Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

Just now, lincslady said:

mysty -I think you are/have been in Porto?  Wonder if you have done anything exciting there, like a port wine tasting in a lodge, or similar.  An attractive city.

Lola

We were booked for Oporto & Douro River excursion.  The day dawned with fog and mist.   Our travels to the Moon, the time zone difference and our age made for a decision to cancel the excursion.   Sorry Lola!

• Haha 1

Lunch at Kaiseki was delicious.

445045105_image9(1).jpeg.9f70456feac6bbc4e6f8771d95d67578.jpeg127306867_image8(2).jpeg.f11033c417ea9dd70f638ba6fc8049dd.jpeg1383267432_image2(6).jpeg.e9836bac22acbd88ddaba43ad6d12d58.jpeg

Apologies for the sideways postings.   Don't have the peanuts to struggle with this.   Cruise Critic kindly action this ridiculous issue!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mysty said:

We were booked for Oporto & Douro River excursion.  The day dawned with fog and mist.   Our travels to the Moon, the time zone difference and our age made for a decision to cancel the excursion.   Sorry Lola!

Sounds highly sensible to me. 🙂

• Like 2

I quite understand - after the traumas of wondering if you would get to the ship in the first place, a few days R and R and being looked after and recharging the batteries on the lovely meals and drinks is just what you need - you do after all have plenty of time to go on adventures.

I do wish the photos - almost everyone's - could be the right way round, it really gives you neck ache!

Lola

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Those actions are familiar to us!😉

Edited by zqtchas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mysty said:

The Cruise Director is Katherina Fragkedaki and the Hotel Director is Marius I. Sima.  Working on the last bit. 

I wonder if that is the same Katherina who was Roy Perez's assistant CD on board Spirit last November? I took a look at the Chronicles for that voyage but I can't find her last name.

Mysty, here are your pictures from Kaiseki, rotated upright. 

1311279270_1.1.jpeg.e65826ec0c6bfb5bd1d7d85c0b4a3ffe.jpeg

1143976226_2.1.jpeg.61392de68a1c6c9f306812d0399d603d.jpeg

1427950491_3.1.jpeg.e6ea049730f7d41fa5da4cea55f4cfd3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jpalbny said:

I wonder if that is the same Katherina who was Roy Perez's assistant CD on board Spirit last November? I took a look at the Chronicles for that voyage but I can't find her last name.

Mysty, here are your pictures from Kaiseki, rotated upright. 

1311279270_1.1.jpeg.e65826ec0c6bfb5bd1d7d85c0b4a3ffe.jpeg

1143976226_2.1.jpeg.61392de68a1c6c9f306812d0399d603d.jpeg

1427950491_3.1.jpeg.e6ea049730f7d41fa5da4cea55f4cfd3.jpeg

Thank you JP!  I tried to rotate them properly for about 15 minutes and then threw in the towel.   My patience with technological issues is shorter than I am! 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

St Jean de Luz today.   Beautiful sunny day. We took an excursion into the Basque Countryside.   Excellent guide!  We learned a lot about the Basque area which straddles France and Spain.  Pictures may follow if the goddess of photos decides to play nice. 😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My itinerary for your trip, which I found somewhere, suggested that you were going to La Coruna and Bilbao before St. Jean?  I had been visualising you going round the Guggenheim today.  Oh well, mystery becomes mysty.  Anyhow, hope you can post the photos.

Lola

• Like 1

My itinerary for your trip, which I found somewhere, suggested that you were going to La Coruna and Bilbao before St. Jean?  I had been visualising you going round the Guggenheim today.  Oh well, mystery becomes mysty.  Anyhow, hope you can post the photos.

Lola

Interestingly Lola we were informed over a month ago that both Bilbao and La Coruna had been taken off the itinerary due to COVID issues.   The Silver Whisper was able to dock in Bilbao last month.   Pretty sure the issue for our cruise was NOT COVID related.   Not sure what the issue was though. 

Our tour today took us into the Basque countryside outside of St Jean de Luz.  First stop was Ainhoa for views of typical Basque architecture.

DSC08712.JPG.45f4a988ea087dc4403d9d260c9f7fe5.JPG

The church of Notre-Dame-de-L'Assomption.....

DSC08726.JPG.44e5c769633a8ce418574d8477c7bce9.JPG

Then on to the village of Sare to visit an historical Basque Farm.....

DSC08734.JPG.e6b5e0636da1163d4ca9fcc37f819b80.JPG

DSC08743.JPG.cccfa85bda76a2783d77ee1df9852eaf.JPG

We enjoyed a sample of cider along with ham, cheese and Basque cake.

DSC08756.JPG.15ef272419d2993e3c30665e83f9b25e.JPG

And the goddess of photos smiled!  😁

• Like 12

The S.A.L.T. Bar is amazing!  Small space with entertaining bar staff and wonderful cocktail creations!  Dinner at Atlantide last night was delicious!  This morning dawned with warmth and milky sun.  Temps are expected to reach mid 80s F.  Sailing on mirror finished seas to arrive in Bordeaux this afternoon at 4:30 pm.  Life is grand! 

• Like 9

We ended up with some lovely OBC for this cruise due in part to the cancelation of St Petersburg and the cancelation of the ship ahead luggage option.  We booked some at cost excursions and were left with a bit of credits to enjoy.   Bring on the Connoisseur's Wine List.   We met with the Head Sommelier Biljana this morning in La Dame.  I had some wonderful suggestions from a lovely friend and working with those and Biljana's suggestions we purchased wines which will be set aside for us.  We are country mice so this opportunity to taste the nectar of the gods is exciting! 

• Like 12

It sounds as if everything is lovely at present - long may it continue.  Richly deserved, after the time you have put in over the past couple of years to cheer everyone up on the cooler, and also your kindness in comforting those who have been having a bad time.

Looking forward to seeing Bordeaux, and maybe even a visit to a chateau or winery?  And hearing about your extra special wines on board.

Lola

• Like 4

It sounds as if everything is lovely at present - long may it continue.  Richly deserved, after the time you have put in over the past couple of years to cheer everyone up on the cooler, and also your kindness in comforting those who have been having a bad time.

Looking forward to seeing Bordeaux, and maybe even a visit to a chateau or winery?  And hearing about your extra special wines on board.

Lola

Thank you Lola! 🥰  We have 2 excursions booked for St Emilion.   The first is tomorrow at 5:00 pm.  Tomorrow afternoon we hope to visit Le Bar a Vin.  https://baravin.bordeaux.com/en/ .  If the goddess of photos cooperates there will be pics.  And I will provide reactions to the wines we purchased. 😁

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 7:52 AM, mysty said:

Interestingly Lola we were informed over a month ago that both Bilbao and La Coruna had been taken off the itinerary due to COVID issues.   The Silver Whisper was able to dock in Bilbao last month.   Pretty sure the issue for our cruise was NOT COVID related.   Not sure what the issue was though. 

We just got off the Grand Mediterranean Voyage May 6 and were told by a few of the guests remaining on board for the full Grand Northern Europe that the northern Spanish ports were cancelled due to political unrest in the area.  Nothing to do with Covid at this point.  The Covid protocols were handled quite well aboard the Moon and despite the fact we were on the 6th floor, we felt safe.  We wish we could have stayed aboard for the full voyage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mysty said:

This morning dawned with warmth and milky sun.  Temps are expected to reach mid 80s F.  Sailing on mirror finished seas to arrive in Bordeaux this afternoon at 4:30 pm.

Ahhh… spring time in Paris, I mean Bordeaux.  How lovely that sounds.  Enjoy your overnights there, Mysty!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

The Covid protocols were handled quite well aboard the Moon and despite the fact we were on the 6th floor, we felt safe.  We wish we could have stayed aboard for the full voyage.

I didn't realize this. Silver Sea quarantines on the 6th floor. Do you know which cabins?

7 minutes ago, scseas said:

I didn't realize this. Silver Sea quarantines on the 6th floor. Do you know which cabins?

For the Silver Moon, it was at the bow or front of the ship on the 6th floor.  This section was completely separated from the rest of the floor by glass doors.  We were not alarmed and never felt unsafe.  All of the guests quarantined were either asymptomatic or had mild symptoms and the Captain made daily announcements to the guests of the number of positive cases, whether they were guests or crew and their status.  By the time we disembarked in Lisbon, there was only 1 case.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m a bit late to the party (I Don’t check in here much nowadays) but I’d love to wish you both a fantastic adventure. I’m sure Liverpool in particular will be amazing xxx 

Thanks DW! 🥰

Another beautiful sunny day here in Bordeaux.  Currently chilling on the pool deck.  Our excursion St Emilion After Hours leaves at 5:00 pm.  It's a 5 hour tour which includes a 1 hour and 45 minute guided walk and about 1 hour and 45 minutes of free time.  We will grab a bite to eat before we leave as there is no meal included.   After lunch on the pool deck we'll explore Bordeaux.

• Like 5