Marina

ciaoYacht

Traveling on Ovation May 28 - June 4 from Barcelona to Rome and was wondering if the the marina might be open then for waterspouts… as it’s still early in the season at that point m. Any past experiences in this region during this timeframe would be appreciated. 

10 hours ago, ciaoYacht said:

Traveling on Ovation May 28 - June 4 from Barcelona to Rome and was wondering if the the marina might be open then for waterspouts… as it’s still early in the season at that point m. Any past experiences in this region during this timeframe would be appreciated. 

I am on the Rome to Barcelona on June 26.  I was curious if this is done on tender ports?

It's definitely only done at tender ports; the marina platform is never used when the ship is docked at a pier. 

From what I've read, it is rarely used in the Mediterranean, probably because most of those cruises are pretty port-intensive. If you have to skip a port for some reason, or if you're at anchor in a quiet location, you might see it one day. 

• Like 1

It helps to reply if you do a quick list of your ports, but on the info supplied, I have only ever seen the marina used one time on a Western Med cruise. That was at a little tender port in France called Le Lavandou. 

The marina is used more frequently for Eastern Med ports, e.g in Greece.

Thanks for the replies so far.  We are in port every day, and none are tender ports.  Here is the schedule:

May 28, 2022 Barcelona, Spain
May 29, 2022 Palamos, Spain
May 30, 2022 Sete, France
May 31, 2022 Monte Carlo, Monaco
Jun 1, 2022 Toulon, France
Jun 2, 2022 Ajaccio, Corsica, France
Jun 3, 2022 Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy
Jun 4, 2022 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Was hoping to use the marina but it doesn't seem likely.

• Thanks 1

I will be on the July 3rd Sojourn cruise. Our tender ports are Sanary-Sur-Mer, St Tropez, Portovenere, Portofino, and Bandol. This is my first Seabourn cruise and it would be unique for me to jump off in the marina and swim in the Mediterranean Sea. I'm hoping it's available. Has the marina been open for any of these ports?

ciaoYacht, Thanks for listing your ports.

I think it's unlikely. I've been to all of those with SB except Ajaccio. Is it a tender port? If so I guess it's a possibility, but the use of the marina is dependent on sea conditions and as lincslady said the port authority may not allow it even if the sea is perfect.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bonnieg said:

I will be on the July 3rd Sojourn cruise. Our tender ports are Sanary-Sur-Mer, St Tropez, Portovenere, Portofino, and Bandol. This is my first Seabourn cruise and it would be unique for me to jump off in the marina and swim in the Mediterranean Sea. I'm hoping it's available. Has the marina been open for any of these ports?

I think you may have two possibilities here. I know that the marina was used previously at Bandol, alternatively Sanary-sur-Mer is possible. So you may be in luck at one of these ports.That's assuming both are still tender ports and that the sea conditions are right. 

In my experience I would say best advice is to not expect a marina day, so then if it is used it will be a bonus.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ciaoYacht said:

Just looked at your itinerary and it seems that you will be docked at a pier every day of your cruise.  That would mean there is no opportunity for a Marina day or Caviar in the Surf (my favorite SB event).  

Hank

• Thanks 1

Thanks a little disappointing. I assumed we wouldn’t do caviar in the surf due to the time of year and the Med still being relatively cold, but was hoping for some water sport activities nonetheless. Guess I’ll just have to book a Caribbean cruise for the winter!

@ciaoYacht Others may disagree, but I think putting much emphasis on the marina is off the mark. We've experienced "marina days" on a few Caribbean sailings and think it's much ado about, well, relatively little. It's typically just a couple hours after lunch. You can use one of a few kayaks, a paddle boat, or get towed around on an inflatable couch or banana boat for a few minutes. There's no swimming (unless your vessel overturns). I'm not saying those activities aren't fun, especially in a scenic location, but to me, there's just not a lot to be excited about... nor to be disappointed about in its absence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@ciaoYacht Others may disagree, but I think putting much emphasis on the marina is off the mark. We've experienced "marina days" on a few Caribbean sailings and think it's much ado about, well, relatively little. It's typically just a couple hours after lunch. You can use one of a few kayaks, a paddle boat, or get towed around on an inflatable couch or banana boat for a few minutes. There's no swimming (unless your vessel overturns). I'm not saying those activities aren't fun, especially in a scenic location, but to me, there's just not a lot to be excited about... nor to be disappointed about in its absence. 

Thanks cruiseej, I do agree with you that it’s not the be-all-end-all of the experience but I’ve never sailed on Seabourn before so I was hoping to get the total experience… Also my partner and myself are on the younger side (36 and 40) and we still enjoy lots of sporting type activities like hiking and kayaking, etc. and the banana sounds awesome, so it would be fun if offered. 

1 hour ago, ciaoYacht said:

Funny, I just got this mailer today from Seabourn for Mediterranean cruises, talking about the “Marina Day”…

Still guessing none of the ports I listed qualify, however. 

53A56627-4DB7-4A42-AEA3-59D0EBDAD64E.jpeg

I have found Marina Day to be a rare occurence--mainly because the stars have to be in alignment.  It has to be the right port AND the right weather conditions.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:18 AM, ciaoYacht said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  We are in port every day, and none are tender ports.  Here is the schedule:

We have done the Med a few times and I agree the Marina is used on tender ports not when docked. All of these ports are docked. I have seen the Marina used a few times but mainly in the smaller places like St Tropez, Amalfi, Portovenere etc. Even then it is dependent on weather and boat traffic, so whether the ship's Master thinks it is safe enough to deploy.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I have to agree, the 'marina day' can be a little overrated.  That being said, it was good fun on Koh Kut/Kood in Thailand. 

The inflatable couch is the best option as you have it all to yourself and can 'encourage' the officer driving to make it a little more exhilarating.  Watch the staff being towed around and you will understand what you are missing.  Of course they don't want to injure any of the elderly passengers which is why most of the rides are very sedate.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:18 PM, ciaoYacht said:

So I was on a 2018 cruise on board Encore for one week Barcelona-Rome (Civitavecchia) 

SB changed some ports of call, my schedule was

Aug 18, Barcelona

Aug 19, Mahon, Menorca, Spain

Aug 20, Marseille, FR  

Aug 21, St Tropez Fr

Aug 22, Ajaccio, Corsica

Aug 23, Monte Carlo

Aug 24, Portovenere, Italy 

Aug 25, Civitavecchia, Rome

From these ports I really liked visiting Marseille and St. Tropez that SB removed from schedule, regardless the warm weather and early ship's departure. 

I'm also wondering about the marina.  I'm on the Odyssey April 28 Panama Canal cruise.  One stop is Cabo San Lucas, which is a tender port.  Another tender port is Santa Barbara (but the water is probably too cold).  Anyone know if the marina is ever used in these ports?

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by CabinBoy2020

On 3/24/2022 at 6:46 AM, mcondition said:

So I was on a 2018 cruise on board Encore for one week Barcelona-Rome (Civitavecchia) 

SB changed some ports of call, my schedule was

Aug 18, Barcelona

Aug 19, Mahon, Menorca, Spain

Aug 20, Marseille, FR  

Aug 21, St Tropez Fr

Aug 22, Ajaccio, Corsica

Aug 23, Monte Carlo

Aug 24, Portovenere, Italy 

Aug 25, Civitavecchia, Rome

From these ports I really liked visiting Marseille and St. Tropez that SB removed from schedule, regardless the warm weather and early ship's departure. 

We love the Ajaccio, Corsica port.  Memorable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ciaoYacht said:

Did the open the marina there?

No.  There was no Marina at the Corsica port.  But, the port itself was wonderful.  We went by boat to a beautiful grotto and explored the walled city.

I don't think you should expect the Marina on  your cruise.  You will probably be very disappointed if you do have this expectation,  and might be tempted to blame Seabourn.  It is entirely up to the Captain and he makes his determination based on location, sea and weather conditions, water conditions and who knows what else.  I can only remember seeing the Marina on two of our cruises and I can't even remember the locations now  

You expecting to have a day with the Marina would be like me expecting to go Shopping With the Chef.  Even though Shopping With the Chef is often advertised, I have never been able to do it.  I think it happened on one of our cruises,  but participation was extremely limited.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1