Testing Requirements for European Cruises?

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I wonder how the required testing for US passengers will be handled when disembarking in Rome.  It's my understanding that we need a negative test within 1 day of flight departure.  SO, does this mean that we must stay an extra day in Rome and have a test done in Rome when we disembark?  Or will there be testing on the ship the day before we disembark so that we can fly home the same day?

On hold with RCCL now as I type this...

4 minutes ago, blonde375 said:

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I wonder how the required testing for US passengers will be handled when disembarking in Rome.  It's my understanding that we need a negative test within 1 day of flight departure.  SO, does this mean that we must stay an extra day in Rome and have a test done in Rome when we disembark?  Or will there be testing on the ship the day before we disembark so that we can fly home the same day?

On hold with RCCL now as I type this...

I'm pretty much sure that nobody knows yet. However, if this is still a requirement at the time, there is a testing facility at Rome Airport so you could conceivably go straight to the airport and have it done there.

• Like 2

FionaMG, thanks, that did cross my mind, but considering the flight departs at 12:50pm, I'm concerned about getting off the ship, transferred to the airport, through security and so on in order to make that flight and have time to test and get a result.

RCCL has stated they do not have answers at this time and that passengers who are booked will receive info via email as things are updated.

While I understand that things are ever changing, it doesn't make it easy to plan and purchase airfare, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blonde375 said:

the flight departs at 12:50pm

Indeed. In normal times you would have been fine but I can totally understand your concern. Hopefully that testing requirement will have been dropped by the time you fly home. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blonde375 said:

FionaMG, thanks, that did cross my mind, but considering the flight departs at 12:50pm, I'm concerned about getting off the ship, transferred to the airport, through security and so on in order to make that flight and have time to test and get a result.

RCCL has stated they do not have answers at this time and that passengers who are booked will receive info via email as things are updated.

While I understand that things are ever changing, it doesn't make it easy to plan and purchase airfare, etc.

You could prebuy a test that has online protectoring and sends you a certificate in email and then buy internet the last day on the ship and take the test then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

You could prebuy a test that has online protectoring and sends you a certificate in email and then buy internet the last day on the ship and take the test then.

This is our current plan if testing is required since the last day is a sea day and air2sea moved our flight up to 11:30. 

I am sure RCL will have any VAX requirements for flying home (to the US) covered if the air was booked through Air2Sea. Otherwise how could one possible make a 12 noon flight and also take a test at an unfamiliar airport where you do not speak the language.

tp

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I'm pretty much sure that nobody knows yet. However, if this is still a requirement at the time, there is a testing facility at Rome Airport so you could conceivably go straight to the airport and have it done there.

Fiona, do you know if that's available for arriving passengers and on Sundays?

36 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Fiona, do you know if that's available for arriving passengers and on Sundays?

It appears to be although they do say they give priority to departing passengers. There's no indication of it not being open on a Sunday, so I'm guessing that means it is.

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en/test-areas-at-the-airport

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It appears to be although they do say they give priority to departing passengers. There's no indication of it not being open on a Sunday, so I'm guessing that means it is.

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en/test-areas-at-the-airport

Thank you, our plan was to go straight to Civataveccia and stay locally the day before departure . As the cruise finishes in Spain, if the rule is 24 hours before for test we will have to have it either at the airport on arrival or Civataveccia on a Sunday. Alternatively we could change our flight to later and test morning of flight in UK.  But guess no point in deciding until we know the protocols 

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

But guess no point in deciding until we know the protocols 

I know, it's a real pain. I'm still waiting to find out ours for Rome for the 7th of May. If it's going to be one day before, we'll have to get it done there as we're flying out on the 5th. If it's two, we might just manage to get it done at our home departure airport before checking in for our flight. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 6:44 AM, FionaMG said:

I would so like this to be the case. I want to be excited about my upcoming cruise but I can't because of that nagging idea that it could be scuppered by a positive test. 🙁

Me too! I appreciate the reason for the testing is for health and safety.  But I have 2 weeks in Europe before boarding Odyssey so it's nervewracking to think that things could go sideways while I'm in Europe and won't be able to board.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, PumpkinPatches said:

HAL is not requiring embarkation testing.... I'm curious if the other lines will follow suit.

That is not true.  They are still requiring testing, you just don't have to pay for it.  It will be complimentary at the embarkation port.  

FAQ for Cruises from Europe (hollandamerica.com)

1 hour ago, PumpkinPatches said:

But I have 2 weeks in Europe before boarding Odyssey so it's nervewracking to think that things could go sideways while I'm in Europe and won't be able to board.

We are also in Spain for a week prior to departure on Wonder, and I have the same worry as well. 😬

• Like 1

23 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

That is our plan if testing to return to the US is still in place come June. I am waiting to see if the iHealth tests will suffice - we have a good supply of those and I think proctored test service is $20/pp.

I am also optimistically hoping the testing requirement to return to the US will be dropped by then...fingers crossed.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

That is not true.  They are still requiring testing, you just don't have to pay for it.  It will be complimentary at the embarkation port.  

FAQ for Cruises from Europe (hollandamerica.com)

Oh yikes... they must have changed their policy.  A week or so ago, I received an email from them saying there would be no testing above what is already required to get into the country.

Thanks for the update.  This just goes to show how quickly things change.

3 hours ago, PumpkinPatches said:

Oh yikes... they must have changed their policy.  A week or so ago, I received an email from them saying there would be no testing above what is already required to get into the country.

Thanks for the update.  This just goes to show how quickly things change.

Also in browsing the NCL Europe protocols on their site, I am seeing the same thing - embarkation antigen test at the pier.  Might be the standard we end up seeing from RCL.  I would almost prefer doing it myself a day or two before boarding to spare the last minute disappointment….

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Edit:  Appears Princess is the same (updated on 4/5).  Test no more than one day in advance (they do mention accepting accept outside tests) and complimentary antigen tests at the pier “for your convenience”  

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

starting to think RCL is just slow to post what is apparently the EU standard

Edited by Fairsailing
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Current standard perhaps but IMO no cruise line should determine in April, what is appropriate for the entire European season. 

I agree but it looks like it is the relevant governments, not the lines, that are setting the rules.  

50 minutes ago, rfs7306 said:

Will it be complimentary?

It appears so, and given that it is “pay for your own” in the US, it may have been forced on the cruise lines by the EU. Saves my family $120 for testing.  But I still don’t think it’s worth the possibility of a last minute boarding denial due to positive test.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MLAW said:

If this turns out to be the requirement, I will definitely get tested myself before flying to Europe.  

It would be interesting to do a poll on this. How many people are willing to come from North America this summer to sail in Europe if a preboarding test is required in the 24 or 48 hours before. 

Edited by Billy Baltic

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

It would be interesting to do a poll on this. How many people are willing to come from North America this summer to sail in Europe if a preboarding test is required in the 24 or 48 hours before.

And would be interesting to see the reverse, how many people are currently willing to travel from Europe to North America to sail with the pre boarding requirements ? 

Speaking as someone currently on the Grandeur as a family, and having had 10 Covid tests to get here (and another 4 tomorrow to get off !). Due to fly back to the UK on Monday.

5 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I would. You'll never get me on a ship that has no mask, no distancing and no tests. 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1