No Menu change on 2 Week cruise in Prima MDR?

Have Norwegian taken leave? I have just read that on a two week cruise on Prima the menu will be the same each day of the cruise in the MDR's. Did anyone book their cruise with this knowledge? No, we certainly did not. Would I expect this if I was staying an expensive hotel? Certainly not. 

The obvious reason for this is that NCL are trying to force people to use the speciality restaurants to enable us to get the choice we expect. This will increase the total cost of the cruise considerably, particularly, as has been discussed elsewhere, the prices of speciality dining venues have just been hiked considerably. 

I am booked on Prima for September 2023 and it just could be my last NCL cruise. Or am I over-reacting? 

• Haha 4

Sorry, I think you are over-reacting. If you were staying at a fancy hotel/resort, you would experience multiple dining options with set menus in each, as with the Prima. If the MDR were the only option, yes, it would be upsetting. But there are multiple dining options, both included and for a fee. 

• Like 4

They have also stated the menu would be expanded ,  include dishes from the sailing area ,and a build your own pasta dish with up to 24 combinations. I don't have any problem with it. Numerous other options throughout the ship as well.

• Like 3

Have I missed something? Admittedly I did not know the MDR menu was to be expanded - but I thought all the numerous other dinner options (except the buffet) were at an extra charge. 

56 minutes ago, 230462 said:

Have I missed something? Admittedly I did not know the MDR menu was to be expanded - but I thought all the numerous other dinner options (except the buffet) were at an extra charge. 

There’s also the Local and I believe some options at Indulge may be included. However, the way of “included” , traditional MDR dining is becoming less and less the norm. I understand why some don’t like it, but cruising has changed over the years and continues to change.

Edited by FLcruisergrl
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 230462 said:

There's a chart on page 103 of the Prima thread where it shows some of this.

1 hour ago, 230462 said:

Have Norwegian taken leave? I have just read that on a two week cruise on Prima the menu will be the same each day of the cruise in the MDR's. Did anyone book their cruise with this knowledge? No, we certainly did not. Would I expect this if I was staying an expensive hotel? Certainly not. 

The obvious reason for this is that NCL are trying to force people to use the speciality restaurants to enable us to get the choice we expect. This will increase the total cost of the cruise considerably, particularly, as has been discussed elsewhere, the prices of speciality dining venues have just been hiked considerably. 

I am booked on Prima for September 2023 and it just could be my last NCL cruise. Or am I over-reacting? 

I think that you are overreacting.

Unless it has changed recently the Haven restaurant also has the same menu every day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 230462 said:

A lot of assumptions here.  No one is forcing anyone to do anything.  All they said is that the menu will be fixed and that there will be at LEAST 24 selections on that menu.  If you do not like the new program and you will choose to let it ruin your cruise even before you see what it actually is, then cancel and problem is solved. Yes you are WAAAAY over reacting.

• Like 6

Amazing! No one has or seen a menu.

Cruising in 2023 over a year from now. 

Will never cruise NCL again.

The ocean is drying up.

The ships won't sail on sandy bottom.

Get the windmills out.

LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

This past week they announced a set mdr menu starting with Prima.  Could go to other ships if worked well.  Some specialty options offered, guessing for a fee.

Pretty much baked in the cake that the set MDR menu concept will be rolled out fleet wide in 2023.

Remember when they tried this - maybe 10 years ago?  Didn't go over well then though specialty options have expanded a lot since then.  We cruised with the mindset of MDR supplemented with a few specialty dinners and seems that's turned on its head.  

Agree with you that there's likely to be a surcharge for the specialty options on the MDR menu.  Remember when they did that with surf & turf or lobster (though not from a designated specialty?).  We don't sail Royal but they have pay options like that every night, though they don't "rotate" as perhaps NCL's will.  Will many guests elect to pay extra for a specialty option in the MDR?  Maybe a family where the kids are fine with the kids menu and one parent wants say a Cagney's steak?

Just now, snorklinbarb said:

Pretty much baked in the cake that the set MDR menu concept will be rolled out fleet wide in 2023.

Remember when they tried this - maybe 10 years ago?  Didn't go over well then though # of specialty restaurants have expanded a lot since then.  We cruised with the mindset of MDR supplemented with a few specialty dinners and seems that's turned on its head.  

Agree with you that there's likely to be a surcharge for the specialty options on the MDR menu.  Remember when they did that with surf & turf or lobster (though not from a designated specialty?).  We don't sail Royal but they have pay options like that every night, though they don't "rotate" as perhaps NCL's will.  Will many guests elect to pay extra for a specialty option in the MDR?  Maybe a family where the kids are fine with the kids menu and one parent wants say a Cagney's steak?

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

A lot of assumptions here.  No one is forcing anyone to do anything.  All they said is that the menu will be fixed and that there will be at LEAST 24 selections on that menu.  If you do not like the new program and you will choose to let it ruin your cruise even before you see what it actually is, then cancel and problem is solved. Yes you are WAAAAY over reacting.

24 selections if you include different shaped pasta and a few different sauces.

16 minutes ago, TominNC said:

24 selections if you include different shaped pasta and a few different sauces.

Have you seen the menu yet?  If not you do not know what the combination of selections will be.  At this point it is all whining and fussing over an unknown.

There are several complimentary venues listed.  We always have a couple of meals at the Local for some good comfort food.    I think we will be fine with 3 or so nights in a MDR with a good menu that was described as 'expanded' by several of the TA reports.

I'm excited to try the Indulge Food Hall with the various options it will include like Tapas, Nudls, Tamara, Latin Quarter and Q.  It says it is complimentary at breakfast and lunch.  Dinner will be complimentary with 'premium upcharge items'.    It sounds like DH and I will enjoy trying a variety of dishes in the food hall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 230462 said:

Or am I over-reacting?  you are not cruising until Sept 2023 and you have nothing to do but worry about the MDR menu at that time?  Are you overreacting, hmmm let me think... YES!!!

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, definitely over reacting. 

Even without the menu changing I'm putting my money down that there will be at least 5-10 options to pick from. Plus the buffet that is free with countless options there. Plus O'Sheehans (it will always be O'Sheehans to me) for simple burgers and bar type food to munch on (those new shepards pie potato skins are awesome and my new favorite snack). Plus the complementary choices at the food hall.

Just curious, what exactly would make you happy? If the menu changed every day I can see someone like yourself complaining that there were too many choices and you wanted more than one item and had to pick between them. Just can't please some people who like to panic about things that haven't even happened yet. 

Wait for the actual menu to be shared before you make bogus threats about never sailing with them again for something that hasn't even happened yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

Have you seen the menu yet?  If not you do not know what the combination of selections will be.  At this point it is all whining and fussing over an unknown.

It's a discussion board.  We're discussing.  My general feeling is it will not be an enhancement for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TominNC said:

It's a discussion board.  We're discussing.  My general feeling is it will not be an enhancement for me.

And this is especially true if much of the menu is in essence off limits to you if you do not eat meat.

15 hours ago, TominNC said:

And you are discussing ASSUMPTONS and many are making absurd rantings about an unknown entity as if it were the end of the world as we know it.  Then again look where we are having the discussion!  🙂

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

And you are discussing ASSUMPTONS and many are making absurd rantings about an unknown entity as if it were the end of the world as we know it.  Then again look where we are having the discussion!  🙂

And to keep it in perspective, the OP did say they were not cruising until Sept 2023, but apparently worrying about the menu now and if they don't meet what he expects it just might be the last cruise.  This post really is priceless, sometimes CC is the gift that keeps on giving.