Feb. 2, 2022 Koningsdam Live Cruise Report, San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego

22 hours ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

Just want to share that the Captain, during his 12 pm update, mentioned that the Koningsdam is doing very well in terms of COVID this cruise.  There are still consistent reminders to wear a mask over mouth and nose, and to wash hands frequently.  But it was nice to have the reassurance that things are going well this time.

Good to Know 🙂  I will be onboard Sunday 

Just now, dchip said:

@Newly Retired TeachersDo you remember when you were able to drop off your luggage at the pier? Our check in time is 3pm. Hotel check out at 11, if I can’t arrange late check out.

Thanks for your help and taking us on your cruise!! See you in October. 
Denise 

Our check-in time was 2:20, but the terminal building was so empty when we arrived.  I sounds like they are not going to be testing everyone at the pier.  If that's the case, you shouldn't have a problem arriving early.  I've heard from many passengers currently onboard who arrived early.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:23 PM, DAllenTCY said:

On the 27th testing will be required for all of those boarding the Zuiderdam, but not the Koningsdam.

David

David - do you know if we can drop luggage at the pier before our assigned boarding time and if so, how early can we do that?  (for the 2-27 Zuiderdam cruise)

Thanks as always for your help!

• Like 1

DH and I tested negative today so will be able to do the 7 day Mexico cruise.  

Tomorrow I will post photos of road to Hana on Maui. (I need phone service to download pictures to 

my lap top.)

I also have a few other photos to share of around the ship for those interested in testing, flowers, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

Our check-in time was 2:20, but the terminal building was so empty when we arrived.  I sounds like they are not going to be testing everyone at the pier.  If that's the case, you shouldn't have a problem arriving early.  I've heard from many passengers currently onboard who arrived early.

Thanks so much for all the info. We are staying at the Wyndham, so we only have to walk across street.

Howie and I have been in self imposed lockdown since the beginning of February after we had negative PCR tests. 5 family members who haven’t been around each other, have all tested positive with the past three weeks!!! I can’t wait to get the testing over with! 

• Thanks 1

On the 27th the Koningsdam and Zuiderdam will both be docked at B. Street. 

Normally, you could drop luggage off at about 10:30 am; however, the porters will all be tied up until at least 11 assisting those guests who are disembarking because there is a shortage of longshoremen/women just as there is a labor shortage most places.  

Also, they will need to keep the arriving luggage for each ship separated.....which sounds easy but is not...the tags you print are all white.  When there are dual ships here, the luggage for the ship on the south side will be collected closer to it.  Keep that in mind.

Remember that 1/2 of the porters go to lunch at 11:15 or so and the others about noon.  Dropping off you luggage early is not especially helpful.  Most of those bags are stored in cages until luggage screening starts at 1 pm.  Often, the first bags to arrive are among the last loaded onboard at this terminal.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

There was a wedding at 11:00 on the Koningsdam when we departed.  I think it may have delayed others getting on as well as baggage handling.  Also fewer people embarking this time so hopefully it will go smoother than 18 days ago which was the slowest I've ever seen.  (We arrived at 12:00 and they did take bags then). But it was well past 1:00 when we got on the ship even as a 5 star mariner.   But that also included Covid testing.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, zelker said:

Always a beautiful drive - but just so nobody who might see this gets confused, the Road to Hana is on Maui, not Kauai. 

Yes, thank you, this is the road to Hana out of Kahului, Maui.

And here are a few more photos on our way back from Hana:

What looks like large rocks in and near the sand, are actually turtles.....many turtles!

Surfers are in the waves at top of photo.

Surfers and Moloki.jpgMore surfers, waiting for the big wave......Molokai in distance.

Whales were also blowing, but not in this photo.

Hana late.JPG

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The flower arrangement in the last photo (with captain) were made during a flower arrangement demonstration.  Here is how it went together:

F1.jpg

1.  the right flowers

F2.jpg

2. a tall vase and a small piece of wet oasis and ten minutes

F3.jpg

Voila!

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 7

On 2/20/2022 at 12:41 PM, sansterre said:

Yes, thank you, this is the road to Hana out of Kahului, Maui.

And here are a few more photos on our way back from Hana:

turtles.MOV 1.03 MB · 0 downloads

What looks like large rocks in and near the sand, are actually turtles.....many turtles!

Surfers are in the waves at top of photo.

Surfers and Moloki.jpgMore surfers, waiting for the big wave......Molokai in distance.

Whales were also blowing, but not in this photo.

Hana late.JPG

Beautiful, wish I was there!  

• Like 1