TRAVEL.GC.CA Website Update - January 20th!

K_e_short

18 minutes ago, edrussell said:

We are onboard Enchantment right now and our plan would be to take a run at the border should we test positive.  Unsure if that is wise or not, but we will see.  Really hoping it doesn't come to that.  We drove and our truck is parked at the cruise terminal.  We have enough fuel and have food so we technically can load our luggage into the truck and not interact with a single person until we hit the land crossing.

What do you mean "take a run at the border"?

According to the new rules, the only way to come into Canada with a positive test under 11 days prior is to pay the $5000 fine plus surcharges.  

7 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

What do you mean "take a run at the border"?

According to the new rules, the only way to come into Canada with a positive test under 11 days prior is to pay the $5000 fine plus surcharges.  

What I mean is if we happen to test positive we will attempt to cross via the land crossing.

Edited by edrussell
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, LuCruise said:

Thanks OP.  Am watching this very closely as we were hoping to drive across for our March cruise but yet, another holiday that we most likely won't make.  Sadly, I don't see this changing any time "soon" as our government really doesn't want us to travel (and doesn't care about our mental health)....but not sure what "soon" entails.  Personally I think it's a low blow that they have added this clause as it's been proven that travel isn't the source of our cases these days.

Oh, you must have missed it. The Feds created an App to fix mental health issues. Probably created by the developers of that contact tracing app that went no where. Some nice southern sun will definately fix my mental health issues, not some half baked app. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, edrussell said:

What I mean is if we happen to test positive we will attempt to cross via the land crossing.

If you are Canadian citizens or permanent residents etc. you will be able to cross. It might cost around CA$6,500 per person in the party. But you will be allowed in. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#entry-vaccinated

Thanks broberts, I have that information.  The big question is the 'you may be' of the information out there.  No real indication on how strict they will be about it.  There is someone that mentioned friends of theirs are crossing after testing positive in Vegas.  We are gamblers by nature and will roll the dice so to speak should it come down to it.

1 minute ago, edrussell said:

Thanks broberts, I have that information.  The big question is the 'you may be' of the information out there.  No real indication on how strict they will be about it.  There is someone that mentioned friends of theirs are crossing after testing positive in Vegas.  We are gamblers by nature and will roll the dice so to speak should it come down to it.

Either way you test (and I hope you are negative) please report back on your experience at the border. Hope you are enjoying your cruise - good to get it in while Royal will still foot the bill for the PCR test and possibly quarantine if needed. 

Edited by JillK

39 minutes ago, JillK said:

Either way you test (and I hope you are negative) please report back on your experience at the border. Hope you are enjoying your cruise - good to get it in while Royal will still foot the bill for the PCR test and possibly quarantine if needed. 

I will detail the process.  I think we will be on our own if we test positive.  I bought the Manu life policy to cover our a$$es if that happens.  We will test ourselves on the last night with the tests we brought to ease our minds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

I will add that for the first time ever, I really feel that it sucks to be Canadian.

I have a friend who lived through the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland before emigrating to Canada. He said being a Northern Irishman back then sucked too. But I kind of think that compared to that, our current "Troubles" are pretty minuscule. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, edrussell said:

I don't think 'you may be' is in the current wording.

"Positive results on your pre-entry test

A positive pre-entry test result within 72 hours of your planned entry is not a valid test result for entry to Canada.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result."

13 hours ago, edrussell said:

We are onboard Enchantment right now and our plan would be to take a run at the border should we test positive.  Unsure if that is wise or not, but we will see.  Really hoping it doesn't come to that.  We drove and our truck is parked at the cruise terminal.  We have enough fuel and have food so we technically can load our luggage into the truck and not interact with a single person until we hit the land crossing.

Good luck with that... your truck must have a huge gas tank to get you from FLA to Ontario without stopping for a full up!

38 minutes ago, hancogran said:

Enchantment sails from Baltimore. 🙂

6 hours to Niagara and you can pay at the pump and get drive through food. The drive is the easiest/safest part of the trip. Remaining Covid negative on the cruise is probably the harder part. 

• Like 1

The French wording still mentions 'might be'.

"on ne vous refusera pas l’entrée au pays à une frontière terrestre, mais vous pourriez devoir payer une amende de 5 000 $ par voyageur (en plus des suppléments)."

I read that a few people crossed the border after a cruise and were positive and were not fined.  If you have a quarantine plan in you ArriveCan app, they will give you 2 PCR test to be used the day after and on the 8th day. The crossing was from US to Quebec.

It' really up to the border agent if he wants to give you a fine or not.  I am waiting to see if people were fined, so far didn't hear anything.

15 minutes ago, julie1963 said:

"on ne vous refusera pas l’entrée au pays à une frontière terrestre, mais vous pourriez devoir payer une amende de 5 000 $ par voyageur (en plus des suppléments)."

I read that a few people crossed the border after a cruise and were positive and were not fined.  If you have a quarantine plan in you ArriveCan app, they will give you 2 PCR test to be used the day after and on the 8th day. The crossing was from US to Quebec.

It' really up to the border agent if he wants to give you a fine or not.  I am waiting to see if people were fined, so far didn't hear anything.

It really depends from where you get the information from the Canadian government site, I did the same behavior using the English site and I got the following:

Based on your answers, you won’t be turned away at the land border, but you may be fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges).

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

18 minutes ago, julie1963 said:

My understanding is the ArriveCan App can't be completed to the quarantine plan stage if you can't check the box "tested Negative" or "tested positive more than 11 days ago".  By not being able to complete the app and get a receipt you run into issues at the border.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:00 PM, edrussell said:

The ArriveCan app is essential to your crossing the border without a hitch. I’ve no idea how people manage who don’t have data on their phones, or no phone at all. 

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

The ArriveCan app is essential to your crossing the border without a hitch. I’ve no idea how people manage who don’t have data on their phones, or no phone at all. 

There is an online version. So any internet connected PC can be used.

Leaving on a med. cruise from Montreal/Rome/Rome/Montreal next August 2022.  Concerning proof of vaccination passport - my Canadian passport shows my maiden and married name.  My vax passport only shows my maiden name.  I wonder if anyone had problems going through customs or even getting on the cruise ship? 

3 minutes ago, travelbug1025 said:

Leaving on a med. cruise from Montreal/Rome/Rome/Montreal next August 2022.  Concerning proof of vaccination passport - my Canadian passport shows my maiden and married name.  My vax passport only shows my maiden name.  I wonder if anyone had problems going through customs or even getting on the cruise ship? 

I had the maiden name issue when I did my honeymoon cruise.  
We brought our marriage certificate as proof.   In this case I would bring birth certificate and marriage certificate.  And I would check with cruise line. 

2 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I had the maiden name issue when I did my honeymoon cruise.  
We brought our marriage certificate as proof.   In this case I would bring birth certificate and marriage certificate.  And I would check with cruise line. 

I plan to bring as much paper work as I can.  Was your issue resolved with all your paper work?

Did you have problems with customs and/or the cruise line?

1 minute ago, travelbug1025 said:

I plan to bring as much paper work as I can.  Was your issue resolved with all your paper work?

Did you have problems with customs and/or the cruise line?

I didn't have an issue. 

Just now, travelbug1025 said:

Excellent, I will forage for my wedding certificate (46+ marriage) and birth certificate.

Thank you.  Hope you had a wonderful cruise.

Sorry.  To be clear this was pre-covid. I meant boarding the ship/customs. 

33 minutes ago, travelbug1025 said:

Here are two threads you might want to read, one dealing specifically with your situation and the other touching on it.