Bliss Mexican Riviera - How rough is the journey end of March?

dalmoradie

We will be on the Bliss Mexican Riviera Sailing March 27-April 3. Can anyone who has done this cruise in March tell me how rough the sea will be?  My sister gets very sea sick and was wondering is she would need to get prescription strength meds for this?  TIA!

Hi! While I haven't done this specific cruise in March, I just came off the Bliss on this route a few weeks ago and it was a smooth ride the whole way. That said, the week prior there were large storms and a tsunami warning. The weather changes constantly so it would be impossible to know what the seas would be like until a few days out and then you can check the weather for storms. As far as the meds go, if your sister gets sea sick, 100% bring the meds. It's always better to have something and not need it than to want something and not have it. It will also be good for her to know the meds are there if she needs it. Get lots of fresh air and hopefully she doesn't have an inside cabin and can look out into the ocean.

• Like 1

We have done this sailing 3 times at spring break time (March/April) and will be on this ship the week before you.  I used to ask this question all the time and then learned that it really can vary.

We had one night, I believe it was a first or second night, that was rough.  I took my Bonine and some Ativan and went to bed early and slept through it all.  I get the jitters (medical term is "situational anxiety") and have my doctor give me a 10-prescription of Ativan (or similar medication they would recommend) and start it a day or 2 prior.  And then I take that + Bonine every x hours as allowed.

We had a sailing to Hawaii once that was wicked.  They closed the decks, chairs and wheelchairs and walkers tossed about ... ooo, it was rough.  But we lived through it and all was quiet the next morning.

Most sailings to Mexico for us have been smoooooth sailing with the exception of that one night however many years ago.

We did this cruise in December and at higher floors the swells were very noticeable. So happy we were sleeping in a mid ship low floor on Deck 5. A few times I went back to the cabin to settle my nerves. I dont get sea sick but felt anxiety. I re-booked this cruise for March 27 and we have a higher cabin on 8th deck. I hope I can sleep.

I get seasick/motion sick easily. I avoid watching amateur cruise videos because one fast pan shot without stabilization makes me nauseous! The Mexican Riviera routes can be a little rough on the first & last days, but Bonine (over the counter version) works wonders for me. I take a tablet the night before and then the first two nights of the cruise, and that’s enough. I also keep ginger chews or candied ginger on hand, and eat them at the slightest hint of feeling a bit off. By the end of the second day I’ve adapted enough that I don’t need meds or ginger. 

On my October cruise I went to the Thermal Spa on the last evening to get one more session in the therapy pool. The seas were definitely rough and it was like a wave pool in there. It was awesome! 

Get her Seabands. You can get them at any drug store, just ask at the pharmacy. I have used them for years. They’re bracelets that have pressure knobs for her wrists. I fought tinnitus & dizziness for years. I also always had a bottle of Meclizine, a prescription nausea pill. If she gets sick, get a green apple & ask for soda crackers at the buffet. I can sympathize with the nausea. Have a wonderful cruise!

On 2/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, dalmoradie said:

We will be on the Bliss Mexican Riviera Sailing March 27-April 3. Can anyone who has done this cruise in March tell me how rough the sea will be?  My sister gets very sea sick and was wondering is she would need to get prescription strength meds for this?  TIA!

Just get them in case needed, no one knows how the seas will be until we are actually cruising

• Like 1

We’ve sailed in March on the Star.  Heading back to Los Angeles was a little rough.  We found it annoying.  It did However, bother many guests.  In reading comments over the years, more often than not there are reports of rough seas. 

We are from California and do take prescriptions strength patches with us.  Our PCPs are very familiar with ordering such pharmaceuticals, as it is well known that the trip can get a little rocky.  Cruises from San Francisco, have the same issues. 

Get the prescriptions and hopefully you won’t need them.  

11 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

We have done this sailing 3 times at spring break time (March/April) and will be on this ship the week before you.  I used to ask this question all the time and then learned that it really can vary.

We had one night, I believe it was a first or second night, that was rough.  I took my Bonine and some Ativan and went to bed early and slept through it all.  I get the jitters (medical term is "situational anxiety") and have my doctor give me a 10-prescription of Ativan (or similar medication they would recommend) and start it a day or 2 prior.  And then I take that + Bonine every x hours as allowed.

We had a sailing to Hawaii once that was wicked.  They closed the decks, chairs and wheelchairs and walkers tossed about ... ooo, it was rough.  But we lived through it and all was quiet the next morning.

Most sailings to Mexico for us have been smoooooth sailing with the exception of that one night however many years ago.

Bonnie and Ativan? How long were you out for on that dreamy combo? 

12 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Bonnie and Ativan? How long were you out for on that dreamy combo? 

Ha ha - not long ... I mean, it got me to sleep that one night, don't remember it being excessive.  But it's what I do on every cruise - take them both however many times a day I'm allowed, don't get sleepy or anything ... seem normal and able to enjoy the sailing.

My experience - - - 

The rough waters tend to be just off the Isla de Cedros
where the current is interrupted by this hook of land 
projecting into the currents path.
Map Image: LINK

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cedros+Island,+Baja+California,+Mexico/@29.7119484,-113.4020918,1391606m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8130e9921ff40ca3:0x59990abbbd74bb48!8m2!3d28

Everything is just fine hunky dory after leaving Cabo
and then get to this point and this/that happens.

Going southbound to the MEX R it is not so much
noticed as it is a tail surge - going northbound and
you are tacking directly into it

Eat plenty of food - drink water - stay away from
mood altering meds and of course alcohol which may
create a high surf condition in your minds eye.

Hey mearsfansinboise, saw from your post here and in Secrets of Haven we’re on same cruise, ho-I got for an upgrade.  If so you’ll figure me out as I’ll probably be wearing something Denver Broncos or Tommy Bahama.  I go by YO.  Hope to say hey if we get in Haven with bid.

‘YO

1 hour ago, Coachyo said:

Hey mearsfansinboise, saw from your post here and in Secrets of Haven we’re on same cruise, ho-I got for an upgrade.  If so you’ll figure me out as I’ll probably be wearing something Denver Broncos or Tommy Bahama.  I go by YO.  Hope to say hey if we get in Haven with bid.

‘YO

Rad! - we are driving down 4 weeks from today; starting to get excited!

On 2/18/2022 at 8:18 AM, CptBoatface said:

Do seabands work for tinnitus?

They work with the nausea that goes with the ears ringing & dizziness. A few years back I would be in bed and puking for hours, it was horrible. It’s settled down now, but I keep my Seabands & Meclizine close.

It really depends on the weather pattern that is currently in California.

We have done this cruise many during March and April with no trouble but also a couple that actually delayed our arrival back into Los Angeles.

We will also be on the March 27th trip.

The one thing to know is generally the last sea day coming home expect windy weather on deck due to the course of the ship heading directly into the prevailing wind.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, dalmoradie said:

The sea conditions will be based on the weather on the week of your cruise. Yes, you are not sailing in hurricane season, so the potential for a real rollercoaster ride is less.

I think that you answered your own question. If your sister gets sea sick, then definitely have her get a set of patches and wear them throughout the cruise. Even if it psychological, they will make her feel better. She can talk to her doc about additional meds, get them, bring them. And if she gets very ill during the cruise, the ship's medical office can give her a jab and send her to bed, but that will be the end of that night's festivities.