RCI European Sailing Protocols

I spoke to RCI today too.  The information I got was that you can sail without a booster but if you are over 270 days out from your 2nd dose then you are not considered up to date and that you DO have to pay the $55 for every port on the list plus an antigen test within a day of initial sailing. 

So for my cruise which is Rome/Santorini/Turkey/Mykonos/Naples that would be from my understanding $275 and five tests in that week for my family member who will be over the 270 days and not boosted.

The agent also said everything is changing a lot so check back 60 days before sailing.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:13 AM, 1947wwjd said:

We have the 1st cruise out of Rome on Brilliance on May 9.  Do you know if you will be able to get off in ports to do your own thing versus ship tours?  Thanks.

We are on this cruise also.  From what I’ve been reading is you can do your own thing if fully vaccinated.  However we all need a negative COVID test taken no sooner than 1 day before boarding which means Sunday or boarding day.  We are flying in on the 7th and hope we can for me a place open in Rome on Sunday for the test

The rules aren’t clear or can be interpreted a few ways. 

Am I right in thinking kids sub 11 but over 2 will get a test at the terminal and don’t need a test in advance or do they get classed as unvaccinated and need a test in advance and and get another test at the terminal by RCL?

I get what we need a test up to 2x days before but for the kids it isn’t clear, they have 1 jab but can’t get the second until we get back unfortunately. 

13 minutes ago, scooby1 said:

The rules aren’t clear or can be interpreted a few ways. 

Am I right in thinking kids sub 11 but over 2 will get a test at the terminal and don’t need a test in advance or do they get classed as unvaccinated and need a test in advance and and get another test at the terminal by RCL?

I get what we need a test up to 2x days before but for the kids it isn’t clear, they have 1 jab but can’t get the second until we get back unfortunately. 

Celebrity have said that a person under 18 with a certificate of recovery from within the past 180 days that have one vaccine are classes as fully vaccinated - but this varies depending on port. It’s in their European protocols. As RC’s sister company, RC may issue the same guidance. 
***Exception:  If a guest from UK/EU under 18 years of age has Certificate of Recovery and only one dose of a vaccine series they are considered fully vaccinated.

11 hours ago, bradg said:

They also say being up to date is strongly recommended, and if you aren't up to date, then you have to pay $55 for onboard tests.  So I am assuming, which can be dangerous sometimes I've learned, that it's not required to be up to date per the EU...? 

As for EU: If you are not up to date (aka 2 shots or 1 J&J more than 270 days ago) you are regarded as non vaccinated. So you can only enter an EU country with a current test. That´s why a non up to date person needs a test prior to every port.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, little britain said:

I know the booster doesn’t expire;

you know the booster doesn’t expire… but someone seems to have failed to tell RCI this…..and I for one wouldn’t risk turning up for a cruise if I was “out of date”! 

According to the European Medicines Agency (EMA), being up to date means you have had the second dose of your original vaccine series, or a booster dose, within the past 270 days – 

As mentioned previously the correct wording is in your Royal App under Health and also here on your email stating ‘2nd vaccine’ if no booster received   95B75F23-5672-43B4-836D-7DB0A37EBFD0.thumb.png.c1d4d6c01b55d2f3ed8a131103472002.png

18 hours ago, rew wellies said:

Celebrity have said that a person under 18 with a certificate of recovery from within the past 180 days that have one vaccine are classes as fully vaccinated - but this varies depending on port. It’s in their European protocols. As RC’s sister company, RC may issue the same guidance. 
***Exception:  If a guest from UK/EU under 18 years of age has Certificate of Recovery and only one dose of a vaccine series they are considered fully vaccinated.

Yeah but the kids haven’t had COVID so that doesn’t count for us. 

Just that the statement from RC isn’t clear. Do we treat the kids as unvaccinated in which case they need a pre test or as Kids and they get a test at the terminal or both. Anyone else had this clarified by RC yet?

2 hours ago, scooby1 said:

Just that the statement from RC isn’t clear. Do we treat the kids as unvaccinated in which case they need a pre test or as Kids and they get a test at the terminal or both. Anyone else had this clarified by RC yet?

I don´t really understand what´s not clear with this statement by RCI:

Children age 11 and under do not require COVID-19 vaccination to cruise. However, kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the protocols for vaccinated guests.

If your kids under 12 are vaccinated they have to provide the proper documentation plus a test. They are not tested at the terminal.

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

I don´t really understand what´s not clear with this statement by RCI:

Children age 11 and under do not require COVID-19 vaccination to cruise. However, kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the protocols for vaccinated guests.

If your kids under 12 are vaccinated they have to provide the proper documentation plus a test. They are not tested at the terminal.

steamboats

Hello,

I think what's unclear are the consequences on-board of being one or the other.

Are children 11 (and under) and vaccinated allowed into places where children 11 (and under) and unvaccinated are not allowed to go?

Regards,

Cublet

The question is whether the unvaccinated children need to take a test ‘no more than one day before sailing’ as mentioned above in addition to the day of boarding 

• Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 will be required to take a complimentary antigen test at the terminal and must receive a negative result in order to sail. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Edited by Gumpxyz
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gumpxyz said:

The question is whether the unvaccinated children need to take a test ‘no more than one day before sailing’ as mentioned above in addition to the day of boarding 

• Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 will be required to take a complimentary antigen test at the terminal and must receive a negative result in order to sail. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Spot on. 

They get a test at the terminal by RC so are they excluded from needing a test 1 day before? You would think yes, but that isn’t clear as they are unvaccinated but also children. Why do kids get 2 tests and adults one? 

Edited by scooby1

I'm booked on B2B Brilliance 5/22 and 5/29 out of Ravenna.  Final payment for the first leg is due next week.  I will be cancelling and had been waiting for them to release the Europe protocols, which frankly have left me more confused than I was before due to inconsistent language.

I booked under CWC and have paid a total of $1,000 so far ($500/week, non-refundable deposits).  Would really like to get a refund rather than FCC's especially since I don't know if I can cruise by 5/22/23.  My adult son was cruising with me -- he has had two doses but no booster (he had a bad reaction to the 2nd shot and is very reluctant to get the booster as a result), and his 2nd dose was over 270 days ago. 

So here are my questions:  Will the fact that his last dose was more than 270 days ago and no booster be a sufficient or accepted reason for me to say I don't agree with their protocols -- so that I can get a refund instead of FCC's?  Anyone have any luck canceling Europe cruises yet due to not agreeing w/ the newly-released protocols, and been told they'll get a refund instead of FCC?

TIA!

1 hour ago, scooby1 said:

Spot on. 

They get a test at the terminal by RC so are they excluded from needing a test 1 day before? You would think yes, but that isn’t clear as they are unvaccinated but also children. Why do kids get 2 tests and adults one? 

I’m guessing because all passengers 12 and older must be vaccinated. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I could find the French government Covid regulations regarding cruise ship passengers? 

I have just found out that as I am from a country (Australia) designated as "Orange" by France that I will not be permitted to get off the ship at any French port. This is despite the fact that I can enter France by any other means without a Covid test as I am fully vaccinated and boosted and that I will have been travelling around Europe for four weeks prior to the cruise.

Final payment is this week and I don't want to make final payment if I can't get off the ship at three ports. I would like to research the French Covid regulations regarding cruise ship passengers to see if this is a blanket regulation or only for unvaccinated people or people coming directly from Australia. I have emailed asking these questions but not had a reply and also rung twice but no-one has been able to help me.

Thanks for any help or advice.

IMG_20220416_210603.thumb.jpg.9544b3d7fcd2d44614917f8ce2741a8f.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller

1 hour ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Does anyone know where I could find the French government Covid regulations regarding cruise ship passengers? 

I haven´t found any specific about cruise ship passengers but here is the official French website stating that vaccinated travelers can visit France. Only unvaccinated travelers from Orange countries are restricted.

steamboats

• Thanks 2

It's still unsettling how this is worded on RCCL website. Our boosters will be over 270 days when we sail and don't necessarily want another just to cruise.

To be considered up to date by all European countries we sail to, your vaccination must meet both of the following requirements.

1. You received your most recent vaccine dose no more than 9 months (270 days) ago. This could have been the final dose in your original vaccine series (or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson), or a booster dose.

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

It's still unsettling how this is worded on RCCL website. Our boosters will be over 270 days when we sail and don't necessarily want another just to cruise.

To be considered up to date by all European countries we sail to, your vaccination must meet both of the following requirements.

1. You received your most recent vaccine dose no more than 9 months (270 days) ago. This could have been the final dose in your original vaccine series (or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson), or a booster dose.

Hello,

I think there was been a copy and paste in the wrong place - this is more correct:

You received your most recent vaccine dose no more than 9 months (270 days) ago, or a booster dose. This could have been the final dose in your original vaccine series (or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson).

To be 'up to date' this is what the CDC, Dr Fouci and EU have published. The EMA has also published that there is currently no evidence to suggest the need, or benefit, from a second booster.

I also think this: There are possibly too many people posting on RCI's website that are not either under control or conferring with one another. Quite possibly their English isn't too hot either.

Regards,

Cublet

3 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Native Floridian, I've just resigned myself to waiting until the last possible minute and seeing what the official word from RCI is at that point.  They've got to clarify.  I know in many if not all other places it states the booster does not have to be within that 270 frame.  So many others have posted those other statements.  But for me personally, that one unclear statement from RCI must be rectified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cublet said:

I also think this: There are possibly too many people posting on RCI's website that are not either under control or conferring with one another. Quite possibly their English isn't too hot either.

Cublet this is a very likely scenario.  I hope they can clear up the English to reflect accurate information (it's got to be 2 shots within 270 OR a booster at any time, nothing else makes sense.)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Levi is good said:

Cublet this is a very likely scenario.  I hope they can clear up the English to reflect accurate information (it's got to be 2 shots within 270 OR a booster at any time, nothing else makes sense.)

Which is what the app says, which the only place I've seen it expressed in a clear and easy-to-understand manner:

"To be considered up-to-date, guests must have received all doses in their vaccine series and their booster if the second vaccine dose was administered over 270 days (9 months) ago." (my emphasis).

The only further clarification this would need, imo, is to add "or the single JJ dose". 

So what i think it says.

Vaccinated guests age 6 and up. (Must have full course of jabs to be considered fully up to date) 1 (J &J) or 2 other brands. (EMA approved)

Full course is described as.....

Ist ( J &J) or 2nd jab must be within 270 days of sail date

Or

If you have had a full course and  booster jab then you fully up to date, irrespective of the 270 day rule. ( Booster has no end date)

Vaccinated guests require a supervised test (PCR or Antigen) no later then 1 day before departure. 

Un vaccinated guests all ages. 

If your jabs are NOT fully up to date you must test at the terminal before boarding. 

Free for under 12s

55 USD for over 12s. 

Testing to go ashore per country.

Vaccinated none 

Unvaccinated:

Free if under 12

55 USD for 12+

Masks 

Optional for fully vacc.

Unvacc over aged 2 including kids  mask up in certain areas. 

I think that covers most of it and thats my understanding. We all know RCL admin is poor. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

I haven´t found any specific about cruise ship passengers but here is the official French website stating that vaccinated travelers can visit France. Only unvaccinated travelers from Orange countries are restricted.

steamboats

Thanks, that is where I have looked for information and also couldn't find any mention of cruise ship passengers. When I rang I was told that they had no information as to where the French government regulation is and to just make final payment and hope that more information would be given in the future. Not very helpful when trying to work out what to do. Thanks for looking.

13 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Which is what the app says, which the only place I've seen it expressed in a clear and easy-to-understand manner:

"To be considered up-to-date, guests must have received all doses in their vaccine series and their booster if the second vaccine dose was administered over 270 days (9 months) ago." (my emphasis).

The only further clarification this would need, imo, is to add "or the single JJ dose". 

Hello,

This post may only be understood by Brits of a certain age that watched Morecambe and Wise with special guest Andre Previn. Eric started 'playing' Grieg's Piano Concerto. Andre stopped him saying he was playing all wrong notes. Eric grabbed Andre by the lapels and said he was playing 'all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order'.

And this is what is going wrong with the postings on the website - the words/phrases are right in isolation, but not where they have been placed.

But, as the saying goes - You can't put an old head on young shoulders.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

When I rang I was told that they had no information as to where the French government regulation is

The call centers don´t have a clue at all. They can only read what´s on the website (or their information system). I doubt that even a supervisor may do better as the supervisor has the same information.

NCL had it completely wrong on their website and a lot of people were not allowed boarding (partly because they didn´t have the booster and the last shot was more than 270 days, no mention on their website that you need a booster to board then / partly because the booster was less than 14 days ago - as there is no 14 days rule they should have been allowed boarding). Now they got it right on their website.

It´s a total mess...

steamboats

• Like 1