ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Random selections will only be applied to land and air arrivals. Cruise passengers are exempted.

Which is strange when the GOC states the high risk of cruises, but doesn’t include them in the random testing.  Scratching my head on this decision. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Which is strange when the GOC states the high risk of cruises, but doesn’t include them in the random testing.  Scratching my head on this decision. 🤷‍♂️

The GOC's rationale for continued random testing is to keep an eye on the rate and variants of COVID-19 among those who are travelling to Canada. Given the very small number of cruise passengers who disembark daily at a Canadian port versus the number arriving on international flights and at land border crossings, might they have felt that any random testing at cruise ports would be statistically insignificant?

Besides, cruiselines sailing in Canadian waters are obliged to report all cases of COVID aboard, which may well provide greater information than the random testing of debarking passengers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I don't find it that confusing. Health Canada can test those disembarking with positive tests should it wish to. No need to randomly test.

• Like 1

Just now, SilvertoGold said:

Phoned ArriveCan this morning.  They said B-B cruise passengers entering Canada are "in transit" and will not complete the ArriveCan arrival info until they disembark the ship on the last cruise in any series of B-B cruises.

Thank you, that's good to know. Now, if they would only include that information on the TC and/or ArriveCAN webpages, passengers other than CC members would know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The GOC's rationale for continued random testing is to keep an eye on the rate and variants of COVID-19 among those who are travelling to Canada. Given the very small number of cruise passengers who disembark daily at a Canadian port versus the number arriving on international flights and at land border crossings, might they have felt that any random testing at cruise ports would be statistically insignificant?

Besides, cruiselines sailing in Canadian waters are obliged to report all cases of COVID aboard, which may well provide greater information than the random testing of debarking passengers.

Your explanation makes sense. 

28 minutes ago, 3JCruiser said:

How long does it take before the receipt email arrives after submitting your information to arrivecan ? 

Need to make sure we have access to internet to receive/print it as we don't have data on our phone

seconds usually for me

On 4/3/2022 at 4:23 PM, SilvertoGold said:

Phoned ArriveCan this morning.  They said B-B cruise passengers entering Canada are "in transit" and will not complete the ArriveCan arrival info until they disembark the ship on the last cruise in any series of B-B cruises.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:28 PM, Fouremco said:

Thank you, that's good to know. Now, if they would only include that information on the TC and/or ArriveCAN webpages, passengers other than CC members would know. 

When reading through the "Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada" document for the nth time, I contemplated the item on "in transit" relating to air travel:

If transiting through to another country by air

Travellers who are transiting through Canada to another country (and aren't leaving the secure area at the airport) don't need to submit their information through ArriveCAN.

This is a common practise in many countries. As long as you remain in the airport's secure area you aren't deemed to have entered Canada and you aren't required to be processed by CBSA. It only makes sense that there would also be no need to use ArriveCAN when in transit.

But is a b2b passenger really "in transit"? Someone doing a b2b or multiples thereof is not restricted to the ship, and is free to leave the secure area of the terminal after passing through CBSA. This is a very different situation than the airport scenario, and it makes we wonder whether or not the person at ArriveCAN who provided the information was aware of the difference between the two modes. The fact that they chose not to include such an "in transit" provision for cruise passengers in the written instructions makes me question whether or not the information provided verbally is indeed accurate.

Just my musings on a Monday afternoon. As a b2b passenger could quickly make an ArriveCAN submission should they choose to disembark and spend the day visiting Vancouver, it's not a big issue. 

On 4/3/2022 at 11:24 AM, gnome12 said:

There is of course also the possibility of testing positive between one of the cruises.

Bite your tongue….🙁…….I have a B2B with a pre-cruise London visit in 7 months and I’m already worrying and planning on how to avoid any Covid problems.   I’m sure if I do contract Covid, it won’t be bad, but I’d still be positive….and banished from the ship and airplane.  Better get good insurance!

On 4/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, SilvertoGold said:

Which is odd, because this site says ArriveCAN should be completed before departure on a cruise that will disembark in Canada.

image.thumb.png.7876befe4667b701347628bef704444e.png

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

On 4/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, Fouremco said:

When reading through the "Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada" document for the nth time, I contemplated the item on "in transit" relating to air travel:

If transiting through to another country by air

Travellers who are transiting through Canada to another country (and aren't leaving the secure area at the airport) don't need to submit their information through ArriveCAN.

This is a common practise in many countries. As long as you remain in the airport's secure area you aren't deemed to have entered Canada and you aren't required to be processed by CBSA. It only makes sense that there would also be no need to use ArriveCAN when in transit.

But is a b2b passenger really "in transit"? Someone doing a b2b or multiples thereof is not restricted to the ship, and is free to leave the secure area of the terminal after passing through CBSA. This is a very different situation than the airport scenario, and it makes we wonder whether or not the person at ArriveCAN who provided the information was aware of the difference between the two modes. The fact that they chose not to include such an "in transit" provision for cruise passengers in the written instructions makes me question whether or not the information provided verbally is indeed accurate.

Just my musings on a Monday afternoon. As a b2b passenger could quickly make an ArriveCAN submission should they choose to disembark and spend the day visiting Vancouver, it's not a big issue. 

Thanks for quoting this. I am so tired rooting through the ArriveCan website.  You are very brave :)  

Yes, another big question mark.  We have been debating the airport "intransit" scenario and wondering what will happen with the ships. Maybe if pax do not want to go out of the terminal it will be done like the airport??   I am sure HAL will get this figured out and let us all know.  I suppose we can do the arrival imput while standing in the terminal if needed! 

Thanks very much!  We depend on your considered judgement.

• Thanks 1

When we were enroute to Lisbon during the March 12th-28th TA, Princess filled out the online Passenger Locator Forms for us, whether we were getting off the ship or not, as they had to be submitted within 96 hours of arrival.

Just thinking this might be the same scenario with ArriveCAN. 

Editing to add:  The UK also had a PLF but had a policy in place for arrivals by cruise ship in that we could fill it in three days prior to embarkation.

Edited by *Miss G*

7 hours ago, bigAWL said:

Which is odd, because this site says ArriveCAN should be completed before departure on a cruise that will disembark in Canada.

image.thumb.png.7876befe4667b701347628bef704444e.png

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

That is correct. I've done a cruise test run on ArrivCan. It refuses to complete an application unless within the specified time of embarkation.

"Error 2: Your embarkation time cannot be more than 24 hours ago. Verify your embarkation date and time"

https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/auth

I presume that B2B pax who do not disembark in Canada, are considered to be in transit.  However, B2B pax who will disembark in Canada should submit an application BEFORE departure because the app does not accept applications more than 24h after embarkation.

Also, I would presume that those who embark in Canada, and disembark elsewhere, will not need ArrivCan. 

Edited by HappyInVan

Does anyone know what you would put down for your quarantine location for the ArriveCan?  We will be on a Princess ship doing a B2B out of Vancouver.  The form is asking for the street name, city, Province and Canada postal code (would I put down the pier information)?  Thanks in advance.

49 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Does anyone know what you would put down for your quarantine location for the ArriveCan?  We will be on a Princess ship doing a B2B out of Vancouver.  The form is asking for the street name, city, Province and Canada postal code (would I put down the pier information)?  Thanks in advance.

I'm sure I've just read on the ArriveCAN govt website that for cruises, you put your cabin number. Presumably the ship too. Of course, I can't find it now! 

This is all very interesting albeit confusing at times!

We will be arriving in Vancouver in July, staying overnight before embarking a cruise ship for Alaska. We will make 2 stops in Canada (Victoria and Vancouver again) before staying on the ship and going down the US West Coast and through to Florida. 

Appreciate things are changing frequently, but as it stands: I know we will need to do the ArriveCAN stuff 72 hours before we land for our first arrival into Canada. Will we then have to do it again for Victoria and our 2nd stop in Vancouver or will we be classed as being in transit? 

Grateful for any advice. 

7 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

I'm sure I've just read on the ArriveCAN govt website that for cruises, you put your cabin number. Presumably the ship too. Of course, I can't find it now! 

On the ArriveCan website, there are specific categories that NEED to be filled out so you can advance to the next question:  Street name and number, City, Province, Postal code.  Since I don't have that, I can't more forward.

22 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

On the ArriveCan website, there are specific categories that NEED to be filled out so you can advance to the next question:  Street name and number, City, Province, Postal code.  Since I don't have that, I can't more forward.

I finally found this in the Help section! I don't know if it helps though. 

Travellers who are quarantining on a boat should enter the civic address for the private residence where the vessel is moored, or the nearest marina if the boat is anchored, sailing or cruising.

For travellers planning to travel by cruise ship:

• if the cruise ends in Canada, enter your Canadian address as your suitable place of quarantine.
  • if the cruise doesn't end in Canada, but has a stop in Canada, enter your 'State room' or 'Cabin room' as your suitable place of quarantine. You do this by selecting the 'Other' field for destination type.
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I believe that you will need to provide the address of the cruise port, which is :

100 The Pointe, 999 Canada Place
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6C 3T4

From the ArriveCAN website:

• the address of your quarantine location (the place where you'll quarantine for 14 days. If you're fully vaccinated, this is the place you could go if you develop symptoms or test positive)
    • If you are arriving by marine vessel, include the address where the vessel will be moored.
    • If you're arriving by cruise vessel
Edited by Fouremco
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

You will need to provide the address of the cruise port, which I believe is 

100 The Pointe, 999 Canada Place
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6C 3T4

From the ArriveCAN website:

• the address of your quarantine location (the place where you'll quarantine for 14 days. If you're fully vaccinated, this is the place you could go if you develop symptoms or test positive)
    • If you are arriving by marine vessel, include the address where the vessel will be moored.
    • If you're arriving by cruise vessel

Thank you very much for the detailed information, I appreciate it.  Slowly I am beginning to finalize the "dummy form" so when the time comes, I should be totally prepared.  It would be so much easier if the cruise lines would do an ArriveCAN sample so that everyone has consistent information to follow --- I guess that would be like asking for a million dollars.

27 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you very much for the detailed information, I appreciate it.  Slowly I am beginning to finalize the "dummy form" so when the time comes, I should be totally prepared.  It would be so much easier if the cruise lines would do an ArriveCAN sample so that everyone has consistent information to follow --- I guess that would be like asking for a million dollars.

I'm not sure that the cruiselines are any better at interpreting the ArriveCAN directions than we are. :classic_sad:

As has been the case with much of the COVID-related GOC regulations, there seems to be an ongoing lack of clarity on the one hand and contradictions on the other. Once the cruise season actually start in a number of days, I suspect that those responsible for the ArriveCAN program will start to realize that better instructions will be required.

• Like 5

I hate to hijack this thread being a non-Canadian but you guys seem to have so much great information. Which is highly appreciative. I was just reading the recent posts and if you are traveling to Vancouver to go on a boat you should put down that information for quarantine. The thing is we are arriving three days before our cruise. I’m almost thinking right now is it a disadvantage arriving that early now, I’ll be more apt to be chosen for Random testing and the whole quarantine plan thing. Almost seems like you’re better off arriving right before your sailing so you’re basically just transferring through especially if you’re on a cruise like mine that goes one way to Hawaii. I’m trying to figure these things out I have two weeks before the Disney wonder sales on the 26th