ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

49 minutes ago, ehogan said:

Can you update the app without losing all your data

In my experience, recent updates have deleted specific trip information but have retained individual traveller profile information.

Question I was looking at the browser version and it recommends and gives links to pre-register for random testing at airport testing sites. Are people doing this. I am trying to avoid the whole random testing thing. Is this really required?? 

2 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Question I was looking at the browser version and it recommends and gives links to pre-register for random testing at airport testing sites. Are people doing this. I am trying to avoid the whole random testing thing. Is this really required?? 

If you get selected, it is easier if you already have an account set up, as they just take your phone number and they already have all your information. If you are a way away from your trip, I would wait to see if anything changes, but yes, pre registering is easier. In early Jan, we were selected for testing and people were scrambling in line to try and register. When they found out we already had an account, they took us to the front of the line. Last week, my husband was selected and the process was easy with his existing account. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

I don't think that pre-registering makes you any more likely to be randomly selected, but it makes it easier if you are.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bjay3 said:

Has anyone crossed the border from U.S. at a land border? Do they have to see your ArriveCan on your device or just look at passport and ask if Arrivecan completed

It seems to vary, some being asked to show their receipt and others not. But whether or not they ask to see it, you need to have it.

2 hours ago, bjay3 said:

Has anyone crossed the border from U.S. at a land border? Do they have to see your ArriveCan on your device or just look at passport and ask if Arrivecan completed

We drove across on Sunday.  The CBSA officer told us specifically the ArriveCAN receipt was linked to our passport.  He did ask to see our negative test results.  I realize that requirement will end April 2.  

1 hour ago, cmich068 said:

If you submitted ArriveCan and use the same travel document, they generally don't ask for it because it's linked automatically. But if it doesn't come up for whatever reason, they will ask. 

1 hour ago, Josie201 said:

We drove across on Sunday.  The CBSA officer told us specifically the ArriveCAN receipt was linked to our passport.  He did ask to see our negative test results.  I realize that requirement will end April 2.  

Interesting that in spite of the linkage, I've read posts saying that CBSA asked for the receipt. It also begs the question as to why the ArriveCAN instructions say "Show the receipt to your airline carrier or a Canadian border services officer when you enter" if the linkage is there to begin with. Puzzling. 

When we came back from Vegas, the Westjet check in lady asked to see ours.  We also had to flash it quickly to enter the customs hall in Edmonton.  Somehow a number a people had not filled it in in advance and where being held up before entering customs until they completed it. The guy in front of us had issues. He said he completed it but the customs officer said that since he just filled it in upstairs the information hadn’t synced into her system yet and she had to confirm all details with her.  She didn’t have to see anything from us except our passports and the form that prints out of the Nexus machines. 

51 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Interesting that in spite of the linkage, I've read posts saying that CBSA asked for the receipt. It also begs the question as to why the ArriveCAN instructions say "Show the receipt to your airline carrier or a Canadian border services officer when you enter" if the linkage is there to begin with. Puzzling. 

I don't find it puzzling. By adding instructions to show the receipt when asked, people are prepared. Even with a working linkage I can think of several reasons why a CBSA officer might ask to see the receipt. Some not related to the document itself.

55 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Your airline probably doesn’t have access to the ArriveCAN info. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bjay3 said:

Crossed at the Peace Bridge, was asked about ArriveCAN, but the agent did not want to see it, nor our tests.  Just passports.

7 hours ago, bjay3 said:

I specifically asked at the land border about the receipt and why he wasn't asking for it...they told me that it is linked to my Nexus card (my ID that I use for the land border).  I have crossed a number of times...have never been asked for the receipt, but obviously, I have it on my phone ready to go (I get it emailed to me).  

49 minutes ago, ehogan said:

If I have used my passport as I.D. for the ArriveCan app are both then linked to my Nexus card as well? I have used Nexus or my passport on differing occasions while travelling (pre pandemic).

I set up 2 separate profiles; one linked to Nexus and one to my passport just in case they aren’t linked automatically. 

3 hours ago, ehogan said:

If I have used my passport as I.D. for the ArriveCan app are both then linked to my Nexus card as well? I have used Nexus or my passport on differing occasions while travelling (pre pandemic).

This is anecdotal, but the one time I had to present my ArriveCan receipt to CBSA was when I used my passport in the app but then entered using my Nexus card. But it was also super early in the border reopening so lots has changed since then. Best to enter on whatever document you use in the app and vice versa. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

I have entered back into Canada 4 times now (3 times in Toronto and once in Edmonton).  I have my passport in the ArriveCan app, I use the Nexus machines and hand the agent my Passport and the slip from the machine (the last agent asked for my Nexus card as well as my passport) and we have had no issues and have never been asked to show the agent our Arrivecan receipt (we have shown the arrive can receipt to the airline check in person in the US each time and the last time in Edmonton they had a person asking to see the Arrivecan receipt before they let you in the custom's hall). 

On 3/12/2022 at 8:48 AM, broberts said:

Not a chance. ArriveCan replaces the paper form that has existed in one form or another for at least 50 years.

Questions and requirements may change, the questionnaire itself is not likely going away.

Border protection is granted wide latitude in questioning individuals desiring entry into the country. Your judgement of what is appropriate or necessary notwithstanding.

Nope.  ArriveCAN was implemented for Covid-19 and safety purposes.  It is NOT your customs form.  You still need to complete a customs form when arriving (at YVR this is done at an electronic kiosk.)

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Nope.  ArriveCAN was implemented for Covid-19 and safety purposes.  It is NOT your customs form.  You still need to complete a customs form when arriving (at YVR this is done at an electronic kiosk.)

You can in fact use the ArriveCAN website (but not the mobile app) to submit your CBSA declaration up to 72 hours in advance.

Why report in advance

Using the Advance CBSA Declaration feature within ArriveCAN lets you make a customs and immigration declaration up to 72 hours in advance of flying into Canada, giving you a faster border experience. Declaring in advance will save you time when you arrive at the airport.

The declaration is an optional feature built into the online version of ArriveCAN (not the mobile app). All travellers arriving in Canada must continue to use ArriveCAN to submit mandatory travel and health information.

This (from the GOC website) is confusing to me:

“You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

If travelling by marine vessel

If you're travelling by marine vessel, you must use ArriveCAN before orupon entering Canada; this is to accommodate for Wi-Fi issues on the water.”

Does this mean that on returning to Canada from a cruise I submit my information while on land at our last U.S. port or after we disembark the cruise in Canada but not while on the ship? 

And what about those who do not have WiFi capabilities.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, Josie201 said:

I thought it was April 1????

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You can in fact use the ArriveCAN website (but not the mobile app) to submit your CBSA declaration up to 72 hours in advance.

Why report in advance

Using the Advance CBSA Declaration feature within ArriveCAN lets you make a customs and immigration declaration up to 72 hours in advance of flying into Canada, giving you a faster border experience. Declaring in advance will save you time when you arrive at the airport.

The declaration is an optional feature built into the online version of ArriveCAN (not the mobile app). All travellers arriving in Canada must continue to use ArriveCAN to submit mandatory travel and health information.

I know you mentioned you updated the ArriveCan app in previous post, how do you do that?  I’m thinking things should change on the app at midnight tonight. Thoughts?

TIA