Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

I was surprised to read that Moon is anchored; I don't recall a lot about my visit to Dublin in probably a Radisson/Regent ship years ago, but I feel sure we we docked.  I still have a bottle of Irish scent I bought in whatever was the equivalent of Harrods in the city centre.  And a nice memory of walking by the river.

Does Dublin not have a dock suitable for cruise ships?

Lola

27 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I was surprised to read that Moon is anchored; I don't recall a lot about my visit to Dublin in probably a Radisson/Regent ship years ago, but I feel sure we we docked.  I still have a bottle of Irish scent I bought in whatever was the equivalent of Harrods in the city centre.  And a nice memory of walking by the river.

Does Dublin not have a dock suitable for cruise ships?

Lola

Here's the story according to our tour guide today.  You are absolutely correct that cruise ships did dock at Dublin Port.  The wrinkle now is that since Brexit cruise ships have been booted out of Dublin Port because "space" was required for all the paperwork involved now with imports and exports.  Take from that what you will.  😁

• Haha 1

Photos from yesterday's glorious time in Liverpool.  Ferry Cross the Mersey and Hop On Hop Off Bus....

Outside the cruise gates...

DSC09131.JPG.29933053fbbb59596c378178795b1abc.JPG

Ferry ride.....

DSC09134.JPG.6c580ec1417128f4f311a078d1cf9312.JPG

DSC09136.JPG.c24b1a3110ee09f05cd84bf08f6d8277.JPG

DSC09137.JPG.2707e5e6258203d2d9d764092448dcf9.JPG

DSC09138.JPG.c1f548380e2195bce7084b1f90c6dcd6.JPG

Bus pic ...Church of St Luke, commonly known as the burned-out church.   Badly damaged by bombs during the Liverpool Blitz in 1941 and roofless ever since.

DSC09150.JPG.fe83d7d046df02d053d4360ee949d94b.JPG

• Like 6

From our excursion today in Dublin......

From the bus ride around the city......

DSC09154.JPG.0bf702e56b76429420a1fc863cf23ba6.JPG

DSC09156.JPG.b659735680555d776a788f0b0577c788.JPG

DSC09158.JPG.2c12a565800383734162f7788d13311f.JPG

DSC09160.JPG.a466a15f8f2c5f771d38f69be7550261.JPG

From Saint Patrick's Cathedral.....

DSC09169.JPG.7991673295766401f50ff9e33a30120f.JPG

No photos were allowed in the Book of Kells exhibition area.  This is from the Long Room, one of the libraries of Trinity College.  It holds over 200,000 books.

DSC09200.JPG.9780c2ec8944641d3c5dab39c77f2ea8.JPG

Tomorrow we are in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 5

Nostalgic to see Liverpool again.  It really suffered during World War 2.   My father in law was a builder, working some 30 miles away, and was asked to go to Liverpool each day during the bombing to work on the houses which had been damaged, to at least make them safe.  My DH was a boy,  and used to go with him and help.  Certainly toughened up his and my generation.

Lola

• Like 4

I have only visited Liverpool once; my DH's Concerto for Trumpet was played by its orchestra.  I was charmed by the city, and would like to visit again for more time to enjoy its sights.  Maybe a cruise segment including the city...

• Like 2

This morning we are docked in Belfast about 4 miles (20 minute ride) to the city center.   We are taking a Belfast Black Taxi tour this morning.  Forecast calls for rain.  Hopefully the weather gods and goddesses will grant us respite.  😁

• Like 3

Just now, mysty said:

This morning we are docked in Belfast about 4 miles (20 minute ride) to the city center.   We are taking a Belfast Black Taxi tour this morning.  Forecast calls for rain.  Hopefully the weather gods and goddesses will grant us respite.  😁

It rained a few dribbles while we were in the Taxi.  It stopped for our picture stops and is now sunshine.   I may have to make a sacrificial offering as thanks to the weather gods and goddesses!  Tour was excellent!  Photos to follow.

• Like 5

Just now, Tothesunset said:

Not only in my home country, you're now in my home town too! 

If you have time the Botanic Gardens and Ulster Museum are worth a detour. 

TTS,  this tour was a real eye-opener for naive, uninformed Canucks!  My heart was breaking at many of the stops and explanations along the way!  Your home town is amazing and its resilience is awe-inspiring no matter which side of the fence fuels your passion!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our driver/guide for this tour presented a reasonably even-handed commentary during our drive.  It was not a black and white view of the history.  It was nuanced and thought-provoking!

Some photos...

Parliament Buildings.....

DSC09201.JPG.a4e1c50f1c30f87064133b6b30f8001f.JPG

DSC09202.JPG.8dfc1e4b6d516e870e71c234cd48a7c5.JPG

Some murals expressing sentiments from both sides.....

DSC09203.JPG.ea3342ef734f8ef9a93ac9febc9adee8.JPG

DSC09204.JPG.b5c638c25f0cb5698c4c43b4a5cc97ff.JPG

DSC09205.JPG.ebe13376af1736fae5264ae43ab55121.JPG

From one of many memorial sites.....

DSC09206.JPG.7c52656aa75929a1b453d8609f9f2571.JPG

And then the pub......delicious Irish Coffee for me and a stout (not Guinness) for Myster..... 

DSC09212.JPG.68d4cee177529df4a50e104c97f8d11b.JPG

DSC09216.JPG.fe34fcda0e0eab65a6ebc81367d3b833.JPG

This was one of the most compelling tours we have ever taken.  Highly recommended!

• Like 6

The history of Ireland generally and of the North in particular is a minefield of disinformation, obfuscation and deliberate partisanship. 

We don't expect outsiders to understand it because we don't really understand it ourselves! 

Glad you took the time and trouble to look at the city from the streets. I grew up in a street just like those with the gable end murals. It was only ever a very few that wanted violence but the infection of prejudice was rife. A new generation are growing up in a fairer, more inclusive and kinder society. 

The Belfast of today is a world away from my days and long may it remain so. 

Enough. 

Have a great cruise! 

(P. S. If the Myster likes his beer give Smithwicks a try. Guinness also produce an excellent lager called Hop House 13 - my son likes it rather too much!) 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 6

I'm hoping when you have time - maybe not until you are back home - you could tell us what you have thought about the various restaurants, food and drink, and the general ambiance on board the Moon.  

I am sure you will enjoy the Scottish ports - and hope that you may get some sunshine.  I have only visited Scotland twice, and each time it was mostly wet!   But a few of those  amazing single malts helps.  Some Scots drink them neat, others with a drop of water - but never ice.  I guess I am preaching to the already converted here.

Lola

• Like 1

Just now, lincslady said:

I'm hoping when you have time - maybe not until you are back home - you could tell us what you have thought about the various restaurants, food and drink, and the general ambiance on board the Moon.  

I am sure you will enjoy the Scottish ports - and hope that you may get some sunshine.  I have only visited Scotland twice, and each time it was mostly wet!   But a few of those  amazing single malts helps.  Some Scots drink them neat, others with a drop of water - but never ice.  I guess I am preaching to the already converted here.

Lola

Whatever I provide in answer will be personal perceptions, tastes and impressions.  😁   We have dined in all venues for dinner.  Food and drink overall are great!  Favourite dinner locations for us are Atlantide,  S.A.L.T. Kitchen and The Grill.  Table spacing in La Terrazza is a little too close for comfort for us.  La Dame here is much bigger than the Whisper and has much, much more light.  It does feel less intimate though.  Kaiseki for lunch sushi gives a credible offering.   Not quite as good as what's on offer from Japanese sushi places at home.   Kaiseki dinner was middling.  S.A.L.T. Bar is wonderful and it is small.  Dolce Vita is spacious.   Vibe is more intimate at S.A.L.T.  Silver Note is interesting!  It does seem to struggle between being a restaurant or a bar. Observation Library for drinks is extremely quiet as befits the library part.  We felt we needed to speak in whispers. We haven't tried Panorama Lounge yet.  Ambiance on the ship is, of course,  mainly influenced by the passengers as all the crew are performing brilliantly!  It is not the friendliest of vibes.   "Good Mornings" go unacknowledged.   Smiles are few and far between.   This is not to say that everyone falls under this characterization!  We have met some very lovely folks!  However there are more in the first group than in the second.   The impact of the nasty may also be affecting people's social skills.   Overall the vibe in the before times was more pleasant than it is now.   Again I stress that these are personal impressions! 😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Not surprised at all, M. We have been masked for so long, I think that we have forgotten how to smile! 😀 

And people look at you suspiciously since covid. When we walked in our neighborhood years ago people were friendly. Lots of waving and smiling. Now it's at best 50/50. Many won't even make eye contact. Chris says they are afraid of my "covid eye."

I will have to remember to change my permanent scowl once the masks come off for good. 😉 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

Thanks for the detailed answer, mysty.  I'm sorry to hear the passenger ambiance is not as good as usual, but agree about the main reason being that we are all, sadly, every so slightly suspicious of others being too near in view of the you-know-what.  It is like that here in the supermarkets etc. Although the atmosphere is likely to change at the end of this segment and the start of the next one, hopefully for the better.  We have done back to backs which have seemed markedly different, for no obvious reason.  And good to hear the crew are working as well as usual.

I won't ask for long reports from you again; you are there to enjoy  yourselves, and it seems by and large you are.

Thanks  again

Lola

• Like 1

Just now, lincslady said:

Thanks for the detailed answer, mysty.  I'm sorry to hear the passenger ambiance is not as good as usual, but agree about the main reason being that we are all, sadly, every so slightly suspicious of others being too near in view of the you-know-what.  It is like that here in the supermarkets etc. Although the atmosphere is likely to change at the end of this segment and the start of the next one, hopefully for the better.  We have done back to backs which have seemed markedly different, for no obvious reason.  And good to hear the crew are working as well as usual.

I won't ask for long reports from you again; you are there to enjoy  yourselves, and it seems by and large you are.

Thanks  again

Lola

Lola love,  it's my pleasure!  I don't have to scurry around to hunt up information!  It was simply a request for impressions!  Easily done! 🥰

Just now, spinnaker2 said:

Mysty, 

I am so enjoying your trip travelogue. Thanks for keeping us tantalized and informed. 

Life is good mi amiga!

Thank you lovely lady!  Yes!  Life is good! 🥰

6 hours ago, mysty said:

It is not the friendliest of vibes.   "Good Mornings" go unacknowledged.   Smiles are few and far between.   This is not to say that everyone falls under this characterization!  We have met some very lovely folks!  However there are more in the first group than in the second. 

Hopefully things will improve as the cruise goes on but a good thing for me to be aware of before boarding my cruise in July. 

Maybe because here in Perth we didn't suffer to much with lockdowns and restrictions but I am used to a smile and hello on my walks. Most of my walks are with my dog so maybe that helps break the ice. 

Enjoying your travel blog and photos mysty 🙂.

• Like 1

Today we are anchored off Oban, Scotland.   We had an excursion booked to Inverary Castle.   Myster twigged his back yesterday so the idea of a tender ride followed by a bus ride seemed a bridge too far.  We'll spend the day in the lap of luxury provided by the amazing crew. 🥰

• Like 2

Mysty - it must be catching.  Yesterday afternoon I suddenly developed pain on walking in a leg which has had no previous problems, and hadn't done anything to bring it on.  Slightly better this a.m., thank goodness.  But will have to miss going out for coffee with a friend.  Worse things happen at sea, as my mother used to say.  (Well, hopefully not on the Moon.)

Best wishes to Myster, and have a nice relaxing day at sea.

Lola

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Mysty - it must be catching.  Yesterday afternoon I suddenly developed pain on walking in a leg which has had no previous problems, and hadn't done anything to bring it on.  Slightly better this a.m., thank goodness.  But will have to miss going out for coffee with a friend.  Worse things happen at sea, as my mother used to say.  (Well, hopefully not on the Moon.)

Best wishes to Myster, and have a nice relaxing day at sea.

Lola

Take care Lola!  And thanks for your best wishes for Myster!

• Like 1