Distance Around Walking Path on Riviera

Cruisedreamer1

Thanks!! Now I can put together something to count my laps. Paper strips, coffee stirrers come to mind. Any other ideas? 

I try to walk 5 miles a day so you can see trying to keep track of 50 laps is a bit of a burden.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
more information

4 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Thanks!! Now I can put together something to count my laps. Paper strips, coffee stirrers come to mind. Any other ideas? 

I try to walk 5 miles a day so you can see trying to keep track of 50 laps is a bit of a burden.

Wear a Fitbit or Apple Watch and let it count the the number of steps you take.  Don't use the GPS function to measure distance because that will be affected by the ship's movement.  For many people 5 miles is about 10 or 11 thousand steps - your mileage may differ.

Do it the old military way. Take a penny and five nickels or quarters. Put them all in your left pants pocket.

Count five laps, move the penny to your right pocket. 

Count five move laps, move a nickel over to the right and the penny back to the left.

Repeat.

If you fill confidence in counting to 10, you don’t need the penny.

I’ve made it through swamps, mountains, and wooded areas, in daylight and dark, using that method to always know my position. Ranger!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, esther e said:

I use a rollator (like a walker but a lot smaller) and I  would like to walk around the fitness track at my speed.  Do you think, if I kept to the far right, it would be a problem for those who are more active?  

no problem  usually people will announce they are passing you  on the left

I like to do the walk at my own pace & not compete in a marathon 😉

You can also walk around  the deck above the pool  if the loungers are not all over the area

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/pool-and-whirlpools-311077/pool-and-whirlpools--v14124030

• Like 1

To get some stairs into my walking, I like to do a lap on the walking track, then walk down the stairs to the deck above the pool, walk up the steps towards the bow, walk around the mini golf area, go back down the steps to the deck above the pool, and then back up the steps to the walking track and repeat.  I have no idea how far that is, but I walk for 30-45 minutes and this route is less boring for me than walking in relatively short laps.

I did lots of walking laps on world cruises. I would count my laps using fist and opening fingers as I completed first mile to see how many minutes it took. Then I would decide how many miles I wanted and watched the clock vs keep counting.  ie. 10 minutes first mile. 3 miles = 30 minutes. Etc

33 minutes ago, gardenbunny said:

I did lots of walking laps on world cruises. I would count my laps using fist and opening fingers as I completed first mile to see how many minutes it took. Then I would decide how many miles I wanted and watched the clock vs keep counting.  ie. 10 minutes first mile. 3 miles = 30 minutes. Etc

Wow 10 minutes per mile is 6 miles per hour.  You're fast 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Wow 10 minutes per mile is 6 miles per hour.  You're fast 😉

A 10 minute mile is roughly equivalent to double time cadence in the Army. A fast walk indeed. Marching at standard cadence was a 15 minute mile, or 4 mph. 

Those wondering about the math above, the cadence increased with double time, while the length of stride decreased.

I have to admit that Oceania's ships have disappointed me in the past because of the small walking track.  When we were on the QE2 and also on NCL's GEM both had long walk-arounds available.  I used them ... I never have used the small walking track on O's ships.

Just my opinion!  I liked knowing that 3 rounds on the QE2 was a mile (or whatever it was).  My recollection is that the GEM's path was shorter -- both of these cruises were a long time ago so I don't remember the specifics. But both were far better than what O's ships have offered.

In addition there was less traffic ...

Mura

DW walks three miles a day, come hell or high water.  She long ago gave up on top-deck tracks [too windy] and promenade decks [too many obstacles] and instead checks out the deck plans for cabin decks with a full circuit.  Oceania's O-ships provide this on decks 8 and 9.  An added benefit is in rough seas, since these corridors have handrails to grab...

On 2/6/2022 at 1:04 PM, navelgunner said:

Wear a Fitbit or Apple Watch and let it count the the number of steps you take.  Don't use the GPS function to measure distance because that will be affected by the ship's movement.  For many people 5 miles is about 10 or 11 thousand steps - your mileage may differ.

Funny, I remember a particularly rough day and my fit bit said I had climbed something like 700 stairs.

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW walks three miles a day, come hell or high water.  She long ago gave up on top-deck tracks [too windy] and promenade decks [too many obstacles] and instead checks out the deck plans for cabin decks with a full circuit.  Oceania's O-ships provide this on decks 8 and 9.  An added benefit is in rough seas, since these corridors have handrails to grab...

Deck 9 on the Riviera is slightly more then 5 laps per mile. If you do your laps at night at a decent pace you might get to meet a security officer that just happens to be checking the exit lights around your second or third lap.  

1 hour ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Thanks for the ideas of where to walk! We will be on deck 9 so doing my mileage there in the evening will be more comfortable. I hope that my desire matches my energy level!

Just watch out for the couples going to dinner, and the stewards with their carts doing evening turn down service. This would probably be fine for an O ship but I would think the R class would be a bit tight for this. Then on the other hand I'm a husky lad and like plenty of space around me. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ORV said:

Just watch out for the couples going to dinner, and the stewards with their carts doing evening turn down service. This would probably be fine for an O ship but I would think the R class would be a bit tight for this. Then on the other hand I'm a husky lad and like plenty of space around me. 

By the time we finish dinner, the turn-down service is complete and the halls are clear.