Testing Requirements for European Cruises?

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Think about this.  90% of the USA do not need a mask on based on guidelines, but if you get on a city bus, you must put it on.  The reason?  Because the President said so.  Makes no sense, but the point is a politician makes one rule, and the health departments of the country (CDC, WHO or anything else) make other rules.  Another example is the rules for going to Canada is not the same rules for getting on a ship, leaving Canada.  

All rules can change within a week of sailing.  The end of the day, you book the cruise and accept what the rules are.  If you can't accept it, than don't book it

Just so you know,  the President doesn't say so.  It's up to local government.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Logistically speaking you have plenty of time if you get your 12 yr old vaccinated in april with 2nd shot in may they could cruise 14 days after 2nd dose.  Plenty of time to be ready for a July sailing.

The UK has always had 12 weeks between jabs. Initially to get the first jab into as many peoples arms as quickly as possible but there has been subsequent studies that show a long gap gives better protection 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57929953.amp

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Honestly, I hope they keep the testing through this season.  

It's not that hard to do, and it seems every sailing it at least catches some cases and keeps those off the ships and from spreading further.  

And I really hope they do not relax the vaccination rules for kids (or anyone else).  I know that stinks for folks from the UK, but gosh just about everywhere else is vaccinating 5 and up and has been for months and really the Brits with kids just turning 12 is a tiny percentage of cruisers overall....better to work with those few families to reschedule at later dates than to have some big outbreak onboard, or an unvaccinated tween getting really sick from a case caught on board.

The vaccine doesn’t stop you getting covid or passing it on. It reduces the risk of severe illness and death  So I think it is more important to keep the testing and get rid of the vaccine requirement. After all the boosters are only supposed to give further protection for approx 12 weeks so is everyone going to get vaccinated that often. I think testing is much more reliable way of keeping covid off cruise ships. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agathabumble said:

The vaccine doesn’t stop you getting covid or passing it on. It reduces the risk of severe illness and death  So I think it is more important to keep the testing and get rid of the vaccine requirement. After all the boosters are only supposed to give further protection for approx 12 weeks so is everyone going to get vaccinated that often. I think testing is much more reliable way of keeping covid off cruise ships. 

Vaccines don't fully prevent becoming infected, but vaccinated people are still less likely to become infected and remain contagious for a shorter period of time (how much less varies from variant to variant)  Do, a fully vaccinated group is overall kk ess likely to have an outbreak.

If they stop requiring vaccination anytime soon, we'll be cancelling all of our sailings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Just so you know,  the President doesn't say so.  It's up to local government.  

Nope,  an executive order signed by the president is what requires masks on public transportation

On 3/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, xxHadleyxx said:

Vaccines don't fully prevent becoming infected, but vaccinated people are still less likely to become infected and remain contagious for a shorter period of time (how much less varies from variant to variant)  Do, a fully vaccinated group is overall kk ess likely to have an outbreak.

If they stop requiring vaccination anytime soon, we'll be cancelling all of our sailings.

Same.

Unpopular opinion. As a disabled person (with a previously non disabled partner who has gotten covid twice and is navigating post covid syndrome), the vaccinations and testing are the only reason we feel safe enough to go. We will still be masking too, though I know may be the only ones. We have 4 cruises booked in the next 12 months and really hope they are kept at least through this year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With less than a month until European cruises begin, the Royal Caribbean website is still TBA on testing requirements. Anyone get an email from their TA or directly from the cruise line? Most European countiries have now stopped entry testing for fully vaccinated travelers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Most European countiries have now stopped entry testing for fully vaccinated travelers.

Although the countries have stopped their entry testing requirement doesn´t mean that the cruise lines do. All cruise lines which operated in Europe (Canary Islands and Med) during the winter season still require a pre boarding test as well as masks indoors. Both was a recommendation by the European health authority which was adopted for cruises by all EU countries.

steamboats

• Like 2

I’m expecting the guidelines to be vaxxed with a minimum of a lateral flow test before boarding (likely to remain a PCR test though).

I’d be planning on the requirements to remain the same as currently, as a minimum.

We should know soon though

On 3/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, xxHadleyxx said:

I see the Vax Requirements ending(and no Boosters)before Testing does, those sure ended Fast last month or so in other areas inc Schools/Businesses/Govt's. Many on here thought 100% Masking would be still around, some even talked permanently. Dozen Cruises Planned in 2022-2023 and long as I dont need wear Mask rest doesn't matter to me. But I'm really Happy Crew starting get back normal for them starting going ashore and the Masking ending them also... 

On 3/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, kernow said:

MSC are currently not providing or paying, you have to get your own but they have recently switched to allowing lateral flow test (with certificate) instead of PCR.

Can't board MSC without vacc maximum 270 days before.  My booster will have been more than that so unless they let me postpone I'm stuffed.

13 minutes ago, jantoby said:

I can't find Covid vacc. requirements on the website for cruises starting Barcelona.  Has anybody found it and can post a link, please?

This is what this discussion is about, requirements for Europe are not out yet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

With less than a month until European cruises begin, the Royal Caribbean website is still TBA on testing requirements. Anyone get an email from their TA or directly from the cruise line? Most European countiries have now stopped entry testing for fully vaccinated travelers.

Both Spain and Denmark require a booster if your second jab was more than 270 days ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jantoby said:

Can't board MSC without vacc maximum 270 days before.  My booster will have been more than that so unless they let me postpone I'm stuffed.

I think you're interpreting the requirements incorrectly. The 270 days max is for the initial vaccine. Currently there's not time expiration if you have had a booster shot.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I think you're interpreting the requirements incorrectly. The 270 days max is for the initial vaccine. Currently there's not time expiration if you have had a booster shot.  

To quote MSC website

"All Guests (12 years old and over) have to be fully vaccinated.
Guests are considered fully vaccinated if: 

Within the last 9 months (6 months for Italian Residents) and 14 or more days prior to departure they have completed a full set of vaccine in accordance with local regulations including Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Novavax.  A “mix-and-match” combination of the above list of vaccines is also accepted. Vaccination certificates must be valid for the duration of the entire cruise. "   

My full set of vaccines was completed 10 weeks BEFORE the 9 month period.  As you can see, that means I will not be considered to be fully vaccinated.     It's not only cruise lines that are imposing this rule.  For example, anyone wanting to come into Spain - where I am at the moment - has to have been fully vaccinated within the last 270 days.   So I'm afraid that yes, there is "time expiration if you have had a booster shot."

Yes but "fully vaccinated" in this sense, means having received both vaccines not incuding the booster. Here is what the UK gov site says on the matter on entry requirements into Spain:

Your date(s) of vaccination must be specified and your final dose must have been administered within 270 days prior to travel to Spain. If you completed your vaccination (with both doses of a 2-dose vaccine or one dose of a single-dose vaccine) more than 270 days prior to travel to Spain, you must be able to show proof of having received a booster jab.

Nowhere does it say that the booster has a time expiration. 

• Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

Yes but "fully vaccinated" in this sense, means having received both vaccines not incuding the booster. Here is what the UK gov site says on the matter on entry requirements into Spain:

Your date(s) of vaccination must be specified and your final dose must have been administered within 270 days prior to travel to Spain. If you completed your vaccination (with both doses of a 2-dose vaccine or one dose of a single-dose vaccine) more than 270 days prior to travel to Spain, you must be able to show proof of having received a booster jab.

EXACTLY

58 minutes ago, jantoby said:

To quote MSC website

"All Guests (12 years old and over) have to be fully vaccinated.
Guests are considered fully vaccinated if: 

Within the last 9 months (6 months for Italian Residents) and 14 or more days prior to departure they have completed a full set of vaccine in accordance with local regulations including Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Novavax.  A “mix-and-match” combination of the above list of vaccines is also accepted. Vaccination certificates must be valid for the duration of the entire cruise. "   

My full set of vaccines was completed 10 weeks BEFORE the 9 month period.  As you can see, that means I will not be considered to be fully vaccinated.     It's not only cruise lines that are imposing this rule.  For example, anyone wanting to come into Spain - where I am at the moment - has to have been fully vaccinated within the last 270 days.   So I'm afraid that yes, there is "time expiration if you have had a booster shot."

A full set of vaccine DOES NOT INCLUDE A BOOSTER. That's why it's called a booster shot, not a vaccine shot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Both Spain and Denmark require a booster if your second jab was more than 270 days ago. 

It´s an EU regulation. In Germany you´re not regarded as fully vaccinated either when your second shot is more than 270 days ago. Italy even reduced it to 180 days for Italians (non Italians are o.k. with the 270 days).

steamboats

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

Exactly, currently there it no exiration of the booster (= 3rd shot) in EU countries. Here in Germany only a limited group of people is eligable to get a second booster (= 4th shot) but it´s only recommended not in any way mandatory and the 3rd shot doesn´t expire if you are in that group of eligable people for the 4th one.

steamboats

• Like 1

I have my Rome cruise on 8/8. I fully expect Celebrity to have the 2 day rule still in place. Nothing right now for Italy but previously 1 day rule for antigen. To cover all bars I get rapid antigen noting of 8/6, fly to Rome that afternoon, land early morning of 8/7, spend over night in Rome, board 8/8. All bases covered just in case. I trust nothing these days.going to try to get my FP time reduced . Due 5/19.