues using our smartphones to conduct?  Do we need to download any specific app to video chat or is it zoom or something like that?  TIA

Some people had issues when their phone would automatically flip from front to back mode during proctored test. You login to Navica app to take test and are sent to eMed for the proctored test. We did 3 tests from our Miami hotel on Christmas Day with no issues. We did use a laptop, others have used phones. Test is easy, follow steps and results sent to your cell phone. I had to logout after each test and login in for minor son and wife after adding them as secondary users. 

Edited by mondello
Add
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 1:31 PM, nlktx49 said:

For our two previous cruises we went to a minor emergency clinic to get the rapid antigen tests. We didn't have pay for them,  as they were covered under Medicare.

If you order the proctored tests, does anyone know if Medicare will reimburse you for the cost? I'd like to have some of them on hand, as we have 4 more cruises this year, but they're kind of pricey. And I have no clue how to apply for a reimbursement from Medicare!

Medicare does not cover any self testing 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, famof4togo said:

How far out do they generally expire?  Meaning if I am cruising at the end of March am I safe to purchase today?  TIA

I ordered from Optum after they were back in stock 1/25, mine have an exp date of 1/1/23 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, famof4togo said:

Yes phone is fine. You do need an app; the information of wht to download is on the package.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 8:15 AM, runnersuzy said:

Medicare does not cover any self testing 

I'm hoping my medical savings account will cover the cost, with a receipt.  Looks like I am s.o.l. as far as local testing at CVS.  Things have changed for the worse since our October cruise.  😞  

On 1/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, Ilovesailaway said:

OP I would advise ordering tests from emed asap and expedite delivery if it's offered.

Go to youtube and watch videos of people taking the test. The proctor you have online may be difficult to understand and for me it was very helpful to have seen a couple videos before I had to test. I had Walgreens scheduled as a backup but not needed so I cancelled.

Just me but I would rather test before I traveled to the pier. With my luck I would pay for flights, hotel, ground transportation.... then not pass at the pier 😮

I would not want to deal with whatever that news would bring

There needs to be US based proctors without a thick accent no offense. When it comes to medical proccedures I have every right to be able to understand what is being said. I couod tell Carnival that it was difficult to understand the proctor's instructions .

This is why I go and do it in person for assistance with getting the swab inserted and broken. If you have a disability or its hard to understand the ptoctor one needs assistance.  I think the requirement of a proctor can go one of two ways.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, moonjelly said:

Hi all, I am posting to this topic to find it easily, as I want to keep updated as things develop and change. Thank you for all your replies to make this less stressful.

Let me update with some more recent info, then. 

I was able to book a rapid antigen test at a nearby CVS for next Tuesday (we sail Thursday).  When completing the screening questions on their website, you'll need to answer at least one of them with a "Yes" to qualify for a free test.  Happily, the first two questions are pretty easy to answer "Yes."  

Otherwise it is $139.00.

I also discovered that my FSA will cover the cost of at-home proctored tests.  

Although you can't use them for travel, I requested the four "free" home tests through the government's website on the first day "for delivery within ten days."   As of last check, they had not even been shipped.  😮  

I discovered this on CVS website. A couple of weeks ago they ask if the test was for travel. They have removed that question. You have to answer yes to one of the questions to get to an appointment. I said "yes" to the question that I would be in a setting in which I could not always social distance.

• Like 1

We sail on Monday which means we need to test tomorrow (Saturday) or on Sunday.

The on  line testing is not an option for us as we have recently been having bother power and internet outages due to local construction. Outages are not announced ahead of time and can occur anytime of day or night.

I managed to get test appointments at the closest CVS  that does the testing which is sixty miles from our home for tomorrow morning.

Because I believe that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, I also booked late afternoon appointments at Walgreens.

At 5:15 PM today, I received a call from the Walgreens that they will no longer will do tests on Saturday or Sunday and our appointments for tomorrow are cancelled.

Hopefully, CVS will have the tests and will do them tomorrow.

I am so stressed out about getting the tests that I have decided we will not be cruising again until the test requirement go away.

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The on  line testing is not an option for us as we have recently been having bother power and internet outages due to local construction. Outages are not announced ahead of time and can occur anytime of day or night.

I managed to get test appointments at the closest CVS  that does the testing which is sixty miles from our home for tomorrow morning.

Because I believe that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, I also booked late afternoon appointments at Walgreens.

At 5:15 PM today, I received a call from the Walgreens that they will no longer will do tests on Saturday or Sunday and our appointments for tomorrow are cancelled.

I am so stressed out about getting the tests that I have decided we will not be cruising again until the test requirement go away.

Check for COVID testing at whatever airport you are closest to.  

30 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Check out some urgent care places near you. That worked for us.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I had issues with the App on a Samsung phone right after the initial upgrade to Android 12, but later updates fixed that.

Lol, as soon as I read that, I immediately checked both our phones!(Including pulling his out of his hand!) Whew, we've got the latest version of 12s updates.

😁Yeah yeah I'm the Worrying Wife, my beloved Hubs is Mr Calm. Ying Yang ☯️... It's worked for over 33yrs tho.

2 minutes ago, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

Lol, as soon as I read that, I immediately checked both our phones!(Including pulling his out of his hand!) Whew, we've got the latest version of 12s updates.

😁Yeah yeah I'm the Worrying Wife, my beloved Hubs is Mr Calm. Ying Yang ☯️... It's worked for over 33yrs tho.

If your phone is like mine, a couple of months ago a lot of apps stopped working.  I still don't think Facebook and some others are working properly, but I will get the s22 ultra the end of the month.  Then I'll find out what doesn't work on it.