Security photo?

RAS4331

On the Navigator App, at the top right next to Boarding Pass, it has a box saying “Add Security Photo.” I assumed that I would take a selfie, but when I click on it, it says “there is a problem with your account,” and I get logged out.  

So has anyone else had trouble with this?  And is this an important requirement that I need to worry about, or should I just wait till I get to the ship and let them take a security photo if they want one?  

Well if it's to be a security photo, wouldn't it be the cruise line be the ones to take and place it on  your account?  How secure would it be if you could put any photo you wanted on there?

Kind of like passport photo must be a certain size and background.

• Like 3

Had the same situation prior to our Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise on 1/2/2022. Sat in the hotel prior to boarding and was able to take selfies for myself and wife. They showed up on the app and I figured all was good. When we got to the dock and during check-in you need to stand in front of a camera for facial recognition. Neither picture was acceptable. Ended up had to go to another counter and get a new picture. I'd wait until you get to the ship. Save yourself some aggravation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dogo88 said:

Had the same situation prior to our Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise on 1/2/2022. Sat in the hotel prior to boarding and was able to take selfies for myself and wife. They showed up on the app and I figured all was good. When we got to the dock and during check-in you need to stand in front of a camera for facial recognition. Neither picture was acceptable. Ended up had to go to another counter and get a new picture. I'd wait until you get to the ship. Save yourself some aggravation. 

The above is wise advise.  Just get it done at the pier.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HamOp said:

Well if it's to be a security photo, wouldn't it be the cruise line be the ones to take and place it on  your account?  How secure would it be if you could put any photo you wanted on there?

I agree, I let them take the photo then they know it is me.

We don't even own or use a smartphone.  Three separate check-ins last fall, I filled out everything on the computer in the check-in process, then when we got to the pier, they looked at everything we had and quick as a wink snapped a picture for the facial recognition, no delay, no problem whatsoever.  Don't waste your time fooling with the Navigator Ap if it doesn't work.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HamOp said:

When you first check in, they will look at the picture you uploaded and if it isn't a match or otherwise too blurry whatever, they will make you take another.

I was very careful about my selfie, but they still didn't like it and took another.   

If you get the error with the app - I usually delete the app and redownload.   You don't lose anything and it fixes a lot of stuff.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dogo88 said:

I agree with this - unless you want to try and see if you can produce a successful photo - don't sweat it and just do it when you check in.  I am going to try again!   Not optimistic I'll succeed.  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

2 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

When you first check in, they will look at the picture you uploaded and if it isn't a match or otherwise too blurry whatever, they will make you take another.

I was very careful about my selfie, but they still didn't like it and took another.   

If you get the error with the app - I usually delete the app and redownload.   You don't lose anything and it fixes a lot of stuff.   

Thanks...will just wait and let them do it..it's been a few years since I've cruised...first one without DH...so bittersweet...

4 hours ago, HamOp said:

This is not a rare thing as quite a few cruise lines (including several in the CCL family) allow folks to add their photo via their app.  It is actually a secure system since they do (quietly) compare your uploaded photo to your actual face and Passport at embarkation.  In one case we needed to get a new photo at embarkation (which was quickly done by the embarkation folks) since our photo was a bit old and did not reflect a new haircut :).  In theory the advantage of uploading a photo is that it saves a little time (and keeps the queue moving) at embarkation.  On our recent Princess cruise we were through the entire check-in process (at Ft Lauderdale) in less then 10 minutes and quickly walking up the gangway.  That being said, Princess uses a high tech Medallion (a personal transponder) instead of a cruise card and it is shipped to the passengers prior to the cruise.  This makes embarkation a very fast process since they do not need to look for your cruise card or even go through much of a check-in procedure other than glancing at one's Passport, Vaccine card, and COVID test results.

Hank

• Like 1

I have sailed twice since the restart and uploaded the photo both times. It made absolutely zero difference. The first time they used my previous cruise photo and the second time they took a new photo. 

• Thanks 1

And not having stuff on a smartphone or preloaded except computer check-in, the check-in process 3 times went very, very, very quickly last fall, a few minutes, no waiting anywhere.  No fumbling with a phone to get to the correct page, just hand them a few pieces of paper and it went much faster than those I saw trying to use their phones to check in.  And people aren't happy with the Princess Medallion ap with no option to provide updated info on a regular computer ahead of time. Princess is "re-developing the computer program to be able to provide updated info on a computer as well as on the Medallion app, if it is working.  The facial recognition app in use worked most of the time as we had to get off on 3 B2Bs and go through zero count and CBP checking involving facial recognition--often folks had to go for a personal check because the facial recognition ap didn't work, so none of it is perfect.