For all of the Scuba-divers out there - please advise.

Good morning all,

My family and I will be on the Symphony and will be docking at Cozumel/Costa Maya and Roatan. We are all qualified divers but not hugely experienced. I would say novice to intermediate.

In your experience where is the best diving? We do not want to have to travel hours far from where Royal docks.

Many thanks in advance for any insight you may have, Happy cruising!

6 hours ago, Lisacfletcher2009 said:

Good morning all,

My family and I will be on the Symphony and will be docking at Cozumel/Costa Maya and Roatan. We are all qualified divers but not hugely experienced. I would say novice to intermediate.

In your experience where is the best diving? We do not want to have to travel hours far from where Royal docks.

Many thanks in advance for any insight you may have, Happy cruising!

I have never dove in Costa Maya (is it even offered?) and haven't been to Rotan yet. I have dove in Cozumel. I booked the dive through RCI. We met the dive crew at the pier and walked to their boat a short distance away. I can't remember the name of the tour operator but the diving was very good.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have never dove in Costa Maya (is it even offered?) and haven't been to Rotan yet. I have dove in Cozumel. I booked the dive through RCI. We met the dive crew at the pier and walked to their boat a short distance away. I can't remember the name of the tour operator but the diving was very good.

Thanks very much - I have seen great reviews for both Cozumel and Roatan - We probably won't be disapoointed with either of them - certainly beats a day at work!

My family has gone diving in Roatan at west end divers. Their website has info on cruise ship excursions. They explored a reef that is the next biggest to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Loved the trip and found all staff to be very helpful. They will have a car pick you up and bring you back to ship. They are going back there in April!

• Thanks 1

There's a Scuba sub-forum just below, where there are always great recommendations for which dive shops to use when in ports.

During COVID and coming out of the pandemic with limited sailings, cruise lines have been canceling scuba excursions, leaving divers scrambling to find back up diving opportunities. I would recommend booking through a third-party, or directly with a dive shop, for the foreseeable future.

I'm on the same Symphony itinerary in August, and I would also consider myself a Novice/Intermediate diver. For Costa Maya and Roatan, I booked through Shore Excursions Group, as I've never dived at either port. Cozumel diving is some of the best in the world, and you almost can't go wrong with any of the dive operators there. I've been using Dive Paradise, as they are located not far from the cruise terminal (opposite the Wyndham, it's only about an $8 cab ride), and they have a 10:00 a.m. Express Boat just for cruise passengers. 

Edited by bruzin_for_a_cruizin
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

There's a Scuba sub-forum just below, where there are always great recommendations for which dive shops to use when in ports.

During COVID and coming out of the pandemic with limited sailings, cruise lines have been canceling scuba excursions, leaving divers scrambling to find back up diving opportunities. I would recommend booking through a third-party, or directly with a dive shop, for the foreseeable future.

I'm on the same Symphony itinerary in August, and I would also consider myself a Novice/Intermediate diver. For Costa Maya and Roatan, I booked through Shore Excursions Group, as I've never dived at either port. Cozumel diving is some of the best in the world, and you almost can't go wrong with any of the dive operators there. I've been using Dive Paradise, as they are located not far from the cruise terminal (opposite the Wyndham, it's only about an $8 cab ride), and they have a 10:00 a.m. Express Boat just for cruise passengers. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with your knowledge. If we only did one of either Roatan or Cozumel which do you think would better for our experience? Have a great cruise by the way!

Just now, Lisacfletcher2009 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with your knowledge. If we only did one of either Roatan or Cozumel which do you think would better for our experience? Have a great cruise by the way!

I've not yet been to Roatan, but I've dived Cozumel 3 times and loved it every time. If it were *me* and could only dive one, I would dive Cozumel.
Not only because I know the diving will be great, but because there really isn't much else to do in Cozumel! If you've been to the beach clubs and the resorts, and ridden a scooter all around the island, and taken the ferry to PDC and shopped the downtown area, you've pretty much seen all there is in Cozumel. I've not been to Roatan, so I'd like to explore the island a bit.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

I've not yet been to Roatan, but I've dived Cozumel 3 times and loved it every time. If it were *me* and could only dive one, I would dive Cozumel.
Not only because I know the diving will be great, but because there really isn't much else to do in Cozumel! If you've been to the beach clubs and the resorts, and ridden a scooter all around the island, and taken the ferry to PDC and shopped the downtown area, you've pretty much seen all there is in Cozumel. I've not been to Roatan, so I'd like to explore the island a bit.

Yes that makes a lot of sense - many thanks.

I've dove  a few time in Cozumel with

https://www.sanddollarsports.com/

They are just north of the International cruise pier, lower level below the Sunset Bar and Restaurant and within an easy walk distance from the that pier. Both shore and boat dive are possible. Shore dives offer anytime the dive shop is open flexibility as a dive guide isn't necessary. Also non-divers can snorkel from shore for free if eating or drinking at the restaurant which has outdoor beach tables area. There is some decent coral and other shallow underwater items easily accessible from the rocky shore here and there is a concrete steps entry into the water.

Below is our ship, Navigator OTS,  which is behind Radiance and the shore viewed from that location.

P1300944.JPG

Edited by robtulipe
  • Thanks 1

I'd vote for Cozumel, if you haven't been drift diving on Palacar, you should 🙂

I'd recommend  Scuba with Alison.  Small boat experience, you don't have to worry about who your going to get for a crew / guide, you get Alison.  While I've been certified a long time, I don't dive often enough where I consider myself "comfortable" on the first dive.  She was great, there are so few people on the boat, you don't have to worry about the personal level of service. It's a quick taxi ride up to meet her boat.

Very devoted following, the reviews speak for themselves:  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d595526-Reviews-Scuba_with_Alison-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roatan is great for all level divers. Great reefs are so close to shore that our boat docked back at the pier in between dives (that was a first for me). Also, you don't need to go very deep to see amazing things.

I haven't dived Cozumel (only snorkeled) but I have heard their best dives are the drift dives which beginners are not always comfortable with.

• Thanks 1

Got both of kids PADI certified when they turn 10, they're 29 & 26 now.

So our family of 4 always dives Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Jamaica, & Grand Cayman when cruising out of Galveston, & other Carib islands when out of Florida.

No diving outa Costa Maya yet,  Just relaxing on the beach or shop there...

• Thanks 1

Roatan is absolutely amazing. You have 100 foot walls less than 100 yards from shore. If it is relatively calm, the snorkeling is amazing with some of the best coral reefs in the world. Stayed 2 weeks on Roatan and highly recommend it. Winds tend to be calmer in the morning (and tend to get pop-up showers around 1-3pm) so plan to go in the morning. Not sure if they are still around, but check out Blue Island Divers on Sandy Bay. Really good people. From their place, between or after dives you can just swim out to the reef (lots of big rays, turtles, squid, etc.). 

• Thanks 1

I've done diving with both RCI shore excursions, and privately arranged dive trips from a good number of Caribbean ports.  RCI shore excursions offer the benefit of sufficient time between docking and excursion departure, a tour leader to direct divers to the boat, and guaranteed return to the ship prior to sailing.  I've found the RCI excursions to be somewhat less personal, somewhat more crowded, the diver experience level somewhat lower, and the dive guide experience level somewhat higher.  

The RCI excursion operators tend to expect divers to need a bit more help, and are somewhat more hands-on in dive prep than I need. 

The independent operators can also provide that degree of interaction if requested / needed, but tend to cater to a more experienced crowd.  

RCI excursion dives tend to have somewhat less bottom time, and the divers tend to bunch up more simply due to diver experience level.

All operators have provided a very safe dive experience, and comprehensive dive briefings.

With independent operators, most dive boats have departed at 9:00AM, and obtaining transport to the dive shop has occasionally been trying, if not outright impossible.  

Two-tank morning dives are the rule with both RCI excursions and independent operators.

Independent operators occasionally can add a single tank afternoon experience when all-aboard is 5PM or later (YMMV, but please don't miss the boat).

Personal preference from your list: 1.  Roataan, 2. Coz, 3. Mahahual.  With your stated experience level, please try for RCI shore excursions if at all possible.  Otherwise, I've found Trip Advisor very helpful in finding the highest rated Local Dive Shops.  Expect to exchange correspondence with the LDS, regarding experience, dive equipment, transportation, schedule.  Register and pay online for the independent excursion to save time during the dive. 

For both types, anticipate 15% of the dive package cost as a tip.

Edited by gmerick
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:24 PM, ccm02339 said:

My family has gone diving in Roatan at west end divers. Their website has info on cruise ship excursions. They explored a reef that is the next biggest to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Loved the trip and found all staff to be very helpful. They will have a car pick you up and bring you back to ship. They are going back there in April!

Thank you very much - I have sent them an email. Have a great day and thanks for responding 

22 hours ago, robtulipe said:

I've dove  a few time in Cozumel with

https://www.sanddollarsports.com/

They are just north of the International cruise pier, lower level below the Sunset Bar and Restaurant and within an easy walk distance from the that pier. Both shore and boat dive are possible. Shore dives offer anytime the dive shop is open flexibility as a dive guide isn't necessary. Also non-divers can snorkel from shore for free if eating or drinking at the restaurant which has outdoor beach tables area. There is some decent coral and other shallow underwater items easily accessible from the rocky shore here and there is a concrete steps entry into the water.

Below is our ship, Navigator OTS,  which is behind Radiance and the shore viewed from that location.

P1300944.JPG

Great info - many thanks for helping.

22 hours ago, wake74 said:

I'd vote for Cozumel, if you haven't been drift diving on Palacar, you should 🙂

I'd recommend  Scuba with Alison.  Small boat experience, you don't have to worry about who your going to get for a crew / guide, you get Alison.  While I've been certified a long time, I don't dive often enough where I consider myself "comfortable" on the first dive.  She was great, there are so few people on the boat, you don't have to worry about the personal level of service. It's a quick taxi ride up to meet her boat.

Very devoted following, the reviews speak for themselves:  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d595526-Reviews-Scuba_with_Alison-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Brilliant - thank you very much

20 hours ago, gmerick said:

I've done diving with both RCI shore excursions, and privately arranged dive trips from a good number of Caribbean ports.  RCI shore excursions offer the benefit of sufficient time between docking and excursion departure, a tour leader to direct divers to the boat, and guaranteed return to the ship prior to sailing.  I've found the RCI excursions to be somewhat less personal, somewhat more crowded, the diver experience level somewhat lower, and the dive guide experience level somewhat higher.  

The RCI excursion operators tend to expect divers to need a bit more help, and are somewhat more hands-on in dive prep than I need. 

The independent operators can also provide that degree of interaction if requested / needed, but tend to cater to a more experienced crowd.  

RCI excursion dives tend to have somewhat less bottom time, and the divers tend to bunch up more simply due to diver experience level.

All operators have provided a very safe dive experience, and comprehensive dive briefings.

With independent operators, most dive boats have departed at 9:00AM, and obtaining transport to the dive shop has occasionally been trying, if not outright impossible.  

Two-tank morning dives are the rule with both RCI excursions and independent operators.

Independent operators occasionally can add a single tank afternoon experience when all-aboard is 5PM or later (YMMV, but please don't miss the boat).

Personal preference from your list: 1.  Roataan, 2. Coz, 3. Mahahual.  With your stated experience level, please try for RCI shore excursions if at all possible.  Otherwise, I've found Trip Advisor very helpful in finding the highest rated Local Dive Shops.  Expect to exchange correspondence with the LDS, regarding experience, dive equipment, transportation, schedule.  Register and pay online for the independent excursion to save time during the dive. 

For both types, anticipate 15% of the dive package cost as a tip.

You are a star! Thank you for giving up your time to help us out - all great advice which I will definitely benefit form. 

Cozumel is the best in my opinion. Costa Maya water is often not as clear and Roatan farther from the ship to scuba. There are excursions in Cozumel that will pick you up on a boat right in front of the ship. 

• Thanks 1