Who has recently boarded MSC in Florida using NAAT Covid test from Walgreen's?

relaxatsea

There is some controversy about this on another thread, so I would like to hear if any of you have successfully boarded an MSC ship sailing to the Caribbean from the U.S. with the Covid NAAT test used by Walgreen's and CVS.  We have always used this for Royal Caribbean, and on the MSC site, there is a section under "FAQ" which indicates that NAAT is one of the accepted tests, but in other places it does not specifically say NAAT, so people are now confused.  Apparently the MSC phone reps don't know for sure, so I am seeking your experience.  We are sailing from Miami to the Caribbean on Seashore April 16.  I know it is hard to get a straight answer from MSC on the phone, so I prefer to hear what has happened to you. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I am also a little more than confused about the testing.

It appears that the emed is the only one that is guaranteed you can go aboard( if negative), while there is controversy about the others. I also see that many places for testing now are not able to assure that you will have results right away. 

Much as i hate to pay the exorbitant fees for the test, i sure as heck dont want to get to Miami and be denied boarding.

These were the choices at Walgreens....

• PCR Laboratory Test
    •  Results typically available within 48 hours²
    •  Meets pre-travel testing requirements
  • Rapid NAAT Test
    •  Results available within 2 hours
    •  Meets most pre-travel testing requirements; check with your destination to verify
  • Rapid Antigen Test
    •  Results available within 2 hours
    •  Check with your destination to verify that this test meets pre-travel testing requirements

....I selected the middle option and my results read.....

Test Ordered

Rapid NAAT Test

Tested for

SARS-CoV-2

Result 

Negative

.....which got me, wife, and 2 children (all same test type) onto Meraviglia out of Port Canaveral earlier this month. 

To put this too bed and help others, below is the email I received yesterday from MSC when I asked the same question regarding boarding in Miami in April:

Thank you for contacting MSC Cruises  we  have received your email request

Yes the  NAAT   test  is acceptable .

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises and have a great day! 

Best Regards, 

MSC Cruises Reservations Team 

MSC Cruises (USA) Inc. 

6750 N. Andrews Avenue, Suite 100 

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marcfj said:

To put this too bed and help others, below is the email I received yesterday from MSC when I asked the same question regarding boarding in Miami in April:

I reached out to existing reservations and haven't heard back, but it's only been a little past a week.

The person (won't say customer service rep) I spoke to at MSC when I called to ask; told me that unless I was buying something, he couldn't help me as he doesn't know anything about anything but sales!

Thank you for posting your response from reservations. 

I sailed both in January and March on MSC and I will sail again on Sunday.  EAch time I use either Walgreens or CVS for their rapid tests.  No problem.  Be aware that Walgreens books out appts. about a week out and CVS books about 12 days out.  Although CVS is not etched in stone...it seems they change where and when you can get the test on a whim.   I am on a b2b beginning Sunday but on different cruise lines.  Yesterday was my week out to book at a Walgreens in Cocoa Beach for when I disembark one ship and prepare to embark on the other  and at 5 a.m yesterday, the earliest of the reservations for testing were sold out at the nearest Walgreens.  I needed an early time slot for 3 of us so had to choose the next closest Walgreens.

Just warning:

If you received email approving NAAT, please let us know the email address or give us actually scanned of the email so we can take it to the check in. 

When we requested, they DENIED ever saying NAAT is approved.  She repeated twice, if you do not have Antigen or PCR, you would need to go to local testing site and get the results before ship sails.  No refunds or credit towards your next booking since you are responsible for getting the correct test results.  If it comes positive, that would be another story.  You have to fly back home and request for refunds.  

Summary - Sure thing is Rapid Antigen or PCR.  Anything else, you are gambling until you are inside the ship.  Maybe this would be my last sailing with MSC.

How did you receive your results.  The form they sent me said I will need to create a MyChart and go there for results.  Is that right or do they email you something? I have a choice between CVS or Walgreens and am selecting the rapid antigen option.   Thank you.  

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

How did you receive your results.  The form they sent me said I will need to create a MyChart and go there for results.  Is that right or do they email you something? I have a choice between CVS or Walgreens and am selecting the rapid antigen option.   Thank you.  

Walgreens results emailed. We have used both, prefer Walgreens. 

• Thanks 1

We used the Walgreen NAAT test on January @ Miami (seashore) no problem. 

I posted the exact same question before hand and someone explained that it actually is an antigen test. You can search for that thread under my login name. 

• Thanks 1

Any updates? Did you get on Relaxatsea? MSC is denying allowing NAAT when I contacted them through Facebook. I sent an email but no response. I have been told wrong things by them before, such as that we had to test EXACTLY 3 days out and not within 3 days. The employee was adamant, so I don’t trust what any of their customer service employees say. They seem to have poor training. This whole thing is so silly since CDC guidelines for cruise ships recommend NAAT. I don’t want to take a 2 hour day trip and pay $200 out of pocket for a rapid RT-PCR if I don’t have to. So annoying !

I finally got a customer service representative who listened to me, was willing to let me send her an email with my screenshot of their FAQ that mentions NAAT and also screenshot of CDC recommendations for cruise lines. She spoke with 4 supervisors. She said they all stand corrected and company wide emails will be sent out. An email was also sent to IT to request that all sections read the same and include NAAT. The problem is that they have trained their employees from only one page on their site, which doesn’t mention NAAT. They would not issue me any former statement, however. She said to take the same printed screenshots she showed the supervisors to the port. 

Two days ago I took screen shots from the FAQ page noting that NAAT was acceptable even though we had previously used that test from Walgreens when boarding at Port Canaveral on the Mera. Just now booked our tests at Walgreens, April 14 for our April 16 sailing on Seashore out of Miami. Gulf coast of Florida, testing still available.

Thank you manystars and cellfree!  I had also printed that page from the FAQ (although it took some effort to find it) a couple of weeks ago and put it with my boarding documents.  MSC has a very long way to go with their customer service training and I hope that they will, indeed, correct this on their website and also get the correct information to all of their employees, especially on the phone and at the ports.

Cellfree, we will be with you on the Seashore on April 16, and I also just made reservations for April 14 at our local Walgreen's for the NAAT test.  Bon Voyage!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 12:35 PM, relaxatsea said:

There is some controversy about this on another thread, so I would like to hear if any of you have successfully boarded an MSC ship sailing to the Caribbean from the U.S. with the Covid NAAT test used by Walgreen's and CVS.  We have always used this for Royal Caribbean, and on the MSC site, there is a section under "FAQ" which indicates that NAAT is one of the accepted tests, but in other places it does not specifically say NAAT, so people are now confused.  Apparently the MSC phone reps don't know for sure, so I am seeking your experience.  We are sailing from Miami to the Caribbean on Seashore April 16.  I know it is hard to get a straight answer from MSC on the phone, so I prefer to hear what has happened to you. Thanks in advance!

All the rapid tests except home tests are accepted.  This question has been asked multiple times.