Canada to USA Flight Documents

ALD18

Understand the antigen testing requirements, but a bit blurry on some required documents to enter the USA.  You need a valid passport, negative antigen test one calendar day prior to departure, and proof of 2-3 COVID vaccination shots.  There is confusion of an "attestation" document required by the airlines prior to departure.  It sounds like a current health check questionnaire, but have heard it can be upwards of 7 pages long.  Is this attestation document given to you at the airport to fill out, can you download and fill out prior to flight, or is there no attestation form at all?  Checked both Air Canada and Westjet pages and it seem like there is, but vague at best.  Thank you.

Here's a link to the form:  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Combined-Passenger-Attestation-Amended-Testing-Order-12-02-2021-p.pdf. As you will see, although 7 pages in length, there is very little information required from the average traveller.

I've not flown to the US since the form has been implemented, but I understand that the required information be required by your airline during your online check in. I've also read a number of posts from CC members who have filled out the form, taken it to the airport, and no one was interested in seeing it.

• Like 2

I just flew to the US on Feb 25th and the attestation was completed during online check in for West Jet. No one ever asked to see it. The airline asked to see proof of vaccination and negative covid test but they were the only ones checking.

My concern is the part about "documentation of recovery."  If, while getting off a cruise in Vancouver, I test positive, then I need to quarantine in Vancouver for 10 days.  To return to the US, I then need either a negative test, or a letter from a doctor saying I have recovered.  How easy will that be to get? 

My sister in law was unaware of the attestation form and is flying to US this weekend with AC.  One of the reasons I asked the question.  She was unaware of what it was.  I forwarded info from above so she would be ready for it.  She apparently got an email from AC yesterday with the attestation form attached so she will ultimately be prepared.  Nice of AC to do that I thought.   

Edited by ALD18
typo

3 hours ago, bigAWL said:

My concern is the part about "documentation of recovery."  If, while getting off a cruise in Vancouver, I test positive, then I need to quarantine in Vancouver for 10 days.  To return to the US, I then need either a negative test, or a letter from a doctor saying I have recovered.  How easy will that be to get? 

While this article is aimed at Canadians, it explains the process and gives a link to a telehealth agency that’s doing letters for a fee.

https://flytrippers.com/letter-of-recovery-usa-travel/

If you are quarantined, I assume that you will be in contact with local health authorities. Presumably they will be able to provide a letter, or arrange a doctor's appointment should your test still show positive at the end of your quarantine period.

Bear in mind that if you return to the US by land, you only need proof of vaccination. You could then take a domestic flight to your US destination, with no test requirement. If you do have to quarantine, you'll need to change your flight plans anyway, so changing them to a Seattle departure shouldn't be an onerous addition.

2 hours ago, ALD18 said:

My sister in law was unaware of the attestation form and is flying to US this weekend with AC.  One of the reasons I asked the question.  She was unaware of what it was.  I forwarded info from above so she would be ready for it.  She apparently got an email from AC yesterday with the attestation form attached so she will ultimately be prepared.  Nice of AC to do that I thought.   

Can you please tell me 

does AC sends this form when I do online check in which will be 24 hrs before flight time as I understand 

or

is there any other options to do this before 24hrs departure 

thank you.

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

While this article is aimed at Canadians, it explains the process and gives a link to a telehealth agency that’s doing letters for a fee.

https://flytrippers.com/letter-of-recovery-usa-travel/

Thanks, that's helpful!

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

If you are quarantined, I assume that you will be in contact with local health authorities. Presumably they will be able to provide a letter, or arrange a doctor's appointment should your test still show positive at the end of your quarantine period.

Bear in mind that if you return to the US by land, you only need proof of vaccination. You could then take a domestic flight to your US destination, with no test requirement. If you do have to quarantine, you'll need to change your flight plans anyway, so changing them to a Seattle departure shouldn't be an onerous addition.

I've considered this.  I've read some DHS guidance about crossing the land boarder from Canada.  While testing is not required, it does say, "Travelers that exhibit signs or symptoms of illness will be referred to CDC for additional medical evaluation."  It's not clear what that means, and it makes me wonder if they may ask for verbal confirmation that you have not tested positive recently.  Any idea?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/frequently-asked-questions-guidance-travelers-enter-us

1 minute ago, bigAWL said:

Thanks, that's helpful!

I've considered this.  I've read some DHS guidance about crossing the land boarder from Canada.  While testing is not required, it does say, "Travelers that exhibit signs or symptoms of illness will be referred to CDC for additional medical evaluation."  It's not clear what that means, and it makes me wonder if they may ask for verbal confirmation that you have not tested positive recently.  Any idea?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/frequently-asked-questions-guidance-travelers-enter-us

Shouldn't matter as local health authorities are unlikely to let anyone leave quarantine until they test negative.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

Shouldn't matter as local health authorities are unlikely to let anyone leave quarantine until they test negative.

But some people continue to test positive for months.  That's why you don't have to show a current negative test when entering the U.S. by air if you can show a recent positive test (10-90 days prior) and proof of recovery (as confirmed by a health professional).  

But some people continue to test positive for months.  That's why you don't have to show a current negative test when entering the U.S. by air if you can show a recent positive test (10-90 days prior) and proof of recovery (as confirmed by a health professional).  

This is largely a feature/bug of PCR tests, antigen tests should show negative once infectioness has passed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 14Canadian said:

Can you please tell me when is your flight to USA 

pour flight is on March 27th 7.30am from YYZ TO FLL. I haven’t heard anything from AC.

thank you.

We got the email 3 days pre-flight - so you still have some time! 🙂

• Like 2

If you are flying Air Canada you can go to "my Bookings"  click on the "covid 19 Entry requirements" and then this comes up:

Most travelers from Ottawa, YOW with proof of full COVID-19 vaccination can enter Los Angeles, LAX via Toronto, CAN, but there are restrictions.

Search instead for Not fully vaccinated  >

Travel restrictions (2)

COVID-19 testing

Visa requirements

Documents required (6)

+1 more

Back

Travelers must complete a travel attestation form before arrival. This form will be provided by the airline. Airlines may let you complete your attestation electronically during check-in or via partner apps such as VeriFLY. In this case, it is not necessary to print the form, but travelers may do so as a precaution. Section 1 of the form below must be completed by all travelers while section 2 must only be completed by travelers that are not citizens or residents of the USA.

Download PDF

Source

For full details and exemptions, see

CDC - FAQs

When you click on the Download PDF the form is there for you to fill out and print off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Keata said:

If you are flying Air Canada you can go to "my Bookings"  click on the "covid 19 Entry requirements" and then this comes up:

Most travelers from Ottawa, YOW with proof of full COVID-19 vaccination can enter Los Angeles, LAX via Toronto, CAN, but there are restrictions.

Search instead for Not fully vaccinated  >

Travel restrictions (2)

COVID-19 testing

Visa requirements

Documents required (6)

+1 more

Back

Travelers must complete a travel attestation form before arrival. This form will be provided by the airline. Airlines may let you complete your attestation electronically during check-in or via partner apps such as VeriFLY. In this case, it is not necessary to print the form, but travelers may do so as a precaution. Section 1 of the form below must be completed by all travelers while section 2 must only be completed by travelers that are not citizens or residents of the USA.

Download PDF

Source

For full details and exemptions, see

CDC - FAQs

When you click on the Download PDF the form is there for you to fill out and print off.  

Thanks so much for the information, leaving April 5 for our first trip in 2 years.  Overwhelmed by things we need to do …… your help is much appreciated.

• Like 1