Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

We're at anchor in Saint Malo today.   We have an excursion to Mont Saint Michel departing at 7:30 am.  We were awake at 5:45 am for coffee and temperature check.  If I'm still reasonably alert on our return I will attempt to post pics.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1) Thank you Lois.

2) I remember the term topinambur from my catering college days but I don't think I've heard them referred to as such since 1989.

3) I'm with you 100% on the Corton-Charlemagne. 

4) Loving following along with you M.

5)Looking forward to the next leg 🙂.  

• Like 3

Just now, Daveywavey70 said:

1) Thank you Lois.

2) I remember the term topinambur from my catering college days but I don't think I've heard them referred to as such since 1989.

3) I'm with you 100% on the Corton-Charlemagne. 

4) Loving following along with you M.

5)Looking forward to the next leg 🙂.  

Cheeky DW! 😅

For the Curious (and not the Silversea newsletter 😁), Myster and I survived the tour to Mont Saint Michel.   I will admit to an error in judgment on my part.   I had thought there would be an option to skip the climb and stay on the ground level.   If the option was offered I missed it.   Thus,  the climb was on.  It is a beautiful site!  I'm glad we dared it!  I will probably need a few days to recover though!  My body is older than I care to consider! 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm glad you rewarded yourself – you deserve it!  I remember the steep ramp from sea level to the top [especially because the first time we literally ran up the first part trying to get in before they closed – too late, so we had to do it again the next morning!]

• Like 2

Lovely photos,  mysty, and well done for the climb.  You might have stiff legs in the morning?  At least you have earned more than your share of drinking and eating lovely things this evening.

Lola

• Like 1

Currently sailing to Rouen where we are expected to dock at 2:30 pm.  There is a Grand Northern Voyage event today to Monet's gardens surrounding his Giverny home followed by a dinner at Domaine Du Chesney, a Seine-side country manor.

On the story of COVID cases there are currently 3 passengers in isolation with mild or no symptoms.   No crew are positive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The internet access went AWOL yesterday just after I posted.  On our return from the event at 10:40 pm we still had no internet.   The Gardens were lovely,  the dinner venue was beautiful the weather was thunderstorms as dinner began.  I'll update as soon as I can get a coffee. 😆

• Thanks 1

The  Giverny trip sounds great - and the gardens look lovely - one place I have not been to so far.  I imagine you may be leaving Rouen today, when the tide is right.  Another look at the bucolic scenes on the way.  Did you have people waving at you from the banks on the way in?  We did, on Seabourn, but it was early evening when they were at home, and standing in their gardens.

The Church in Honfleur is lovely, if you are not going on a long trip there, and some delightful little shops round the picturesque harbour area.

Hope the storm has passed - we have had a bit of it here too.

Lola

• Like 1

Just now, lincslady said:

The  Giverny trip sounds great - and the gardens look lovely - one place I have not been to so far.  I imagine you may be leaving Rouen today, when the tide is right.  Another look at the bucolic scenes on the way.  Did you have people waving at you from the banks on the way in?  We did, on Seabourn, but it was early evening when they were at home, and standing in their gardens.

The Church in Honfleur is lovely, if you are not going on a long trip there, and some delightful little shops round the picturesque harbour area.

Hope the storm has passed - we have had a bit of it here too.

Lola

There were some folks waving from their yards.   It was Sunday so many folks were out and about.   Tomorrow in Honfleur we are taking the excursion to see the Bayeux Tapestries.   Another long day!  Old bones are begging for a respite.  😆

• Like 5

We have just begun our sail back down the Seine.   Captain has advised that internet will be spotty due to the twists and turns of the Seine.  We are scheduled to dock in Honfleur at 1:00 am.  Currently 1 passenger case of COVID in isolation and supervised.   Tomorrow after our excursion we will have the COVID test required for in-transit guests.   All digits crossed that we pass this! 

• Like 1

Mysty, your photos and some others I’ve seen from Rouen sent me scurrying to look at future itineraries.  But there are none at this point listed on SS including Rouen!  Thanks for sharing this lovely stop with us- you have a one-of-a-kind itinerary! 

• Like 1

I'm going to hustle to post before we lose internet access.  Our excursion was to the Norman Abbeys outside of Rouen.  First up was Abbaye de Jumieges.

DSC08914.JPG.f9dda0889491a569f2902733edc92de6.JPG

DSC08916.JPG.7457b1c8bcf6a3aef7fa7a80bba16fb5.JPG

DSC08920.JPG.3468bc8bc21e60a3a95b83a37dcd78ff.JPG

DSC08924.JPG.5d6e85d3cb560d9248c40e8e87b6bdfa.JPG

Next was Abbaye Saint Georges de Boscherville.

DSC08944.JPG.4beade8d9fd6ead00f9953b321000829.JPG

DSC08947.JPG.d457c35e98a1ddb61da8955a4e48c832.JPG

I had other pics I intended to post.  However, CC is definitely having issues with portrait as opposed to landscape shots.  I refuse to jump through hoops to get these to post.  CC kindly fix your issues!

Edited by mysty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting, M! I have only seen the Abbaye de Jumieges from a distance as we cruised by.

If you're so inclined you can send the miscreant photos to me and I'll rotate them and post for you. But it's really annoying that it's so hard to fix this issue!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for posting, M! I have only seen the Abbaye de Jumieges from a distance as we cruised by.

If you're so inclined you can send the miscreant photos to me and I'll rotate them and post for you. But it's really annoying that it's so hard to fix this issue!

Thanks JP!  The pictures were taken on a Sony camera and I never had a problem with the random rotation before.   You would think that CC would address this issue as they encourage folks to do "live from" threads.   Your offer to help is much appreciated! 🥰

• Like 1

Arrived back at the Moon around 5:30 pm and joined the queue for COVID testing.   Things moved along well.

The excursion to see the Bayeux Tapestry was amazing!   The guide was excellent!  The Tapestry is a wonder to see and the audio delivered through individual audio sets that looked like a cell phone was well paced and entertaining!  The excursion included lunch which was more like a dinner and was spectacular.  Egg tart with salad, followed by duck with pureed carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Dessert was an apple disassembled pie with ice cream.  The excursion cost was $249 USD each and worth every penny! 

Edited by mysty
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Three words that rarely occupy the same sentence. 

Forecast for Southampton area over next few days warm and sunny. I'm in the North East of England and was sunbathing at 22 degrees today! South will be warmer. Enjoy!

• Like 1