A plea for an April 2024 eclipse cruise

marne-c

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

On August 9th (elite booking day) I will be booking this cruise:

=================================================

April 3, 2024
10 Day Mexico with Full Eclipse
Discovery Princess

I won't be elite until next February but I'm gonna email my TA right now to book this for us on the 10th! I didn't even look at this on the list she posted yesterday. I was looking at the Panama Canal cruises. SO excited for this one now!

10 minutes ago, Thrak said:

April 3, 2024
Discovery Princess

Yay!  I finally get to meet you!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

I traveled to my favorite lakeside forest service campground that just happened to be...

We flew to Nebraska for it and were just lucky enough for the clouds to clear for totality. So exciting. 

We are one cruise shy of elite so I hope ya'll don't take all the cabins before I get one! 😀 

1 minute ago, cruisetilidrop said:

Is it one the website yet? I don't see it.

No. It was included in a list of upcoming cruises posted here on CC a week or so back. It will be available for Elite members to book on August 9th and for others on August 10th.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MJC said:

We flew to Nebraska for it and were just lucky enough for the clouds to clear for totality. So exciting. 

We are one cruise shy of elite so I hope ya'll don't take all the cabins before I get one! 😀 

I won't be elite until next Feb. I even booked a 5-day solo to get there before any of our big cruises we want to do over the next two years. Haha! So my TA will be booking it for us on the 10th too. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

April 3, 2024
Discovery Princess

Get in line buddy! 😁 My TA is on the east coast. He's primed and ready!

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Haha 1

I have a feeling that, when this cruise is actually posted for booking, it may well be way overpriced. Hopefully not but it's hard to imagine a marketing person (J. P.) passing up the chance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have a feeling that, when this cruise is actually posted for booking, it may well be way overpriced. Hopefully not but it's hard to imagine a marketing person (J. P.) passing up the chance.

Here's a screenshot of a file Coral posted with the launch pricing. Doesn't look like they're charging a premium for the 10 day based on a per day comparison to the other two itineraries.

image.thumb.png.1fef1f697194a6e94e594d3ad122cd0e.png

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

April 3, 2024
Discovery Princess

And so will I. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

April 3, 2024
Discovery Princess

We will be booking this sailing as well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisetilidrop said:

Any success booking? Anyone do a mini suite? Price range?

I did get it booked.  Too bad I am all out of FCDs but should be getting some soon while on my next cruise.  The mini suites start at $2150 pp with Princess Plus.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I did get it booked.  Too bad I am all out of FCDs but should be getting some soon while on my next cruise.  The mini suites start at $2150 pp with Princess Plus.  

I’m out of FCD as well. I usually buy 2and have 2 future cruises scheduled. Who knew I’d be worried about scheduling in 2024. Thanks for info. Price is not bad.

Just now, cruisetilidrop said:

I’m out of FCD as well. I usually buy 2and have 2 future cruises scheduled. Who knew I’d be worried about scheduling in 2024. Thanks for info. Price is not bad.

That's like me and we've booked so many cruises through the end of the year and even one for 2023 that I ran out.  I bought two pairs on our June cruise and have already spent them all.  Oh darn!  

31 minutes ago, cruisetilidrop said:

While I can’t buy until tomorrow, I see we are in port and not at sea on the 8th. I’ve read where if it is cloudy the captain will maneuver to give the ship the best viewing. This will not be possible if we are in port.

I noticed that too. Maybe we can collectively pressure them to change it to scenic sailing. I would gladly give up a port to do that.

1 minute ago, rheathslc said:

I noticed that too. Maybe we can collectively pressure them to change it to scenic sailing. I would gladly give up a port to do that.

If I am seeing the correct thing, the eclipse will take place about 6pm, after sail away.

1 hour ago, cruisetilidrop said:

Any success booking? Anyone do a mini suite? Price range?

I can't actually book until tomorrow but my TA sent me the price. $2749pp for a club-class mini-suite with Princess Plus plus $150 in taxes and port fees. Which is so low. We're on a 7-day Alaska now in September and taxes and port fees are $450pp. 🤯

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Level six said:

If I am seeing the correct thing, the eclipse will take place about 6pm, after sail away.

Hopefully that hour is enough to maneuver around any clouds but I'd prefer to leave port earlier and have more time to reposition if necessary. I've never been to Mazatlán. Do they get the day time onshore winds and low coastal cloud cover like some other coastal cities?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

Hopefully that hour is enough to maneuver around any clouds but I'd prefer to leave port earlier and have more time to reposition if necessary. I've never been to Mazatlán. Do they get the day time onshore winds and low coastal cloud cover like some other coastal cities?

Eclipse day is April 8, 2024!

Mazatlan is very well-placed, and will be an excellent place to see totality! The total eclipse begins just before 12:07:30pm MDT, and people in the downtown area will see about 4m 15s of totality.

• Like 1