Testing Requirements for European Cruises?

I know nothing has been announced, but what is your speculation on whether testing would be required for European cruises this spring? The CDC covers US waters, not European. Flying in from North America with time zone changes and a night pre-cruise means I would need to test before I leave then once again in Europe prior to boarding.

4 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

I know nothing has been announced, but what is your speculation on whether testing would be required for European cruises this spring? The CDC covers US waters, not European. Flying in from North America with time zone changes and a night pre-cruise means I would need to test before I leave then once again in Europe prior to boarding.

We should know very soon as the first cruise is April 15th. They say the protocols will be out at least 30 days before.

I would fully expect testing to still be required. Even in Britain, where the UK government lifted all legal Covid restrictions last month, the cruise lines are still insisting on testing (although at least they provide and pay for it).

• Like 1

We’re cruising from Italy (Celebrity) in May and I’m expecting the testing protocol to be in place in order to board the ship. At least Italy has removed the testing requirements for flying over. At least for now. Personally I think a lot depends on how things are looking virus wise. Can change at a moments notice. I do think that they will move to three days out in place of two which would be great. 

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

We’re cruising from Italy (Celebrity) in May and I’m expecting the testing protocol to be in place in order to board the ship. At least Italy has removed the testing requirements for flying over. At least for now. Personally I think a lot depends on how things are looking virus wise. Can change at a moments notice. I do think that they will move to three days out in place of two which would be great. 

We agree.  Several countries have dropped the test before entry requirement.  The UK, Germany, Italy, and Spain are some that we know of, pretty sure there are more.

Not really answering your question but a ship left the UK for the Caribbean a couple of weeks ago and has returned mid Atlantic due to a covid outbreak. The cruise is for over 55s only and each pax was chauffeured to the ship and tested before departure. Everyone was fully vaxxed 

BBC News - Covid: Saga Spirit of Adventure cruise returns to Southampton after outbreak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-60668874

Edited by sgmn
  • Thanks 1

Testing before boarding is a waste of time.  All it does is indicate that you don't have a certain viral load at that point in time. It’s a veneer to give the impression of being ultra cautious. If cruise lines were really concerned about Covid there would be testing every day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Testing before boarding is a waste of time.  All it does is indicate that you don't have a certain viral load at that point in time. It’s a veneer to give the impression of being ultra cautious. If cruise lines were really concerned about Covid there would be testing every day. 

But helps us all Feel safe. Psychological is a biggie when getting everything back to normal. Even post 9/11 wasn't until Summer 2002 before this happened, Ships were not even Full in May when I Cruised. Usually fly in 2 days b4, would be nice going back to testing 3 instead

I'm hoping the testing requirements are gone, but not expecting this to be the case.

What I'm mostly hoping for is a relaxation of the rules regarding 12 year olds and their need for fully vaccinated status for European cruises. We're travelling with our now 11 year old on a July Voyager of the Seas cruise, and he will be 12 in April, which leaves it logistically very tight to have him vaccinated twice in time for the cruise. We're reticent to cancel the cruise unless we have to, as we have substantial Future Cruise Credits against this, which have a 31 December 2022 sail by date. I've phoned RCL to ask whether our FCCs would be extended if we cancelled, and he said he didn't know, which wasn't very helpful! I've also e-mailed them the same question (2 weeks ago) but have had no reply.

Honestly, I hope they keep the testing through this season.  

It's not that hard to do, and it seems every sailing it at least catches some cases and keeps those off the ships and from spreading further.  

And I really hope they do not relax the vaccination rules for kids (or anyone else).  I know that stinks for folks from the UK, but gosh just about everywhere else is vaccinating 5 and up and has been for months and really the Brits with kids just turning 12 is a tiny percentage of cruisers overall....better to work with those few families to reschedule at later dates than to have some big outbreak onboard, or an unvaccinated tween getting really sick from a case caught on board.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

And I really hope they do not relax the vaccination rules for kids (or anyone else).  I know that stinks for folks from the UK, but gosh just about everywhere else is vaccinating 5 and up and has been for months and really the Brits with kids just turning 12 is a tiny percentage of cruisers overall....better to work with those few families to reschedule at later dates than to have some big outbreak onboard, or an unvaccinated tween getting really sick from a case caught on board.

If RCL let us extend the FCC deadline so that we don't lose them, then I agree with you. If they don't let us, and we lose approx £2000, then I don't agree with you!

Either way, I don't know why a negative pre departure test isn't sufficient anyway, but I appreciate that's a wider debate!

• Like 2

Just now, colsky said:

If RCL let us extend the FCC deadline so that we don't lose them, then I agree with you. If they don't let us, and we lose approx £2000, then I don't agree with you!

Either way, I don't know why a negative pre departure test isn't sufficient anyway, but I appreciate that's a wider debate!

Oh I defintely think they should let you extend your FCC under the circumstances!  I hve friends in the UK and i know it has been sooooo frustrating for you all with kids and this ultra slow roll out.  Ugh.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

I would fully expect testing to still be required. Even in Britain, where the UK government lifted all legal Covid restrictions last month, the cruise lines are still insisting on testing (although at least they provide and pay for it).

MSC are currently not providing or paying, you have to get your own but they have recently switched to allowing lateral flow test (with certificate) instead of PCR.

44 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

But helps us all Feel safe. Psychological is a biggie when getting everything back to normal. Even post 9/11 wasn't until Summer 2002 before this happened, Ships were not even Full in May when I Cruised. Usually fly in 2 days b4, would be nice going back to testing 3 instead

I don’t think it’s worthwhile to make people ‘feel safe’. If it’s dangerous, then treat it as dangerous and take every precaution. If it’s not then just forget it.
We’re booked on a b2b out of Barcelona on Wonder. We won’t make a final decision on going until we know the testing and masking requirements. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Oh I defintely think they should let you extend your FCC under the circumstances!  I hve friends in the UK and i know it has been sooooo frustrating for you all with kids and this ultra slow roll out.  Ugh.  

Its just so difficult trying to contact RCL to get an answer about FCCs (or anything really). They don't answer e-mails, and their people on the phones don't seem to know much!!

Its awkward when the UK has different vaccination policies to many other countries. At least we don't want to go on a Disney cruise at the moment, as I don't think that's possible for UK families with small kids, as they require everyone over 5 to be fully vaccinated!

• Like 1

Think about this.  90% of the USA do not need a mask on based on guidelines, but if you get on a city bus, you must put it on.  The reason?  Because the President said so.  Makes no sense, but the point is a politician makes one rule, and the health departments of the country (CDC, WHO or anything else) make other rules.  Another example is the rules for going to Canada is not the same rules for getting on a ship, leaving Canada.  

All rules can change within a week of sailing.  The end of the day, you book the cruise and accept what the rules are.  If you can't accept it, than don't book it

It’s hard to say what the rules will be.   Especially since many countries the cruises leave from and visit have dropped the requirement to test before traveling to the country (if you are vaccinated).  

We have a med cruise leaving from Barcelona booked for August.  My plan if we need to be tested is to order some tests from a company here in Canada that does them via “teleheath”.   We have used them when traveling to the US.  We will do them at our hotel in Barcelona before our cruise, and if we still need to test before coming home we will do tests on the ship.  

I’m really hoping there is no testing.  It’s a pain.  But we have a plan if it’s needed.  The teleheath type tests are very easy to so.  You just need an internet connection.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, colsky said:

Its just so difficult trying to contact RCL to get an answer about FCCs (or anything really). They don't answer e-mails, and their people on the phones don't seem to know much!!

I've heard people get better response on Royal Caribbeans face book pages . Problem is if they haven't finalised their rules yet no-one can give you an answer.  I think they should at least offer to extend or refund fcc's if you can't travel due young children. Perhaps Anthem out of Southampton will have less restrictive rules than other European ports but will still have to be bound by rules of the ports they stop at. Think last summer they were testing young children again at the port 

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I wouldn´t call it a waste of time. It reduces the risk but not down to 0. I´ve been on a cruise with AIDA recently. AIDA wants an Antigen test not older than one day. In port the do perform a rapid PCR test (you get tested and then continue the check in and go to your cabin waiting there for 90 min). Although all people had a negative Antigen test they still found a handful of positives with the test in port. Of course the PCR test is more sensible than the Antigen test (especially with Omicron). But even with an Antigen test you might "sort out" some positive cases in port.

BTW, so far all big cruise lines here in Europe do tests (either in port or you have to make one ahead of the cruise).

steamboats

• Like 1

Feel the pain with the 11-12 year old dilemma.  My daughter is 11 so our summer cruise is fine but we can't plan anything for Oct or Dec as she will have crossed that 12 year old line in Sept.  

As much as I support vaccinations, it feels odd that the only reason I'd get my daughter vaccinated is to meet cruise rules but that's what I'm looking at.  Particularly as she recovered from omircon last month. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

I don’t think it’s worthwhile to make people ‘feel safe’. If it’s dangerous, then treat it as dangerous and take every precaution. If it’s not then just forget it.
We’re booked on a b2b out of Barcelona on Wonder. We won’t make a final decision on going until we know the testing and masking requirements. 

It's both. As said 9 Months post 9/11 and people still didnt Feel Safe. Though understand as i flew home from Cruise 9/11. Went to Disney next Month when Anthrax scare hit there in Florida and got off Cruise day of Shoe Bomber. Line was out the Door at FLL each time as extensive checks were added to Board Plane. Took long time get people get back to normal. 6 months after all this in May 2022 people still were not Feeling Safe. Cruises were 40-75% Capacity on my Dec, Feb and Apr/May Sailings. Covid people thought and said on here Masking Requirement be forever. The rest, testing/Vax Requirements will end also, sooner then 9/11 scare's

Edited by ONECRUISER

38 minutes ago, dritan said:

As much as I support vaccinations, it feels odd that the only reason I'd get my daughter vaccinated is to meet cruise rules but that's what I'm looking at.  Particularly as she recovered from omircon last month. 

We're the same. I feel slightly selfish getting the children vaccinated purely for holiday reasons, when me and my wife haven't really discussed if we want to get them vaccinated anyway. Both of ours (aged 10 and 11 at the moment) have had Covid twice (both Delta and Omicrom), with very mild cold symptoms at worst. 

2 hours ago, colsky said:

We're travelling with our now 11 year old on a July Voyager of the Seas cruise, and he will be 12 in April, which leaves it logistically very tight to have him vaccinated twice in time for the cruise. 

Logistically speaking you have plenty of time if you get your 12 yr old vaccinated in april with 2nd shot in may they could cruise 14 days after 2nd dose.  Plenty of time to be ready for a July sailing.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Logistically speaking you have plenty of time if you get your 12 yr old vaccinated in april with 2nd shot in may they could cruise 14 days after 2nd dose.  Plenty of time to be ready for a July sailing.

Unfortunately not. In England, unless there are other health issues, you have to leave 12 weeks between 1st and 2nd jabs.