Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2022

barbpretz

On 5/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, Cruise Starter said:

Maybe crème brûlée on the evening menu is ship specific.  It was no longer available on the Royal on the cruise we just disembarked.  

Crème Brûlée on the Grand had different flavors.  The everyday menu offerings have been cut back.

• Like 1

For those that find the state room shower cubicle too small or if there are "time pressures" for multiple people getting ready for formal nights etc

Use the showers adjacent to the gym / lotus spa.

They are much larger than the state room showers and there is ample room to move and lots of towels to use.

• Like 8

On 2/9/2022 at 2:05 AM, travelin.sisters said:

other than the things already mentioned: 

• military OBC (which is refundable)
  • the International Cafe (I am sad about how many cruises I didn't know that it was included & not an extra charge), great sandwiches & I always take zip lock baggies to have cookies in my cabin
  • pre purchase bottled water if you don't have a beverage plan
  • if your shoe falls apart on the cruise the upholsterer might be able to fix it for you (free)
  • made to order omelets in the buffet

We always get the water package , it is a great deal for how many you get.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, heathriel said:

Just found this out on our current sailing, but there’s a secret Indian menu you can order in the MDR with 24 hours notice.

I was going to take pictures when it arrived but everything smelled so good we started eating before I remembered!

This is a whole different caliber than what they serve at the buffets/lunch menu.

641153D4-0900-4E36-8820-E7E9C59E6FC5.jpeg

48248ADD-2237-4FE1-A95A-A9F60C493926.jpeg

You can also do this with Filipino food.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2022 at 12:36 PM, heathriel said:

They asked us ahead of time what kinds of things we would want, and I don't eat red meat or pork, so that drove the menu a bit, but we didn't get a chance to really order anything -- although I'm sure you could request something specific. It was served family-style. We had:

Chicken Biryani

Butter Chicken

Tofu Tikka Masala

Papadam

Wheat Naan

Raitha

We didn't have any chutneys, although I have seen some around the ship with other meals, so I'm sure that could be requested. The chicken was all on the bone, so definitely more authentic than one might be used to with an Indian restaurant. They told us if there were more than just the two of us then they could have more dishes, but there's only so much we can eat.

I see one Scottish dish there.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:05 PM, travelin.sisters said:

other than the things already mentioned: 

• military OBC (which is refundable)
  • the International Cafe (I am sad about how many cruises I didn't know that it was included & not an extra charge), great sandwiches & I always take zip lock baggies to have cookies in my cabin
  • pre purchase bottled water if you don't have a beverage plan
  • if your shoe falls apart on the cruise the upholsterer might be able to fix it for you (free)
  • made to order omelets in the buffet

What is the military obc and is it only for active duty or for veterans as well?

16 minutes ago, Houston Roadrunner said:

Veterans also.  Need to send copy of DD214 the first time.  For subsequent bookings, this information is maintained and the amount appears right away.

Oh wow that's nice. My husband is a disabled veteran. I'll let him know for next time, since he won't be coming this time with me.

19 minutes ago, Houston Roadrunner said:

Veterans also.  Need to send copy of DD214 the first time.  For subsequent bookings, this information is maintained and the amount appears right away.

Oh also, maybe I missed it but how much is the military OBC? Is it the same for anyone who qualifies or does it vary by cabin type?

Just now, whataboutport said:

Oh also, maybe I missed it but how much is the military OBC? Is it the same for anyone who qualifies or does it vary by cabin type?

Does not vary by cabin type. It is by length of cruise and can be used by more than one eligible person in the cabin.

Less than 7 days $50

7-13 days $100

14 and more days $250

I don't have a secret to share; I'm in search of an answer. I have booked B426 on the Royal Princess for our Southbound Alaskan cruise. It is an M1 mini-suite with a *slightly* bigger balcony due to a little slant. I took great care in choosing this cabin due to it's location in the middle of the ship, it being port side and the slightly slanted balcony. I declined the complimentary upgrade option because I'm worried we could be "technically" upgraded but end up unhappy with the location of the cabin. Who has thoughts on this? 

On 5/22/2022 at 11:21 PM, caribill said:

Does not vary by cabin type. It is by length of cruise and can be used by more than one eligible person in the cabin.

Less than 7 days $50

7-13 days $100

14 and more days $250

Does Army National Guard count as Military Service?

22 minutes ago, judy-judy said:

Does Army National Guard count as Military Service?

i - United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves with a copy of a military verification certificate confirming active duty status available for free online at Servicemembers Civil Relief Act website.
ii - Canadian National Defense -- CF1FC Silver Card with the word Veteran in the lower left corner for retired or the initials CAF for active military.

Tangentially related, the current, US-version of the Princess site doesn't make a mention of people who served in the militaries beyond US/CA, but I did spot a (different) forum discussing getting it in the UK from 2013, and a travel agency from 2015 for Australia and New Zealand... any idea what other nations may receive it?

Edit: There's a different bit in the fine print for retired; just copied the bit listing the active for brevity.

Edited by Cuedon

On 5/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, whataboutport said:

What is the military obc and is it only for active duty or for veterans as well?

active duty or veterans (I know some countries other than the US are included but I am not sure which) ...you only have to give them your info once & they will automatically credit it for future cruises...the amount varies by length of cruise...it is refundable credit so if you don't spend it you can get it as cash at the end of your cruise

oh sorry to repeat I guess all these were already answered

Edited by travelin.sisters
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 2:59 AM, Dr. Heidi said:

I don't have a secret to share; I'm in search of an answer. I have booked B426 on the Royal Princess for our Southbound Alaskan cruise. It is an M1 mini-suite with a *slightly* bigger balcony due to a little slant. I took great care in choosing this cabin due to it's location in the middle of the ship, it being port side and the slightly slanted balcony. I declined the complimentary upgrade option because I'm worried we could be "technically" upgraded but end up unhappy with the location of the cabin. Who has thoughts on this? 

You cab also request mega-updrade only, so you would only be upgraded to the next category - in your case a suite.

Thank you for sharing these Princess secrets, very helpful for upcoming cruises. 

I’m someone who really enjoys going to formal teas, especially in London when I visit a friend. Although I enjoyed a very recent afternoon tea at 3pm in a Sky Princess Dining Room, there was no clotted cream, just whipped cream which was fine. No big deal.There was no lemon curd which I kind of missed actually. We were not offered any choice of tea, everyone got the same tea and unfortunately it was not hot enough. Scones, tea sandwiches and little desserts were all good though. (It’s just that the desserts were served to us first, then the scones then the tea sandwiches!) I wonder if there would be cruisers like me who would be willing to pay for a Fortnum and Mason quality afternoon tea with lemon curd, clotted cream, strawberry preserves, choices of teas along with tea sandwiches with Coronation Chicken? 

Please let me know if you hear of a secret breakfast menu that serves creamed chipped beef on toast (SOS), pork roll (some may know it as Taylor Ham), and Philadelphia scrapple. Or a secret lunch menu with Italian hoagies, soft pretzels with mustard, and cheesesteaks. I will be the first to sign up.😊 Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t mind a cruise ship serving me New Orleans style chicory coffee and freshly made beignets with chocolate sauce to dip them in. Just sayin’.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

Thank you for sharing these Princess secrets, very helpful for upcoming cruises. 

I’m someone who really enjoys going to formal teas, especially in London when I visit a friend. Although I enjoyed a very recent afternoon tea at 3pm in a Sky Princess Dining Room, there was no clotted cream, just whipped cream which was fine. No big deal.There was no lemon curd which I kind of missed actually. We were not offered any choice of tea, everyone got the same tea and unfortunately it was not hot enough. Scones, tea sandwiches and little desserts were all good though. (It’s just that the desserts were served to us first, then the scones then the tea sandwiches!) I wonder if there would be cruisers like me who would be willing to pay for a Fortnum and Mason quality afternoon tea with lemon curd, clotted cream, strawberry preserves, choices of teas along with tea sandwiches with Coronation Chicken? 

Please let me know if you hear of a secret breakfast menu that serves creamed chipped beef on toast (SOS), pork roll (some may know it as Taylor Ham), and Philadelphia scrapple. Or a secret lunch menu with Italian hoagies, soft pretzels with mustard, and cheesesteaks. I will be the first to sign up.😊 Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t mind a cruise ship serving me New Orleans style chicory coffee and freshly made beignets with chocolate sauce to dip them in. Just sayin’.

I LOVE IT, ONE OF THE BEST POSTS I HAVE SEEN AS 15 CC MEMBER.  WHERE CAN I GET WHOLE BELLY FRIED CLAMS CLAMS!

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I would go to Harbor Freight and buy some magnetic hooks to place on the inside of the door.  Not sure I'd want to place my clean/soiled mask on a door handle (yes, I am a germaphobic).  

Yes! We like this hint as well. Got this advice from a friend, I ordered small magnetic hooks from Amazon (a dozen), were very helpful along the wall leading to the cabin door. We hung masks, caps, bags and an envelope with bills in it for room service, since we didn’t want to dig around for their tip. Love the hooks! 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/16/2022 at 12:55 PM, cruzin4us said:

Because the walls and ceiling are made of metal, magnets stick really well to them.   Invest in some of these heavy duty magnets, they work so well.   We hang our beach bags, lanyards, hats, shoe holders from them.   Make sure to get the 100# magnets.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075J9WNSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 12.53.57 PM.png

01A41C20-B8C0-4364-91EE-32920936959A.jpeg

Looking into getting these...how easy are they to remove from wall?  Read online due to strong hold it can be hard to remove them...what is your experience with them..thank you