USB Ports

trtog7

All folks who use "built-in" USB ports for charging should be aware - they are not all the same.  They will provide the same fixed voltage (5V), but the amperage of ports varies widely.  High draw devices (primarily Apple) charge best when the amperage is at least 2a, so if the built-in port is only a 1a port, your charging will take roughly twice as long.  Also, depending on the installation, the charger amperage may be shared with multiple ports, so the individual amperage is reduced.  Finally, some very old ports would only provide 0.5a, so there can be a huge difference.

How do you know the amperage of a built in port?  You really don't, unless it is labeled.  You can use third-party apps, such as Amperage for android devices to check your charging current.  (You can also use that to test your cables - change the cabling and see if there is a power draw difference).

And for LT Hambone - there is no such thing as a "standard USB charger".  Port, yes - charger no.

Also worth saying they are USB “A” ports, a lot of newer phones, tablets and wearable devices are being supplied with USB “C” charging cables this includes  Apple products.

USB “C” is supposed to be the new standard, at least in Europe, so it will be interesting to see what Onward is fitted with. My traveling charger cables collection is growing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

Also worth saying they are USB “A” ports, a lot of newer phones, tablets and wearable devices are being supplied with USB “C” charging cables this includes  Apple products.

USB “C” is supposed to be the new standard, at least in Europe, so it will be interesting to see what Onward is fitted with. My traveling charger cables collection is growing.

Remember that mobile devices with "C" connectors can still use a cable that is A to C - it doesn't require C to C.  Data transfer can be less on A/C connections, vs a C/C connection, but I very successfully charge devices with a C port using A to C cable.

OTOH, a laptop with a C power port will require a C power brick and a C to C high-power cable.  Much heavier power demand than what an A to C could provide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And for LT Hambone - there is no such thing as a "standard USB charger".  Port, yes - charger no.

@FlyerTalker - My apologies for the confusion, the correct technical term is a standard USB Type A port, as @Riocca just pointed out. I also believe these ports are the lower 1.5 A, and not the higher amps for rapid charging.

Being a proud member of the IT field, I should have caught my gaffe above. 

USB.jpg.e65850704b7d40df617b5821e49634f5.jpg

49 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember that mobile devices with "C" connectors can still use a cable that is A to C - it doesn't require C to C.  Data transfer can be less on A/C connections, vs a C/C connection, but I very successfully charge devices with a C port using A to C cable.

OTOH, a laptop with a C power port will require a C power brick and a C to C high-power cable.  Much heavier power demand than what an A to C could provide.

Yes I was thinking more of the power connecting end, my iPhone was supplied without a cable which is good  but the Apple Watch 7 mag charger has a C connection and iPad  Air is a C to C now my car has 6 USB ports but they’re all C type, my previous car had all USB A.

Must admit it’s getting a nightmare with the different cables required and it’s going to get worse before it’s all standardised.

And though not an issue on a cruise ship (I hope), there is also the possibility of "juice jacking".  You think it's a simple charging port, but it is really a way to hack into your device.  See, that charging cable is also capable of data transmission.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, LT Hambone said:

Found it!

Been looking all morning for a suitable photo to show where the USB Type A port is located on the light fixture, and here's one from Cruise Deck Plans -

AzaVer703-67474-1634207069.jpg.451359bd03dd36c8d79818fb1ecb8842.jpg

I couldn't zoom the photo enough to be sure, but I'd swear that is an old Micro-USB port.  Yikes.

Definitely USB A, but as the subject has been mentioned I thought it’s worth saying we’ve had a couple of cruises on different ships where one of the USB ports was faulty. With devices demanding more and more power it’s easy to overload these ports, there’s also a high possibility of faulty connectors or leads short circuiting the power supply.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riocca said:

Definitely USB A, but as the subject has been mentioned I thought it’s worth saying we’ve had a couple of cruises on different ships where one of the USB ports was faulty. With devices demanding more and more power it’s easy to overload these ports, there’s also a high possibility of faulty connectors or leads short circuiting the power supply.

We had a faulty USB on an Azamara cruise (can’t remember which one). We reported it to Guest Relations and it was mended within 24 hours.

On 2/11/2022 at 2:23 PM, FlyerTalker said:

And though not an issue on a cruise ship (I hope), there is also the possibility of "juice jacking".  You think it's a simple charging port, but it is really a way to hack into your device.  See, that charging cable is also capable of data transmission.

I did not realize your post was a long time ago. I have read a warning from German internet security companies warning not to use those USB ports because by using them you become vulnerable to hackers.

Ivi

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I did not realize your post was a long time ago. I have read a warning from German internet security companies warning not to use those USB ports because by using them you become vulnerable to hackers.

Ivi

It's a theoretical vulnerability, and the risk is a huge amount lower in a cruise ship cabin versus a public place where anyone could get to the physical socket.  I'm not concerned, but if you're really worried, then use a USB data blocker on your cable.  This allows the power through, but not any data.

• Thanks 1

Interesting as I was musing this very subject yesterday. As time goes on it seems to become more and more complicated. It gets even more so when one tries to establish what power output you are getting. Slow charging of devices can be very frustrating and only as good as your weakest link. So aside from having the bedside charging using the USB by the bedside light I also looked at the adapter I use plugged in by the counter area. 

This is the power adapter I've bought on Amazon together with a 6 in one cable that includes an LED power display. Just trying to cut down on all the cables and give me an idea of the charging power I'm getting. I'm no expert and haven't had occasion to use them yet, but hoping they do the trick. 

Phil 

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2680.jpeg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Interesting as I was musing this very subject yesterday. As time goes on it seems to become more and more complicated. It gets even more so when one tries to establish what power output you are getting. Slow charging of devices can be very frustrating and only as good as your weakest link. So aside from having the bedside charging using the USB by the bedside light I also looked at the adapter I use plugged in by the counter area. 

This is the power adapter I've bought on Amazon together with a 6 in one cable that includes an LED power display. Just trying to cut down on all the cables and give me an idea of the charging power I'm getting. I'm no expert and haven't had occasion to use them yet, but hoping they do the trick. 

Phil 

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2680.jpeg

I can vouch for the 6 in 1 cable, they’re brilliant. 

• Like 2