The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

How dare you not report her? All violators must be summarily punished. 

Anyway - on Pr1ma from Nov. 20th to Dec. 1st, my husband wore Crocs several times to the Haven Restaurant, including at dinner. I don't make a habit of looking at people's feet, so am unsure if others had sandals on. 

On Pr1ma, I did notice this sign at the Haven's hostess podium. The actual photo is from Hudson's (I think), but same exact wording. 

20231122_100522(1).thumb.jpg.3a825d2d95cd6c6a08046f4984a520ad.jpg

I remember that from our Haven Breakaway last March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

From the NCL website:

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

IOW.  Looks like they're applying the upscale restaurant code to the Haven.  Closed toed shoes isn't a great inconvenience.

My husband  has always worn shoes to Le Bistro and Ocean Blue,  however I have worn dressy ladies  sandals.  Guess  the Breakaway  is no longer giving  us ladies  that option. ....and they  looked  much dressier than the gym shoes they made me change into.    Strangely Ocean Blue was fine with  my dress sandals.

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

How dare you not report her? All violators must be summarily punished. 

Anyway - on Pr1ma from Nov. 20th to Dec. 1st, my husband wore Crocs several times to the Haven Restaurant, including at dinner. I don't make a habit of looking at people's feet, so am unsure if others had sandals on. 

On Pr1ma, I did notice this sign at the Haven's hostess podium. The actual photo is from Hudson's (I think), but same exact wording. 

20231122_100522(1).thumb.jpg.3a825d2d95cd6c6a08046f4984a520ad.jpg

They  did have this sign on hostess desk. 

Does anyone see something  about  sandals in this wording?    

6 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Interesting!   May  Getaway  and October Joy definitely allowed sandals for men and women  in the Haven restaurant.    

We were on the Encore in September and Viva two weeks ago and casual (shorts) and sandals were allowed. No notice at the hostess desk. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

From the NCL website:

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

IOW.  Looks like they're applying the upscale restaurant code to the Haven.  Closed toed shoes isn't a great inconvenience.

Closed toe shoes will be a bummer for my husband… he wears sandals all winter long in nj (nice ones, but sandals none the less)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snickers22 said:

Closed toe shoes will be a bummer for my husband… he wears sandals all winter long in nj (nice ones, but sandals none the less)

If they enforce the requirement for closed toed shoes in the Haven, you're alternatives are:

buy some cheap throw away shoes for the cruise.

choose to dine elsewhere

take all  your meals in the cabin.

I find it interesting that all the complaints about this policy always mention their sandals are 'nice ones'.   It's not  the quality of the shoes so much  that some don't won't to see poorly manicured toe nails.  Very much like those complaining about shorts in the MDR that don't won't to see men's legs.

Personally, I don't care what footwear as long as someone is wearing footwear.  I just don't spend a lot of time looking at peoples feet.

• Like 1

When we were in the Haven on the Joy in April, for dinner my wife wore open toed shoes everynight. I will say I wore Flip Flops in the morning to breakfast in the Haven but I was not allowed to wear a tank top in the Haven for breakfast even on the outdoor Patio portion of the Haven . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

When we were in the Haven on the Joy in April, for dinner my wife wore open toed shoes everynight. I will say I wore Flip Flops in the morning to breakfast in the Haven but I was not allowed to wear a tank top in the Haven for breakfast even on the outdoor Patio portion of the Haven . 

In January and March (Getaway and Joy) we both wore flippy floppies to all meals in the Haven and were never turned away. I didn't pack flippy floppies in November, so couldn't test this out on Pr1ma. I now wish I had paid attention to other's feet so I could answer what Pr1ma does.

I do know that (if you follow lives/other places online) I've noticed Breakaway seems to get carried away with their Haven's dress code. More so, it seems, than other ships. At least based on all previous experiences I've had in NCL's Haven. It may just me a mistaken impression by me, made by observing other's comments. @Sand and Seas experience certainly seems to validate what I've heard though. 

• Like 1

Would it surprise anyone on this thread that the topic of Dress Code is a reoccurring topic on every single cruise brand blog. The enforcement of the policy is inconsistant until someone is told they cannot dine they way they are dressed.  Like so many things on a cruise, the rules and policies are clear as mud.  Just the way it is and seems to stay. 

In the old days, we dressed up for every meal especially dinner.  Some folks liked it, some hated it and other could go either way.  Over time the dress code got more and more casual.  The debate continues and will continue.  My approach is kind of simple.  Use good business judgement.  If you are turned away, just go change.  If you see someone not dressed the way you like, don't let it make your meal bad.  We are on a cruise, on vacation with 4000 new friends.  Not everyone approaches everything the way I do.  It is up to make to no let it bother me.  Our Attitude is all we can control. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

In the old days, we dressed up for every meal especially dinner.  Some folks liked it . . . 

Which is why I have no iron in this fire, and I'm staying 'waaaayyyyyyy out of this discussion.  But, as always, sir, you speak to common sense.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Would it surprise anyone on this thread that the topic of Dress Code is a reoccurring topic on every single cruise brand blog. The enforcement of the policy is inconsistant until someone is told they cannot dine they way they are dressed.  Like so many things on a cruise, the rules and policies are clear as mud.  Just the way it is and seems to stay. 

In the old days, we dressed up for every meal especially dinner.  Some folks liked it, some hated it and other could go either way.  Over time the dress code got more and more casual.  The debate continues and will continue.  My approach is kind of simple.  Use good business judgement.  If you are turned away, just go change.  If you see someone not dressed the way you like, don't let it make your meal bad.  We are on a cruise, on vacation with 4000 new friends.  Not everyone approaches everything the way I do.  It is up to make to no let it bother me.  Our Attitude is all we can control. 

Yes, we used to take a Tux for my husband and I had a beaded evening gown or two!  I don't know how we managed to carry all of that luggage on board🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If they enforce the requirement for closed toed shoes in the Haven, you're alternatives are:

buy some cheap throw away shoes for the cruise.

choose to dine elsewhere

take all  your meals in the cabin.

I find it interesting that all the complaints about this policy always mention their sandals are 'nice ones'.   It's not  the quality of the shoes so much  that some don't won't to see poorly manicured toe nails.  Very much like those complaining about shorts in the MDR that don't won't to see men's legs.

Personally, I don't care what footwear as long as someone is wearing footwear.  I just don't spend a lot of time looking at peoples feet.

Sorry-  I noted 'dressy sandals' as they were clearly more upscale footwear than the gym shoes (for wearing on plane) that I had to change into.  

I am not complaining about wearing closed toe footwear covering up my pedicure, however, no where did the signage say that women (or men) needed to wear closed toe shoes.   I brought it up here to give others a 'heads up'. 

I suggested to them they should give us notice prior to boarding the ship so we could pack appropriately.   I do have some 'dressy' closed toed shoes also😉

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Sorry-  I noted 'dressy sandals' as they were clearly more upscale footwear than the gym shoes (for wearing on plane) that I had to change into.  

I am not complaining about wearing closed toe footwear covering up my pedicure, however, no where did the signage say that women (or men) needed to wear closed toe shoes.   I brought it up here to give others a 'heads up'. 

I suggested to them they should give us notice prior to boarding the ship so we could pack appropriately.   I do have some 'dressy' closed toed shoes also😉

Did you read the FAQ on what to pack?  It's in there.  See my post #3475.

Now I will admit the closed toe shoes was only mentioned in  the context of men.  Was your husband wearing closed toe shoes?  

Have you noticed that most of the dress codes are directed towards men?  

Edited by RocketMan275

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Did you read the FAQ on what to pack?  It's in there.  See my post #3475.

Now I will admit the closed toe shoes was only mentioned in  the context of men.  Was your husband wearing closed toe shoes?  

Have you noticed that most of the dress codes are directed towards men?  

Yes, read those requirements many times. Nothing about women's footwear.  (Sorry, they do seem to give women more leeway on dress-code and many 'ladies' could use a little more guidance!)

And yes, my husband always brings closed toed decent looking shoes for required restaurants. 

However, no where did the Haven signage say anything other than 'footwear required', which I take to mean no bare feet.   If you ever see me in ANY restaurant with bare feet I have clearly totally lost it and need to be safely locked in my cabin😲

Just wanted to give everyone here a heads up.   It appears to be only Breakaway Haven at this time as I and others have noted in our recent cruises on other ships.  The haven hostess was telling me EVERY ship had been doing this for the last three months.  She was clearly misinformed.

5 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Just wanted to give everyone here a heads up.   It appears to be only Breakaway Haven at this time as I and others have noted in our recent cruises on other ships.  The haven hostess was telling me EVERY ship had been doing this for the last three months.  She was clearly misinformed.

Sorry you had that issue.

Sounds like you may have received the "every body is doing it excuse" from the hostess.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 12:59 PM, Sand and Seas said:

Has anyone  been told of a new Haven restaurant dinner dress code?   Just got off Breakaway  and was surprised  to be sent to change  from sandals to shoes.  It was a bit of a hike  back  to our forward facing suite  on a different  deck but we did go and change to shoes.

They said  change  was fleetwide 3 months ago?  Sandals  were allowed in Joy haven restaurant  in late  October.   (I did see a lady in a sundress and flip flops that same night....but I didn't  report her🙄)

On our recent cruise (November 25, Escape), a gentlemen wearing a tank top was asked to change. He came back wearing a t-shirt and was seated. Based on my observation, women and children had much more accepted, relaxed standards than men. 

• Like 1

I was on the Breakaway in April and just got off the Epic - both times in the Haven.  In the BA I wore flip flops to almost every meal.  It was never an issue.  On the one warm day we had on the most recent sailing, I wore them once.  Again no issue.  We saw many (men and women) wear shorts and flip flops.  Again, no issue.  I take the rule to mean that you have to have shoes on.  Doesn’t specify what kind of shoes.

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

As @Sthrngary has said, this type of problem is endemic to the cruise industry.  What works on one ship is not allowed on another even on the same cruise line.  I think the moral of the story is be a Scout : Be Prepared...  I think anyone who wants to wear any type of clothing that is possibly questionable in the Haven (where the experience is supposed to be upscale) one should be prepared to either meet that ship's dress code or dine at the buffet, where just about anything goes... even pajamas.  Funny thing, pajamas and bathrobe were not mentioned in the Haven Restaurant dress code either.  Would that be OK? 

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

As @Sthrngary has said, this type of problem is endemic to the cruise industry.  What works on one ship is not allowed on another even on the same cruise line.  I think the moral of the story is be a Scout : Be Prepared...  I think anyone who wants to wear any type of clothing that is possibly questionable in the Haven (where the experience is supposed to be upscale) one should be prepared to either meet that ship's dress code or dine at the buffet, where just about anything goes... even pajamas.  Funny thing, pajamas and bathrobe were not mentioned in the Haven Restaurant dress code either.  Would that be OK? 

@Daniel A I say, Pajamas and Bathrobe are good for me.  Daniel, I love to cruise so much and want every single experience I can have before I can't enjoy it anymore.  For whatever reason, I gravitate to Cruising and before Cruising it was RVing.  I read the topics on about four (4) cruise brands pretty regularly.  Some might think I respond to all I read. They would be wrong.  But I really do pay attention. 

Part of cruising is of course the experience, food, dining and atmosphere. When I am at home, to go to even an average restaurant it takes so much effort just to be ready to leave the house.  Then someone has to be the designated driver which is usually me.  WHY, happy wife, happy life.  

When I go on a cruise, the effort before dinner is about the same.  Then you walk to a Seafood Restaurant and have lobster; a steak restaurant and have Prime Rib; a French Restaurant and have well French Food. Recently, I went to a cruise brand Italian Restaurants and they had Versace plates. I kid you not.  As we were being seated, I over heard the host very professionally say that the Restaurant had a dress code and flip flops, tea shirt and jeans with holes in them were not allowed.  The host said he would happily save the group, that is right an entire group was dressed that way, table until they came back.  No issue, no fighting, no argument and they no showed for their table. 

When we were done, we were walking past the pool area that has a pizzeria at night.  To be honest, some of the best pizza I have ever had at sea.  There was the entire group, having pizza, beer, wine and having a GREAT time.  They choose not to change and have pizza for dinner instead of the menu at the Specialty Restaurant.  I completely respect that decision however they should have opened the table to another group.  

Cruises, all cruises have chooses.  Dress code is a choice.  If some members of CruiseCritic.com have an issue with a posted dress code, go on another cruise brand.  Them there are the rules and rules are for everyone. As long as folks to not get an attitude when they are turned down for a nice specialty restaurant, all is good in the world.  The issue is when they have a "COW" and make it awful for the crew and the other guests. I wish folks would always be understanding and kind.  It would make every ones experience so much better.

PS: I was on the NCL Getaway some years back.  The Haven Lounge and Bar are right next to the pool.  That day the pool was crowded.  A very nice young lady in a string bikini had a towel around her bottom, came in for a drink at the Haven bar because no servers were by the pool.  She was not wet but it was a string bikini top.  When she left, the person next to me said who awful it was that she was dressed that way.  I said, "Not at all.  It is during the day, she wanted a drink, she came to the bar and went back out to the pool.  If there were servers, she never would have left the pool area." That person pick up his drink and left.  The other in the bar bought me a round.  It was free because we all were drinking Tequila 1942 on the Premium Plus Drink Package before they changed the rules on my favorite drink. That really happened and I simply smiled and took a shot. 

• Like 4

I appreciate your indulgence of other's standards of dress, but there are many who spend the money to stay at a nice place and enjoy meals in a more upscale environment.  I'm not equating wearing sandals to wearing a pair of PJs and bathrobe to dinner.  I was pointing out the idea that the sign at the hostess station doesn't need to educate passengers regarding every single type of unacceptable attire, or code of conduct.  I'm sure that @Sand and Seas either respected the dress code at that Haven and wore attire that was accepted or found another place to dine.

As an aside, I used the example of PJs and bathrobe because I just experienced having a young man dressed in flip flops, PJs and bathrobe being seated next to me at breakfast at a hotel.  I didn't really notice it until I could smell the clothes he had slept in.  I asked for a different table and there was no other table available, so we vacated our table, and we enjoyed a great Egg McMuffin down the road.  We will never stay at that hotel again.  If it was their preference to have someone dressed that way rather than guests who had the respect for others to wait until they were dressed, then that's not where I want to stay.

As an aside, I would have invited the yourn lady with the string bikini to sit next to me at the bar - all afternoon!  😄

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

As an aside, I would have invited the yourn lady with the string bikini to sit next to me at the bar - all afternoon!  😄

You must have a death wish.  I doubt your wife would approve.

Bad odor is one thing.  Wearing a bath robe is something entirely different.

• Haha 1