Viking Air without Plus

sissy2000

I would like to hear from someone who has used Viking Air without using the Plus feature.  Were you happy with the tickets you got?  We have requested first class--do they guarantee we can get that?  What happens if they can't?   We have put Plus on but just wondered about whether we really need it or not.

I have not used Viking plus, nor intend to.

As for "happy with the tickets" - past experience is no measure of what you might get in the future.  It is completely dependent on the contracts in place between the carriers and the cruiseline - contract information that is a company "trade secret" and which is not divulged to customers.  Also not divulged to travel agents.  And past contracts are no guarantee of what is currently, or in the future, available for customers.

As for "first class" - you don't mention your origin and destination, so this is generic.  You will find very little "first class" service for intercontinental flights.  Most carriers have dropped the first class service, now having business class as their top level of ticket.  There still are a few with F, but expect a VERY hefty premium over coach, and also over business.  For example, you can still fly F between LAX and HKG.  The ticket price is over $10k, with business in the $5000 range and coach under a thousand.

As for guaranteeing first class - I doubt it.  And if they can't, you get what they offer.

If you post your routing you will get more accurate responses and more information.

We did use Viking Air (without Plus) for a last minute booking in August for a Bermuda cruise.  We both have status on AA and Admirals Club membership so that is our preferred carrier. Free Main Cabin Extra seats and free bags on AA.

We took our chances and it was okay. Not great but it was okay.

It was free and fares were running around $2K per person so we sucked it up. Okay---actually there was a fair amount of whining and misery.

Had AA  flights Chicago to Bermuda, so used Admirals Club in Chicago and upgraded to Business. All good.

Coming home was not so hot. Late afternoon flight on United via Newark. 

We had to be out of cabin at 8 AM and cool our heels on board until 11 AM transfer to airport. Then waited several hours to board with no lounge. Newark was not great, and because we were on United had to pay for bags and to get decent seats. 

I won't do Viking Air again, even with Plus. I don't like (actually hate) not having full control over our air arrangements.

We have AA status and always fly First/Business, utilize the lounge and have free bags.

Depends on how picky you are about controlling your routing and carrier. 

We absolutely loathe using Viking Air and it would have to be a very substantial savings to make us do it again. 

Edit--some folks use the air for the 'free' transfers. That may be part of the equation for some who are not comfortable arranging their own transfers.

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 1

We used basic Viking Air for our cruise in August.  We were flying coach and really had no requirements.  It was nice not having to worry about finding flights, etc.  Usually I am a control freak about my flights and travel schedule, and this time I just let happen what would happen.  It all worked out and our flights were great.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sissy2000 said:

I would like to hear from someone who has used Viking Air without using the Plus feature.  Were you happy with the tickets you got?  We have requested first class--do they guarantee we can get that?  What happens if they can't?   We have put Plus on but just wondered about whether we really need it or not.

Those who don't pay for AirPlus have flights assigned some where between 70 and 90 days before departure. They get whatever hasn't already been chosen by AirPlus passengers. This could mean, multiple stops instead of a non-stop, first or last flights out, long layovers and other horrors. 

Paying the $50pp fee means being able to choose your flights (from what is being offered, not whatever flights you want) when the airlines open seats for booking (around 300 days before the return flight). Considering that there are so many fewer 1st/business class seats available per flight, there is even more incentive to pay the extra for AirPlus.

• Like 3

We have always used the Air Plus so that we can have input into the selection of our flights. When flights become available for booking, I browse expedia and find my preferred option. American Airlines and British Airways regularly have our best choices from either Baltimore or Philidelphia, which are our two closest airports. Then I call Viking Air, and so far have always been able to get my first choice of flights. I imagine there is some good fortune in the contractual arrangements between Viking and the airlines fitting our particular situation.

When we are paying $1000+ for our flights (even in our economy seats) and many times that for the cruise itself, why would I worry about the $50 or so for Air Plus?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Paying the $50pp fee means being able to choose your flights (from what is being offered, not whatever flights you want) when the airlines open seats for booking (around 300 days before the return flight). 

Yes, you get to "choose" your flights.  That does NOT mean that you will get those flights, as you are merely selecting them at the opening of the booking period.  As noted in other threads, Viking or any other cruiseline can, and does, change those "selections" to fit their needs.  You are not ticketed.

Perhaps you have been lucky.  Others have not been.

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Considering that there are so many fewer 1st/business class seats available per flight, there is even more incentive to pay the extra for AirPlus.

There is even more incentive NOT to use AirPlus, but rather to book the business class tickets yourself.  That way, you are actually ticketed on the flight - not just a request for that flight.

Remember - it's all a function of the negotiated contract between the airline and the cruiseline.  And none of the pasengers, nor their travel agents, know those contractual details.

10 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

I browse expedia and find my preferred option.

I hope you are aware of the various pitfalls and gotchas with third-party online travel agencies.  Even for research purposes.  Far better to utilize the airline websites directly, or a comprehensive tool such as ITA Matrix.

21 hours ago, sissy2000 said:

We used the “free”’air for our relatively last minute and therefore unbudgeted Far East Discovery cruise. We were already in Japan ( and Viking was unwilling to pay to fly us from Japan to China $150 fare, they would however have flown us from Seattle to China and Hong Kong back to Seattle $1200 crazy but I digress) so only needed airfare back to the US. We usually pay for AirPlus and considered it that time, but the only nonstop was on Cathay Pacific and was significantly more expensive than routings with stops, so we we determined it was unlikely Viking would book us on the nonstop. Therefore we elected to not pay for “plus”.

We were pleasantly surprised when we got our flight info and we were on the Cathay nonstop!  We purchased exit row seats and it turned out that while no and PE were packed, econ was only 50% full so I ended up with two seats and MIke had 1.5 all with endless legroom. We felt like we won the lottery!. 

Obviously your mileage will vary and we rarely book Viking Air but do seriously consider it when it’s “free”. 

• Like 1

The key issue is the contract between airline and cruise line.  As an example, a number of years ago we did a Princess cruise Vancouver to Los Angeles.  We only had to fly one way as we “cruised home”.  The unbelievable aspect was that Air Canada LAX to Vancouver was $39!  We spent more on Uber to get to the airport.

I’m certain that there was some sort of tourist bureau arrangement to support this low fare.  We were flying in a few days early to explore on our own and that might have also triggered low fare with the AI recognizing that we would spend hotel dollars as well.

no one ever knows the perks, promotions and bonuses that go into pricing schemes.  This was also in September ten days booking prior to cruise and I wonder if The cruise line had reached a threshold with the airline such that if a certain number of empty seats were available, then seats essentially free to cruise line.

Just now, PasadenaDave said:

The key issue is the contract between airline and cruise line.  As an example, a number of years ago we did a Princess cruise Vancouver to Los Angeles.  We only had to fly one way as we “cruised home”.  The unbelievable aspect was that Air Canada LAX to Vancouver was $39!  We spent more on Uber to get to the airport.

I’m certain that there was some sort of tourist bureau arrangement to support this low fare.  We were flying in a few days early to explore on our own and that might have also triggered low fare with the AI recognizing that we would spend hotel dollars as well.

no one ever knows the perks, promotions and bonuses that go into pricing schemes.  This was also in September ten days booking prior to cruise and I wonder if The cruise line had reached a threshold with the airline such that if a certain number of empty seats were available, then seats essentially free to cruise line.

After our Viking transatlantic turned around halfway to Barcelona to return to Miami (damn you Covid!) Viking procured our flights home to RDU.  Based on the points we recieved, they paid about $35 for a ticket that we had been ready to purchase for $79. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, broker1217 said:

If you post your routing you will get more accurate responses and more information.

We did use Viking Air (without Plus) for a last minute booking in August for a Bermuda cruise.  We both have status on AA and Admirals Club membership so that is our preferred carrier. Free Main Cabin Extra seats and free bags on AA.

We took our chances and it was okay. Not great but it was okay.

It was free and fares were running around $2K per person so we sucked it up. Okay---actually there was a fair amount of whining and misery.

Had AA  flights Chicago to Bermuda, so used Admirals Club in Chicago and upgraded to Business. All good.

Coming home was not so hot. Late afternoon flight on United via Newark. 

We had to be out of cabin at 8 AM and cool our heels on board until 11 AM transfer to airport. Then waited several hours to board with no lounge. Newark was not great, and because we were on United had to pay for bags and to get decent seats. 

I won't do Viking Air again, even with Plus. I don't like (actually hate) not having full control over our air arrangements.

We have AA status and always fly First/Business, utilize the lounge and have free bags.

Depends on how picky you are about controlling your routing and carrier. 

We absolutely loathe using Viking Air and it would have to be a very substantial savings to make us do it again. 

Edit--some folks use the air for the 'free' transfers. That may be part of the equation for some who are not comfortable arranging their own transfers.

Actually, your situation sounds very  much like ours.  We have AA status, Admirals Club memership and nearly always fly American.  My hesitation is in cancellation.  Should we decide to cancel,

our tickets would be nonrefundable if we purchase them ourselves.  With Viking they are (I think) refundable up till about 120 days out.   I can actually get tickets slightly cheaper than Viking right now, but am wrestling with the cancellation thing.  We, too, like to have control over our travel arrangements.  Thanks for your observations.

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I hope you are aware of the various pitfalls and gotchas with third-party online travel agencies.  Even for research purposes.  Far better to utilize the airline websites directly, or a comprehensive tool such as ITA Matrix.

Since I am just looking at expedia for flight options and not for booking, I don't know what the pitfalls are. Can you offer a short summary, please?

4 hours ago, sissy2000 said:

but am wrestling with the cancellation thing

It is one reason that I consider booking flights through Viking these days.  When the pandemic cancelled our summer, 2020 plans, I was stuck with two tickets to Iceland and having to deal with them. Fortunately, I waited for the airline to cancel my flights but I was still holding onto vouchers with very limited use (Iceland or bust!). Not fun.

We booked our April, 2021 flights for Hong Kong - Tokyo through Viking. We did not want to be stuck with vouchers for a destination that we would not be able to reschedule for a few years -- nor did we want to find that the airline we had booked on our own had cancelled our flights and could not get us to our destination in a timely manner. When Viking cancelled the cruise, all we said was, "We want a cash refund please" and everything including our flights was taken care of.

On the other hand, I had no qualms booking my own flights for our last cruise because even if Viking cancelled, we would have made the trip to L.A. to see our son.

Now looking forward to our next Viking adventure, Nile River with the Jordan extension, I have a few months before I have to decide Viking or DIY.  Lots of things to consider with this one and I am carefully listening to what people are saying before I decide what I think will best meet our needs.

31 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

but I was still holding onto vouchers with very limited use (Iceland or bust!). Not fun.

The only scenario I can envision is an Icelandair flight, where the value of the ticket would only get you to Reykjavik.  But even in that case, you should have gotten a voucher that could be used for any itinerary on that carrier.  If your ticket price was more than the voucher, you'd have to make up the difference.  But you should NOT have been limited to only into KEF.  Further, if the airline cancels, you should have gotten your cash back.  

33 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

We booked our April, 2021 flights for Hong Kong - Tokyo through Viking. We did not want to be stuck with vouchers for a destination that we would not be able to reschedule for a few years -- nor did we want to find that the airline we had booked on our own had cancelled our flights and could not get us to our destination in a timely manner.

Again, you would not get vouchers good to just one destination.  Someone gave you very incorrect information, and you were operating under bad assumptions.

36 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Now looking forward to our next Viking adventure, Nile River with the Jordan extension, I have a few months before I have to decide Viking or DIY.  Lots of things to consider with this one and I am carefully listening to what people are saying before I decide what I think will best meet our needs.

Best thing is to not make assumptions.  Go to the actual airline website.  Read what their cancellation/rebooking policies are.  For most all carriers, if you cancel, you will get a voucher good for that dollar amount - not for that itinerary.  But you need to do your research and find what the specifics are for YOUR planned trip.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Again, you would not get vouchers good to just one destination.  Someone gave you very incorrect information, and you were operating under bad assumptions.

You are right.  It does seem that I said 'one destination' but where we were actually going has very little to do with the point I was making.

I was saying that I did not want any airline vouchers at all should the trip be cancelled. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear and I'm glad to have the opportunity to clarify my thoughts. I'd been stuck with vouchers once and did want to be stuck with the hassle again regardless of what airline. For whatever reasons I came to that decision (and there were many), that was my goal. No more vouchers.

From there, the decision was simple. If I had booked on my own flights, refundable tickets not an option, no matter what the airline or their policies, I would end up with large $$ vouchers if the cruise were cancelled (and, at that point in time, there was still a very good chance that it would be). Therefore, in spite of any possible trade-offs (none of which could be more intolerable than being stuck with vouchers) we booked our flights through Viking, letting Viking assume all the risks in the event of cancellation.

I chose what was right for me at the time based on my situation and my situation alone -- and that was the point of what I wrote: there is no "one size fits all" option to most of the decisions that we have to make as travelers.

• Like 3

I agree that vouchers, especially large $$, may not work for some people. Or vouchers on certain airlines that limit your destination choices.

If you do utilize Viking Air, be sure to check your booking weekly until it is ticketed. There is no automated notification from Viking if they change your airline or flights. And until it is ticketed---you can't sign up for automatic change notifications from the airline. You can not get on an upgrade list until it is ticketed, nor can you use your status to upgrade your seats. 

We paid extra for Air Plus, got 'bookings' on our preferred flights. We could not get on the upgrade list or get Main Cabin Extra seats because it was not ticketed.

Then Viking changed our flights to different airline and flight times without notification. When I called to change it back to original routing, they wanted to charge me to change it back PLUS a per person fee for higher flight cost. For this I paid $50 per person extra, lol.

No benefit to us for using Viking Air, but we can always use a voucher. 

We are 1st time Viking cruisers and we used the basic Viking Air for our tickets from Toronto to San Juan with return from Barcelona. I called the number for Viking Air a couple of days after booking the cruise and before they established an air itinerary and talked to a capable lady who took some of my info and realized it would be necessary for them to arrange a 'forced layover' to get us to San Juan within the acceptable window prior to embarkation....so they picked up the overnight hotel for us in San Juan.....a few hours later they sent me an air itinerary that was a pretty bad routing, however, in the Air section of MVJ there is a feature to allow you to explore alternative routings.....I gave that a try and was presented with several options and was able to change my routing to something pretty good with no extra charge.....so far I am impressed with how the air booking process has gone with the basic Viking Air.....I hope you will be too....:-)

• Like 4

We very much dislike Viking Air and Viking Air Plus.  Nothing but problems.

However, in these COVID times, it really is similar to buying insurance, as if a cruise gets changed. or cancelled, you don't have to worry or hassle as much over the change and money of flights.

It is painful to accept Viking Air but we made the financial decision to do so.

When things calm down, we will never do Viking Air again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elizpeace said:

Curious if I have to have Plus in order to upgrade my seats? Can I do this on my own after I have my flights from Viking, or do I need to have Plus to do this?

TIA!

While we had plus when we upgraded our seats, the only role plus played was helping getting us be booked on  AA as we had status there that then allowed us to upgrade (with certificates on domestic portions and points +$ on the international long haul). 

However, others have reported elsewhere on this board that they have not been able to upgrade their seats due to the fare class Viking purchases. So It appears to me there is no guarantee of what might happen with Plus.  

• Like 1

I just received a new Viking Oceans brochure (risk free guarantee on 2022 cruises, Viking past guest special offers, reduced airfare) that lists premium economy and Business class airfare prices for some cruises in addition to the economy price.

As an example, on the British Isles Explorer cruise (London to Bergen), the airfare special is $999.  Upgrade to premium economy for an additional $1,099 and to business class for an additional $3,499.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crimmj said:

….”in the Air section of MVJ there is a feature to allow you to explore alternative routings..”

I have never seen this feature - what does it look like? A button? A link? 

Based on this thread I went to MVJ to see alternative flights to our flights in May LAX to Istanbul.  From the section that has details on our booked flights there is a button to click to check alternative flights.  I note that Viking provided the best flight one stop/change in Frankfurt.  We could take an alternative but flight would depart 3 hours earlier and arrive 1 hour later.  We have the best routing available 

5 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

I just received a new Viking Oceans brochure (risk free guarantee on 2022 cruises, Viking past guest special offers, reduced airfare) that lists premium economy and Business class airfare prices for some cruises in addition to the economy price.

As an example, on the British Isles Explorer cruise (London to Bergen), the airfare special is $999.  Upgrade to premium economy for an additional $1,099 and to business class for an additional $3,499.

If it’s an east coast flight from the US and you are booked on BA, you’re probably better with premium economy than business, unless you want to sleep on a flat bed. The current club service on BA isn’t that good and unless it is club suites, the old club seats don’t all have aisle access

• Like 1