ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

I am currently on an 18 day Hawaii cruise which gets back to Vancouver on April 28. Already did arrivecan and got my receipt but have now tested positive (quarantine is a whole new miserable experience!).  Does anyone know if I would need to update arrivecan somehow with my positive status or is that not part of this app (I am Canadian).

From https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

"If you test positive while on your cruise, and the cruise ends in Canada, you will need to complete your isolation in Canada as organized and paid for by the operator."

• Like 1

Yes, you need to update your ArriveCAN submission:

Updating your information

If you haven't entered Canada yet

If you've already submitted your information and have an ArriveCAN receipt, start over in ArriveCAN. ArriveCAN will clear your previous information.

While the changes announced on Friday indicate that vaccinated travellers will no longer have to submit a quarantine plan effective tomorrow, I don't know how that will play out for anyone who is testing positive. I'd suggest that you determine from the ship's staff what arrangements they are making for your quarantine ashore, a requirement imposed on them by the GOC regulations, just in case you need to submit the information.

Finally, with the changes being made to the requirements, a new version of ArriveCAN (v.2.28) will be released tomorrow. Make sure that you have the latest version before submitting your revised

information.

I that hope you get well quickly!

23 minutes ago, Traveltime50 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate it.  Getting any info from on board staff is frustrating as they either don’t know or aren’t willing to say.

Wow, sorry to hear you’re in quarantine with covid.  I hope it’s not with Princess.  There are some pretty unhappy stories over on that board.

10 hours ago, Traveltime50 said:

I am currently on an 18 day Hawaii cruise which gets back to Vancouver on April 28. Already did arrivecan and got my receipt but have now tested positive (quarantine is a whole new miserable experience!).  Does anyone know if I would need to update arrivecan somehow with my positive status or is that not part of this app (I am Canadian).

Sorry to hear that. You're on the Koningsdam.

I don't think you need to update ArrivCan. The ship will inform Public Health Canada, and arrange your isolation hotel. PH Canada will contact you!

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/quarantine-isolate-home.html

Wondering if somebody has a best guess to these questions? We are Canadians on a B2B leaving Vancouver, sailing to Alaska, arriving in Seattle, then Seattle roundtrip on the second week. ArriveCAN asks date of embarkation and also date of arrival. 

Is the date of arrival referring to the date we arrive home back in Canada after our cruise or perhaps our port stop in Victoria the day before Seattle on the second week? Should I maybe enter both weeks separately in ArriveCAN?

Thanks in advance

10 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Sorry to hear that. You're on the Koningsdam.

I don't think you need to update ArrivCan. The ship will inform Public Health Canada, and arrange your isolation hotel. PH Canada will contact you!

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/quarantine-isolate-home.html

Both passengers and ships have responsibilities under the Canadian regs, and while I agree that the ship is required to inform PHC, that doesn't eliminate the OP's responsibility to provide an updated ArriveCAN submission per the instructions I included in post #178 and can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html#a3

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Both passengers and ships have responsibilities under the Canadian regs, and while I agree that the ship is required to inform PHC, that doesn't eliminate the OP's responsibility to provide an updated ArriveCAN submission per the instructions I included in post #178 and can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html#a3

The relevant page is here...

https://covid-contact-details.canada.ca/en/

Unclear if you need to inform PHAC of your quarantine location; since the app no longer asks for Q plan for the vaccinated. Personally, I would wait for Public Health to contact me, and ask the person many questions.

Or, unless I receive specific instructions on the ship!

Edited by HappyInVan

1 minute ago, HappyInVan said:

The relevant page is here...

https://covid-contact-details.canada.ca/en/

Unclear if you need to inform PHAC of your quarantine location; since the app no longer asks for Q plan for the vaccinated. Personally, I would wait for Public Health to contact me, and ask the person many questions.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I would be proactive and provide the update following the instructions on the ArriveCAN webpage, and recommend that the OP do so as well.

Still(!) confused about the (possible) requirement to fill out arrivecan before boarding a vessel in canada (vancouver). I live here so I'm not entering canda, I'm just getting on a cruise ship here, but the transport canada website seems to suggest arrivecan is required. 

I'm looking at the first few pages of the app, and... 

Primary reason for entering canada? I can choose discretionary/optional travel, but again, i'm not entering candad

How are you entering? I can choose entry by marine, but actually it's exit by marine! 

then country of original departure will be canda and date of embarkation is cruise start date, but then port of entry doesn't make sense 'cause this 4 night cruise goes to ketchikan and then ends in seattle! 

silly? not necessary? anyone really know? 

adam 

49 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

Still(!) confused about the (possible) requirement to fill out arrivecan before boarding a vessel in canada (vancouver). I live here so I'm not entering canda, I'm just getting on a cruise ship here, but the transport canada website seems to suggest arrivecan is required. 

Primary reason for entering canada? I can choose discretionary/optional travel, but again, i'm not entering candad

How are you entering? I can choose entry by marine, but actually it's exit by marine! 

then country of original departure will be canda and date of embarkation is cruise start date, but then port of entry doesn't make sense 'cause this 4 night cruise goes to ketchikan and then ends in seattle! 

adam 

Unless the cruise ship is staying entirely in Canadian waters, then you are leaving Canada and then returning to Canada - thus ArriveCAN. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozziebound said:

adam 

Would the reason for entry not be "Canadian citizen or other with right of entry"?

After, (I know it makes no sense), entering a port of entry, and indicating you are on a cruise ship you are asked if the voyage terminates in Canada, say no. Just use the port of embarkation as the port of arrival. It will work.

Out of curiosity, does the itinerary not traverse Canadian waters sailing from Ketchikan to Seattle?

2 hours ago, ByThePond said:

Unless the cruise ship is staying entirely in Canadian waters, then you are leaving Canada and then returning to Canada - thus ArriveCAN. 

Not in all cases. Lots of cruises on both coasts sail from Canada but terminate elsewhere. Vancouver-Hawaii and Montreal-Boston for example.

32 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not in all cases. Lots of cruises on both coasts sail from Canada but terminate elsewhere. Vancouver-Hawaii and Montreal-Boston for example.

Can you answer this question: We are flying from Nova Scotia to Vancouver, going on Serenade of The Seas to Alaska, round trip, I know we need to fill out Arrivecan returning from our cruise, do we need to fill out Arrivecan before we get on the ship

Thanks 🙂

46 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

Can you answer this question: We are flying from Nova Scotia to Vancouver, going on Serenade of The Seas to Alaska, round trip, I know we need to fill out Arrivecan returning from our cruise, do we need to fill out Arrivecan before we get on the ship

Thanks 🙂

The ArriveCAN submission required to board the ship is in fact the one used debarking at the end of the cruise. It's analogous to completing ArriveCAN before boarding a flight to Canada.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

Just wanted to pop back in to say that I didn’t need to update my arrivecan submission due to my positive Covid testing. A kind Holland America customer service manager took my arrivecan receipt number and reported my positive case for me as well as confirmed because they did this for me I didn’t need to update the app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/25/2022 at 8:40 AM, Fouremco said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I would be proactive and provide the update following the instructions on the ArriveCAN webpage, and recommend that the OP do so as well.

Here's something interesting. Looks like we will have to report directly to PHAC regardless of whether the cruise ship reports your case. To alert them that you are going into isolation, where, and that you have arrived...

"Report

Report your arrival at your place of isolation within 48 hours in ArriveCAN or at 1-833-641-0343.

Monitor

• Monitor for symptoms throughout your isolation period.
  • If you receive a positive COVID-19 test result on your on arrival or day 8 test, you must:
    • report within 24 hours to the Public Health Agency of Canada by calling 1-833-641-0343
      • the official will provide you with additional details and instructions"
    • isolate yourself for an additional 10 days, even if your province or territory has a shorter isolation period"

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/travellers-with-symptoms-return-canada.html

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Traveltime50 said:

Just wanted to pop back in to say that I didn’t need to update my arrivecan submission due to my positive Covid testing. A kind Holland America customer service manager took my arrivecan receipt number and reported my positive case for me as well as confirmed because they did this for me I didn’t need to update the app.

Looks like you will still need to confirm that you arrived at your Q hotel. See Post 176 above.

You will get a reminder. Do let us know know how its going? All the best!

Yes hope quarantine isn't too difficult for you! 

Anyone know what the US rules are for quarantine? We're on a sailing for just four night next week (wednesday to sunday) - starts in Vancouver and ends in Seattle. For people who test positive during the cruise, will princess put them up in a hotel in seattle? And for how long? Canada gov website says this: 

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive molecular test result. If travelling by air, you’ll be denied boarding. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

• for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the first day you could use it
  • January 11 would be the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada, or the first day you could use it to enter Canada by land or water

Right, so I've read through this entire thread and appreciate all the helpful info.

Here's my scenario - I fly from Raleigh to Seattle on 5/31 and spend the night there.  I take HAL's transportation on 6/1 to Vancouver and board Zuiderdam.  Since I enter Canada via land, how do I know what to put as my "highway port of entry?"  Will that be Douglas?

I haven't even tried to figure out any testing and the timing involved for that.  Things could change in the next month.

I'm also doing a B2B.  My original plan was to disembark on turnaround day and explore Vancouver, but it seems like that may be a lot of time and effort.  If I don't get off the ship that day, do I need to submit anything?  I fly home from Vancouver (through Seattle) and booked a late afternoon flight, so maybe I'll book some sort of tour to get in some sightseeing.  I'll check on the Vancouver port of call board to see if there are any recommendations.

Thanks!