ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

On 7/11/2022 at 12:26 PM, *Miss G* said:

Just take a screenshot of the confirmation with your tablet so you have access to it without requiring WiFi.  I have never printed an ArriveCAN confirmation; I just show the electronic receipt to whoever needs to see it.

If I can figure out how to take a screenshot from my rather basic tablet I will do so but will also try to get a printed copy.

When we boarded the Queen Elizabeth in Vancouver the passengers who had difficulties at the five check-in areas were those who had relied on their smart devices. A few people were frantically poking, swiping or scratching their heads. Cunard had recommended that all documentation be printed - and insisted on that for the e-ticket and boarding pass, which not everyone did. Those of us who had everything printed just breezed through each stage.

We were on a winter train trip from Halifax to Montreal with my previous tablet. It was basically an amusement. There was a serious delay due to a fatality involving a car at a level crossing which would cause us major problems getting home from Montreal. That one time when I really needed that tablet is when it died, never to work again. None of the four of us had a smartphone but we all had a "stupid phone" and they worked.

The tech-challenged should bring hard copies of whatever documents they require.  Even, then, there will be those who don’t have a clue what documents they require, whether they have smart devices or not.

Edited by *Miss G*

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

The author of that paragraph obviously has an optimistic view of the quality of internet access on cruise ships. From my experience most times it is  very slow or difficult and from time to time it is complete rubbish.

🙂

Cruise ship passengers must present proof of ArriveCAN submission to board.

12 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Can I update my vaccine status photo (pdf) with a new one in ArriveCAN App and if so, how?

Yes. Sign in to app. Select Traveller on the toolbar at the bottom. Select the traveller to be updated. Tap Next until you get to the upload screen.

• Like 1

We are Canadian , flying Sep 2 Toronto to Vancouver 

sep 4 we are getting onto the Eclipse 

flying right back to Toronto from Vancouver after the cruise on the 11

just checking we need Arrivcan to get onto the ship

and off the ship

But not to fly into Vancouver on Sep 2

Thank you

2 minutes ago, 1960Travel said:

We are Canadian , flying Sep 2 Toronto to Vancouver 

sep 4 we are getting onto the Eclipse 

flying right back to Toronto from Vancouver after the cruise on the 11

just checking we need Arrivcan to get onto the ship

and off the ship

But not to fly into Vancouver on Sep 2

Thank you

Just to get on the ship.

When entering by land or air, you need to make your submission within 72 hours prior to entry. When cruising, you need to make your submission within 72 hours prior to boarding a ship destined for Canada. Your actual entry may be days in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

When entering by land or air, you need to make your submission within 72 hours prior to entry. When cruising, you need to make your submission within 72 hours prior to boarding a ship destined for Canada. Your actual entry may be days in the future.

Isn’t the rule for flights within 72 hours of departure of the leg of your trip that arrives in Canada?

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Isn’t the rule for flights within 72 hours of departure of the leg of your trip that arrives in Canada?

Not according to the current ArriveCAN website:

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

IIRC, counting the number of hours before departure of the final leg of a flight to Canada only applied back when you needed to provide a negative test in able to board the flight.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

IIRC, counting the number of hours before departure of the final leg of a flight to Canada only applied back when you needed to provide a negative test in able to board the flight.

Thanks. I guess I just assumed. Incorrectly. At least I asked it as a question. 😁

43 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Thanks. I guess I just assumed. Incorrectly. At least I asked it as a question. 😁

Which is always appreciated! Of course, I’d be shocked to see anything other than a very polite post from you. 😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Not according to the current ArriveCAN website:

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

I’m flying from Toronto to Vancouver to catch an Alaska cruise. Trusting there is a section in ArriveCAN that I select?

If someone can provide a screenshot would be much appreciated. I’m using this App for the first time. Thanks

Edited by DHP1

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I’m flying from Toronto to Vancouver to catch an Alaska cruise. Trusting there is a section in ArriveCAN that I select?

No need to make a submission for the flight, just for your cruise. Even then, only if it's an Alaskan cruise which returns to Canada. 

8 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Yes, when the app asks you for your reason for entering Canada, choose other then 'Entry by Marine'.  Don't forget you need a pre-embarkation covid test.

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, when the app asks you for your reason for entering Canada, choose other then 'Entry by Marine'.  Don't forget you need a pre-embarkation covid test.

This is where I’m confuse. I’m not entry Canada, I’m leaving Canada to USA. I realize I need to complete upon my return back to Canada. Are you saying I don’t need to complete ArriveCAN for leaving Vancouver on a cruise?

Edited by DHP1

2 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

This is where I’m confuse. I’m not entry Canada, I’m leaving Canada to USA. I realize I need to complete upon my return back to Canada. 

Then you're going to have to this twice:

1.  prior to embarking the cruise ship - the cruise related requirement with covid testing;

2.  prior to returning to Canada - in your case, an entirely different event with no need for covid testing.

22 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Then you're going to have to this twice:

1.  prior to embarking the cruise ship - the cruise related requirement with covid testing;

2.  prior to returning to Canada - in your case, an entirely different event with no need for covid testing.

1) Testing I understand to get on the ship. Not a problem.  Do I need to complete ArriveCAN to get on the ship in Vancouver?

2) I realize I need to complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of arriving back in Vancouver. No testing is required. 

Im assuming the below noted statement means- “within 72 hours before embarkment of your cruise”    Does this mean prior to entering back into Canada?

I think I know the answer I’m just looking for clarification. Thanks. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

Use ArriveCAN to enter your information, including proof of vaccination, within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise.  

Edited by DHP1

9 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

1) Testing I understand to get on the ship. Not a problem.  Do I need to complete ArriveCAN to get on the ship in Vancouver?

It may depend on the cruise line. If a cruise ends outside of Canada and does not leave and then re-enter Canada I believe GOC has no requirement to make an ArriveCAN submission. However, there has been at least one post on this board indicating that Viking, (if I recall correctly), requires a submission.

30 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

If someone can provide a screenshot would be much appreciated. I’m using this App for the first time. Thanks

The flight does not need ArriveCan because you are not leaving Canada and then returning during that portion of your trip.  The flight stays in Canada, so no ArriveCan.

The cruise leaves Canada and then returns…assuming that it is a round trip Vancouver cruise?  

If your cruise is round trip Vancouver, then you fill in ArriveCan using the Marine Entry option, submitting in the 72 hours before embarkation.  You will use your embarkation date plus the date and name of the first Canadian port you arrive in AFTER the Alaska portion of the cruise.  You will show that ArriveCan receipt at embarkation for the cruise.

If your cruise is one way, Vancouver to Alaska, then you do not need ArriveCan for the cruise unless you leave and then re-enter Canada on the actual cruise, which is unlikely.  In this situation, you would fill in the Entry by Air option in ArriveCan in the 72 hours before your flight home arrives in Canada.  This means you would fill it in during last couple days of the cruise, using your first Canadian airport (where you do customs) as the entry point.  You will show that receipt at the airport in order to board your flight back to Canada.

ArriveCan is always related to whatever portion of the trip in which you ARRIVE back in CANada after leaving Canada for any amount of time via any method of transportation.

For the actual use of the app, there are a ton of step by step videos online that can be found by Googling “ArriveCan YouTube” or even “how to fill in ArriveCan YouTube” etc.