Arcadia being sold?

Port out

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Aurora’s balconies.
B deck ones are bigger and with a better vista, but A and C deck ones are perfectly acceptable. I would agree that they are not as big as some of Azura’s balconies tho!

The modern design of cruise ship tend to have balconies with a glass front.  The hull cut-out type seem to have fallen into no longer a design feature. 

Regards John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

It's the same class of ship as QE, no way is Cunard selling her. Anyway I thought Phil Green sold it to his mate for a quid years ago.

It is not surprising that Arcadia is very similar to Cunard's Queen Elizabeth.  Arcadia was originally built to become a Cunard ship; Queen Victoria but it was decided that Cunard would wait and have a later build. In this respect Queen Victoria was built slightly larger. They could always transfer Arcadia to Cunard and refit.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

The balcony we had on Aurora was metal fronted with two iron railings above it, not the glass fronted type we've had on Arcadia, and it felt quite cramped. Don't always book balconies as quite happy with an inside depending on the length and destination of cruise as we mostly get showered/changed and sleep in them and spend the majority of our time out and about or sat on deck . I am aware there are differing types pf balcony on Aurora but this was what we got on that particular cruise

That’s odd. As can be seen on the photos earlier in the thread, whilst the balcony cabins on A and C deck are cut out of the hull, they still have glass fronts. Perhaps a couple at the aft or front are different for some reason? 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We’ve only been on one cruise on Arcadia and we had a suite which was lovely (if a bit dated), although having been on all the P&O ships (other than Iona, which we will rectify next year), it was our least favourite ship.

When we did a ships tour prior to booking that cruise it seemed as though the accessible balcony cabins were all at the point where the recessed section along the side of the ship starts or finishes, resulting in odd shaped angled balconies with poor outlooks from within the cabin. By contrast, having stayed in pretty much all the accessible balcony cabins on Aurora we have been very happy with the outlook from all of them and, being very wide, the part enclosed ends suited us for privacy and shelter (as others have said). Did we miss something on Arcadia?

Our only cruise on Arcadia was before Pauline's stroke, so I was thinking about AB passengers. I totally agree that there appear to be no accessible cabins on Arcadia that compare well with the other ships in the fleet.

I do hope too that shes not being sold off as I also have a cruise booked on her in 2023 !!!!!!!!!

Whilst not my favourite ship in the fleet, this 2023 cruise will be my second time on board 

Somebody said "Everything has its price, and if somebody makes a good enough offer......."

On 1/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, Port out said:

Currently on Iona and have heard a lot of talk amongst the crew, not officers, that following the first of Arcadia's cruises this year being cancelled, that the boys who were due to join her now have had their joining removed. Also suggestions that boys currently on Arcadia will be shipped over to the Iona. Guess the worry for a lot of us with forward bookings on Arcadia that the ship is being sold. I believe P&O are still taking bookings but the same occurred when the Oceana was sold. Anyone with a feel with what is happening

I hope the rumours going around are not true of Arcadia and even Aurora. We have a cruise booked on both ships for 2023...Aurora in January and Arcadia for Xmas. By booking these cruises in good faith, I am showing my support for P&O, but not sure this is a 2 way street. It also means I am prevented from booking another cruise early to get favourable prices. We would be very miffed if we are not given enough notice to change our plans....

On 1/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, gsmt47471015 said:

The balcony we had on Aurora was metal fronted with two iron railings above it, not the glass fronted type we've had on Arcadia, and it felt quite cramped. Don't always book balconies as quite happy with an inside depending on the length and destination of cruise as we mostly get showered/changed and sleep in them and spend the majority of our time out and about or sat on deck . I am aware there are differing types pf balcony on Aurora but this was what we got on that particular cruise

We had a metal fronted balcony with two irons railings but we were on oceana🤣

1 hour ago, delgirl said:

Ocean Princess later known as Oceana sailing with P&O UK is now called Queen of the Oceans. Like all the Sun class ships they have generally been removed from Carnival Corporation fleets.  I think this is because they are dated. One of the reasons I believe is the lack of glass fronted balconies.

Regards John

• Like 1

I would be very disappointed as I have just booked for my 60th birthday I could have gone on any ship in the world and had to choose one that maybe sold 

having not being able to get my 40th birthday cruise and 50th birthday cruise I suspect I may have jinxed the cruise  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Electra 7 said:

I would be very disappointed as I have just booked for my 60th birthday I could have gone on any ship in the world and had to choose one that maybe sold 

having not being able to get my 40th birthday cruise and 50th birthday cruise I suspect I may have jinxed the cruise  

Me too - Arcadia -  booked 2020 Christmas and then moved to Christmas 2021 - which was then cancelled - so trying again Christmas 2022 . Last try then I’ll give up !

4 hours ago, delgirl said:

Well i have to own up to my mistake ,just back checked some old photos and realised that it was indeed Qceana we were on with the old style balconies!!!!!!  Suspect that age is starting to catch up with me, at this rate I daren't move house or I wont know where to return to🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Ocean Princess later known as Oceana sailing with P&O UK is now called Queen of the Oceans. Like all the Sun class ships they have generally been removed from Carnival Corporation fleets.  I think this is because they are dated. One of the reasons I believe is the lack of glass fronted balconies.

Regards John

I loved those balconies as I sussed out that I could have my feet on the bar at the end of the balcony and then at the end of the balcony area (inside by my chair) there was a nice little ledge for my glass of wine ....

Sadly can't put my feet up on a glass balcony and no where for the wine glass

We do miss Oceana --- old and dated yes, but many of us are and still love her 😞

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I loved those balconies as I sussed out that I could have my feet on the bar at the end of the balcony and then at the end of the balcony area (inside by my chair) there was a nice little ledge for my glass of wine ....

Sadly can't put my feet up on a glass balcony and no where for the wine glass

We do miss Oceana --- old and dated yes, but many of us are and still love her 😞

I agree wholeheartedly. Oceana was my favourite P&O ship, followed by Oriana. Never sailed on the present Arcadia and never took to Aurora; always seemed like a second class Oriana!

Just now, Denarius said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Oceana was my favourite P&O ship, followed by Oriana. Never sailed on the present Arcadia and never took to Aurora; always seemed like a second class Oriana!

Our first PO cruise on Oceana and our first proper cruise experience. Band on the quay side, champagne fountain (YES it happened on Oceana), first ever formal nights, silver service, first sailaways and the love it or hate it Great British Sailaway, ...... it was just magical and am guessing it will always have a very special place in our hearts and memories

(That sounds really soppy but true)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Strange howwe all have different thoughts about the ships isn't it. Loved Adonia and Oceana. Love Arcadia and Aurora, however we couldn't seem to take to Oriana, although I wouldn't say she seemed like second class ship to Aurora because we couldn't take to her.

Avril

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Me too - Arcadia -  booked 2020 Christmas and then moved to Christmas 2021 - which was then cancelled - so trying again Christmas 2022 . Last try then I’ll give up !

We're on Arcadia in March.

Given the current uncertainty in the cruising market,  I can't see there being much of a market for "elderly" ships such as Arcadia.  Hopefully your Christmas cruise will go ahead.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

We're on Arcadia in March.

Given the current uncertainty in the cruising market,  I can't see there being much of a market for "elderly" ships such as Arcadia.  Hopefully your Christmas cruise will go ahead.

Thanks wowzz

9 hours ago, Denarius said:

We liked Oriana - lovely dining room with individual lights on each table - if I am remembering the right ship ! Seem to remember a lot of vibration in the dining room as well - which we didn’t mind somehow.

paul

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Denarius said:

I know what you mean. Our first cruise was on Oriana in 1996 so she holds a special place in our hearts. However, once my wife became a wheelchair user we had to stop using her as she was poorly equipped for disabled passengers. Conversely, Aurora has 8 accessible balcony cabins (we’ve used most of them!) so became our favourite once Oriana was sold. Our best cruises have been on Aurora, but we really miss the top notch Select Dining restaurants that she lacks. Oriana Rhodes was one of our favourites and our current favourite is Epicurean on Britannia. We don’t like Sindhu on Aurora as it’s too noisy being open to the atrium / coffee shop.

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

We liked Oriana - lovely dining room with individual lights on each table - if I am remembering the right ship ! Seem to remember a lot of vibration in the dining room as well - which we didn’t mind somehow.

paul

A little story about the vibration on Oriana. When she was launched in 1995 this was identified as a major problem, so much so that she was taken out of service a year later to have new propellers fitted (or heavy modifications, I can’t recall now) to resolve it. Anyway, we were on the first cruise to depart after these modifications. At dinner the first evening, the Captain announced that he was going to take the ship up to full speed to test the quality of the repair. A short time later everything  in the dining room started vibrating, cutlery, crockery etc. The Captain quickly eased back and things returned to normal. At that point I think they gave up and Oriana had that ‘characteristic’ for the rest of her life. However, cruising at around 25 knots or more was still pretty much the norm with her, which is a relative sprint compared to the more sedate (fuel saving) speeds of modern ships!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1