Stanley Tucci returns March 13

slidergirl

For those who watched Stanley's first season on CNN, the second season will start on March 13.   Rumors are he will visit Venice, Torino, Valle D'Aoste, Umbria so far.   It is a good series for anyone to watch.  I think the first season can be viewed on HBOMax, but not CNN.  When the CNN+ streaming service goes live, maybe it will show up there.  Venice will be good for cruisers and Umbria may be also for that pre/post cruise day trip out of Rome.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ooh, interesting -- thanks.  Valle d' Aosta is on my list of places to visit soon. They have (wait for it) great Roman ruins there -- it was originally built as a colony for retired legionaries and the original name is Augusta (hence Aosta).

Didn't realize it would be a culinary experience too. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ooh, interesting -- thanks.  Valle d' Aosta is on my list of places to visit soon. They have (wait for it) great Roman ruins there -- it was originally built as a colony for retired legionaries and the original name is Augusta (hence Aosta).

Didn't realize it would be a culinary experience too. 

I had no idea, either.  I've been on the other side of the Italian Alps and Dolomites, but not around there.  Closest was St. Moritz and that's not close.  But, the bobsled track at La Plagne (used for Albertville Olympics back in the 90s) is down the road.   Of course, for you, there would be Roman ruins 😉  For me, maybe wine.  I can't imagine a mountainous area like that in the North being much other than meat & potatoes & risotto.  Maybe some good alpine cheeses. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating this info with the news that Season 2 is delayed -- will not start on March 13th. Presumably due to the Russia/Ukraine situation and the fact that CNN is heavy into that coverage right now. 

Disappointing, but somewhat understandable. No new start date announced yet. Stay tuned.

https://www.mashed.com/785784/why-stanley-tucci-just-pushed-the-release-date-of-searching-for-italy/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/11/2022 at 7:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Just updating this info with the news that Season 2 is delayed -- will not start on March 13th. Presumably due to the Russia/Ukraine situation and the fact that CNN is heavy into that coverage right now. 

Disappointing, but somewhat understandable. No new start date announced yet. Stay tuned.

https://www.mashed.com/785784/why-stanley-tucci-just-pushed-the-release-date-of-searching-for-italy/

understandable.  I'll keep looking out for the new dates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

If you need something else Italian, have you tried Paradise? It's a series set in the 50s (guessing?) in Milano, about a ladies department store, and a cast of characters: the owner, advertising team, accountant, sales girls (Venuses) manager of the Venuses, and warehouse team. One of the main characters is the sales girl, Teresa, who moved up to leave her cheating boyfriend Salvo, and try to make a different life (can she?) up north. 

Season 2 was recently released on Prime via PBS Masterpiece, and I have found it to be wonderful. The only critique I really have is that I don't ever hear much of a Sicilian accent on Teresa when she's with her family but she displays the hot Sicilian temper when it's warranted, true to form. 

If anyone hasn't seen it, highly recommend for a dose of Italy, sweeping aero views of Milano in the opening and continuous shots of the Duomo in transitional shots with occasional countryside shots tossed in when they visit the factory in Biella. Oh and the odd grand villa here and there, including a stunning, all striking, brilliant all white interior marble (season 2) like I've never seen before inside a grand apartment. Amazing. 

There is a British version, and don't hate me please for not knowing which came first, too tired at this moment to google, so I apologize now for my ignorance. This was good too!

Enjoy and thanks everyone, as always. 🙂 

• Like 2

Haven't seen Don Matteo or Fedeltà, though I have a feeling I may have sampled Don Matteo and not continued–was it a Sicilian Mafia thing?

Season Three of My Brilliant Friend has been airing on HBO and I only found out yesterday so I binge-watched the first 5 episodes. Now I have to wait for the remaining episodes week by week. Still such an incredibly well produced, acted and written show. Great scenery, and the culture of every day Italians, good or bad, upper class, communist, fascist, such depth of characters, and burgeoning female strength and power, at a time when that definitely was not much of a thing.

I so enjoy these little going out these little windows to take a view into Italian life, some of which was so very familiar to me insofar as things carried on here when people came over; little change, the people and characters are so familiar. And it reminds me of conversations on the boards, past trips and hopefully future trips.

Tell me about the other shows, please. I'll need to know what to queue up next 🙂 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I have a feeling I may have sampled Don Matteo and not continued–was it a Sicilian Mafia thing?

Definitely not, by the sound of this short description I read on MHz:

"For the uninitiated, Don Matteo is a featherweight ensemble crime series—unashamedly light-hearted, comic and with a grand worldview. It’s got dramatic moments, but the episodes end up striking a positive note with Don Matteo saying something hopeful/redemptive to the perp as he or she is about to be hauled off. Formulaic? Sure—it’s serial television!  The stories will not leave you sweating out the ending. So if an ensemble dramedy about a crime-solving priest interests you—pull up a chair! Oh, and the episodes are filmed in north Umbria—in and around two of Italy’s most gorgeous medieval towns: Gubbio and Spoleto. Sure beats a studio set and gives the series texture and authenticity."

I hadn't heard of it before, but the bolded parts caught my eye. I like my crime stories a little less noir than some, and I love Umbria; have spent time in both Gubbio and Spoleto.

There are already a number of seasons available, which I also like.  Think I'll give it a try.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 8:46 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Gubbio and Spoleto. Sure beats a studio set and gives the series texture and authenticity."

Ooh, this does sound interesting. I had an older neighbor who was from Gubbio, and one day he left the park and then returned with this gorgeous, vintage photo and history book of Gubbio he brought back from a visit to show me and gave it to me to keep. 

I went through it right away and couldn't believe what I saw in the images... why didn't more people know about this place in Italy? I couldn't believe what a discovery it was and such a treat to get the book. 

I like a serial show, and it doesn't always have to be intensely noir for believable story value. I started back up with the original Law & Order and while I miss Lenny Briscoe and Curtis, different times, the light sarcasm and jokes, and keeping it simple made it something to relax to. 

• Like 2

I, too, like Briscoe & Curtis...

Another oldie Italy show was the one that Mario Battali did - I learned about getting a panini at the Autogrill when filling up the car with gas.  I think it was in the late 90s.  

Watched Roadrunner last night.  Wasn't sure I could do it - I am still sad at Anthony Bourdain's passing.  It got pretty raw and emotional at the end.  I could imagine a deliberate overdose, but hanging?  That was dreadful.  Imagine Eric Ripert discovering that.  While really sad, it was worth watching.  It puts out a strong message that everyone needs to help one another anytime you think someone needs help.  

Back on a more light note:  CNN apparently has another series starting May 1 - Nomad.  Another travel-food-fashion show.  The guy is a sommelier and chef.  I'll give it a try. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I thought about this after our liquor store closed last night (all closed on Sundays):  I should have bought the makings for a Spritz Veneziano for tonight!!!  

Luckily I have the makings of an aperol spritz,  not sure if the Venetian version is different. We celebrated spritz o’clock there. 

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Luckily I have the makings of an aperol spritz,  not sure if the Venetian version is different. We celebrated spritz o’clock there. 

I have my prosecco chilling in the fridge (one of my gratuities this winter at work).  And I picked up an assortment of Italian salumi, crackers, cheeses and olives for my own cichetti.   As for the spritz, I think it is the use of prosecco instead of another white or bubbly.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

When we were last in Venice we were introduced to Select Aperitivo which is made in Venice. It was quite nice and very similar to Aperol but it depended on the bartender how good it tasted, but I find that with Aperol Spritz as well.

• Like 1

Well now I want to go back even more,  we were to be flying out tomorrow for Venice  But postponed.    Enjoyed the show,  we have eaten in many of the locations,  love the seafood and have eaten on Mezzorbo twice.  Also highly recommend the Fruili region, very undiscovered and great food.   We also did a tour in the lagoon to the family fishing lodges, a whole different world.  

I am wondering what the scampi cross was.  DH had mantis shrimp which sent our DS into a lecture mode,  he had been corresponding with a professor about these amazing shrimp that can break aquariums with shock waves and can see in more colour than we can.  

EFA768C0-0617-4DA9-B920-E5824BCBE59A.jpeg

D0F021EE-5039-4A43-8BD9-488B857782FF.jpeg

• Like 1