Enchanted Princess International Cafe - sugar-free syrups for lattes etc.?

bottomfeeder

Hi all, wondering if any of you who have been on the Enchanted Princess recently can tell me if they stock sugar-free coffee syrups for lattes and such?  I'm trying to minimize my sugar consumption but I do love my fancy coffee treats!  Thanks in advance for any info!

4 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:
2 hours ago, brisalta said:

Why? Latte is just milk. So make up your mind do you want coffee or do you want milk? If you want coffee why do you want to ruin it with syrup?

A latte is espresso with milk. It isn't "just milk". I don't like it myself but it's a perfectly acceptable type of coffee. I suspect the OP wasn't interested in your judgment.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

A latte is espresso with milk. It isn't "just milk". I don't like it myself but it's a perfectly acceptable type of coffee. I suspect the OP wasn't interested in your judgment.

No, what you are describing is cafe latte or caffè latte.  Latte is just milk.

Edited by brisalta

41 minutes ago, brisalta said:

No, what you are describing is cafe latte or caffè latte.  Latte is just milk.

Whether what I want to get from the International Cafe includes espresso or not (i.e. whether I am using the common American usage for a latte containing espresso, or whether I am using your "precise" definition of the term and only want steamed milk with flavoring,) your response is sadly not helping to answer the question.

I will now go back to my usual practice on internet message boards of not feeding the trolls.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:

Hi all, wondering if any of you who have been on the Enchanted Princess recently can tell me if they stock sugar-free coffee syrups for lattes and such?  I'm trying to minimize my sugar consumption but I do love my fancy coffee treats!  Thanks in advance for any info!

Last time I asked, they didn't have any. I saw the bottles of Da Vinci syrup and thought they'd surely have sugar free in one or two flavors. Maybe if enough people keep asking they'll get with the program and start stocking some.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

Why? Latte is just milk. So make up your mind do you want coffee or do you want milk? If you want coffee why do you want to ruin it with syrup?

This reply is absolutely uncalled for.  Either answer the question and be helpful, or scroll on....   🤬

• Like 12

7 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:

On Majestic Princess, they offered sugar-free vanilla syrup; otherwise, the syrups were all regular. Sometimes I'll ask a barista for one pump of something else plus two pumps of the SF vanilla. That adds a little sugar (well, corn syrup) but not too much.

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

On Majestic Princess, they offered sugar-free vanilla syrup; otherwise, the syrups were all regular. Sometimes I'll ask a barista for one pump of something else plus two pumps of the SF vanilla. That adds a little sugar (well, corn syrup) but not too much.

This is good info as I will be on Majestic in May. I have yet to find the sugar-free vanilla on any other ship. This has always puzzled me. It cant be  that hard to add a bottle of SF vanilla to the mix. 

46 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

This is good info as I will be on Majestic in May. I have yet to find the sugar-free vanilla on any other ship. This has always puzzled me. It cant be  that hard to add a bottle of SF vanilla to the mix. 

There is usually a sugar free syrup available, but it's not flavored.
I got these....small and easy to carry:
https://www.skinnymixes.com/collections/best-sellers-2021/products/flavor-burst-variety-pack

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 3

Honestly, the last time I sailed,  I brought my favorite salted caramel sugar free Torani bottle. Took it with me whenever I wanted coffee. Gave the left over half bottle to a favored waiter up in the buffet. We were both very happy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, judithzuz said:

Honestly, the last time I sailed,  I brought my favorite salted caramel sugar free Torani bottle. Took it with me whenever I wanted coffee. Gave the left over half bottle to a favored waiter up in the buffet. We were both very happy.

Bottomfeeder and Judithzuz,

My last six cruises I also took my own sugar free flavors with me in small plastic bottles.  The barista at the International cafe every night asked what flavor.  Sadly, I have requested over the years for diabetics to be "catered to" with sugar free syrups, jello and a variety of jelly.  Three week cruise with only sugar free orange marmalade.  I was told they can't open another bottle until it is all used up. Even though there were four regular jellies of various flavors. If you hear about jars of sugar free orange marmalade disappearing on the Enchanted in March...well I  might know who!!

Sorry to hear the Enchanted doesn't have any sugar free syrup since I am going on her soon.  Will be packing my stash of mocha, salted caramel and vanilla.

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep I was thinking about bringing my own small sugar-free Torani bottles.  I wasn't sure if they would use them for me at the IC or if I'd have to mix the flavor in myself later and I would mess up the latte foam if I mixed in my own after they give me the coffee...plus I am a little worried about the bottles leaking in my luggage (I would double-bag them in ziplocs but you never know!  Though I guess my clothes smelling strongly of french vanilla wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen!)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bottomfeeder said:

Yep I was thinking about bringing my own small sugar-free Torani bottles.  I wasn't sure if they would use them for me at the IC or if I'd have to mix the flavor in myself later and I would mess up the latte foam if I mixed in my own after they give me the coffee...plus I am a little worried about the bottles leaking in my luggage (I would double-bag them in ziplocs but you never know!  Though I guess my clothes smelling strongly of french vanilla wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen!)

I put my syrups in the small travel plastic containers and doubled bagged them. On my pre covid cruises, the barista at the International Cafe always took the syrup and made my coffee...not sure if they will still do that now.  Time will tell!!

11 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:

We were on a 10 day on the Enchanted late last month.  My wife is also a sugar free syrup fan.  They had vanilla SF only.  Keep in mind there are actually 3 espresso bars on this beautiful ship! Apart from the International Cafe, there is one as part of the bar outside of Princess Live.  There is also one in the "pastry shop" area of World Fresh Marketplace.  So check them all!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Bottomfeeder and Judithzuz,

My last six cruises I also took my own sugar free flavors with me in small plastic bottles.  The barista at the International cafe every night asked what flavor.  Sadly, I have requested over the years for diabetics to be "catered to" with sugar free syrups, jello and a variety of jelly.  Three week cruise with only sugar free orange marmalade.  I was told they can't open another bottle until it is all used up. Even though there were four regular jellies of various flavors. If you hear about jars of sugar free orange marmalade disappearing on the Enchanted in March...well I  might know who!!

Sorry to hear the Enchanted doesn't have any sugar free syrup since I am going on her soon.  Will be packing my stash of mocha, salted caramel and vanilla.

Frankly, I find it appalling that there aren't more sugar free options for many things. This is not just a diabetic issue (although it SHOULD be), but an overall health issue!  I've asked often for diet tonic as a drink mixer... no such luck.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, julia said:

Frankly, I find it appalling that there aren't more sugar free options for many things. This is not just a diabetic issue (although it SHOULD be), but an overall health issue!  I've asked often for diet tonic as a drink mixer... no such luck.  

I have been on 23 cruises with Princess, my preferred line.  Over the past 5 years, I have contacted various  people in the "main" office regarding the lack of sugar free items on the cruises.  I've had the waiters and chefs tell me to contact the higher up in the main office, since they have very little ability to vary from the items the head office orders. 

As an insulin dependent diabetic I do watch what I eat and I do cheat and I do mix and match so I can have an enjoyable vacation.  The simplest requests like sugar free flavoring for coffees, or plain sugar free jello, sugar free tonic for a drink or even sugar free jelly so I can eat peanut butter and jelly for lunch are falling on deaf ears.  Last cruise the lunch chef told me he would make me sugar free jello..all I had to do is order it one hour before lunch. That never worked out but he tried.

I remember about 20 years ago, a mom and dad with an infant, who paid as a third guest in room, had only one flavor choice of jarred baby fruit  and one meat and vegetable flavor to eat all 10 days. They were originally told not to worry so they took nothing with them...Now I hear don't worry your next cruise you will see more sugar free choices. Wouldn't bet on it! So I pack my own.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm surprised that there's no one on the ship right now who could check to see what they have in stock.

I have been on many Princess ships and they just don't have sugar free flavors on any of the ships.

5 hours ago, suzyed said:

I have been on many Princess ships and they just don't have sugar free flavors on any of the ships.

Thanks.

I've never checked those flavorings.

Now it's got me thinking.

One more thing to remember to do next cruise. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, bottomfeeder said:

Whether what I want to get from the International Cafe includes espresso or not (i.e. whether I am using the common American usage for a latte containing espresso, or whether I am using your "precise" definition of the term and only want steamed milk with flavoring,) your response is sadly not helping to answer the question.

I will now go back to my usual practice on internet message boards of not feeding the trolls.

Don’t worry - according to this same poster, I’ve never had a “real milkshake” since I commented that milkshakes are blended…. Real milkshakes apparently are “shaken” to break up the ice cream.  🙃

I don’t think there’s actually a drink made with just steamed milk…. Except a steamed milk.  Latte is defined as short for Caffe Latte, at least according to 5 online dictionaries.  I had to make sure I wasn’t missing out on some new drink to try!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

Don’t worry - according to this same poster, I’ve never had a “real milkshake” since I commented that milkshakes are blended…. Real milkshakes apparently are “shaken” to break up the ice cream.  🙃

I don’t think there’s actually a drink made with just steamed milk…. Except a steamed milk.  Latte is defined as short for Caffe Latte, at least according to 5 online dictionaries.  I had to make sure I wasn’t missing out on some new drink to try!

That poster clearly knows a thing or two about beverages! Thank goodness they are here to help us navigate the the dark art of Princess drinks and avoid the horrors of a mug of steamed milk.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WAvoyager said:

I always order steamed milk with cinnamon in it for my nightcap every evening.  I'm sure if I ordered a Latte, it would have Expresso in it.  So ... you are absolutely correct! 

PS ... steamed milk with cinnamon is actually quite delicious!  And if you've ordered it once, the baristas know exactly what to make every night without even having to ask.  haha!