No Menu change on 2 Week cruise in Prima MDR?

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

And to keep it in perspective, the OP did say they were not cruising until Sept 2023, but apparently worrying about the menu now and if they don't meet what he expects it just might be the last cruise.  This post really is priceless, sometimes CC is the gift that keeps on giving.

We are booked on the Prima for August 2023. I expect by then to know a lot more of the details since the ship first sails this summer. It is also possible if there is a lot of negative feedback that it disappears.

Are there more than one MDRs? I remember on the Epic in 2012 there being two, each having the same entrees but prepared differently. If they do this, that would mean more choices.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We are booked on the Prima for August 2023. I expect by then to know a lot more of the details since the ship first sails this summer. It is also possible if there is a lot of negative feedback that it disappears.

Are there more than one MDRs? I remember on the Epic in 2012 there being two, each having the same entrees but prepared differently. If they do this, that would mean more choices.

There are two MDRs. It isn’t clear at the moment but I think they will have different menus, maybe significantly different.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

There are two MDRs. It isn’t clear at the moment but I think they will have different menus, maybe significantly different.

What makes you think that the 2 MDRs will have different menus? Based on what has been published, one standard menu, why would they have 2?

5 minutes ago, Oxo said:

What makes you think that the 2 MDRs will have different menus? Based on what has been published, one standard menu, why would they have 2?

They would potentially have two because there are two different restaurants.

I haven't seen anything to suggest either way yet, but given that they are fixed menus I think that there is a good chance that the two places will have different menus.

We will probably have to wait until August to find out for sure.

16 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I haven't seen anything to suggest either way yet, but given that they are fixed menus I think that there is a good chance that the two places will have different menus.

From my experience on NCL, I think regardless of how many MDRs on the ship, they all had the same menu. That was my experience on the Encore, Getaway and Joy recently. They may have had one specialty for that MDR.

We will see when it appears. 

Happy Cruising! 

I may be in the minority, but if there is a good variety, and many options,  I kind of like the idea.  There are times we have a Specialty Restaurant booked for a certain night,  and then see there was something in the MDR we would have liked.   Now,  if we know the menu is the same every night,  it doesn't matter when we have a Speciality Restaurant booked.   It also looks like there will be some items that will be an upcharge.  That,  I'm not too crazy about,  but I think it may help people that don't have the FAS dining package.  It will let them try some other things they feel are worth the upcharge,  but not have to pay for the dining package.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oxo said:

From my experience on NCL, I think regardless of how many MDRs on the ship, they all had the same menu. That was my experience on the Encore, Getaway and Joy recently. They may have had one specialty for that MDR.

We will see when it appears. 

Happy Cruising! 

Yes, that is certainly previous experience. I just think that as they are changing the whole way they the MDR menus work that past experience becomes less relevant. They are changing the way they do it, so that can change too.

1 minute ago, jezabel80 said:

I may be in the minority, but if there is a good variety, and many options,  I kind of like the idea.  There are times we have a Specialty Restaurant booked for a certain night,  and then see there was something in the MDR we would have liked.   Now,  if we know the menu is the same every night,  it doesn't matter when we have a Speciality Restaurant booked.   It also looks like there will be some items that will be an upcharge.  That,  I'm not too crazy about,  but I think it may help people that don't have the FAS dining package.  It will let them try some other things they feel are worth the upcharge,  but not have to pay for the dining package.

Yes, I think that it will work for us as well (this doesn't mean that I think it is a good idea though).

At the moment we rarely even consider the MDR's as we don't know what will be on the menu any day. If we know the menu beforehand, and it looks good then I could see us planning a night or two at the MDRs.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Oxo said:

@Oxo, in one of several threads on this subject, something published from NCL stated that the 2nd MDR,  Commodore, would be more "upscale" than MDR1, Hudson's, which is why I think @KeithJennerthought that there may be 2 different MDR menus.

Just now, sportscruiser said:

@Oxo, in one of several threads on this subject, something published from NCL stated that the 2nd MDR,  Commodore, would be more "upscale" than MDR1, Hudson's, which is why I think @KeithJennerthought that there may be 2 different MDR menus.

Not necessarily, as currently the aft MDR is seen as more upscale than the midship one. That isn't particularly why I think that there may be different menus, but if they do then I expect the Commodore Room/aft MDRs to have more upscale dishes than Hudsons/midship MDRs.

48 minutes ago, sportscruiser said:

That is how I remember our Epic cruise MDR menus; they were the same, but different. Same basic entrees, but prepared differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, and since we are sailing August NEXT year, we should know well before then.

6 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

And you are discussing ASSUMPTONS and many are making absurd rantings about an unknown entity as if it were the end of the world as we know it.  Then again look where we are having the discussion!  🙂

And some feel the need to defend the cruise line at all cost.  What's it to you unless you own stock in the company?  There's an announcement of sorts and people are expressing opinions, good and bad.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

That is how I remember our Epic cruise MDR menus; they were the same, but different. Same basic entrees, but prepared differently.

Years ago, the MDRS had basically the same menu but with a few differences like appetizers. 

This makes me think that there is a good possibility that the fixed menus could differ for each MDR. 

46 minutes ago, TominNC said:

And some feel the need to defend the cruise line at all cost.  What's it to you unless you own stock in the company?  There's an announcement of sorts and people are expressing opinions, good and bad.

Yeah I don't like that type, I'm glad no one I know is like that!

We are on the Prima TA September 2022.  When I read about the menu changing I wasn't too bothered.   If I don't need to shop, cook and clear then I am happy.   Husband on the other hand, (who has no part in the previous)  wasn't too happy with the idea.   Not a defender of NCL at all cost but had to point out that our favourite local restaurant has had the same menu for 15 years.  Added to that, we have 4 free at sea, 2 Latitude, the local and the buffet.  Result one happy husband 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 4:17 AM, 230462 said:

Have Norwegian taken leave? I have just read that on a two week cruise on Prima the menu will be the same each day of the cruise in the MDR's. Did anyone book their cruise with this knowledge? No, we certainly did not. Would I expect this if I was staying an expensive hotel? Certainly not. 

The obvious reason for this is that NCL are trying to force people to use the speciality restaurants to enable us to get the choice we expect. This will increase the total cost of the cruise considerably, particularly, as has been discussed elsewhere, the prices of speciality dining venues have just been hiked considerably. 

I am booked on Prima for September 2023 and it just could be my last NCL cruise. Or am I over-reacting? 

You are not over reacting.  We feel the same.  It's getting to be like hotels that charge a resort fee.